American Humane Association Reviews | Glassdoor

3.4
American Humane Association President & CEO Robin R. Ganzert
Robin R. Ganzert

Sort: PopularRatingDate

"Job is a great adventure!"

Current Employee - Program Manager in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Program Manager in Washington, DC

I have been working at American Humane Association full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

I love the mission of AHA. Co-workers are terrific. Great culture that is respectful and kind. Mission supports animals and kids, and the programs are amazing. I really like the work of Red Star Rescue and the military programs. Love my job!

Cons

This is a small nonprofit, so there aren't a lot of resources.

Advice to Management

Thanks for devoting time to build a positive culture and workplace. Keep up the good work!

"Turnover, Turnover, Turnover"

I worked at American Humane Association full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Red Star program helps animals affected by disasters. Great program that they should focus on.

Cons

The CEO is more concerned with getting her name out there than with doing any actual good. Upper management is way overpaid; basically all donations go to their salaries and the lavish events they put on. CEO is uninterested in animal welfare experts and goes off in a number of directions, only to end up muddled in the middle, throwing money at moving targets she'll never hit.

Advice to Management

Get rid of your CEO and hire someone who will bring the focus back to the mission. And take a look at your turnover and try to keep a straight face while you tell me nothing is wrong.

"Nightmare Organization"

I worked at American Humane Association full-time

Pros

Brings some attention to the plight of animals. Red Star Rescue is really the only meaningful work that occurs and it's on a very limited basis because they don't want to take away available dollars from top salaried staff.

Cons

It's all a gimmick and sham. Minimal work effort on anything important. Spend most of year on Hero Dogs which has no real substance. Tossed away Children's work because they didn't understand or like it. So much for a legacy organization. Staff operate in fear.

Upper management puts false reviews on here to counter the truth. Some are so glowing it's ridiculous.

Advice to Management

Reorganize the board. Replace any members that are in Robin Ganzert's pocket. Dump her, her cronies, and bring in creative and dedicated program staff with new management who can reshape and reinvigorate the place. Get out of DC. Expensive, for her ego trip and convenience to her NC home. Not doing anything meaningful on policy level so no need to be there full time.

"American Humane Association"

Current Employee - National Director, Red Star in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - National Director, Red Star in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at American Humane Association full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

This is a great organization! American Humane Association takes a common-sense approach to animal and child welfare. They base their organizational operations on science and proven practices. The leadership abides by their values and organizational values are not just something that is referred to sound good. They talk the talk and walk the walk. Many programs in the American Humane Association exist primarily on donations. I can honestly tell you that donations received actually go to implementing the services they provide for animals and children. That makes me feel good as an employee to know that we are not falsely advertising or squandering money intended for other purposes. This company is more effective with their money and spending than any of my other previous employers. The atmosphere and culture at American Humane Association is very professional and when I started with them, I received a warm welcome and a lot of support. Everyone was friendly and helpful as well. The benefits are good, especially for a non-profit. If you like working, you will like working here because they are focused on mission achievement and do not get overly wrapped up in those "TP reports!" There is not a lot of bureaucracy which is a bonus as well. I have enjoyed being employed with American Humane Association.

Cons

If there is anything, just know that there is a high operational tempo, and my position is required to travel a lot. Not all positions are like that though, and I do not mind the travel either. The leadership will hold you accountable. That isn't a bad thing in my book, but if you do not like responsibility or being held accountable for your actions and your work product, this organization is probably not for you. This is definitely a high drive environment and the work / life balance can be viewed as a negative by some. The organization is small, so if you are looking to climb a "corporate ladder" this organization will likely not meet that need.

Advice to Management

Management may want to consider an overhaul of the organization's information technology. It is a bit outdated. There is an overall emphasis that caters to receiving philanthropic gifts (of course that is what pays the salaries and benefits), however there does need to be a balance. The organization needs to be able to deliver what it promises so some emphasis needs to be on maintaining or building capabilities and not being distracted by mission creep as suggested by "good ideas" from others. Focus on providing world class services and sell those services. Also, make sure when problems arise (as they always will) that you understand that it isn't the problem, but how you respond and deal with it that is important.

"Show our love for animals"

I have been working at American Humane Association full-time (More than a year)

Pros

We get to show our love for animals every day in the work we do. I don't mind the long hours because it is for a good cause and is satisfying work. Everyone is really nice. Benefits are good.

Cons

Work and life are not always in balance because of so much to do. I'd like to go out with our Red Star team but don't think I could be away that long from work.

Advice to Management

Give us time to work directly with animals sometimes, like with Red Star.

"Great place to work and grow!"

I have been working at American Humane Association full-time

Pros

I have been with AHA for several years and am proud and pleased to be part of this dynamic organization. My colleagues are talented, intelligent and fun. There is a strong collaborative culture, where staff is encouraged to take risks, support each other and strive to be forward thinking. Our CEO is indefatigable. She leads with vision, intelligence and warmth, setting the highest bar for herself and inspiring others to follow. Under her leadership, professional development of staff is a priority. Hard work is recognized and rewarded. Great place to work and grow.

Cons

As with all organizations and businesses, an ever-changing environment requires an abiity to pivot and adjust financial and strategic goals.

Advice to Management

Continue to keep it real and balance the mission with the challenge of fundraising.

"A Dream Job!!"

I have been working at American Humane Association full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Respectful, Caring, and nurturing environment to learn. Working here is like a family. You get to meet so many interesting people and animals all the time. After being in this business for awhile and coming to this organization, I learn and experience new things everyday.

Cons

We believe very much in our mission, so it is hard work, lots of travel and rewarding!

"You can always tell when management/CEO's feel the need to write reviews...."

Pros

Used to be there were quite a few. Today, absolutely none.

Cons

Robin Ganzert Warm? That's the last thing she has ever been. Fake, manipulative, harsh, clueless, yes, warm, never. Still pulling the wool over people's eyes I see. Most have moved on, at least anyone worth a damn. There is a long line of people who were treated far less then humanely, despite the "Mission Statement". Organization is out-dated and a farce, particularly the "Humane Hollywood" sham. More animals have died then they will ever let the public know, if it wasn't for some actual humane whistle-blowers, the ones that have died would have Never been brought to light. Steer clear, as far away as you can.

Advice to Management

Start all over and begin at the top.

"An IN-humane place to work"

I worked at American Humane Association full-time

Pros

Hopefully some animals were helped along the way.

Cons

All they see are $$$ signs and they only care about the numbers at the end of the day. They don't care about their employees at all, and the "mission" is superficial.

Advice to Management

Start treating people like people.

"Do not go to work here!"

I worked at American Humane Association (More than 3 years)

Pros

Could take your dog to work.

Cons

Poor management. Waste money. Use donations to have huge expensive fund raisers. Raise money to pay the people raising money. Very little money goes to programs. Management cares more about publicity for themselves than actually helping animals. Someone in the media should do a story on how much money they spend for the Hero Dog Awards. It's ridiculous. No one should go to work there OR donate their hard earned money.