KEY NOT FOUND: coverImgAlt

Found 374 of over 383 reviews

3.7
American Homes 4 Rent Chief Executive Officer David Singelyn
David Singelyn
Pros
  • "If you get the opportunity to work with AH4R, take it(in 26 reviews)

• "I have worked for American Homes 4 Rent for almost 3 years with great leadership and growth opportunity, as I was recently promoted(in 22 reviews)

• Cons
  • "Upper management hire friends and you can’t discuss anything with your supervisor’s boss because they are buddies(in 23 reviews)

• "High school backstabbing within the office & bad talking their tenants(in 12 reviews)

• More Pros and Cons
    Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.
    1. 5.0
      Current Employee, less than 1 year
      Featured Review

Homebuilding and New Communities for AH4R

Sep 16, 2020 - Construction - New Homes in Atlanta, GA
      Business Outlook

Pros

I have worked for a couple of the big name homebuilders and I can honestly say that joining the AMH Development team of AH4R is one of the best career decisions I have made. The product we build is consistent and we build all the homes for the same customer - OURSELVES! Our production pace is steady and we didn't even flinch during the COVID craziness this Spring. AH4R is a strong company financially (53,000 homes owned!) and I like that we are leading the way our newly built Communities of rental homes.

Cons

We are still a fairly new homebuilding company and working on processes and system improvements.... But who isn't? The leaders listen, care and are typically willing to make common sense decisions to make things better - can't really ask for more than that.

2. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 3 years

Great job

May 14, 2021 - Field Superintendent in Charlotte, NC
      Business Outlook

Pros

Great staff. There is opportunity to move up in the company

Cons

Field Superintendent’s need more bonus incentives (which they’re working on), so that the field doesn’t feel like they’re not valued

3. 2.0
      Current Employee, more than 1 year

Homebuilding side - Think twice before joining.

Apr 30, 2021 - Acquisitions - Homebuilding
      Business Outlook

Pros

- The business model works and has huge potential - If only management would stop creating road blocks and start taking the necessary steps to help employees and not just discourage them. - There are a lot of great people to work with who want to contribute and grow the company. - The company continues to get huge investments and there is huge upswing potential.

Cons

- Failed executive leader who is unwilling to invest in the personnel and resources to help make the company successful. - Those who are willing to put in the work and care about the future of the company will only be rewarded with more work until they reach their breaking point or are let go. Very high turnover rate. - Direct management can only do so much as executive leadership has a false sense of homebuilding experience and refuses to listen to those they hired to do the job. -You will be met with continuous false promises of improving current systems and processes which only result in an increased work load and frustration - One step forward two steps backward. - There is a constant fear among all employees of being terminated due to the hostile executive leadership, which only carries down the ranks and shows throughout the company.

4 people found this review helpful
    4. 2.0
      Former Employee, more than 3 years

Used to be great. Do not recommend working under current conditions in IT.

Jun 30, 2021 - IT Employee in Agoura Hills, CA
      Business Outlook

Pros

Prior to the new CTO's arrival, working conditions were great. Highly collaborative environment with management that valued input. The employees were treated like real people with understanding and caring supervisors. Other departments seem to have smart and caring managers. Employees in the Agoura office are easy to get along with.

Cons

After the new CTO arrived, everything changed. Mistakes were not tolerated, results came first, and every minute of the work day had to be accounted for. Workers were humiliated in front of the entire team for understandable errors. We were told in an all department meeting that "If you disagree with the way we're doing things, talk to me and I'll tell you why you're wrong."

5. 2.0
      Former Employee, less than 1 year

Home and work life balance is horrible

May 31, 2021 - Property Manager in Atlanta, GA
      Business Outlook

Pros

The pay is competitive And the benefits package is decent

Cons

The property managers and field teams are inundated with work and antiquated processes. The title property manager itself is disingenuous because the property managers DO NOT manage and aren’t allowed to make decisions. They are processors, highly micromanaged and a catch all for escalations, many of which could be avoided if the company took more care in streamlining drawn out processes and overall efficacy. The company strains both the field and PM departments by setting high expectations while providing very few resources to complete tasks in a timely and quality manner. It’s as if they only care about making money, not doing the job efficiently. Many of the Atlanta property managers and field team members are overwhelmed and feel burned out. The company is too successful financially to not adequately staff and support this market area. Both the field and property management teams can use more help. If they valued their employees as they pretend to, they wouldn’t feel burned out.

1 person found this review helpful
    6. 2.0
      Former Employee

gossip central

Jul 22, 2021 - Revenue Analyst in Las Vegas, NV
      Business Outlook

Pros

cafeteria, perks, compensation, benefits, location

Cons

gossip, attitudes, large office with cubicles

7. 3.0
      Former Employee, more than 5 years

Culture changes

Jul 9, 2021 - Anonymous Employee
      Business Outlook

Pros

Company was growing and moving in new direction.

Cons

If not part of certain teams or cliques you are not valued much.

8. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 3 years

Enriching Experience

Apr 8, 2021 - District Maintenance Manager in Salt Lake City, UT
      Business Outlook

Pros

Pushing the boundaries of the industry to stay at the forefront. Training and growth opportunities for all employees. Upper management that listens to concerns and accepts new ideas. I have found my time with AH4R to be deeply rewarding. I started with the company as a maintenance technician and now I'm undertaking the position of District Maintenance Manager for three western markets. I have been given opportunities here that I don't think I would have ever had with a different company. AH4R believes in using internal talent and resources to build a strong organization.

Cons

I don't have any cons for this company.

9. 1.0
      Current Employee

Maintenace

Jul 8, 2021 - Business Owner in Indianapolis, IN
      Business Outlook

Pros

the company has a great work-life balance

Cons

far too many chiefs and not enough Indians. The company does not care about tenants. They only care about reports and getting leasing contracts signed.

1 person found this review helpful
    10. 4.0
      Current Employee, more than 5 years

Company Review

May 19, 2021 - Field Manager
      Business Outlook

Pros

Great company to gain experience and knowledge of the housing industry.

Cons

Workload and expectations can get overwhelming, especially starting out.

Viewing 1 - 10 of 374 Reviews