American Hotel Register Reviews | Glassdoor

3.5
American Hotel Register President Angela Korompilas
Angela Korompilas

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Flexible scheduling and work life balance (in 8 reviews)

• Everybody is willing to help out (in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • Lack of direction from upper management (in 6 reviews)

• No room for advancement, favoratism runs rampant (in 3 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Awesome!"

I have been working at American Hotel Register full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

My personal experience at American Hotel Register has been a very positive one:

The culture here is amazing!
    Despite being one of the largest companies I have worked for, it truly feels like a family here… people that genuinely care and support each other, work cohesively to accomplish common goals, and have fun while doing it.

Onboarding program
    Another thing that sets American Hotel Register apart from other companies I’ve worked for is the onboarding program. The training sessions are both informative and fun... providing new associates with the knowledge for a strong foundation to be successful.

Employee recognition
    I have been very impressed with the recognition employees receive both at a department and company level, which is much more abundant and consistent than anywhere I’ve worked before. Sharing successes and celebrating associates contributes to the family culture that is spoken so highly of at American Hotel Register.

Management that is approachable and receptive to feedback
    I’ve had a few different roles in my career with American Hotel Register thus far and have always found management in each department I've worked for to be very approachable. The company as a whole is welcoming of feedback and frequently implementing ideas from associates. Jim Leahy even joins associates for lunch in the cafeteria… can’t say I’ve experienced that level of approachability at any other company I have ever worked for.

Development opportunities
    Whether developing within my current role or expanding my skillsets to open doors for additional roles within the company, I’ve always been impressed with the opportunities to do so and the support I have received from managers to provide me with the tools and information needed to accomplish those goals.

Fun!
    Annual company picnic (food, games, live band, raffles… awesome!)
    Sports leagues (kickball, bowling, basketball, etc.)
    Team activities / celebrations

Casual Fridays
    Educational assistance program
    Employee discounts
    Work from home opportunities
    Wellness initiatives (yoga, weight loss challenges, etc.)
    On-site services available (haircuts, manicures, massage)

Cons

The expectations I had coming into the company have been far exceeded. The pros have always heavily outweighed any cons in my personal experience with American Hotel Register and nothing significant comes to mind in regard to this category.

Advice to Management

Continue listening to your employees and customers and adapting to their needs…
    Thank you!

2. "Great People, Worrisome Focus"

Pros

Everyone at the company is incredibly welcoming and genuinely friendly

Cons

There seems to be a lack of focus in company goals. For such a large company, I am worried about its long term health.

Advice to Management

Get on top of fewer, clearer goals.

3. "Great Company"

Former Employee - Project Manager in Vernon Hills, IL
    Former Employee - Project Manager in Vernon Hills, IL

I worked at American Hotel Register full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Family company culture with great benefits, flexible hours and some really good people that have worked there for many years.

Cons

They could do more to invest in infrastructure: newer computers, seats and overall technology.

Advice to Management

Keep the pulse of the people you manage, they are a great wealth of information.

4. "Use to be a good place to work"

Former Employee - Sales in Vernon Hills, IL
    Former Employee - Sales in Vernon Hills, IL

I worked at American Hotel Register full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Some good people are still there but not many

Cons

Went from a place where you would want to have a career but now it just wants telemarketers.

Advice to Management

Send real surveys to long time customers and ask them how they think of the "new and improved" AHR

5. "Great Place to Work"

I have been working at American Hotel Register full-time

Pros

Family owned business that treats employees like they are a part of the family.

Cons

The company is coming from behind in technology but making significant improvements.

"Never been happier..now that I left this company"

I worked at American Hotel Register full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Free gym downstairs (outdated but it works), & a portion of the people that are employed here!

Cons

TERRIBLE management, no upward movement, the "family culture" is something that once was important and no longer is, nepotism is what drives the company.

Advice to Management

Instead of sending a generic "rate on a 1-5 scale" anonymous exit interview, actually take time to listen to why people are leaving and make changes. Middle management are mostly people who have been "grandfathered" into their positions and they do not care about elevating the associates beneath them. The attitude of employees in the office is VERY negative! This company is a good place to get a little bit of experience under your belt, but there are no long term plans for employees. The whole company needs a serious revamp and unfortunately this won't happen for a very long time. The company is stuck in their ways and thinking that nothing is wrong.

"Pivotal Time"

I have been working at American Hotel Register full-time

Pros

Benefits are mostly keeping with trends. Work from home, fitness, paid volunteer time, educ. reimbursement, and the normal PTO, 401K, etc. The people make this company and the non-hierarchical framework is a welcome change from other corporate organizations.

Cons

Career advancement opportunities are not wide-spread. More hierarchical types of attitudes are penetrating upper management. Reviews are sometimes overlooked.

Advice to Management

Keep on eye on departments with highest turnover. Continue to trial innovative programs to incentivize associates to stay. Consider innovative approaches to meetings and networking, internally. Would larger investments in communication technology be paid for by reduced travel expenses which may offer associates improved work/life balance? Don't allow hierarchy become culturally embedded. Invest in our atmosphere/environment to stay current with competing employers.

"think twice"

Current Employee - Sales Associate
    Current Employee - Sales Associate

I have been working at American Hotel Register full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Some of the pros are great coworkers, health benefits package, 401K (plus company match), casual Friday, discounts on product, and flex time. There is also an onsite gym, salon, and dry cleaning.

Cons

I used to LOVE working here and now I can barley get out of bed in the morning. Morale is at an all time low. At this time they don't seem to want to retain talent and be a company that will work with their employees to grow, thrive, and develop. You can see the reviews about the recent changes and 'restructure of sales', and the managements responses but it is more than that. Change will always happen and can be a good or even a great thing. However, these changes have really hurt the culture and have effected customer relationships as well. It is fine to have high productivity standards, but there needs to be some flexibility and trust. Sales reps will do what they need to do to win the business and make a sale. Not everyone's territories are the same and it is unreasonable to hold everyone to one standard. Another major con is the commission structure; it is absolutely awful, unfair, and demotivating. I would say if you are looking for a job straight out of school this is still a good company to gain some experience and move on, but don't plan on getting to comfortable. It seems everyday more and more people are leaving; the family culture is not what it was, I know things will not go back to 'the good ol days.' However, I hope that they will realize that they are currently doing more harm than good and will do another 'restructure' that is good for their employees, the company, and of course the customers.

Advice to Management

Wake up!

9. "Wonderful Presidents Trip"

Current Employee - Inside Sales Representative in Vernon Hills, IL
    Current Employee - Inside Sales Representative in Vernon Hills, IL

I have been working at American Hotel Register full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Great perks and incentives going on trip

Cons

Tax hit at end of year

Advice to Management

Add a few days to trip

"Alternative Facts"

I have been working at American Hotel Register full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

The Leahy's are wonderful people! Management and associates who work together for ideas and solutions and are willing to try new things to take care of our customers. Shared love and kindness for our fellow associates, suppliers and customers. Doing the right thing. Ever evolving. Charitable and socially conscious. Compassion and integrity.

Cons

Not a con, just some thoughts. Change can be VERY difficult and scary. Associates have great empathy for those who are going through changes, including the Sr. Leadership and Mgmt teams. Any one of them are available for REAL conversations. It's easier to be part of the problem than the solution. Change your perspective, clarify and seek out the truth vs. perceptions (believe it or not, they aren't all real), spread positivity, try and keep trying to do your best.

Advice to Management

Continue checking in and assisting associates when there are significant changes. Put yourself in associates shoes when decisions are made. Is there a better way or timeframe when making changes?