American Marketing and Publishing Reviews in DeKalb, IL | Glassdoor

3.3
American Marketing and Publishing CEO Abram Andrzejewski
Abram Andrzejewski

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Helping small business owners create success and hearing about it is so gratifying (in 37 reviews)

• It's a growing company that continues to be run like a small business (in 35 reviews)

Cons
  • Lots of your own gas and wear and tear (in 16 reviews)

• You will get rejected often by business owners and you need to know how to not take it personal and keep moving (in 31 reviews)

1. "Great training and development and they care"

Former Employee - Director in DeKalb, IL
    Former Employee - Director in DeKalb, IL

I worked at American Marketing and Publishing (Less than a year)

Pros

Detailed on hand training and support for their new employees

Cons

None significant other than parking hard to come by.

Advice to Management

None

"Get What You Put In"

Current Employee - Outside Sales Representative in DeKalb, IL

I have been working at American Marketing and Publishing full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

- Outside sales reps are not micro-managed.
    - Management is very understanding of life events and allow you to take the time needed to assure your family / work balance is properly attended to.
    - Earning potential is definitely there, but if you are not driven you will not make the right amount of money.
    - As long as they see the potential in you and you produce to their level the movement in the company comes pretty swiftly.

Cons

- More often than not, everything is fine, but on those occasions that there is a mishap you have to keep on the payroll department to make sure your numbers are correct. This shouldn't happen ever though. My position requires a ton of attention and I should not have to worry if the payroll department is going to get my commissions correct. If you lose trust in the person that handles your financial well-being, it can cause trust to be lost in the entire company.
    - The health insurance is not all that pleasing. The good package is too expensive and the inexpensive packages have huge deductibles.

Advice to Management

There needs to be a transition from paper-based logging to digital. Provide iPads to outside sales reps so they do not have to handwrite every aspect of their day.

"Blessed and Proud of my Career at American Marketing and Publishing"

Current Employee - Inside Sales Representative in DeKalb, IL
    Current Employee - Inside Sales Representative in DeKalb, IL

I have been working at American Marketing and Publishing full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I have been working for American Marketing and Publishing as an inside sales representative in Dekalb for a year now. I love my career and I am very grateful for my position here. American Marketing and Publishing is led by the most compassionate, uplifting, and motivating CEO's and management that I have ever had the privilege of knowing. I feel blessed to work for a company that abundantly supports and inspires personal growth and positivity throughout their workplace. Not to mention, my career with this company has granted me far more than financial stability, but also great benefits and opportunities I would have never dreamed of years ago. There are not enough words to express how much I am truly fortunate for my career here at American Marketing and Publishing. Another part of this company that I love and appreciate is that every single employee has an equal opportunity for career advancement. American Marketing and Publishing is readily growing and expanding, which allows every employee the opportunity to work their way up the ladder.

Cons

Any sales position poses certain hardships. Overcoming rejection and keeping a positive mindset is one of the most important obstacles. Luckily, American Marketing and Publishing provides its salespeople with the tools to overcome rejection and maintain an optimistic perspective, as long as it is utilized correctly.

"Do not work here"

Current Employee - Outside Sales Representative in DeKalb, IL

Pros

I got paid the last week and I did nothing.

Cons

If I could give this a 0 rating, I would. YOURE SELLING PHONEBOOKS! No one buys phonebooks anymore but they lead you to believe that everyone buys them.
    Training was 2 weeks for at least 10 hours a day with the expectation of going home and doing 3 hours of homework.
    Unrealistic expectations of how much to seek within first 2-3 weeks of job.
    Some employees were fired writhing 2 weeks for underperforming while others got 2 months.
    100% turnover rate within 2 months in a training class of 16.
    They will ask you to resign instead of firing you.
    They do not help you learn your territory and what products cost what.
    Expected to work more than 40 hours with no overtime pay and expected to have "working lunches" or eat while driving.
    Extremely pushy sales people and offensive towards customers. The town I was in HATED the previous sales person going as far as calling the police on her for refusing to leave their business (that rep was a supervisor FYI)
    Their whole company is a scam, they do not tell customers that they aren't allowed to cancel contracts and advise you not to tell them that.
    You WILL be threatened and yelled at by potential customers.
    You WILL Abe driving at least 100 miles a day.
    You will spend all your time in the car.
    You are expected to use your own cell phone for lots of internet use and are not compensated.

