American Humane Association Reviews | Glassdoor

3.4
Rating Trends Rating Trends
American Humane Association President & CEO Robin R. Ganzert
Robin R. Ganzert

Pros
  • You get to meet so many interesting people and animals all the time (in 3 reviews)

• Red Star program helps animals affected by disasters (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • Work Life balance can be challenge (in 3 reviews)

• Spend most of year on Hero Dogs which has no real substance (in 4 reviews)

"Job is a great adventure!"

Current Employee - Program Manager in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Program Manager in Washington, DC

I have been working at American Humane Association full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

I love the mission of AHA. Co-workers are terrific. Great culture that is respectful and kind. Mission supports animals and kids, and the programs are amazing. I really like the work of Red Star Rescue and the military programs. Love my job!

Cons

This is a small nonprofit, so there aren't a lot of resources.

Advice to Management

Thanks for devoting time to build a positive culture and workplace. Keep up the good work!

"American Humane Association"

Current Employee - National Director, Red Star in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - National Director, Red Star in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at American Humane Association full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

This is a great organization! American Humane Association takes a common-sense approach to animal and child welfare. They base their organizational operations on science and proven practices. The leadership abides by their values and organizational values are not just something that is referred to sound good. They talk the talk and walk the walk. Many programs in the American Humane Association exist primarily on donations. I can honestly tell you that donations received actually go to implementing the services they provide for animals and children. That makes me feel good as an employee to know that we are not falsely advertising or squandering money intended for other purposes. This company is more effective with their money and spending than any of my other previous employers. The atmosphere and culture at American Humane Association is very professional and when I started with them, I received a warm welcome and a lot of support. Everyone was friendly and helpful as well. The benefits are good, especially for a non-profit. If you like working, you will like working here because they are focused on mission achievement and do not get overly wrapped up in those "TP reports!" There is not a lot of bureaucracy which is a bonus as well. I have enjoyed being employed with American Humane Association.

Cons

If there is anything, just know that there is a high operational tempo, and my position is required to travel a lot. Not all positions are like that though, and I do not mind the travel either. The leadership will hold you accountable. That isn't a bad thing in my book, but if you do not like responsibility or being held accountable for your actions and your work product, this organization is probably not for you. This is definitely a high drive environment and the work / life balance can be viewed as a negative by some. The organization is small, so if you are looking to climb a "corporate ladder" this organization will likely not meet that need.

Advice to Management

Management may want to consider an overhaul of the organization's information technology. It is a bit outdated. There is an overall emphasis that caters to receiving philanthropic gifts (of course that is what pays the salaries and benefits), however there does need to be a balance. The organization needs to be able to deliver what it promises so some emphasis needs to be on maintaining or building capabilities and not being distracted by mission creep as suggested by "good ideas" from others. Focus on providing world class services and sell those services. Also, make sure when problems arise (as they always will) that you understand that it isn't the problem, but how you respond and deal with it that is important.

"A Great Place to Work!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

I have been working at American Humane Association full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great mission. Caring passionate people. Excellent benefits.

Respectful. Inclusive. Diverse. Fun.

Not like work or a job, more like a labor of love.

Cons

The mission exceeds the resources available. Typical of a good nonprofit organization there is more work to be done and more good ideas to implement than there is funding available.

But we are making great strides and clearly moving in the right direction.

Advice to Management

Stay the course. Implement what you have started and don't get distracted.

Avoid spreading the limited resources too thin. A mile wide but an inch deep is not the answer.

"They truly do care"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Pros

AHA has been a leader in the humane movement for 138 years, and occupies the unique position of protecting children and animals -- the only organization in the country that does both. With such a wealth of experience in this space the organization has led the charge of every major advance in the protection of both groups since 1877.

With a mission and scope so large, working here gives you an opportunity to work with a variety of industries on a number of interesting projects, like the agriculture sector, film industry, and with local animal control agencies. We pride ourselves on seeing the "No Animals Were Harmed" credit at the end of major films and telling our friends and family to buy products at the store with the "American Humane Certified" logo, meaning the animals were treated humanely.

Working here I've gotten to work on a nationally broadcast TV show, march in a parade on 5th Avenue in New York, and meet with influential policymakers on Capitol Hill, among many other highlights.

