American Legislative Exchange Council Reviews | Glassdoor

Allen Smith

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Great Place"

I worked at American Legislative Exchange Council as an intern

Pros

Very friendly and dedicated professionals.

Cons

There is a political slant to much of their work.

2. "Benefit does not outweigh the cost"

Current Intern - Internship in Arlington, VA
    Current Intern - Internship in Arlington, VA

I have been working at American Legislative Exchange Council as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

You meet intelligent people that are involved in politics
    Filled with kind people
    They re-compensate traveling fee and $10.00 worth of food everyday but it's not enough for you to sustain.

Cons

Most of the interns don't have anything to do.
    There isn't much to do other than googling for news and writing a blog, that might get posted after a month you submitted.
    For those who want experience and do not have great amount of funds this is not the right place for you.
    It really isn't worth it.
    I am not bashing this organization because it does good to the society and America as a whole but as an intern you aren't going to get anything in return.
    Waste of time and money in trying to achieve "experience".
    I really wish someone would have told me about this before applying to it

Advice to Management

Try to discuss and formulate a better experience-giving environment to the interns. This might be hard but invest in your interns because they have put trust and are investing in the company the moment they are hired. Thank You

3. "Great Internship"

Former Employee - Intern
    Former Employee - Intern

I worked at American Legislative Exchange Council full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

At ALEC interns receive greater responsibilities and one-on-one time with department heads than other DC internships provide. There are opportunities to be published on the site or through op-eds. Reimbursement for food and transportation. Flexibility with supervisors to attend DC events during the day

Cons

Some supervisors are more organized, encouraging, and helpful than others. Management only deals with what it can see or is confronted with. A few interns were told they would work in one department and when they arrived they were told they had to work at another department.

Advice to Management

Be honest

4. "Summer Internship"

Pros

Nice people
    Opportunity to travel for Annual Meeting

Cons

Not enough work to be done for the number of interns they hired
    Work is often secretarial

5. "Great Internship"

I worked at American Legislative Exchange Council as an intern

Pros

Wonderful staff, great experience, would recommend

Cons

N/A- I enjoyed my time there

6. "Research Associate"

I worked at American Legislative Exchange Council full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Members are great, events are enjoyable to attend. Your chance to work with state legislators is second to none.

Cons

It is a small organization, and doesn't take the time to develop itself or staff. Slow to respond to both internal and external criticism.

7. "Great association with horrendous leadership."

Pros

-The staff (coworkers) were fantastic. They were truly there to do good work and help you achieve your own goals.
    -Location was fantastic (they've since moved to VA)
    -You had the freedom to make your own schedule and do as you chose.

Cons

-The leadership is non-existent and extremely unhelpful - except for the Policy Department.
    -When attacked by those who didn't believe in ALEC's mission, there was no internal support set up and the lower level staff (ie. anyone not senior management) was the line that caught nearly all the negativity/pressure/work. It was extremely disorganized.
    -The senior management, other than the Policy Department, did not properly support its staff or keep them updated on important developments.

Advice to Management

Learn to listen to and work with your staff. Set up better internal and external response systems.

8. "One of the Top Internships in D.C."

Current Employee - Intern in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Intern in Washington, DC

I have been working at American Legislative Exchange Council part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

As an intern, you have the opportunity to write, research, work with state legislators and attend events on the Hill, at the National Press Club and other venues in D.C. Furthermore, the guest speaker lunches on Wednesdays are invaluable - I learned how to better my future from these speakers. You really are like 'one of the staff' because you have so many opportunities. Much of the work that legislative analysts do, you will be doing as well.
    From this internship, I have become a better writer, a more-efficient researcher, a better communicator, a better networker and I have increased my network greatly as I have had the chance to meet many influential people.

Cons

Had to do some printing and folder-stuffing, but only for a week or two.
    Unpaid (although they do pay for lunch once per week and reimburse travel expenses).

Advice to Management

For non-task force members: From an intern's perspective, it would be nice to interact more. I would have loved to get to know you and pick your brain for advice. Furthermore, I would have loved to know what you do on a day-to-day basis. You were all very friendly, but I didn't get to know any of you and I would have gotten more out of this internship if you had imparted some of your wisdom to me.

9. "Solid Experience and Great People"

Former Employee - Intern in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Intern in Washington, DC

Pros

This is a great place to intern as you truly are given substantial work and room to grow. Also, they seem quite willing to move interns into permanent positions when able. Management is also very friendly and open.

Cons

As an intern, you aren't paid. So, that's a reason to intern elsewhere.

Advice to Management

You guys are doing great!

10. "Not bad for an unpaid internship"

Current Employee - Meetings
    Current Employee - Meetings

Pros

I was an intern, and it is an unpaid position. Not uncommon for DC. But if you must take an unpaid internship, this is a good one. It has perks! They pay for your travel and lunches, and all sorts of training. The people you work with are nice, friendly. Its a small office so you'll work with everyone a bit.

Cons

Not getting paid. They have enough corporate sponsors, you'd think someone would fork over for the interns.

Advice to Management

You are competent and intelligent. I have no complaints. If only I were conservative I would go work for you forever.