American Honda Finance Reviews | Glassdoor

2.7
Tetsuo Iwamura

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • This is your typical call center where you work for 8 hours a day behind a desk (in 14 reviews)

• Some of the departments include customer service, customer accounts (collection), funding, lease maturity, etc (in 12 reviews)

1. "Auditor"

Pros

Great place to work, great environment

Cons

There wasn't a specific end of the day time to get off work

Advice to Management

none

2. "Great for moving up"

I have been working at American Honda Finance full-time

Pros

- Not a cutthroat corporate culture
    - Good benefits
    - Encouraging atmosphere

Cons

- Variation of work really depends on your managers, as anywhere else... however I've seen some managers go unchecked despite high turnover rates in their department

3. "Business Analyst"

I worked at American Honda Finance full-time

Pros

Great company to work for. Stress is minimum and the benefits are good. Great work/life balance.

Cons

Pay can be low but you have job security. Sometimes hard to move up because employers do not want to leave the company.

4. "Temp"

I have been working at American Honda Finance full-time

Pros

Good people to work with.

Cons

The every day work load is slow and boring.

5. "Opportunity for growth if you work hard"

I worked at American Honda Finance full-time

Pros

Raises, Paid Time Off, Solid management structure, Senior management team is visible and very bright.

Cons

Compensation is not top tier.

Advice to Management

n/a

6. "Honda is the power of dreams"

Former Employee - Senior Financial Analyst in Torrance, CA
    Former Employee - Senior Financial Analyst in Torrance, CA

I worked at American Honda Finance (More than 10 years)

Pros

Great benefits and supports the individual

Cons

No cons at this time

Advice to Management

Keep up the great work supporting the company that supports the power of dreams.

"Where college majors go to die"

Former Employee - Funder in Cypress, CA
    Former Employee - Funder in Cypress, CA

I worked at American Honda Finance full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Most co-workers and other people in different departments are generally nice and helpful. Being in a/c for 8 hours a day during intense summer heat was probably the best part of working at this region. There are lots of free food, most of it unhealthy and fattening. I learned quite a lot and made a few friends. The pay was good, especially for a recent college grad with loans. The majority of us are contingent workers, it was nice sharing agencies and our majors.

Cons

The level of micromanagement here is intense, so intense it feels like harassment. Leads/seniors have no qualms about asking what you were doing in the bathroom or why you took so long coming back from your break (breaks are 15 minutes long but they expect you to take be back at least 1 minute before your break ends).

There is also weak leadership, especially in the funding department. Seniors would have inconsistent answers on procedures. A few seniors would actually make faces when you would ask for help even though they would stress how important it is to ask for help. One senior specifically would instant message you on the honda system to tell you to do things and would email "warnings" about how they would be checking your work three times a day. To mask the micromanagement, they would create really stupid competitions to ensure your work was being completed in the time frame they wanted.

The training is poor and although it last 2 weeks the majority of it is based on learning weird propaganda history about Honda and their philosophies and values which aren't translated at all in the region. Hands-on training only really happens when you make a mistake and the seniors would ream you. They offer little to no feedback on how well you are doing or what you should be doing better.

You don't really talk to anyone during the 8 hours of working. They want you quiet and concentrated. They also don't want you walking around. Like other reviews have said, this place is absolutely miserable if you enjoy stretching your legs and staying active.

There is also a lot of favoritism here. In the funding department, tossing a seniors' salad really got you places. Favorites were able to make mistakes, even with dealers emailing about how terrible these favorites were at their jobs. Favorites were allowed to lead really boring and horrible meetings. And favorites were given parties and given little cards when they were leaving their positions. It is an extremely draining place, mentally and emotionally. The unnecessary snark and micromanaging really ruined this place.

I ended up resigning for grad school, a secret I kept because there is a general understanding that a "professional" two weeks notice would not be honored. Honda is notorious for letting contingent workers go the same day they put their two weeks in.

There is a high turnover rate and management can be fake. Most people are there for 1 to 3 years before being hired on as permanent. How long it takes them to move up is really unknown. It seems like some of them have been there for a long time and have barely risen one step up. There isn't much room to grow and it really isn't much of a career. Oddly enough they only want recent college grads and anyone with a degree to do mundane, menial, and simple work.

Advice to Management

Stop micromanaging, it's unnecessary and annoying - it feels like harassment after a while, so chill. Be consistent with answers and procedures. Try to keep the snark to yourself and check yourself, just because you've been there for 5 yrs and barely risen one step up doesn't mean you get to act like your Jesus. Chill with the god complex and learn how to take criticism.

8. "DO NOT work here."

