American Honda Motor Reviews in Torrance, CA | Glassdoor

Rating Trends Rating Trends
American Honda Motor President Tetsuo Iwamura
Tetsuo Iwamura

Pros
Cons
  • Would've liked to see some of the more current commuting options that other companies support such as telecommuting or a 9/80 work environment (in 6 reviews)

• Management, if you are a student or a agency personal they work you harder than their full time employees (in 3 reviews)

1. "Product Manager - Auto Sales, iN Product Development & Technology"

Current Employee - Product Manager - Auto Sales, IN Product Development & Technology in Torrance, CA

I have been working at American Honda Motor full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

The people here are like my family. We have all been here for 14+ years and counting. The work environment is always encouraging and amazing! Everyday, I am thankful for my job and coming to work!

Cons

The workload can be challenging and the different types of projects. Although, rising to the challenge and adjusting to learning and adapting to a face pace environment are amazing accomplishments once assigned projects are implemented.

Advice to Management

It's really hard to get a promotion once we are a Product Manager or an Assistant Manager. Any management vacancies are hard to come by since no one leaves until retirement.

2. "Overall good company"

Former Intern - Part-time Student Office Assistant in Torrance, CA
    Former Intern - Part-time Student Office Assistant in Torrance, CA

I worked at American Honda Motor as an intern (More than a year)

Pros

Worked at American Honda on the student program. Everybody was really nice. It was a good opportunity to learn and to meet new people.

Cons

No complaints in my time as a part-time student.

3. "Great Experience"

Former Intern - Sales Intern in Torrance, CA
    Former Intern - Sales Intern in Torrance, CA

I worked at American Honda Motor as an intern (More than a year)

Pros

This was my second summer working at American Honda Motor Corp. HQ in Torrance and I had a great experience. I was working under the Senior VP of Sales as well as many other departments such as R & D, marketing, Sales and Product Planning, etc. I very much enjoyed this entire experience and would go back.

Cons

There were some interns that didn't have a ton of work to do but weren't active enough in looking for other possible departments where they could've lend a hand. If you look for work, you'll find it.

Advice to Management

Better organize the internship program and work to increase relationships among interns.

5. "American Honda Motors a stress free work environment"

Former Contractor - Business Analyst in Torrance, CA
    Former Contractor - Business Analyst in Torrance, CA

I worked at American Honda Motor as a contractor (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great place to work and call home. There is plenty job rotation in different departments.

Cons

No real downside for working at Honda other than being a contractor. These positions can last a very long time and also a short time depending on the task and department you working in.

"corporate office"

Former Contractor - Intern in Torrance, CA
    Former Contractor - Intern in Torrance, CA

I worked at American Honda Motor as a contractor (More than a year)

Pros

Pretty much everyone is willing to help you - even if they're not in your department. Depending on your manager/lead the working environment can be quite enjoyable. Also, getting to work with traveling consultants from reputable companies gave me insight into their responsibilities. I learned a lot of functional skills very quickly in this job.

Cons

Again, depending on the manager, the work environment can be quite suffocating and unpleasant to work in. Additionally, there seems to be constant confusion between the different levels of management, in different regions of the world.

Advice to Management

There needs to be more communication between the different levels of management. This way, employees wont have to scrap a competed spread and create a new one in an entirely different direction.

"Specialist"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Torrance, CA

I have been working at American Honda Motor full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

The associates embrace the culture and Philosophy the founder put into place. The people helped to make the company a success.

Cons

Management does not practice the company's Philosophy.

Advice to Management

Start practicing what you preach to associates about Philosophy and values. The culture is not what it used to be. Can't expect associates to follow or try to reinforce values if management does not embrace themselves.

8. "None"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Torrance, CA

I have been working at American Honda Motor (More than 10 years)

Pros

Benefits. Work Culture and fellow employees. They try to things for associate's to improve morale.

Cons

Management need s to embrace change, telecommuting, dress policy. They are taking baby steps and not moving forward.

"Analyst"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Torrance, CA

I have been working at American Honda Motor (More than a year)

Pros

Great people working there. Nice environment. Open environment, no management offices

Cons

Temps and Contract workers are treated like crap. The only we are taken into account are for development of the company. Not taken into account for personal development.

Advice to Management

Cut the crap. Don't hire anymore temps or contracts. We are not happy with the treatment but we stay because we have dreams, family, and bills to pay.

10. "Not like it used to be"

Current Contractor - IT Consultant in Torrance, CA
    Current Contractor - IT Consultant in Torrance, CA

I have been working at American Honda Motor as a contractor (More than 10 years)

Pros

Nice campus - lots of trees and a fair amount of green area. Good location. Starbucks in lobby. Remodeled lobby/cafeteria to feel more "hip."

Cons

A CIO from IBM came in and pushed the outsourcing/offshoring model for IT. It's been a disaster. Service from the outside providers is awful, and nobody seems to care. The CIO left and now most is controlled from the plant in Ohio, where they LOVE outsourcing. Now getting even the smallest thing done takes two weeks and a bunch of forms/requests. About half of the IT staff in Torrance is Indian, and that trend continues to grow. Everyone else is slowly being pushed out. It looks good on the budget, but anyone who needs IT services gets shafted.

Advice to Management

Quit going for the cheapest. Would you buy the cheapest parts to make cars? No, because quality costs money. Try listening to the people who have to deal with the support people in India. They're not happy.

11. "fun, family oriented place to work"

I have been working at American Honda Motor full-time

Pros

lease program, cafeteria, coworkers are awesome, and benefits are great

Cons

pay could be better, pension is no longer available