American Marketing and Publishing Outside Sales Representative Reviews | Glassdoor

American Marketing and Publishing Outside Sales Representative Reviews

Updated April 13, 2017

Outside Sales Representative

2.7
Rating Trends Rating Trends
American Marketing and Publishing CEO Abram Andrzejewski
Abram Andrzejewski

Pros
  • Helping small business owners create success and hearing about it is so gratifying (in 35 reviews)

• It's a growing company that continues to be run like a small business (in 33 reviews)

Cons
  • Lots of your own gas and wear and tear (in 16 reviews)

• You will get rejected often by business owners and you need to know how to not take it personal and keep moving (in 31 reviews)

"You get what you give"

Former Employee - Outside Sales Representative in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Outside Sales Representative in Chicago, IL

I worked at American Marketing and Publishing full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Nice people, god product, free to set your plan in motion

Cons

It can be lonely and tiring at times, but it IS sales

Advice to Management

Let your thoroughbreds run

2. "Do not work here"

Current Employee - Outside Sales Representative in DeKalb, IL
    Current Employee - Outside Sales Representative in DeKalb, IL

I have been working at American Marketing and Publishing full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I got paid the last week and I did nothing.

Cons

If I could give this a 0 rating, I would. YOURE SELLING PHONEBOOKS! No one buys phonebooks anymore but they lead you to believe that everyone buys them.
    Training was 2 weeks for at least 10 hours a day with the expectation of going home and doing 3 hours of homework.
    Unrealistic expectations of how much to seek within first 2-3 weeks of job.
    Some employees were fired writhing 2 weeks for underperforming while others got 2 months.
    100% turnover rate within 2 months in a training class of 16.
    They will ask you to resign instead of firing you.
    They do not help you learn your territory and what products cost what.
    Expected to work more than 40 hours with no overtime pay and expected to have "working lunches" or eat while driving.
    Extremely pushy sales people and offensive towards customers. The town I was in HATED the previous sales person going as far as calling the police on her for refusing to leave their business (that rep was a supervisor FYI)
    Their whole company is a scam, they do not tell customers that they aren't allowed to cancel contracts and advise you not to tell them that.
    You WILL be threatened and yelled at by potential customers.
    You WILL Abe driving at least 100 miles a day.
    You will spend all your time in the car.
    You are expected to use your own cell phone for lots of internet use and are not compensated.

Advice to Management

Learn how to train people and grow employees. Your belief system is everyone's replaceable and it doesn't matter but something is to be said when your company has such a high turnover rate.

"Entry level job"

Former Employee - Outside Sales Representative in Goshen, IN
    Former Employee - Outside Sales Representative in Goshen, IN

Pros

Potential for higher than normal income.

Cons

Long hours, vehicle wear and tear and hearing the word no.

"Great Product Sets, and Great Customers"

Former Employee - Outside Sales Representative in Indianapolis, IN
    Former Employee - Outside Sales Representative in Indianapolis, IN

I worked at American Marketing and Publishing full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The Company is growing and now offers 4 different products, not just print, to small and medium sized businesses. This is a pay-for-performance opportunity and if you choose to work hard, you WILL be rewarded. For those that do not follow the system at the amazing paid week of training *yes, it is difficult and long hours, but AMP will embed 19 years of growth into you, to ensure your success*, this will be a struggle. Great benefits, family-owned, open communication from top down, tons of recognition and a very rewarding career for upward mobility.

Cons

If you aren't willing to put in 45 hours a week, then this is not the right opportunity for you. To be successful in any sales job, you must plan and prepare, or you will inevitably fail. Finding the healthy balance of "time management" is difficult for many, and if you aren't used to outside sales, breath, relax, and rely on the system! It will all come together, over time! This is an entrepreneurial type of opportunity where you aren't 'micromanaged', but you must also know that the leadership team is ALWAYS around to answer questions, use them to be open and call them!!! They will also be in the car along-side you showing the work when you need help!

Advice to Management

Keep up the great work motivating your employees. This is tough work, and successful people love to hear the recognition-you all do great at this! Continue to hone in on development and the Company will continue to prosper and grow.

"Fantastic Opportunity for smiling, independent, solution based people!!"

Current Employee - Outside Sales Representative in Valparaiso, IN
    Current Employee - Outside Sales Representative in Valparaiso, IN

I have been working at American Marketing and Publishing full-time

Pros

You control your paycheck, period. Support and communication from leadership is top notch.

Cons

Rejection comes with the territory, but also is controllable with a smile, selling with ideas and following the system that has worked for 18 years.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you're doing!

"Outside Sales Representative"

Former Employee - Outside Sales Representative in Coralville, IA
    Former Employee - Outside Sales Representative in Coralville, IA

Pros

Amazing opportunity to make money in a fast-paced work environment. The management and fellow employees are so supportive a kind.