Former Employee - Customer Account Representative in Holyoke, MA
    Former Employee - Customer Account Representative in Holyoke, MA

I worked at American Honda Finance full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Your fellow Co-workers are great. They are always there to help.
    Location is nice. Quiet, calm and out of the way.
    The building is nice and secure.

Cons

SWITCH AND BAIT HIRING TACTICS, GAS-LIGHTNING BY MANAGEMENT, I DON'T KNOW HOW MANY DIFFERENT WAYS I CAN ADVISE YOU TO STAY AWAY FROM AMERICAN HONDA FINANCE CORPORATION: REGION 4 IN HOLYOKE, MA.

Management does NOT communicate with employees. If you are making mistakes, they do not sit down with you and talk to you about it. You will get it in a vague e-mail, if anything.

Team Captains are never available to help employees. They are too busy shuffling through cases (which take up most of their day) or helping other departments. The result is that they are almost always in "do not disturb" mode on Skype. Some Team Captains will even flat out ignore you if they walk by you and you turn to ask them a question, even when you say their name multiple times. They tell you

They will cut you loose at the drop of a dime. You will not get any warning, nor explanation. In the state of MA, employer laws state that your company does not have to disclose the reasons for termination. Team Captains and Supervisors choose employees based on favoritism. When you first start working at AHFC, the trainers and supervisors tell you "All you have to do is show up to work, be on time, show willingness to learn, and you will eventually get hired". This is not true. I did all of these things. Hard work and dedication are not appreciated. You can be doing the exact same things as a person who was hired a month after you were, and they would be granted more responsibilities and additional tasks before you are. It makes absolutly no sense. I have worked for a lot of companies, and this company by near and far away shows the least gratitude towards dedication, hard work and commitment.

I asked the TC's and Supervisors multiple times if there was anything wrong with my performance, or if I needed to change anything I was doing or if I was making any huge mistakes. The response was "You don't need to worry. Just keep doing what you are doing. If there are any major problems we will tell you" But then they ended my assignment with absolutly no warning whatsoever or indication that I was making large errors.

They are not willing to work with you. If you are a more slow learner than other people, they do not have the patience to teach you. They only want people who learn quickly and are fast on the phones. They get very impatient if they have to repeat things to you multiple times. I told them that I have a severe learning disorder and I apologized if I didn't always process things the first time they were told to me. I explained to them I do my best by taking notes and saving everything, and they stated that this was okay and we were square. Then when they let me go, they told me that one of the reasons why they let me go was because they had to repeat things to me multiple times. It didn't make any sense.

They want you to take as many calls as possible per day, but then you are more likely to make mistakes in your cases. If you take fewer calls so that you can adjust your cases properly and follow up on older cases, they complain that your numbers are falling.

They go by the '90-Day' stigma. In the state of MA, if you are employed through a temp agency and you hit 90 days, the company then has to pay 15% of your annual salary as a fee to the temp agency. They don't want to have to do this, nor offer you benefits. So they constantly churn out new temp employees and only hire through temp agencies for this reason. The turnover rate is alarmingly high.

To top this off, they will SLAM you with a TON of mandatory overtime that you were not told about in the hiring process. They will also have you work more than the mandatory 2 Saturdays a month which you were told about upon being hired. In the three months I worked there, I only had TWO weeks where I was not required to work mandatory overtime.

Management will gas-light you. I remember I was told to do and say certain things while I was in training, then while out on the floor, if I said those things on the phone, I got sharply reprimanded for it and told "you are not supposed to say that". I actually started to question if my memory was faulty...however I knew that it wasn't because when I went back and read my notes I wrote in training, and I had indeed been told to say those things. Not only this, but I remember I would be told different things by different TC's and Supervisors. One TC would tell me the correct method was method A, but then I would get reprimanded by another TC because the correct method was actually B. I went back and check notes and e-mails constantly because I was actually questioning the legitimacy of my own memory.

TC's and Supervisors want you to be patient with them, but they do not do the same for you.

Advice to Management

I don't even know where to start.

9. "Sr. Financial Analyst"

I have been working at American Honda Finance full-time

Pros

Work Life Balance, Great coworkers

Cons

Little chance of promotion since no one moves anywhere.

"Don't work here"

I worked at American Honda Finance full-time

Pros

Met some really nice people and free food.

Cons

There was a lot of micro management. I got let go after 4 days of training, They said I was too slow for the 4 days of training that I received. Which it didn't make sense since everyone I was training with said I was doing a good job. At least give me the full 2 weeks of training I was suppose to receive and by then if I was still slow then yeah let me go, but I didn't even get the chance to show off my true potential. They really don't care about discarding you like you are worth nothing, they can get many people to replace you. When I was there some guy put his two weeks and before he could complete his last week of work they got rid of him and told him not to come back the next day. They are not good people.