American Heart Association Reviews | Glassdoor

American Heart Association Reviews

Updated January 31, 2017

Pros
Cons
  • Work/life balance is often challenging (in 53 reviews)

• Virtually no work/life balance whatsoever (in 16 reviews)

"Account Manager"

Former Employee - Senior Account Manager in Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Senior Account Manager in Dallas, TX

Pros

The mission of the organization, the dedication of the field staff, benefits are excellent, decent salary for a non profit.

Cons

Upper management at the national level is absolutely tone deaf. They preach work/life balance, yet most field staff work at least 60 hours a week. Leadership team not in touch with the daily challenges the field staff face....very reluctant to change.

Advice to Management

Look inward, employee dissatisfaction and constant turnover indicate issues at the executive level.

"Youth Market Director"

I worked at American Heart Association full-time

Pros

It was great working with schools and students. The customer base was great and very supportive. Amazing group of volunteers.

Cons

The management micro managed the youth market directors. There was not enough practical training and I was not sure what we were really raising money for,the American Heart Association is just another big corporation.

"Too much pressure and stress for a "health" organization"

Former Employee - Executive Director
    Former Employee - Executive Director

I worked at American Heart Association full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The overall lifesaving mission of the AHA is commendable. Volunteers and survivors enjoy being a part of the AHA events and lives are impacted locally.

Cons

The corporation does not truly care about making an impact only raising money. There is constant pressure to always raise more, setting impossible goals and putting excessive pressure on staff when they are not achieving impossible goals. This is not a job for a person with a family who want to have work life balance. Although the message of the dangers of stress is common knowledge, it is hypocritical of the AHA to create such a stressful work environment for their employees.

Advice to Management

Celebrate successes and set realistic goals! Appreciate employees and ease up on the stress and pressure you put on them. Provide more resources to help your staff achieve goal. And practice what you preach!

"National Center - limited career growth & surprisingly cut throat"

Former Employee - Marketing Manager Nutrition in Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Marketing Manager Nutrition in Dallas, TX

I worked at American Heart Association full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Excellent benefits and work/life balance, good cause--which you have to weigh against the low pay.

Cons

- Leadership values outside agency expertise over employees' professional perspective.
     - Manager-level employees can't seem to get ahead; many have been there for years with no title change.
     - Lengthy hiring process leads to hiring 2nd and 3rd choice candidates, which results in the organization being comprised of a bunch of B & C players.
     - What do B and C players do? They are insecure and easily threatened, so they are political, mean spirited, and play dirty.
     - Questionable business decisions that are not produced with strategic planning or forethought.
    - Crippling silos and duplication of efforts between departments. Strategically disorganized.
    - Very top heavy as an organization. Senior leaders get promoted quickly and with seemingly no logic.

Advice to Management

Fix the duplication of efforts between departments. Provide a real (not superficial) career path.

"RUN AWAY"

I worked at American Heart Association full-time

Pros

Great benefits and extreme training plan

Cons

The fundraising goals are way out of line and the expectations of mgmt. are unrealistic.
    No matter what your goal is....they continue to raise it.

Advice to Management

Listen to your donors and your staff

"Project Coordinator"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX

I worked at American Heart Association full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Non-profit organization. 7.5 hour work days. Company offers many positions that are work from home.

Cons

Salary is on the low scale unless you are in upper management. No room for advancement especially if you do not have a masters degree.

"Amazing Mission, Not so amazing work environment"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Long Beach, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Long Beach, CA

I worked at American Heart Association (More than a year)

Pros

Getting to be a part of an organization that is truly saving lives

Cons

Absolutely no work life balance.

"Director of Heart Walks"

I worked at American Heart Association full-time (More than a year)

Pros

great training. Learn a lot. Respected non-profit. Make good connections depending on city you work in.

Cons

Treat employees like they are someone who can be easily replaced. No respect for internal candidates and what they have done. When promoted you get barely any raise. very stressful. Upper management gives you big goals and saying no is not an option.

Advice to Management

Respect your employees, listen to them and get their input on goals. Appreciate the ones who are successful and reward them.

"Business Development Director, Heart Walk"

Former Employee - Business Development Director in San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - Business Development Director in San Diego, CA

I worked at American Heart Association full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great relationships with volunteers, sales-like environment

Cons

Little direction, constant turnover, always "new" initiatives coming down from the top, everything is a priority.

Advice to Management

I was told, "don't become and AHA robot". The volunteers I worked with raised more money than previous years within a 3 month period. One day I walked into a meeting with my boss and executive and they told me that it would be my last day with the AHA. No coaching, no documentation, nothing but great feedback from my volunteers and fundraising companies. I was completely blindsided by this. Two weeks after the Heart Walk, and they showed me the door. All of my volunteers wrote to me proclaiming their extreme dissatisfaction with this decision. Many of whom offered to help me find employment within their own companies. How can your organization or division be successful if you terminate people and move people when things don't go your way? It's a huge disappointment to my volunteers and me, as a survivor of a heart condition.

"No Work/Life Balance"

I worked at American Heart Association full-time (More than a year)

Pros

-decent benefits
    -decent pay for a non-profit organization

Cons

My workload required me to work 50-60 hours a week. My boss would only come in for 25-30 hours a week.
    I was forced to cancel by vacation last minute even though it was approved a month in advance.

Advice to Management

Please truly evaluate your upper-management because many are lazy and complacent. Many provide no support or motivation to support staff.