American Homes 4 Rent Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-time Part-time

2.9
Rating Trends Rating Trends
David Singelyn

Pros
  • Excellent for growth if you can adapt easily to rapid changes due to fast paced growth (in 12 reviews)

• Salary, good benefits, Paid time off (in 10 reviews)

Cons
  • Overtime is sometimes mandatory and upper management is not very supportive (in 18 reviews)

• There is no room for advancement within the company, therefore making it a very numb environment (in 6 reviews)

1. "Is not as bad as others say"

I have been working at American Homes 4 Rent full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good earnings, good benefits. Growing very fast .

Cons

Too many negative reviews in BBB and Facebook

Advice to Management

Need to turn those negative reviews around

"Coordinator"

Former Employee - Coordinator in Las Vegas, NV
    Former Employee - Coordinator in Las Vegas, NV

I worked at American Homes 4 Rent full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Compensation and benefits are not bad. The people I worked with in most cases were great. I eventually was under a management team allowing me to learn ways I would never manage a team.

Cons

No room for advancement if you are capable of management, unqualified people are put into management roles, nepotism throughout the company, some people were fired for minimal issues while other unethical employees that had proof of their behavior are still with the company.

Advice to Management

Open your eyes and pay attention to what us going on. This place has become a lawsuit waiting to happen. The company as a whole has potential if you eliminate the gossip, nepotism, favoritism and poor management.

3. "Maintenance Coordinator"

Former Employee - Maintenance Coordinator in Las Vegas, NV
    Former Employee - Maintenance Coordinator in Las Vegas, NV

I worked at American Homes 4 Rent full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Steady scheduling. Good structure, good benefits

Cons

Impossible deadlines. Overtime is sometimes mandatory and upper management is not very supportive

"If you want to work at a company where you're just a number then this is the place"

Former Employee - Asset Management in Agoura Hills, CA
    Former Employee - Asset Management in Agoura Hills, CA

I worked at American Homes 4 Rent (More than 3 years)

Pros

The people in the corporate headquarters in Agoura Hills are cool. It's a pretty laid back environment with minimal micro-managing.

Cons

They don't care about their employees or their employees growth. Little to no room to grow. This company has huge capital and it would be nice if they appreciated their employees more, even if it's just by doing team outings every once in a while. There's also a lot of people who should have been fired a LONG time ago, but still manage to have a job there and get by by doing the bare minimum. Also, there's a HUGE lack of training with regional property managers.

Advice to Management

Pay attention to your employees. Weed out the slackers and invest in your employees. So many people at your company have so much potential, but by you treating them like a militant servants and not giving them the opportunity to grow with you as a company is embarrassing. Hire people of quality and not just someone with minimum to low experience. You're tenants have nothing but bad things to say because of the lack of good property managers.

6. "A Career Worth Having"

I worked at American Homes 4 Rent full-time

Pros

AH4R is a company that appreciates their employees.

Cons

This is a new company with constant internal restructure.

Advice to Management

Please be open and honest with your employees about your agenda.

"Property Manager"

I worked at American Homes 4 Rent full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good health insurance -
    If you have Any other option, take it.
    Believe what you read. It's all true.
    Gave it one star because 0 wasn't an option.

Cons

Unrealistic expectations from inexperienced manager. I watched illegal activities among upper management, which only received a wrist slap and then a promotion.
    A poor excuse for a property management company.
    If you happen to have friends there who hire you, you can expect to receive raises and bonuses, and promotions, even if you're not qualified.
    I was told, a number of times, to "say anything" to get people to pay the rent.
    I wished I'd known more about the company before I'd signed on.
    I know for a fact that the positive comments are made by higher ups in the company.

Advice to Management

Treat people fairly and have some plans in place. It's time to stop running this company by the seat of your pants.
    You might also think about hiring people of integrity.
    Evidently, not a requirement.

8. "Heavy workload"

I worked at American Homes 4 Rent full-time

Pros

Out in the field, not in an office.

Cons

Long hours due to overload of assignments.

Advice to Management

Hire enough staff to handle the load.

9. "AH4R"

I worked at American Homes 4 Rent full-time

Pros

Good pay and free coffee. If you like to help people and don't mind dealing with angry tenants and feel like you have the ability to calm them down and really help them resolve the issue they are having, go for it.

Cons

When others call out sick, it takes little time for the calls to pile up, putting 50+ calls in your hands

Advice to Management

Reviews should be done monthly or every other month instead of yearly so those who put most of the load on their plate are rewarded for it sooner than later.

American Homes 4 Rent Response

Feb 8, 2017 – Vice-President - Director, Human Resources

Thank you for your feedback! I can certainly empathize with how having a team member out with an unplanned absence can impact the rest of the team. To clarify the review process for the Call Centers ... More

"Finance-Temporary"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Agoura, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Agoura, CA

I worked at American Homes 4 Rent full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The HR, IT and Facility teams are vey responsive and supportive. HR on-line tools are interactive and very easy to use. Desktop computers, monitors and phone systems are top notch. The front desk is always cheerful, and mail room/supplies are fully stocked with everything needed to perform efficiently.

Cons

Room for advancement and/or opportunity to step up into a more visible role in some departments is limited, and C-Suite executives rarely interact with rank & file employees . This seems on par given the high proportion of hourly employees in all departments. Work from home is not an option in most cases. And social interaction is not encouraged, so team building is sometimes awkward.

Advice to Management

Cohesive and uniform oversight, one message, one set of rules needed so departments don't stray from the company's overall mission statement. If it exists, then the Company owns it. I'm not talking about policies, but more about the environment and flattening the management styles. Have more fun in the office! We spend more time at work than anyplace else. Happy employees produce higher quality.

11. "Truly loved my job"

Former Employee - Property Manager
    Former Employee - Property Manager

I worked at American Homes 4 Rent full-time

Pros

I really enjoyed my time with AH4R, I had a strong support system. Senior levels always had my back. Yes, policies would change but that's too be expected with a new progressive company. Salary and benefits were good for me. The company culture is amazing.

Cons

The room for advancement was not there for me.

Advice to Management

Keep pushing forward, you guys are the future in this industry.