American Income Life Reviews | Glassdoor

1.0
American Income Life CEO Roger Smith
Roger Smith

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • A lot of opportunity to make a lot of money (in 74 reviews)

• If your goal is to make a lot of money, you can do that here (in 61 reviews)

Cons
  • It does start out involving long hours (in 184 reviews)

• 100% commission which typically balances out to an average salary for the average agent (in 70 reviews)

1. "Pyramid scheme"

Former Employee - Union Benefit Specialist in Tracy, CA
    Former Employee - Union Benefit Specialist in Tracy, CA

I worked at American Income Life full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

All of your bills will not get paid if you dont live with the group of life agents in a communal house..

Cons

Long hours, forced hours, conatant scrutiny when you dont get any sales from overworked leads that already know exactly why your calling, texting or realistically bothering them.

Advice to Management

Revamp your leads theyre overworked and garbage.

2. "Useless Company"

Current Freelancer - Anonymous Freelancer

Pros

i wish i could mention something positive but unfortunately that is not the case. Their office looks like a mess . It seems they are ready to vacate anytime . No wonder the vacancy has been vacant for years now .

Cons

They hire just about anyone as long as you can communicate . They will make you feel as if you are the perfect fit for the job but infact they need sales people to go door to door and ask to buy the insurance .
    It is a completely commission based job which essentially means your bills will stay the same but you wont have a steady income . If you do your research online you will be amazed to find out that this position has been vacant since 2015 . I told the HR lady who interviewed me to take a look at the reviews as they are very alarming for management but it seems management does not care . Do not take this job unless you are comfortable knocking on peoples doors in the winter . One more thing , even if you have prior sales experience , you cannot start the job right away . You have to get a insurance agent license which is around 1000 CAD almost . It is not very convincing to ask a potential employee to spend out of his pocket before he is even accepted for the job . They tell you all the good things that are very pleasing but infact they twist the facts in the presentations .
    who will buy this insurance in the current economic situation where ppl mostly live pay cheque to pay cheque .

"Rollercoaster!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chattanooga, TN
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chattanooga, TN

I have been working at American Income Life full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Position helps develop excellent people skills. You meet very cool and interesting people. Insurance benefits (term/permanent) are available to the PUBLIC (training teaches it's only for Unions) Website contradicts Chattanooga location teaching.

Cons

Deceptive explanation of your earning potential, especially since it's based on your​ leads. 80% of your leads are RECYCLED so you looking for gold in mound of rubbish.

Trainers may have good work ethic however if character is lacking, credibility goes out the door. It is very obvious when they aren't making good money and you can't mentor new agents to make anything more than you can.

Advice to Management

Be more transparent and honest about earnings​ and time commitment. With less than 12% retention, only 1% of people really make good money. That means 88 out of 100 people leave and only 1 out of 100 has potential to make anything worth mentioning.

There are always tell tale signs that trainers/SA/GA aren't following heart/directions of MGA so pay attention to what new agents are saying IF they are willing to talk as some will just quit once they smell something is off.

4. "Manager trainee"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Portland, ME
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Portland, ME

I have been working at American Income Life full-time

Pros

Plenty of parking in site

Cons

I'm not actually the employee my husband is but the experience has been bad enough to affect the household. I had to warn others that might be considering this company. 1. They never told him that he would need to pass the insurance license exam the first week or he would lose his job, until after he started. This is a huge test. He did. They did not tell him that unless he completely memorized a 7 page script in 2 weeks he would lose his job until after he accepted the position. He memorized it. They never told him the hours would be as late as 9 -10 pm during the week. He was not expecting this but is doing it anyway. But now after 4 weeks he was due his first paycheck they let his training class know they FORGOT to teach them how to do timesheets so no one got paid. They followed it with but we can get you your paychecks by next Wednesday. Are you serious? My advice, keep interviewing people, don't let them ruin a great opportunity you could have with ANOTHER company.

"Recruited for interview at Hart MCCALLUM Agency, Earth City, Missouri"

Current Freelancer - Anonymous Freelancer

Pros

They hire people (Talent Aquisition ) to misrepresent what they do, salaries (W2) and benefits. They get you to come to their location with 10 other people for an 8:30 a.m. interview, same job title, different salaries, only to find out it is selling life insurance, straight cmmission.

Cons

Unprofessional recruiting measures. They recruit by misrepresentation to get you to the interview and then comes the "bait and switch." I walked out prior to the interview completely disgusted with the lack of professionalism of this group. As a former Director of a company, we never would unethically recruit anyone, much less lie to a business professional.

Advice to Management

Integrity speaks volumes about a company. Be forthright when asked specific questions by potential employers you have recruited.

6. "Poor customer service"

I worked at American Income Life full-time

Pros

If you want to mislead people and frustrate yourself then this is the perfect place to work

Cons

I would not work for a company that trains people to contact people who are looking for employment into false pretenses, the person contacting you reads off a script, misleading you into a trap and wasting your time

Advice to Management

I had a phone call for a position at American Income, Firstly, when I was contacted the person on the other end of the phone need to recite her speech, I interrupted to inquire about the job criteria and to stop pushing Warren Buffet, She continued to throw out his name in which I was not interested in listening to as most fortune 500 companies have already exhausted his name. The minute I said this to her she just ended the conversation. Not very professional. Good luck in finding the right fit for this company as I am sure there is a high overturn of employees.

