American Kidney Fund Reviews | Glassdoor

2.8
Rating Trends Rating Trends
CEO

"Getting much better"

I have been working at American Kidney Fund full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

I enjoy coming to work each day. I am proud to work with people who really care about the mission. The benefits are outstanding especially for a nonprofit. The working atmosphere at AKF has gotten SO much better over the past year, with the departure of quite a few long-term, very senior employees. That's all I will say about that.

Cons

The workload can be excessive at times, and management does not always seem to realize this. There is also limited opportunity for promotions because it is a smaller organization, only about 60 employees all together.

Advice to Management

Be quicker to recognize when there is a detrimentlal HR situation, and be quicker to take decisive action. We should not have to complain for years about co-workers with no solution.

2. "Run."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

I worked at American Kidney Fund full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Health benefits are decent. Yep, that's it.

Cons

You can't trust most people personally or professionally. HR is operating like it's 1985 with little flexibility. There's a bunch of cronies from another health non-profit. Heavy on turnover and there are even many who should have left 20 years ago. Few opportunities to advance within the organization because they would rather hire a new person. No loyalty to veteran employees.

Advice to Management

Advice doesn't matter. They don't care about you or what you think.

3. "Special Event Manager"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Saint Petersburg, FL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Saint Petersburg, FL

I have been working at American Kidney Fund (Less than a year)

Pros

Great mission, solid CEO with integrity

Cons

Senior management has little experience managing large teams and lacks the ability to support employees. Concerns by staff members are not taken seriously or acted upon by the human resources department. Little opportunity for advancement as the majority of the teams are full of senior directors.

Advice to Management

Train senior staff members on leadership techniques and management skills. Show more interest in employee development. Offer tuition reimbursement for relevant coursework.

"Excellent Place to Work - Don't Pay Attention to Negative Reviews"

Current Employee - Coordinator In Programs Office in Rockville, MD
    Current Employee - Coordinator In Programs Office in Rockville, MD

I have been working at American Kidney Fund full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

People are great! Mission is real and we help a lot of people. Management cares about staff and is very business focused. Metrics driven and we accomplish a lot. If you like to work hard this is a place for you.

Cons

Were always busy so this leaves little time for reflection. Other than that there are no cons. Location is good, benefits are great, flexible schedules and we get raises better than most non profits.

Advice to Management

I would echo one of the other reviewers. There are are few employees that are not committed and just like to complain. Move those employees out and keep hiring what appears to be promising new employees with great attitudes. Management has done this some in the past year and those who departed recently won't be missed. Probably some of those negative on this message board are those that were not committed to do their best or making it a good place to work.

6. "Room for Improvement"

Pros

Good benefits. Does good work to support patients.

Cons

Lots of micro-managing by top team.

"A stalwart and fulfilling place to work"

I have been working at American Kidney Fund full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Mission: one of the remaining national nonprofit organizations that offers DIRECT financial support to patients in need. AKF literally saves lives by helping people afford their health insurance. They also provide small grants directly to patients to offset additional treatment-related costs.

Work Culture: professional, well-mannered and fun. Most coworkers and teams work well together and collaboratively. Constant focus on quality of work environment, staff morale and work-life balance.

Stability: grounded, well-thought out decisions by board and executive teams. The organization has a long-standing history and a working vision for the future.

Process: HR, operations and financial management systems are sound. Processes are in place and followed to ensure efficiency. HR is proactive and reactive appropriately and policies are equitable and sound.

Benefits (health, dental, vision and optional life): head and shoulders above what is offered at other nonprofits. Compensation is fair and increases are handled transparently. Work schedule allows for early dismissal every Friday.

Facilities and Technology: offices are clean, well maintained and everyone is provided with the most up-to-date technology appropriate to fulfill their job. At least 6 group/conference meeting spaces are provided and are equipped to host remote meetings and webinars.

Cons

Some shared work spaces: many staff work in open air cubicles. At times, it can be difficult to work without doors to close.

Departmental silos: at times, some departments or groups of people within a department seem a part from the normal work culture. Whether it's self-induced or on purpose, some silos are evident.

Advice to Management

I strongly believe that employees are the greatest asset an organization has and investing in them will help the organization succeed. I think AKF, within reason and appropriately, is trying to invest in their workforce.

When I joined the AKF team, I was very mindful of everything I commented on in the PROS section. Those were the most important things to me, having worked in at least four other medium to large nonprofit organizations. I felt AKF checked off all the boxes of what I wanted in my next job so I happily joined the team.

My advice to our management is to continue to be mindful of our staff, work diligently to understand and meet our needs within appropriate reason, and celebrate the wonderful work we accomplish together. Beyond that, continue to make decisions that solidify AKF's position in the national landscape as the largest nonprofit organization that assists patients with kidney disease.

Our work is to fulfill our mission. If we all keep that in our view and focus, how can we go wrong!

8. "Best Place I Have Ever Worked At"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Rockville, MD

I have been working at American Kidney Fund full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Mission is awesome. AKF assists kidney patients with direct financial monetary assistance and we go out in the community to prevent kidney disease. My colleagues are great and the work environment is wonderful. Benefits are good, flex days and early closures on Friday are a big plus.

Cons

None worth mentioning. I have worked at other organizations and for profit companies and this is by the far the best place I have ever worked at.

Advice to Management

Management does care about its employees. It keeps its Quality Work Initiative active, it has provided extra holidays and promotes from within when positions do become available. My only comment to management is that when there are those few bad hires they should be let go more quickly as the majority of the AKF employees do such a great job and because there are just 70 or so of us that when one or two people are not pulling their weight others need to cover for them.

"Thinking about working here...run for your life and keep looking!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Rockville, MD

I have been working at American Kidney Fund full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Decent salaries for some but not all.
    Some patients are helped as long as they are with very specific dialysis companies. Great co-workers.

Cons

Where do I begin? I'm not sure that leadership believes in the mission or honestly cares about the people we serve. The development team has had difficulties raising funds for years now. Development basically brought in new "result proven" staff and it seems they still can't seem to raise any significant money. Not a bright idea to bring in so much new staff while no major funds are being raised. Aside from the one person who is the face of the organization, there are no people of color on the executive team or in significant leadership positions. The few POC who were in leadership/ director roles were fired or voluntarily severed ties in the last 12 months. What's up with that? A very specific executive makes over $400,000 annually, plus a bonus. That's a lot of money for a small non-profit, particularly one that's had some budget issues in the last few years. It's also a large sum to think about as you sit at lunch eating affordable ramen noodles, longing for a pay increase. No room for growth, which is probably why many of us who are still left are looking for jobs almost daily.

Advice to Management

Keep promises made during the interview process, and care more about your employees. The most significant leaders of the organization, whom I can't name or my review will be flagged need to operate the organization like a non- profit in the year 2015. It seems like we are still stuck in the world of the 80's work force and absolutely function as an 80"s non-profit. More transparency from the top down.

"Bad Leadership"

I have been working at American Kidney Fund full-time

Pros

Learn a lot about your health

Cons

leadership doesn't care about employees, a lot of favoritism, no room for growth, low pay, bad managers and all you can think of.

Advice to Management

leadership needs change

"Poorly Managed Organization. Stay Away"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Rockville, MD
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Rockville, MD

I worked at American Kidney Fund full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Some kidney patients are helped, but only by default.

Cons

The CEO and COO of this organization are at the core of the issues. The culture is unbearable because of the poor leadership. The organization exists for the sole purpose of making dialysis companies rich and the funding model is not stable.

Advice to Management

The only way the organization will get better is if there is a complete overhaul of leadership.