American Hotel Register Reviews | Glassdoor

3.4
American Hotel Register President Angela Korompilas
Angela Korompilas

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • incredible flexibility with work-life balance (in 10 reviews)

• Everybody is willing to help out (in 7 reviews)

Cons
  • More hierarchical types of attitudes are penetrating upper management (in 8 reviews)

• Work-life balance is a big issue (in 4 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Awesome!"

I have been working at American Hotel Register full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

My personal experience at American Hotel Register has been a very positive one:

The culture here is amazing!
    Despite being one of the largest companies I have worked for, it truly feels like a family here… people that genuinely care and support each other, work cohesively to accomplish common goals, and have fun while doing it.

Onboarding program
    Another thing that sets American Hotel Register apart from other companies I’ve worked for is the onboarding program. The training sessions are both informative and fun... providing new associates with the knowledge for a strong foundation to be successful.

Employee recognition
    I have been very impressed with the recognition employees receive both at a department and company level, which is much more abundant and consistent than anywhere I’ve worked before. Sharing successes and celebrating associates contributes to the family culture that is spoken so highly of at American Hotel Register.

Management that is approachable and receptive to feedback
    I’ve had a few different roles in my career with American Hotel Register thus far and have always found management in each department I've worked for to be very approachable. The company as a whole is welcoming of feedback and frequently implementing ideas from associates. Jim Leahy even joins associates for lunch in the cafeteria… can’t say I’ve experienced that level of approachability at any other company I have ever worked for.

Development opportunities
    Whether developing within my current role or expanding my skillsets to open doors for additional roles within the company, I’ve always been impressed with the opportunities to do so and the support I have received from managers to provide me with the tools and information needed to accomplish those goals.

Fun!
    Annual company picnic (food, games, live band, raffles… awesome!)
    Sports leagues (kickball, bowling, basketball, etc.)
    Team activities / celebrations

Casual Fridays
    Educational assistance program
    Employee discounts
    Work from home opportunities
    Wellness initiatives (yoga, weight loss challenges, etc.)
    On-site services available (haircuts, manicures, massage)

Cons

The expectations I had coming into the company have been far exceeded. The pros have always heavily outweighed any cons in my personal experience with American Hotel Register and nothing significant comes to mind in regard to this category.

Advice to Management

Continue listening to your employees and customers and adapting to their needs…
    Thank you!

2. "Great Internship"

I worked at American Hotel Register part-time

Pros

The company treats you like an employee, not an intern. The job is the same as full-timers but scaled down so you can handle it. Many other interns make the environment fun. The company offers many programs during the year like seminars, training, farmers markets, etc. Gym in the basement has everything you need but is hella old. The cafeteria has good food. Family culture and everyone there is very nice.

Cons

You'll get a lot of work thrown at you, especially if you're confident with what you're doing, but it makes the days go by quick. Pay isnt great for full time but the internship is fine.

Advice to Management

None

3. "intern"

I worked at American Hotel Register part-time

Pros

everyone was helpful and all of the interns were encouraged to be close to each other.

Cons

some family favoritism because it is family owned.

"No incentive"

Former Employee - Order Picker in Vernon Hills, IL
    Former Employee - Order Picker in Vernon Hills, IL

I worked at American Hotel Register full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Weekends off,your left alone for the most part.

Cons

I worked at the Vernon Hills location. The hypocrisy there is amazing. If your seasonal all you do is pick,in other words,you do all the grunt work. That's fine,I'm not afraid to work,but when half of the "real full timers" do nothing but walk around and have less physical jobs hardly picking, it raises eyebrows. These are the guys who've been there forever so they deserve the gravy jobs right? Perhaps but why not cross train people,give the pickers "a day off" so to speak and let them learn something else drive a fork truck one day instead of lifting sixty pound boxes all day? Mix it up. Oh,wait. They do that because in six months their just going to show you the door so why bother right. One inventory employee literally walked around talking most of the time. I wish I was compensated for every time I saw him literally leaning against something talking. Your paid for what exactly? The set up is obvious. If your over thirty forget about it. The management only hires young people. First shift looked like a frat house but when one person in the whole building plays God,I guess he can do what he wants. I have over 20 years experience in shipping and warehousing and I was one of the fastest pickers they had. I made rate,but I was never even offered to be trained on anything else. I was never reviewed or told how I was doing. Only real full timers got those. Only real full timers were trained on blood pathegons and how to clean up. If your seasonal and run into that problem I guess your screwed cause your not full time. I mean I worked there full time but not real full time. Oh,sorry ,seasonal is their cover word,and yet seasonal folks weren't even trained on safety? Is that even legal? Yeah work there if you need a job, don't expect to be treated like the full time or to be hired on. I guess you have to be near perfect to get hired on. Oh,and don't expect them to care about paying you on time. Thanksgiving I was told they would mail me my check next day delivery no problem! I didn't get it until Monday. I walked in and saw it on his desk. Yeah,I didn't need my money for four days or for the holidays. And as we speak I'm still waiting four days later for my final check and I literally live ten minutes away but I've been outcasted so I'm forbidden to go on the property now. The lead man is the only one I seen with integrity and I'm glad he was the one that let me go instead of one of the "suits". Six months is all you have, just have no hope of getting hired on unless you know someone or are perfect.

