American Marketing and Publishing Reviews

Updated Mar 13, 2020

3.5
American Marketing and Publishing CEO Abram Andrzejewski
Abram Andrzejewski
Pros
  • "Everyday we are relentlessly helping small business owners grow their business, which is such a rewarding feeling(in 49 reviews)

• "From the interview process, to an incredibly thorough training, their constant support to help every small business achieve success is remarkable(in 45 reviews)

Cons
  • "Working with small business owners, almost every position requires some level of communication with them(in 45 reviews)

• "You drive around the entire time which can cause wear and tear to your car(in 18 reviews)

1. "Almost perfect."

Current Employee - Customer Experience Specialist in DeKalb, IL

I have been working at American Marketing and Publishing full-time for less than a year

Pros

I've only been working for the company for a short time - but I fall in love with the office more every day. - The opportunities for upward mobility are amazing, and the company really pushes people to find positions best for their skills and needs. - The workers themselves are great, social, and always willing to help. I haven't had a single bad experience with a coworker yet. - Management is very understanding. Whether that comes to getting sick, bereavement, or anything of the sort - I've never felt scared talking to my managements about these things or sensitive topics. - Following this, the culture and workspace of the office is wonderful. Constantly uplifting and positive. Praise is given in public, and critique is given in private in a very productive way. While the work is usually very independent, asking for help or advice is HEAVILY encouraged. Do not be scared to ask questions here. - Working with small business owners. Having people be excited to answer calls, and knowing that you're helping them make money and be successful can be such a rewarding thing. Getting on a first-name basis with several companies and CEO's inherently makes you feel important and seen. - The meetings ( oddly enough . ) They're organized, concise, and FUN. The yearly, company-wide meeting is awesome. Being able to meet the people you email, call, or reference consistently over a meal and a show basically is great. Abe is awesome at recognizing everyone's hard work, and it's hard to feel 'invisible' in the company.

Cons

There aren't many, but the cons can definitely be off putting as a new employee. - From department to department, training varies a lot, and seems very dependent on the new employee. Training isn't a very official process, more just "watch, absorb, mimic". It feels less like you're being forged into a good worker, rather testing how well you learn and adapt. (Which some will excel at, and some will not.) - Communication, communication, communication. There are procedures in place, but the number of departments and their different expectations vary greatly, it's easy for things to become muddy and a round-robin of "well, it's X, or Y, or Z's responsibility." Sometimes it feels like the main location is one big grey area. - Very mentally and emotionally taxing. Working with small business owners, almost every position requires some level of communication with them. Naturally, some of them will be stressed, upset, or down-on-business. You WILL have someone be upset with you directly just as a representative of AMP for any reason. If you're extremely soft and cannot handle a hard conversation every once in a while... this may not be for you.

Continue reading

"Not your best marketing career option..."

Former Employee - Outside Sales Representative

I worked at American Marketing and Publishing full-time for less than a year

Pros

Colleagues were super nice, but it was next to impossible to sell yellow page ads in a digitized market.

Cons

I was hired on the pretense of selling optima, however, it was not disclosed until the week-long training that I had to work my way up to selling products that I believed in.

3. "Amazing opportunities and lost of rewards for your hard work"

Current Employee - Senior Sales Representative in DeKalb, IL

Pros

It's a great place to work. There's a lot of training the first 3 months but after that you'll get the hang of it and it's just another sport to be honest if you compare it to any other job. It takes practice, trial and error, and some failures but you learn from them and get stronger in sales.

Cons

I should've started earlier or found out about them a lot earlier but everything is in due time

"Horrible experience"

1.0

I worked at American Marketing and Publishing full-time for less than a year

Pros

They get your hopes up and make it sound like a dream job during training

Cons

If you have any questions don’t bother asking. Management won’t return your phone call and if they do answer your call they won’t have the answer either. They will tell you that they’ll call you right back and never will. It happened to me more than once. They set you up for failure.

Continue reading

"Great company to work for!!"

Current Employee - Senior Digital Marketing Specialist

Pros

The company is great. The people are great. They give you the training and tools that you need to get your job done. There is a support system in place to help you. The pay can be AMAZING if you do well. The CEO is reachable and so is top management, and they do a very good job of making it feel family oriented. You control your day, and you set your own schedule. You have the biggest influence on how much you can earn. There is huge potential for moving up, and they only promote from within.

Cons

This is not a job for most people. B2B sales is a different animal, and a lot of people don't make it. If you follow the training and use their system, you will see success, but it is VERY discouraging in the beginning. You are alone in your sales field most days, but help is literally just a phone call or email away. The pace you need to work at to achieve success can seem frenzied and/or impossible in the beginning, but it gets easier. Pay doesn't reflect the amount of time you spend working (and especially prepping) in the beginning, but it's unrealistic to expect a company to invest heavily in a new employee. You have to work long hours in your first few months and there is a lot of wear and tear on your vehicle, which you get reimbursed for.

"Lessons learned"

Former Employee - Outside Sales Representative in DeKalb, IL

I worked at American Marketing and Publishing full-time for less than a year

Pros

Decent salary pay and tons of documented procedures for how to make it into the company for the long haul.

Cons

Requirement of 3 new print customers within the first 3 weeks or the fate is termination. Class of 8 in training only 5 passed and 4 fired at end of 3 weeks. Lots of conflicting information given during training class and the one day field training. One week of training in DeKalb IL was in the basement of an old building with broken bathroom doors and a trainer that teaches military style. Being yelled at and told not to ask questions is not a way to effectively get peopled to enthusiastically sustain good habits.

"Great company"

4.0
    Former Employee - Community Relations Representative in Valparaiso, IN

I worked at American Marketing and Publishing full-time for less than a year

Pros

Awesome training & great people to work with

Cons

You're alone daily & need to be self modmotivated

"Outside Sales Rep"

I worked at American Marketing and Publishing full-time

Pros

Great products, great co-workers. The owner is genuinely involved with the company and with the employees; he and his wife do every thing possible to try and help everyone succeed.

Cons

The process is not focused on longevity of the employee. You begin your career passing a test of memorizing a painfully long and dry script, you are then given 1 day of classroom training that should be several days; followed by 1 day in the field, after that you are on your own. There is a major sink or swim mentality and generic responses that are given for issues and situations that arise. Outside sales is not for the weak or the thin skinned, however management needs to be adequately equipped to coach, motivate and mentor reps to properly get them through their struggles. The biggest problem I have found with this company is that the management is not trained on how to properly manage outside sales reps, they are just taught to give generic responses that may or may not relate to a situation.

"Not recommended"

1.0
    Current Employee - Outside Sales Representative

Pros

Great product and knowledge

Cons

Very little training. They try and teach you to make business owners so uncomfortable they make impulse decisions

"Inside Sales Schaumburg, IL"

Current Employee - Assistant District Manager in Schaumburg, IL

I have been working at American Marketing and Publishing full-time for more than a year

Pros

I enjoy working at American Marketing & Publishing for a number of reasons; first and foremost, as a young professional, the opportunity for growth has caught my attention. AMP consists only of internally promoted managers! The leadership and development available to all employees is outstanding. I would also like to note the company culture and environment. It is not only welcoming and successful, but also fun and competitive! I am constantly being pushed to better myself and challenged to grow. I do not have enough good things to say! The final pros that I feel are note worthy are: 3 weeks of PTO after your first 6 months of employment + 9 holidays and countless contests to earn more time off, the freedom to manage your own daily schedule and responsibilities, and the onsite managers and trainers always available for additional coaching!

Cons

The Schaumburg office is primarily sales oriented with only a few administrative positions available.

Found 431 reviews