7. "Office Coordinator"

I have been working at American Income Life full-time

Pros

It's a successful company with a dominant sales background with provided leads

Cons

Pyramid and crooked management

8. "Unprofessional, bait & switch, pyramid scheme"

Former Contractor - Anonymous Contractor
    Former Contractor - Anonymous Contractor

I worked at American Income Life as a contractor

Pros

Nope. None.
    Unless you actually like the old timey, cheesy, car salesmen, hard sell, lying schtick. Then you might think of some pros...

Cons

They are liars. They lie to their employees, they lie to their customers, they are horrible.

1. They will hire anyone-even FELONS. Then, send them to clients homes.

2. Despite asking repeatedly, and AIL managers confirming (flat-out lying), you do NOT get paid for training.

3. You are not an independent agent and you do not get to make your own schedule. They micromanage beyond any micromanaging I've ever seen. You are made to join their ongoing, 24/7 chat app where agents brag and managers are always questioning you: where are you? how many appointments do you have? how much have you sold? Did you get any referrals from that appointment? How many?
    You're constantly nagged. CONSTANTLY.

4. Their training is atrocious. Every manager will tell you something different and berate you for not knowing what they expect you to. Even though you were taught something completely different by a trainer. Waste of time!!!

5. Completely unprofessional communication. Management fails to communicate with each other and are awful to agents. They make fun of people when they're on the phone. They curse at and berate their employees--I mean..." independent agents.

6. They claim to give you leads. They claim it's like they're grandma, offering you warm lead promises, like fresh, hot cookies right out of the oven. LIES!! The new leads are kept by upper managers in the agency pyramid scheme. The leads you are given have requested to not be called. They are copies of copies of copies that probably every trainee next you is calling as well. They are angry leads and they've been tricked and bamboozled. Don't ever give AIL agents A phone number, unless you hate that person.

7. They are out of touch. As unions die, and their "niche" shrinks, they have not yet figured out to adapt to a public market. The scam they've tried with Child Safety stuff is well known. Google it! The first thing that comes up is scam complaints.
    They do give the stuff out free, but...

8. They're luddites. Every free offer they have can literally be replaced by an existing phone app, so they're basically worthless. They just want you to collect more phone numbers because they're running out if people to annoy.
    Every lead is an entire sheet of paper, so you need an entire filing cabinet, that will fit in your car too, so you can go to their office, to use your own phone and computer, to book calls. For no reason except their micromanagging.

9. It's commision only, which is fine, but the hard sell tactics, bait & switch, fake community-caring culture causes buyers remorse to the point that you could end up owing AIL money! And if you want to leave, they can sue you for that pay.

10. I could go on and on....basically, RUN. They claim "opportunity unlimited," but that's only for the managers, who steal your booked appointments ( we're a team!) hoard fresh leads, then dominate your schedule so you're trapped. BTW, you don't make crap unless you sell over $2000 in monthly payments between a 7-day period. Most leads, can afford about $20-$100 a month, and don't even want it. So, you end up having to work 12-15 hours a day, everyday, to make up for the cancellations and just to get a "not-negative" paycheck.

Advice to Management

STOP LYING to everyone. STOP your agency managers from lying to everyone. Consult a professional marketing company and create a new plan for reaching/expanding your target market in an ethical way, without abusing clients and employees trust.
    I'm sorry, but you're currently the most horrible company I've ever worked for. Hands down, the worst.

9. "70-80 hour weeks, often 6-7 days a week"

Former Employee - Life Insurance Agent in Wilkes-Barre, PA
    Former Employee - Life Insurance Agent in Wilkes-Barre, PA

I worked at American Income Life full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

it's what you make of it, it's incredibly difficult to stay positive and upbeat, especially with weekly comparisons and sales goals, but if you can grind grind grind, you could potentially earn and out perform your peers.

Cons

long hours- if you are serious about being successful, can't take no sales or no shows to heart, need to stay optimistic, some rather pointless meetings, constant comparison to peers. high turnover. expensive testing and licensing. the leads are for poverty stricken blue collar workers who live mainly in trailer parks---do you really think they'll pay their policy every month?? no way.

Advice to Management

this is a pyramid scheme set up, top dogs make SIGNIFICANTLY more than new producers with very high turnover rates. The enthusiasm and circlejerk video call meetings are too showy and set unrealistic expectations.

10. "Don't waste time and money"

Former Employee - Insurance Sales Agent in Fort Collins, CO
    Former Employee - Insurance Sales Agent in Fort Collins, CO

I worked at American Income Life full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Chance to make money.

Cons

Paid so much for licensing then put in so much gas and time especially on traveling out of town for potential "prospects." Even got some people to sign yet my "trainer" somehow made all profit from them and I received nothing! Never received compensation for all the work I put in for company.
    False hopes & promises
    Cold/warm calls
    Lies
    Not really any time for family with hours and work
    They expect you to not get any other jobs and put your full time and effort into this for no compensation!

Advice to Management

Be up front with people about all the time, money,gas,and equipment they will need to put in and get nothing in return maybe $20 if you're lucky!

Showing 534 of 1,872 reviews