American Kiosk Management Reviews | Glassdoor

2.8
Rating Trends Rating Trends
American Kiosk Management CEO Linda Johansen-James
Linda Johansen-James

Pros
  • Also, 50% discount on Proactiv, Sheer Cover, and WEN (in 4 reviews)

• Flexible hours and fun co-workers (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • Set unrealistic sales goals with 18 something year olds, who have never had a sales job before (in 5 reviews)

• Very little to no communication past the Store Leader (in 3 reviews)

1. "Complicated but wonderful."

Former Employee - Team Member in Arlington, TX
    Former Employee - Team Member in Arlington, TX

I worked at American Kiosk Management part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

You learn many useful skills you will need in the future. Hours are fairly flexible. Pay check is never late. They treat their employees like family. You're sick? Get well. You broke your toe? We'll move your start date so you can heal a bit. No worries. Everyone has each others backs. Training is thorough but quick. Trust is a big key in this job. You can advance quickly. I was only there for about 7 months but I was still able to train others and make bank deposits and so on. You run your own kiosk very quickly.

Cons

Doing inventory takes hours after you've closed and is somehow always incorrect in the system. There should be a better way! Other employees take advantage of the trust and usually leave messes or make mistakes and attempt to blame others. All employees are included in work meetings via phone call, I didn't understand why this was necessary as everyone except the speaker was meant to keep their phone muted and not pitch in very much.

Advice to Management

Organization has to be included at more than just the kiosks. Find spots for kiosks, that are NOT in direct sunlight or at least make sure a chair is available. Working a 8 hour shift in the sun with only a 30 minute break in between takes a toll on people. I passed out in the girls room, at the mall, because I got too dehydrated and hot. I had to call another employee to take over my shift because I became violently ill.

2. "Company is very unorganized and lacked communication."

Former Employee - Store Manager in San Antonio, TX
    Former Employee - Store Manager in San Antonio, TX

I worked at American Kiosk Management full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Decent commission, make your own schedule, no one micro managing you, kiosk is easy to maintain, great discount on the products.

Cons

Little to no training for management, no pay raises, company has no idea what they want to do. Corporate understaffed.

Advice to Management

COMMUNICATION.

"Ethics And High Standards"

Current Employee - IT Manager in Las Vegas, NV
    Current Employee - IT Manager in Las Vegas, NV

I have been working at American Kiosk Management full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

They Motivate and Encourage their employees to "do the right thing" for their customers and their peers. American Kiosk Management offers a Leadership Academy Program that helps their employees to grow personally and within the corporation. They have many number of employees with with successful careers for over 10-15 years of working continuously at this company all over the United States and Canada. That by itself should tell you how much people love working here, there is plenty of opportunity of growth for those who are driven and passionate and have the right skill set for this industry.

Cons

The Retail world faces challenges like no other industry in the market, with high turnover rates, aggressive seasonal labor competitors and expensive overheads at the malls. However AKM offers long term employment opportunities and sales careers with benefits and competitive commission based salaries and bonuses for those who are willing to put in the right amount of work and dedication. Not everyone has what it takes to survive in Retail AKM does!

Advice to Management

Keep your sights set in the future of the industry and allow skilled employees to bring everything they got to the table which will keep the company moving forward into the next level of the retail industry and online ecommerce world.

"Corporate"

Former Employee - Nevada in Las Vegas, NV
    Former Employee - Nevada in Las Vegas, NV

I worked at American Kiosk Management full-time

Pros

Very nice people. Everyone means well. Hard workers at the top even if hard doesn't always mean smart.

Cons

Maybe not the best management style or business strategy. It was difficult to be around some of the decisions being made and I wasn't being paid to stick around like others were.

Advice to Management

If you're an excutive without a business sense, you have to find the best people to run your operation for you, not just the most loyal. You shouldn't stamp out others only because you have the power to do so. It was easy to leave and what you left to make big decisions isn't that impressive.

5. "Awesome Company to be a part off."

Current Employee - Zoom Customer Service Representative in Las Vegas, NV
    Current Employee - Zoom Customer Service Representative in Las Vegas, NV

I have been working at American Kiosk Management full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I have the privilege of working at this great company. Working hard with a great team to change life's everyday. So many opportunities to grow personally and work related. AKM is very employee driven, They will go above and beyond to help the ones in need. Everyone is friendly and our CEO Linda is a great person always saying good morning and checking in to see how every employee is doing. We have employees's working for this company for over 13 years. AKM offers great company benefits.

Cons

The turn over during the seasonal time, when everyone else in retail is hiring.

6. "They treat you like family"

Current Employee - Senior Vice President, Retail Sales and Operations in Las Vegas, NV

I have been working at American Kiosk Management full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Plenty of autonomy and freedom to succeed or fail by your own efforts. Constant development, guidance and growth opportunities. Positive contributions are always recognized and generously rewarded. Truly a company with the focus on the people - both customers and employees.

Cons

The retail market is dynamic and changes in the marketplace happen quickly and we must be prepared to react and adjust plans. Some of us thrive in that type of environment, but not everyone is cut out for it.

Advice to Management

Continue growing, learning, chain and trying new things. Every new challenge is an opportunity to bounce back better than before.

"Average Retailer"

Former Employee - Team Member/Store Leader in Winston-Salem, NC
    Former Employee - Team Member/Store Leader in Winston-Salem, NC

Pros

Hourly + Commission, 50% discount, earn PTO when you're a store leader, company really cares about clientele and work hard to provide multiple training opportunities to employees, room for advancement

Cons

High turn over rate of divisional directors (they're overworked and underpaid) so there isn't any strong support for store locations that are suffering or need more training to keep sales up. Instead of sending support or retraining, they close the store down and put in machines.