Advice to Management

Train your seasonal employees and treat them the same as full time. I seriously was not trained on safety and health issues? But full time watched videos on what to do. Rotate rotate. Let people do other jobs once in awhile break the monotony. You give seasonal people not much incentive to work harder. Why should I if I'm never reviewed or told how I'm doing? No feedback whatsoever ever and it's hard to stay motivated when day after day you see others doing so little that aren't even management.

"Seasonal People are Slaves"

Former Employee - Seasonal Employee in Vernon Hills, IL
    Former Employee - Seasonal Employee in Vernon Hills, IL

I worked at American Hotel Register full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I got to learn how to operate a forklift. I met some really nice, but a lot younger, coworkers. My lead in the whse in VH was top notch. He really knew what he was doing and took the time to give me some helpful hints. A couple of my coworkers also took me under their wing and showed me things to make me work faster, smoother and smarter, which I really appreciated.

Cons

Whenever someone tried to show me what they did, so that I could see how my job affected their job, the full time "rats" got jealous and told the bosses that I had no business trying to better myself. There was no training, other than what I could do on my own, thru experience, and others helping me on the sly. There was only 1 review of my work thru the whole 6 months I was there. Except for 1 person in mgmt, nobody cared if I was alive or dead. I could of been hurt in the back of the whse, and no one would of known I was down or not. Training consisted of driving the fork lift around for a half of a day, and having someone shadow me for 4 hours to make sure I didn't kill myself or anyone else. If I wasn't a normally outgoing type of person, I would of been a very lonely and sad employee. Also, the pay is really, really low, and is a joke for the job that they want done, and the amount of money the equipment costs that we have to operate. Don't expect to be treated like a regular part of the company, and know this going in, that you are only there to keep costs down so that they don't have to spend more money to hire more people to make more money for the company. If you have any education, above High School, keep it to yourself unless you want to be put down and ostracized by the dropouts who work there full time. Mgmt walked around like Gods, and with very few exceptions, didn't acknowledge that I was even alive, let alone, how I was doing.

Advice to Management

Don't blow smoke up our you know where, and tell us that after 6 mos, we can be regular full time, if it isn't true. We do not appreciate being lied to. Give the training we deserve, to be a full fledged productive members of the crew, and at least say hello first, instead of us having to prompt you to recognize our existence.

6. "Great company to work for"

Current Employee - Picker in Orlando, FL
    Current Employee - Picker in Orlando, FL

I have been working at American Hotel Register full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Great company to work for. Very fast paced and great people on the team. Can be very challenging at times.

Cons

Work life balance can improve. Requires some weekend work. Pay can improve a little. Reward and recognition program(s) can improve

7. "Great Atmosphere but low compensation"

I have been working at American Hotel Register full-time

Pros

Great family atmosphere and promote from within.

Cons

Compensation does not compete with rest of the market.

8. "Great Culture with Great Benifits"

Former Employee - Inside Sales Account Manager in Vernon Hills, IL
    Former Employee - Inside Sales Account Manager in Vernon Hills, IL

I worked at American Hotel Register full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

They promote from within. And as long as you have a strong leader you will move up. Angela Korompilas is strong and has lead the company to grow and expand.

Cons

It can be a boys club within the upper management. They pick someone who is like them and push them through

9. "Great Place to Work"

Current Employee - Account Manager in Vernon Hills, IL
    Current Employee - Account Manager in Vernon Hills, IL

I have been working at American Hotel Register full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

- the benefits are fantastic.
    - the culture is employee-oriented. As someone who previously worked for a company that was not, it’s incredible to feel valued and trusted.
    - tons of activities during the week, such as vendor presentations, yoga, etc.
    - the employees are happy. This is the biggest indicator to me that the company is doing things right.
    - pay is definitely fair compared to similar positions with companies in the area.
    - the ability to go to trade shows (especially the American hosted one in Orlando).
    - incredible flexibility with work-life balance.

Cons

- the commission systems is fairly convoluted. I understand the different incentives they’re trying to go after, but it’s definitely befuddling for the sales staff.

Advice to Management

I am incredibly grateful to have received this job. After being unemployed for a number of months and being rejected for jobs that paid less with virtually no l work-life balance, American saw something in me and the journey has been incredible ever since. I absolutely love working here and want you all to know you’re doing an incredible job with the company. Continue doing what you’re doing as far as investing in technology, benefits, employee perks, and improving work-life balance and I see a bright future for American Hotel.

10. "The Best"

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Vernon Hills, IL
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Vernon Hills, IL

I worked at American Hotel Register full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Literally the best company to work for - because they also work for you. They worked hard to get me great on-the-job training, fantastic benefits, work from home days, a FAMILY CULTURE, and most importantly a wonderful job.

Cons

When you work with people who aren't yourself... which is anywhere... you always have differences and preferences to lay on the table of compromise. Other than that, the organization worked and preformed wonderfully.

Advice to Management

Know that you're doing a great job!