American Honda Motor Reviews in Torrance, CA | Glassdoor

American Honda Motor President Tetsuo Iwamura
Tetsuo Iwamura

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • Would've liked to see some of the more current commuting options that other companies support such as telecommuting or a 9/80 work environment (in 6 reviews)

• The value from outsourced cheap labor results in full time employees wasting time to redo/resolve the original requested task (in 4 reviews)

"Product Manager - Auto Sales, iN Product Development & Technology"

Current Employee - Product Manager - Auto Sales, IN Product Development & Technology in Torrance, CA

I have been working at American Honda Motor full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

The people here are like my family. We have all been here for 14+ years and counting. The work environment is always encouraging and amazing! Everyday, I am thankful for my job and coming to work!

Cons

The workload can be challenging and the different types of projects. Although, rising to the challenge and adjusting to learning and adapting to a face pace environment are amazing accomplishments once assigned projects are implemented.

Advice to Management

It's really hard to get a promotion once we are a Product Manager or an Assistant Manager. Any management vacancies are hard to come by since no one leaves until retirement.

"Analyst"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Torrance, CA

I have been working at American Honda Motor full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Fun company to work for.

Cons

If you are married to someone at Honda, a certain ethnicity and if you can't speak several languages they will not hire you.

Advice to Management

Promote employees from within based on their proven work history and ethic. Not how they perform when asked behavioral interview questions.

"8 years a slave"

Current Contractor - Anonymous Contractor in Torrance, CA
    Current Contractor - Anonymous Contractor in Torrance, CA

I have been working at American Honda Motor as a contractor (More than 3 years)

Pros

Honda tends to hire very stable, professional people. People in my estimation are treated with respect at the work place

Cons

To understand their culture, one must first understand the hierarchy, or lack thereof. It is totally NON central. Meaning that each manager is their own serfdom. There is no one at the top leading. that is crucial to understanding them. So one manager might make a decision that will affect others without any oversight. Totally different from how the other asian auto companies operate (toyota, hyundai especially). Each boss of a departement did not get that job by knowing that area; usually transferred from purchasing or something. so this can be good, as the managers know nothing thus you will seem to be a great employee.

Advice to Management

Admit to all employees that virtually all jobs are going to OHio in the next 3 years.. Try very had to imagine how your actions affect the entire company and not just you and the 4 people below you. In truth, this is the fault of the corp. as a whole, not the individual managers.

"A cog in the wheel"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Torrance, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Torrance, CA

I worked at American Honda Motor full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Friendly co-workers, 401k, employee discounts, recognizeable company history

Cons

Management demands for you to come up with new concepts, but will actively discourage doing anything different. This makes staff lazy and complacent. Departments within departments within departments exist to justify themselves for needing to exist.

"do not do it"

Current Employee - Senior Coordinator in Torrance, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Coordinator in Torrance, CA

I have been working at American Honda Motor full-time

Pros

for the most part, the people are amazing. benefits are great, campus is nice, and onsite gym.

Cons

I have been at Honda for about two years now and it is a sink or swim environment. everyone is too busy drowning in their own work to help eachother. everyone has said they feel overworked or is doing the work of 2-3 people. i do not see myself staying here for long.

Advice to Management

phones are ancient, cafeteria food is overpriced, allow the younger generation to have a voice

6. "Overall good company"

Former Intern - Part-time Student Office Assistant in Torrance, CA
    Former Intern - Part-time Student Office Assistant in Torrance, CA

I worked at American Honda Motor as an intern (More than a year)

Pros

Worked at American Honda on the student program. Everybody was really nice. It was a good opportunity to learn and to meet new people.

Cons

No complaints in my time as a part-time student.

7. "Great Experience"

Former Intern - Sales Intern in Torrance, CA
    Former Intern - Sales Intern in Torrance, CA

I worked at American Honda Motor as an intern (More than a year)

Pros

This was my second summer working at American Honda Motor Corp. HQ in Torrance and I had a great experience. I was working under the Senior VP of Sales as well as many other departments such as R & D, marketing, Sales and Product Planning, etc. I very much enjoyed this entire experience and would go back.

Cons

There were some interns that didn't have a ton of work to do but weren't active enough in looking for other possible departments where they could've lend a hand. If you look for work, you'll find it.

Advice to Management

Better organize the internship program and work to increase relationships among interns.

"American Honda Motors a stress free work environment"

Former Contractor - Business Analyst in Torrance, CA
    Former Contractor - Business Analyst in Torrance, CA

I worked at American Honda Motor as a contractor (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great place to work and call home. There is plenty job rotation in different departments.

Cons

No real downside for working at Honda other than being a contractor. These positions can last a very long time and also a short time depending on the task and department you working in.

"Specialist"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Torrance, CA

I have been working at American Honda Motor full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

The associates embrace the culture and Philosophy the founder put into place. The people helped to make the company a success.

Cons

Management does not practice the company's Philosophy.

Advice to Management

Start practicing what you preach to associates about Philosophy and values. The culture is not what it used to be. Can't expect associates to follow or try to reinforce values if management does not embrace themselves.

"corporate office"

Former Contractor - Intern in Torrance, CA
    Former Contractor - Intern in Torrance, CA

I worked at American Honda Motor as a contractor (More than a year)

Pros

Pretty much everyone is willing to help you - even if they're not in your department. Depending on your manager/lead the working environment can be quite enjoyable. Also, getting to work with traveling consultants from reputable companies gave me insight into their responsibilities. I learned a lot of functional skills very quickly in this job.

Cons

Again, depending on the manager, the work environment can be quite suffocating and unpleasant to work in. Additionally, there seems to be constant confusion between the different levels of management, in different regions of the world.

Advice to Management

There needs to be more communication between the different levels of management. This way, employees wont have to scrap a competed spread and create a new one in an entirely different direction.