Advice to Management

Stop laying off the good leaders when they earn too much to keep your own pockets filled. Put more divisional directors back in the field so 5-6 aren't spread across US and Canada.

8. "I loved it there!"

Former Employee - Store Leader in Indianapolis, IN
    Former Employee - Store Leader in Indianapolis, IN

I worked at American Kiosk Management full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I have worked for AKM at the Castleton Mall in Indianapolis location for almost a year. I got hired in March 2015 and by June 2015 I was the Store leader of that location. Compared to the job that I have now I would say that it was easy money what I did there. When I took over the kiosk as a manager we were not able to meet the goals but step by step we became one of the profitable locations. I figured that you have to really believe in the product that you are selling, because you re not just an order taker from the customers, you are an ambassador of that brand and you are there to help people! A proper consultation can help a lot, plus in the industry not many actually take time to listen to their customers and their concerns. The product knowledge and a very engaged team is the key for success! also the support that we got from our mentors and Divisional Director was awesome! He was all the time in the field with us and selling and coaching trying to show us that this is easy. As long as you do your job and actually taking your job seriously you can be awesome at it. You CAN actually change lives! I have had both teenagers and adults returning and thanking me for listening to their concerns and helping them with their skin problems! I even got hugs and loyal customers and that for me was the best part of the job!
    As a store manager you have 40 hours guaranteed and as a team member you can get up to 25 hours/week . They have benefits packages for both store leaders and team members with medical insurance and all.
    the goals/metrics are pretty easy to touch once you understand how they are all connected and the fact that they are all linked once to another and those say also a lot about the way you are doing your job.

Cons

The hourly pay can be higher but you can make up for that through commission. Just think about it what you don't sell it's money left on the table, or oh well on the shelves.

Advice to Management

Develop a rewards program for the customers!

"Unless you have a strong tolerance for nepotism, this is not your company."

Former Employee - Corporate in Las Vegas, NV
    Former Employee - Corporate in Las Vegas, NV

I worked at American Kiosk Management full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

If the C-levels like you they will be nice enough.

Cons

This company is the definition of nepotism. The VPs are uneducated, have little to no class or professionalism, and absolutely no training when it comes to leadership or coaching a team. But they are the favorites of the owners--so get ready to deal with someone who is completely vain, and almost always wrong but you can't speak to about their issues because they're "perfect" in the eyes of the CEO.

Linda Johansen-James is unprofessional and plays favorites around the office. She will straight up tell someone that it's okay for the management in a department to get credit and steal someone else's work. I've seen it happen in all the corporate departments.

The Training department is a sad, untrained know-it-alls, who unfortunately thinks that it counts as knowing about training when you've googled everything and listen to some motivational speeches. It is also full of some of the most racist, classist and inappropriate things that could come from a corporate environment. I've heard it said that a manager at a location wasn't doing well and should be rotated out because he was black. I've heard them make fun of transgendered employees, employees who are 'poor' (despite the fact that this company pays most of the people who work in the field around minimum wage), and employees who are overweight by their standards.

Every month, this company forces you to read some "motivational" picture book written by Mac Anderson. Get ready to talk about how great everyone is on Monday morning, without actually getting into the issues that the company is facing.

The HR department is a joke, for the most part. They are completely bias in the workplace, and honestly will say some of the most offensive things.

This company has no loyalty within it because the leadership shows no loyalty to the employees. If you don't meet their (often unrealistic) sales goals, prepare to be written up or shown the door. In the corporate office, if they don't like you and you aren't a part of their "culture", then prepared to be tortured mentally every day until you either fit the mold, leave, or they work it out so that they can fire you. I've seen them fire single mothers, people who relocated across the country for a position (fired 2 months later), people going through illnesses, a pregnant woman in the last trimester, and people who have been with the company 7+ years. They also make sure to get signatures and play the HR game well, so that they can deny unemployment to all of these people without too much of a hassle.

Because of their shady work with payment, they've had to pay thousands outside of the courtroom to keep people quiet, including those in the field who were not paid for their hours or paid correctly.

It's honestly amazing how this company has stayed in business so long, but it's mostly due to the hardwork of those desperate or blind enough to give their sanity for wages that are roughly 20% under the industry standards.

Advice to Management

Get your act together. You don't inspire loyalty, hard work, or dedication. Your motto, core values and mission statement are a true mockery of the unrealistic standards that you put your workers through on a daily basis. Perhaps stop paying yourselves such ridiculous amounts, and stop remodeling and moving offices to seem posh, when over 90% of your workers are paid far below living wages. Stop expecting your people, barely scraping by, to only work at AKM and not get a second job, and to give ridiculous hours for little to no pay.

Get over yourselves and actually work, and the company will go a lot farther.

"Horrid Company with Flawed Values"

Former Employee - Team Member in San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - Team Member in San Diego, CA

I worked at American Kiosk Management part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Work environment can be fun depending on which mall you work in. 50% off merchandise.

Cons

Team Members REMAINED at $8/hr+ 2% commission on their sales. Managers made only $9/hr + 4% commission on the kiosks entire sales. District managers are arrogant and try to constantly oversimplify how to upsell customers. Corporate won't let you sit on a chair like other mall kiosks.

Advice to Management

Start adding value to your company because it's evident that you aren't.