American Institute For Foreign Study Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated April 13, 2017

Full-time Part-time

4.3
Rating Trends Rating Trends
American Institute For Foreign Study Vice Chairman, President, and CEO Bill Gertz
Bill Gertz

1. Featured Review

"Counselor"

I have been working at American Institute For Foreign Study full-time

Pros

great company to work for, travel opportunities, flexible schedule, in home office, co workers are wonderful.

Cons

if not located in Ct office not a lot of advancement opportunities.

2. "Great place to be at!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Stamford, CT

I have been working at American Institute For Foreign Study full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

If you love what you do, you can be happy anywhere but AIFS offers great benefits from health, dental and vision insurance to social gatherings every now and then. They don't only treat you as an employee, they care about you like this is your second home. They do a lot to make us all smile!

Cons

Few employees who don't appreciate what they have and always complain but you can find them in every company so no worries!

May 20, 2016 – Director of Human Resources

Thank you for taking the time to share your review! We appreciate that employees enjoy the benefits and the social gatherings. We often work so hard that it's nice to "like" the place where you ... More

"No room for growth or opportunity"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Stamford, CT

I have been working at American Institute For Foreign Study full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Some great people. Lots of snow days off. Lots of holidays off. Good Benefits.

Cons

Major favoritism by execs who have been here forever. No opportunity to advance. Poor communication to staff.

Advice to Management

Just because we haven't been here forever doesn't mean we don't have value. Look outside your group of favorites. We all have ideas and want to prove ourselves by our work.

Sep 22, 2016 – Director of Human Resources

Thank you for your feedback. As you may be aware, our turnover is very low which means that many employees have been here for a long period of time. This results in a lack of upward mobility ... More

5. "One of the better companies I have worked for"

I have been working at American Institute For Foreign Study full-time

Pros

Positive atmosphere, open to innovation, CEO cares about the well-being of employees, social committee does a good job celebrating special events, people are generally able to help out each other, pretty good workplace morale.

Cons

Several very good benefits but since the salaries provided by AIFS are average for this area (Fairfield County), it would be great if the company could amp up the benefits even more. Maybe provide a set of days that employees can use to work from home, better discounts for child care, more vacation days, student loan contribution programs, etc.

Advice to Management

Keep caring about your employees. It does make a difference if employees feel appreciated.

Sep 22, 2016 – Director of Human Resources

Thank you for taking the time to submit your feedback. At AIFS we provide a comprehensive benefits package but we are always open to new ideas and suggestions. We are always exploring new options to ... More

6. "AIFS - A great place to work"

Current Employee - Senior Operations Coordinator in Stamford, CT
    Current Employee - Senior Operations Coordinator in Stamford, CT

I have been working at American Institute For Foreign Study full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Wonderful people who share similar ideals. Fun work environment. Pretty good benefits. International travel opportunities. Mostly open door policy when it comes to management.

Cons

Not much room for growth. In terms of benefits, they are great, but as a company who prides itself on offering some of the best packages to its employees, they could be even better... keeping up with or ahead of trends, i.e. longer maternity and paternity leave, more flexible work from home opportunities, a bit more paid time off.

Advice to Management

Since pay increases and pay rates are pretty good but not outstanding, definitely making it up to employees with more paid time off, flexible work from home scheduling, and better family benefits is a way to keep employees happy when you are not offering more money.

Sep 22, 2016 – Director of Human Resources

7. "The Fresh Start I Needed"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Stamford, CT

I have been working at American Institute For Foreign Study full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

AIFS gave me the fresh start in a great career path that I needed. I was struggling to find a good company to work for until I came to AIFS. They have provided me the opportunity to give my life a platform to build from. Happy to work here and I plan on staying for a long time. The entire staff is supportive and friendly. Very thankful to work at AIFS.

Great ethos and company goal.

Cons

35 hour paid work week.

Would rather have less "company functions, meals/lunches, excursions, expenses" and more income.

Some positions will have a lot of stress, but what job doesn't.

Not downtown.

Advice to Management

40 hour work weeks would be better than 35. Would have liked a little bit more training.

May 20, 2016 – Director of Human Resources

Thank you for taking the time to share your review! We are happy to be providing a fresh start and we truly believe that having a hard working but happy team is the key to our success. Sometime we ... More

8. "AIFS"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Stamford, CT

Pros

AIFS takes care of their employees really well. Food trucks, free lunches, generous benefits package, opportunities for learning, and travel. Management is thoughtful about days off in case of bad weather and supports flexible work schedules.

Cons

Still under a year of working here and would like to have a better understanding of what everyone does in each division. (I feel like that is on me though, not the organization)

May 20, 2016 – Director of Human Resources

Thank you for taking the time to post your review! We try to put safety first with our staff and during questionable snow we prefer to work from home than risk any issues on the road. We are ... More

"Great entry-level job"

Former Employee - Placement Assistant in Stamford, CT
    Former Employee - Placement Assistant in Stamford, CT

I worked at American Institute For Foreign Study full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Very relaxed atmosphere, very nice co-workers, can wear jeans/casual clothing, good benefits, good institutional effort to keep employees happy, office complex (as of 2014) includes free gym with sauna. I had a great relationship with my co-workers and my supervisors. I had freedom to expand my role and take on new tasks.

Cons

My position did not have room for growth and was not my desired career field, otherwise I was very happy. I did not make a ton of money but it was my first job out of college, so that was expected.

Apr 23, 2015 – Director of Human Resources

Thank you for your feedback! We are aware that in several departments the structure is a bit flat and with long term employees there is lower turnover which can affect promotionaly opportunities ... More

"Manager"

Former Employee - Manager in Stamford, CT
    Former Employee - Manager in Stamford, CT

I worked at American Institute For Foreign Study full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Can wear casual clothes including jeans. Friendly atmosphere. Nice people.

Cons

Heavy workload is not compensated in salary. No real career path. Managers do not have managerial experience. Not allowed to take lunch at same with the whole team.

Apr 30, 2015 – Director of Human Resources

Thank you for your feedback! In the last year we have brought on a program of sending new managers to AMA training to give them support in their transition to management. Normally their managers ... More

11. "Unforgetable experience!"

Former Employee - Au Pair in Philadelphia, PA
    Former Employee - Au Pair in Philadelphia, PA

I worked at American Institute For Foreign Study full-time (More than a year)

Pros

You have time to travel and care your hobbies, earn pocket money, be part of an American education system and get some useful experience!

Cons

The worst is an introduction to their culture far away different from Europens (spoilt kids + too busy parents= bad combination). As soon as you get use of it (sometimes it take time, maybe a month or two), it becomes a part of you!

Advice to Management

I'm not here to sell advices, but I think the program is working perfectly!