American Heart Association Reviews | Glassdoor

1. Featured Review

"Saving Lives is Why"

Current Employee - Data Analyst in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Data Analyst in Dallas, TX

I have been working at American Heart Association full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

I have been with the American Heart Association for a decade now and what invigorates me to come to work every day is the fact that what I do ultimately contributes towards helping people live healthier and longer. As an employee of this organization, I am passionate about making an extraordinary impact by creating a brighter future where no one dies of cardiac arrest. Our mission of saving lives is not just a cliché that we say. It is embedded in the core of our hearts and is what drives us in everything we do.

Cons

I can't think of any right now. I believe that AHA is very competitive and consistently strives to be one of the top employers both in the profit and non-profit world.

Advice to Management

I love the fact that the top executives of the AHA walk the talk of our mission each and every day and demonstrates consistently our core values. I would love to see the same commitment and passion in every member/level of management, holding them accountable to lead by example and reflect the same values.

American Heart Association Response

Nov 28, 2017 – Talent Acquisition & Engagement

Thank you for taking the time to submit your review. We appreciate everything you do for our mission and we look forward to your continued support in helping people live a healthier life free of... More

2. "Experience working at the AHA"

Current Employee - Operations Manager in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Operations Manager in Dallas, TX

I have been working at American Heart Association full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great work-life balance and ability to work with volunteers and others within the field to help advance the mission of reducing heart disease and stroke. Grants funded by the AHA help support the research focused on cardiovascular disease and stroke. People that work for the organization take pride in their work and for the overall mission. Opportunities to take leadership and management style courses to help improve skills and advance with more responsibility and be promoted within the organization.

Cons

Have not experienced any specific cons since beginning to work with the organization.

3. "Data Analyst"

Pros

This Company doesn't deserve it

Cons

no manners no ethics doesn't know how to respect an individual

4. "Development Director"

I worked at American Heart Association full-time

Pros

Coworkers were friendly and easy to work with. I really enjoyed working with the volunteers.

Cons

The organization focused more heavily on fundraising than its mission. The programs and initiatives should receive more attention.

Advice to Management

Lead with your mission. Most non-profit employees work in the field to contribute to the cause and donors are more likely to contribute to a worthwhile cause than just an event.

"Development Director"

Current Employee - Development Director in Des Moines, IA
    Current Employee - Development Director in Des Moines, IA

I have been working at American Heart Association full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great work life balance and great salary for non-profit

Cons

Sink or swim work in development, you need to be able to jump right in. Only a con if you prefer longer training

6. "Senior Accounts Payable Associate"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX

I have been working at American Heart Association full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

They help everyone around the world

Cons

There are no Cons working for AHA. They are great!

Advice to Management

I have no advice.

"Let’s Be Hosnest"

Former Employee - Director in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Director in New York, NY

I worked at American Heart Association full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great Benefits. Good health, dental and vision. Affordable for people with kids. Has a 401k that is
    nice. Vacation time is good.

Cons

Let’s be honest. The mission of the AHA is the only thing that makes sense. The organizational structure, number of upper and middle management positions that are basically slapping a whip to get directors to meet unrealistic goals and the fact that if you truly look at their tax return their biggest expense is salaries (not because these employees are doing programs in the communities). This money is going toward the over populated upper and middle management positions mentioned above that sit in front of their computers slapping a verbal whip of “how much money are you bringing in today.” Money and supervisor’s bonuses are focus of the organization. Now a portion of money raised does go towards research but not as much that could if the organization wasn’t so top heavy. Upper and middle management make 5 digit bonuses when directors hit goal. That adds up when there are too many layers. The work environment for directors can be described at times as hostile and abusive when meeting with management. You are instructed to bring in the dollars or else. Volunteers are treated like employees instead of people donated their time and resources for the organization. And goals are set at unrealistic levels.The turnover rate is extremely high. The worst part of the organization is that if you do bring up any concerns to HR about supervisors, nothing is done. If considering this organization, look again. The positive comments posted by current employees is something almost staged. When too many people speak the truth, they send mass emails out directing current employees to post positive reviews on Glassdoor. It’s all smoke and mirrors.

Advice to Management

Do a complete overhaul. Go back to the mission and your biggest expense should be research and actual programs.

8. "Director"

I worked at American Heart Association full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Worked for an amazing cause !

Cons

Sometimes expectations became un- realistic

9. "Administrative Assistant"

Current Employee - Administrative Assistant in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Administrative Assistant in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at American Heart Association part-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

AHA staff is devoted and loyal

Cons

Work-life balance is a struggle

Advice to Management

Hire people that you trust

10. "Great Place to Work!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Springfield, MA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Springfield, MA

I have been working at American Heart Association full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

I love working for a strong, well known non profit. My role has meaning and I feel as though I am having impact.
    The benefits are amazing.
    There are job opportunities to grow if you are willing to look and move around.

Cons

As a non-profit we have a heavy work load and at times resources are limited.

Advice to Management

Appreciate your staff and let them know.