Cons

American Humane Association has a long way to go to fulfill its mission, with a limited budget, but continues to do what it can. There have been periods where the management team was in flux, but things seem to have turned a corner for the better.

With such a long, rich history, it can be overwhelming at times to feel like you're living up to the organization's legacy as its founders intended.

Advice to Management

Continue to focus on the mission, and remain a moderate, positive voice in a space that can be filled with lots of vitriol and mean spirits who think they know what you do but are totally wrong.

"Proud to work at AHA"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Pros

Great mission. Programs genuinely help animals and furthers the bond between people and animals. The mission and goals of AHA are more in line with the vast majority of Americans than those of the more well known but extremist animal rights organizations. There are opportunities for staff to take on additional responsibility and grow professionally.

Cons

There is a lot to do and not always enough people to do it, but this keeps costs down (so donations are spent on programs) and leaves lots of room to grow within the organization. It is difficult to be attacked by "animal rights" organizations because we truly love animals and children, and run great programs.

Advice to Management

Lots of great changes recently. Staff would love to feel more connected to all of the programs, and not just their specific area.

"A sham of an organization that should be ashamed of itself"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

I worked at American Humane Association full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Given the direction of this organization and the continued unethical behavior it demonstrates, it is very hard to identify any positives. Probably the only positive is that there are many well-intentioned people who care about animals who want to make a difference. It is initially easy to believe the management's rhetoric about their care for animals (and perhaps children), but it is easy to get disillusioned once you realize that it is simply glitz, marketing, glamor and unfortunately rhetoric.

Cons

Fiscally irresponsible
    Terrible management who overtly and covertly threaten staff
    Most programs are meaningless and have no impact on real outcomes on the lives of animals and humans
    The agenda on children is useless and misguided

Advice to Management

There is no advice that can be given to managers who rule based on fear and who think they are the only ones with knowledge. The advice is to the Board: you need to wake up and realize how the organization you guide, with its current leadership, is wrecking an organization that once played an important role in American history.

"American Humane, before 2011"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Denver, CO
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Denver, CO

Pros

For the majority of my tenure at American Humane, the work was stimulating and rewarding; the colleagues were awesome, and although hours could be long during crunches, management ad co-workers had a sound understanding of work-life balance.

Cons

The organizational structure has changed sine I was there, so I can't report on the pros and cons in detail.

Advice to Management

My direct experience is several years old, so I hesitate to give advice.

"Reinventing nonprofit best practices with innovative, common sense, outcome driven solutions."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

Pros

It is cool working in a culture where I get to make a difference in children's and animals lives each and every day. Having the freedom to succeed and fail with a President & CEO in Dr. Robin Ganzert that just gets it!

Cons

With a small dedicated team we have to be nimble tackling our mission centric issues, often complex, difficulty issues so, looking forward to the day when we can grow our team. Plus, the animal space is a tough place to live in - working with very passionate and vocal people outside of AHA, from staunch supporters to vitriolic critics, you need kindness and toughness.

Advice to Management

Stay the course, through thick and thin - you are on the right road

"Is this a real animal welfare charity or a bunch of middle and senior managers looking out to raise their own profiles?"

Former Employee - Certified Animal Safety Representative in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Certified Animal Safety Representative in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at American Humane Association part-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Fun people to work with in the trenches, although the clouds of doom and illogical retribution always hover nearby.

Cons

Senior (and some middle) management do not understand (and don't seem to want to understand) the jobs we do to protect animals. They make innane decisions that don't weigh factors that best protect animals, or support the actions, recommendations and experience of the troops in the field. Their decisions seem based primarily to promote their own agendas (being with B-list celebrities), to cover their behinds when they are caught making the wrong decision, or tread water while pointing the blame at others. Morale in the Film and TV Unit has crashed over the past 3 years.

Advice to Management

Resign. The board needs to bring in staff who care about the care and welfare of animals, and not look the other way for corporate partners (like Hallmark Channel) who want to compromise horse or kitten safety to promote their own products.

"A very good working experience"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

I have been working at American Humane Association full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Management has turned around AHA. The programs are now very successful and very helpful to animals and children. There is room for advancement if you are a team player and committed to the organization. A fun and professional group of employees.

Cons

AHA is staffed leanly, so there's a lot of work to be done with a relatively small staff especially given the size and breadth of the programs.

Advice to Management

Continue to bolster programs. Continue to be financially responsible.