American Institutes for Research Reviews | Glassdoor

American Institutes for Research President, CEO and Director David Myers
David Myers

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • Some sections of the organization struggle with work-life balance (in 35 reviews)

• unfair and abusive treatment of staff by upper management (in 12 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Great place to work"

Current Employee - Senior Researcher in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Senior Researcher in Washington, DC

I have been working at American Institutes for Research full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great experience for conducting research that matters for governments. Smart colleagues that work hard. Strong research assistants and good organization.

Cons

Hard work is needed. Large organization, which brings some bureaucracy. Not always clear how organizational structures work. Overall a great place to work.

Advice to Management

Continue on the current path and invest strategically in new research opportunities for the long term. Provide incentives to research associates to stay longer.

"Think twice before accepting a job at AIR"

Former Employee - Test Development Specialist in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Test Development Specialist in Washington, DC

Pros

The location of their HQ--Georgetown--can't be beat. Salaries are competitive, and there are many bright, engaging people there. Those in the In-Crowd are well rewarded.

Cons

I don't know about other divisions (I've heard they're much better), but the assessment division has a well-deserved reputation for being extremely oppressive and unfair to employees. (Turnover is very high.) There is a definite "in-crowd" mentality, overtly stated as, "if you want to be successful here, you have to know how to / be willing to socialize appropriately" (i.e., you will be rewarded for your ability to endure and enjoy late-night gatherings with management). Those whose first obligation is to family or to a good night's sleep are penalized accordingly. Good performance is rewarded only for those in this in-crowd. With very few exceptions, excellent performance evaluations do not translate into raises or promotions for those unwilling to conform. And like many other places with an academic bent, pedigree is paramount. A degree from a top college or university carries much more weight than years of experience and good work, even when the over-pedigreed are under-performing.

Unrealistic timelines and very tight budgets contribute to the high levels of frustration.

Advice to Management

Learn from the turnover, the lawsuits, the pervasive anger. It's not a big mystery that so many employees at every level are unhappy.

"Terrible place to work"

Former Employee - Terrible Place to Work in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Terrible Place to Work in Washington, DC

Pros

Nice building, Friendly mail room staff

Cons

High turnover, two-faced managers, low pay, HR only there to help the project managers. My project managers were good fundraisers, but nutty in terms of day-to-day management. They move staff offices like a game of musical chairs.

Advice to Management

Make the HR department more open to staff members.

"Don't work there"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Pros

Nice office location, generally smart staff, casual office.

Cons

Management has no respect for staff. They expect people to work crazy hours and then are surprised and upset when people are unhappy. Promotions are based on how much time you spend drinking with your manager at happy hour. HR is utterly ineffective and does not care about the staff.

Advice to Management

Respect and communicate with your staff.

"More like a temp agency, but with benefits. No respect for employees."

Former Employee - Communications in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Communications in Washington, DC

Pros

Not all divisions are completely bad. But some are so insular that they treat the rest of AIR as competitors. Best to worst: HSD, EHDW, Education, International ... Health.

Cons

Complete disregard for fairness, respect, or valuing of employees. Very inconsistent with stated mission. Work is less and less challenging as AIR chooses to partner for proposals with better-equipped companies who then provide the real value. The internal staff suffers from stagnation. Indifferent work is rewarded as well as anything.

Advice to Management

Consider treating employees as potentially valuable assets to be nourished, promoted, encouraged, and perhaps kept long enough to create a true in-house team that contains the institutional knowledge and capabilities advertised.

"Started great, ended as my most negative employment experience."

Former Employee - Research Associate in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Research Associate in Washington, DC

Pros

The job started positively, the work was interesting, people were friendly, there were lots of catered meals. They also had a large number of parties and social events, which some people may really enjoy, but were not something I was interested in. However, that turns into a negative in the next section.

Cons

I was lied to a number of times by senior management, verbally and in writing. I was told in writing that I would be getting a promotion at one point, and then they decided not to promote me. The very next year, I was turned down for a promotion again. This did not just affect me. I spoke to a number of coworkers that this has happened to. You may be promised promotions only to have them taken away at what amounts to a whim. Promotions are very difficult to come by, even if you are doing vital work for the company. The employee appraisal system is meaningless.

A few of the less egregious lies involved the ability to work from home and assurances that I would only need to work 40 hours a week. I donated a substantial amount of time in most pay periods, just to get critical work done in time.

I did not attend many parties, and this is where I honestly believe the job started to go from good to bad. I had a coworker at one point tell me that if I didn't go to the social events, that it would be incredibly difficult for me to progress past a certain point in the company. I didn't believe it at the time, but I sincerely regret not listening now. I had thought that hard work, doing the things that others couldn't, good ideas, and being overwhelmingly positive would be enough, but it wasn't. As time went on, I got the feeling that management was unhappy with me. Things got progressively worse over time until, as I neared my last day, there was what seemed like outright anger or disdain.

I have worked a number of jobs; I worked in the service industry when I was younger, and professional, career jobs since. I have left all of them on good terms with everyone that I worked with and have good friends that I met at most of them. I have never left a job under such acrimonious conditions. I was never told what caused them. My advice to others would be this: Be cautious and make friends with the senior management. If you don't, advancing in your career could be much more difficult or impossible.

Advice to Management

Follow through on what you say you're going to do or allow. Lying about promotions or the ability to work from home really hurts the employees when they count on those things and they never materialize.

Try to understand the work that your employees do. If you aren't willing to listen to the employees that work for you, you can't make the best decisions for any project.

Value people based on merit, not how many social events they attend or how they seem to want to be friends. Some people value time with their children or families, and punishing or disliking them for that is unfair.

"Would not recommend..."

I worked at American Institutes for Research full-time

Pros

- Free bagels and coffee

Cons

- Poor Management
    - Not innovative
    - Many projects seem to be mismanaged with little positive results being produced for the people they are meant to help.
    - Employees are over-worked and over-stressed
    - Lots of government funds wasted on useless projects

Advice to Management

Treat employees with more respect. Learn how to manage.

"Working here is torture"

Current Employee - Communication Specialist
    Current Employee - Communication Specialist

Pros

Flex hours -- but totally off-set during proposal season
    Casual dress -- but what does it matter, most folk look like re-treads
    Location -- but you won't get out much

Cons

No career path
    Weak managerial talent
    Re-hashed credentials
    No investment in talent, in capital equipment, in technology
    Mostly serve as a pass-thru for outside specialists
    Lackluster assignments
    No opportunity to stretch

Advice to Management

Stop being so short-sighted
    Invest in your company's future
    Look around -- be realistic in assessing your competition
    Stop going after every RFP that comes down the pike -- be strategic and you won't be so hungry
    See you employees as capital getting in the elevator at the end of the day
    Treat employees with respect -- don't tolerated indiscriminate managerial treatment and favoritism

"Not good for entry-level staff"

Current Employee - Research in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Research in Washington, DC

I have been working at American Institutes for Research full-time

Pros

Some perks are nice - free coffee, bagels on Wednesdays. The company gives lip-service to work/life balance and the mission is a good one.

Cons

Don't make this your first job. You'll be stuck and stale a few years later. AIR works its junior staff very hard, but offers very few opportunities for advancement.

Advice to Management

After the employee engagement surveys of the past few years, some additional attention seems to have been paid to research assistants and associates. Make sure the senior technical staff and management internalize the importance of these staff.

"high living expense with low pay and much much much work"

I worked at American Institutes for Research full-time

Pros

free beverage and other unimportant benefit
    location is dc area not far from metro

Cons

a lot
    too too too much work
    get promote not base on your performance