American Marketing and Publishing Reviews | Glassdoor

3.7
American Marketing and Publishing CEO Abram Andrzejewski
Abram Andrzejewski

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • I love that I get the chance to work with small business owners, and help keep their phones ringing (in 43 reviews)

• Everyday we are relentlessly helping small business owners grow their business, which is such a rewarding feeling (in 41 reviews)

Cons
  • You drive around the entire time which can cause wear and tear to your car (in 18 reviews)

• Most small business owners are NOT excited about advertising (any advertising from any company) (in 38 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Why AMP has changed my life"

Current Employee - Assistant District Manager in Madison, WI
    Current Employee - Assistant District Manager in Madison, WI

I have been working at American Marketing and Publishing full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I have honestly never worked for a more caring, positive, motivating company, who truly cares about their employees and small business owners that we help. I love the positive reinforcements I receive daily from my team and upper management. The owner Abe is extremely involved with helping us and leaves us motivating voicemails daily. One of his main concerns, is that his employees are being relentlessly helpful to every single business owner we meet. Abe has a big heart and since he can't be in a million places at once helping all the business owners we help, he wants to at least make sure he has a good hearted staff and trains them with the same integrity and passion he has. For me, getting to meet new people daily and help them grow their business is such a blessing. My customers are the best and I love knowing I can help them succeed. In addition to this job having a well-rounded moral setting and feeling of accomplishment, I also must add, I feel very fairly compensated for my work. I work hard and I get paid well for it. This job has definitely given me the financial freedom I've been looking for and I love that the harder I work, the more I get paid. My VP Melinda and I go over my goals together monthly and she helps me stay on track to reach them. I am able to afford things that I could not in the past and I am so lucky that I have a job where the hard work pays off and it feels great knowing how my hard work helped others as well as my family.

Cons

You will get rejected often by business owners and you need to know how to not take it personal and keep moving. Once you master this you will realize "NO" isn't such a bad word anymore.
    I really don't have any other cons in my mind, so I will just leave you with this... this is a Preformance paid job. If you stay positive, keep going and follow the tips to success that AMP gives you, you will succeed! But if you are too afraid to get out of your car and talk to business owners, or are afraid of rejection, then this job is not for you. It can appear as a con when you don't have the right mindset for it.

Advice to Management

My advice to management is to keep up the good work! Your motivation daily and positive reinforcement means the world when we are out in the field hearing "NO" in a day. The recognition goes a long way and I love hearing and seeing that even our highest up management CMC & Abe are paying attention to our work as individuals and giving us congratulatory calls! Makes me feel appreciated and good about what I do :)

2. "Da business"

Current Employee - Sales Representative in Buffalo Grove, IL
    Current Employee - Sales Representative in Buffalo Grove, IL

Pros

Great business moto but needs a car program

Cons

Too much driving with little reimbursement

3. "Inside Sales Territory Closer"

Current Employee - Inside Sales Representative in DeKalb, IL
    Current Employee - Inside Sales Representative in DeKalb, IL

I have been working at American Marketing and Publishing full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I love that I get the chance to work with small business owners, and help keep their phones ringing. I feel that the products we sell are cost-effective for our customers, and effective. I get to be creative and find things about each business that I work with that can entice the kinds of customers that they want. In regards to the company, I love that our sales team works together as a team unit. If one person is having a bad day or struggling with any part of the job, the managers are quick to jump on the problem and pull you out of any rut you are in. I also like that since I am in inside sales, I work 8-5, Monday through Friday, which leaves me with a good work/life balance. I love the daily motivational voicemails left by the CEO, and the training calls that you can tune into each morning. I like that the company is evolving, and constantly working on striving for more, and improving inefficiencies along the way. I feel like I'm part of something bigger with this career.

Cons

You are on the phone all day, so it may be a hard transition if you are coming from an environment where you are constantly moving. You are going to get rejected a lot. It's part of the game, so you have to make a conscious effort to not take it personally and keep moving. Since inside sales does work in close quarters, it can be easy to compare yourself to other reps on the team, so you'll also have to be conscious of that as well.

Advice to Management

No qualms.