Cons

This type of work is not for everyone. Extremely long work days (must be in assigned territory by 830- generally 45-60 min away) and cannot leave until 7 most days. Selling print advertising is not easy. Most business owners do not want you wasting their time and will gladly tell you so. Some will curse, put you down, and even chase you out of their stores. Not a job for someone that takes things personally. Driving around in your car all day is extremely lonely and depressing. During my first week i drove over 600 miles for the company and received only $60 reimbursement for my car.

Advice to Management

Management was awesome. Super supportive and helpful. Let prospective employees know that this job is not for everyone.

8. "Sales Jobs are not for everyone."

Current Employee - Outside Sales Representative in Dowagiac, MI
    Current Employee - Outside Sales Representative in Dowagiac, MI

Pros

Great staff. Very supportive team and lots of communication. They provide you with a good amount of your sales leads and help you get started. Morning calls every day to help pep things up and daily bonuses and incentives.

Cons

Well if you have any creativity in you through it out the window. Being sales is so structured this jobs is not for everyone. The paperwork is extensive. The transaction back to the company are a little barbaric and

Advice to Management

Overall i would say that the management here was quite well. the only advice I may offer is to let salesman know that some small towns they will be working in will not be any great source of revenue.

9. "Fun Work Environment & Strong Sales Support"

Current Employee - Outside Sales Representative in South Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Outside Sales Representative in South Chicago, IL

Pros

American Marketing & Publishing is a really great company to work for because it's a family business. You can tell that a lot of effort went into setting up the company culture. It's a fun work environment with a strong sales structure and support system. Many small businesses try to run like a large corporation and end up with segmented departments that don't get along, hurting the overall success of the company. AMP is just the opposite. It's a growing company that continues to be run like a small business. There are three products that have been developed with the small business owner in mind. Upper management supports the sales team and the sales team, in turn, supports the local, small businesses. From the top down, it's a progressive work environment with a strong customer focus.

Cons

Working at American Marketing & Publishing requires a huge amount of sales materials. Daily prospecting is a very important part of working at AMP and keeping track of all of the materials can be a challenge. It would be great to streamline some of the materials into a digital format.

Advice to Management

Continue to seek out dynamic personalities who strive to develop their own talents while coaching others to be their best (Luke Wasowksi & Brian Franczak). Keep the focus on teamwork and the fundamentals, we all want to become the superstars and we can -together. Let's have some fun days, the contests are great, but how about a Jimmy Buffett day... I have a parrothead.. no?

"Just know what you're getting into."

Former Employee - Outside Sales Representative in DeKalb, IL
    Former Employee - Outside Sales Representative in DeKalb, IL

I worked at American Marketing and Publishing full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The people are funny and you have support when you reach out for it. They will help you if you are having problems or can't make a sale.

Cons

People will throw you out of their business and houses. You will be banned from stores in the towns you go to. People will attack you personally and you are expected to make a joke out of it and be comfortable being uncomfertable. You have to put 100+ miles on your car daily and they only give you 225 a month for car expenses. They track your phone and it kills your data. I went over my 10g plan in 5 days. They only give you 25 a month for phone expenses. They will also deduct your pay if you don't make quotas. You can literally end up owing the company money. They have about 300 sales people at any given time, and have training classes every week with 10-30 people. The turnover rate is huge. When I got out, there were only 3 people left from the 11 in my class. If you are thinking about taking an outside sales job, just make sure you know what your getting into.

Advice to Management

Give up print. Digital would make you so much more money.

"Scam, lies, and deceit"

Former Employee - Outside Sales Representative in Cleveland, OH
    Former Employee - Outside Sales Representative in Cleveland, OH

Pros

Training for print was very well done. Made a few friends I still keep in touch with. If you don't want to work in an office, trust me. You won't be.

Cons

Do not believe the raving reviews...good reviews are what this company sells to others. The last review i made got buried in days. I hung in there for about a month in an attempt to break a little more than even for my expenses for working for them. I don't know where to begin. First, training, although thorough, was long and terrible. Reimbursement for getting there was a joke especially because I drove from cleveland to chicago. Paid about $200 out of pocket. My territory was a joke. Barely any businesses, mostly from home. Expected to solicit, loiter, lie, scam, and deceit people into a signature. (Check out their complaints on the BBB website). I am not exaggerating when I say I was yelled at, laughed at for having a terrible "summer job", offered minimum wage jobs out of pity, had dogs let out on me, and had the cops threatened and ced multiple times. I would tell my manager and they would say "everyone has bad days, try again next week". You literally pay them to work for them between mileage and gas and deductions. I barely broke even in 3 paychecks. They pick favorites and if you're not one, good luck. They hang you out to dry and let you sink so they can take money from you. Everything they say is a lie. My morals are higher than lying to poor business owners. DON'T FALL INTO THEIR TRAP

Advice to Management

be honest, get in a real market for a good/service. Treat employees better. Stop scamming people so you can sleep better at night