Advice to Management

Learn how to train people and grow employees. Your belief system is everyone's replaceable and it doesn't matter but something is to be said when your company has such a high turnover rate.

"Wouldn't recommend"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in DeKalb, IL

I worked at American Marketing and Publishing (Less than a year)

Pros

Extensive training. Good if you prefer not to be confined to an office.

Cons

Much wear and tear on vehicle. Too much turnover with employees. No work and personal life balance. Almost cult like expectations of employees.

Advice to Management

None

American Marketing and Publishing Response

May 9, 2017 – Recruiting

We appreciate the compliments relative to our training. It’s a part of the business we’re never completely satisfied with and proudly upgrade every year!

Regarding your feedback that led to a... More

"Impossible to Advance"

Former Employee - Account Manager in DeKalb, IL
    Former Employee - Account Manager in DeKalb, IL

I worked at American Marketing and Publishing full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Dedicated and friendly sales training.

Cons

Low salary, All large accounts and potential large accounts are given to vetted employees. Little chance of advancing in the company. Promoting outside sales efforts across a large territory with your OWN vehicle which you CANT expense.

American Marketing and Publishing Response

May 9, 2017 – Recruiting

We appreciate the feedback and compliments relative to our sales training. We are disappointed that you perceived there to be little chance of advancement. We have prided ourselves on promoting... More

"Not bad"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in DeKalb, IL

I worked at American Marketing and Publishing full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The sales training at their headquarters in Dekalb was extensive and high caliber. There was a lot of good information, techniques, and materials. The trainers were attentive and passionate and the company CEO visited our class and shared his inspiring story of a passion for supporting small businesses.

Cons

The company culture was a little too college freshman for me, I didn't enjoy a lot of the ego that was thrown around. That being said, there is a good opportunity there for someone who is interested in pure sales.

Advice to Management

Cultivate a culture of appreciation. The sales style that is promoted may be seen as relentless and unyielding. Some bridges have been burned in communities where a persistent presence with lower pressure may have been more effective.

"Nice Scam!"

Former Employee - Sales Representative in DeKalb, IL
    Former Employee - Sales Representative in DeKalb, IL

I worked at American Marketing and Publishing full-time (More than a year)

Pros

For those desperate to make money while holding an absence of morality this business offers some chance for adequate compensation if you don't mind "drinking the coolaid". The position also has some hope that in the process of working with other businesses you may find your self worth.

Cons

Unfortunately while the core of the business seems legitimate, and it is in some sense because ultimately business owners need help in exposing their business, the tactics the company ultimately forces you to engage in, in order to make the aggressive expectations they have, are extraordinarily unethical and border on criminal and predatory,

You are asked to blatantly deceive people, albeit in a "clever" way. There are a number of instances of credit card fraud that I became aware of whereby the company would trick the business owner into being charged for other services once they had the business owners credit card in file. A particular target for this is tech unaware old ladies.

Witnessing the fraud and deception of the company practices firsthand makes a conscientious employee very discouraged with the business world.

Advice to Management

Properly represent yourself to prospective employees. Admit that you rely on people who are not honest and don't feel a sense of obligation to other people. It's a take the money and run sales rep that you're looking for. Do not falsely represent your company and waste people's valuable time. Quit ripping off old ladies and people with language barriers. Quit stealing from people because you have their credit cards.

"Great Company for Personal & Professional Growth"

Current Employee - Inside Sales Acct Manager in DeKalb, IL
    Current Employee - Inside Sales Acct Manager in DeKalb, IL

I have been working at American Marketing and Publishing full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I've been working for AMP for three years and love it! I love how everyone is very encouraging and want to help you succeed. You can contact anyone in the company, even the CEO himself, for encouragement and advice. There is a lot of room for promotion within, and management has no problem being an example of great leadership and will help you get to that point in your own career. Our main customers are small, family-owned businesses, and I love hearing their stories of growth and success. It feels great knowing we provide affordable options for these businesses.

Cons

Sales requires a lot of mental strength. You will have not so great days and weeks, so it's really important to keep a positive attitude and push on, even when you don't feel like it.

Advice to Management

There's nothing in particular I can think of. I've had the same managers since starting and never had any problems.

"Hiring Manager"

Current Employee - Hiring Manager in DeKalb, IL
    Current Employee - Hiring Manager in DeKalb, IL

Pros

Great company culture and opportunity to grow and advance within the company.

Cons

It has a low base salary.

Advice to Management

Raise starting base salary to 30K and you may have a better chance at attracting better talent to work for your company.