4. "Why to choose AMP"

Current Employee - Senior Sales Representative in Knoxville, IA
    Current Employee - Senior Sales Representative in Knoxville, IA

I have been working at American Marketing and Publishing full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I have been working for AMP for a little over 2 months now, and within that time I have already been promoted, been able to pay off substantial credit card debt, and most importantly have an amazing work life balance. (I am just one of MANY who has this similar experience!!) American Marketing and Publishing without a doubt provides employees with the necessary tools needed to succeed everyday in the sales field. The leadership team goes above and beyond when it comes to supporting their teams, and values the hard work of each team member everyday. The products we sell and the work we do matters! Everyday we are relentlessly helping small business owners grow their business, which is such a rewarding feeling. If you are looking for a company where you can have continuous personal and proffessional growth and career opportunities, a company that values each employee and strives to see each one succeed, and of course, if you are looking for your hardwork to pay off with a growing bank account, lucrative prizes, and all-inclusive trips than AMP is where you want to be.

Cons

I can see some people would think hearing NO multiple times a day would be a con. At AMP we push for a NO with every customer. We want to make sure each potential customer has a well informed no about our product. I get more customers that say no than ones who say yes. As long as one doesn't take the no's personal and can appreciate the small wins and big wins every day than the no's really aren't that bad! Being able to handle rejections is a very key element in being successful here at AMP.

Advice to Management

My advice to management is, DON'T change a thing! The support and guidence doesn't go un noticed! I have never felt so valued any where else. I am beyond excited to continue to grow and develop personally and proffessionally at the hands of the leadership team here at AMP!

5. "Awesome Company, Unlimited Success!"

Current Employee - Senior Sales Account Manager
    Current Employee - Senior Sales Account Manager

Pros

My grandma always told me you can’t “love” something unless it’s a person; that you “like” something. No one wants to tell their grandma that she are wrong, but I love my job and I love working for American Marketing & Publishing. This is not your typical office job that you see on TV, or imagine sitting in your college classroom. Working at AMP has changed my life. AMP has shown me my potential as a sales person, and also my potential to reach goals that I never thought I could before. The environment is extremely uplifting and encouraging, which is so important to continue to stay motivated and constantly have that drive be better! I never thought I would be in sales, but with the great training and coaching that AMP offers, I have been set up for success and continually have the opportunity to learn something new every day. I have a new level of confidence inside and outside of work, and there is nothing like helping small businesses reach their goals, while you’re reaching your own!

Cons

I don't have any complaints.

6. "An amazing opportunity!"

Current Employee - Assistant District Manager in Green Bay, WI
    Current Employee - Assistant District Manager in Green Bay, WI

Pros

After more than 13 years in outside sales, it is so refreshing to work for a company that honestly cares about both their employees and the small business owners they help everyday. The constant positive feedback and recognition is absolutely motivating for continued personal growth and development within the company. I love that everyone in a management position started at AMP doin the work they now manage. This allows maximum benefits from coaching and field advise. Working in an environment that thrives on honesty, integrity and dedication to success has helped me move up in my career and obtain many of my personal work goals. I really feel a great sense of accomplishment with the work I do. With uncapped earning potention, the harder I work and the more people I help, the grater my paycheck.

Cons

This is a fast paced work environment where you get a lot of rejection. This position requires a ton of grit and determination to succeed and therefor is not for everyone. You work independently in your territory and must be motivated and goal oriented. For me this isn’t a con at all, but does require a lot of discipline.
    Many aspects of this job help you grow as a person and a sales consultant. If you are willing to work hard and act with integrity, there really aren’t any other cons that I can see.

Advice to Management

Honestly the only advise I can give to management is to continue doing what has worked for the last 20 years. The level of involvement from Abe, Chad, Melinda and everyone in management is second to none. Everyone is help to the same accountability which helps reps attain their goals when the goals are clear and transparent. And again, the daily encouragement and recognition let’s you feel appreciated for the hard work you’ve put in. I am so glad to have the opportunity to part of such an amazing company!

7. "Sales"

I have been working at American Marketing and Publishing full-time

Pros

Sales is challenging, thus enabling personal growth. Sales is rewarding, thus enabling personal growth. Sales is both challenging and rewarding. The work at AMP matters. The products sold work. Small business owners are the soil of the earth and backbone of our economy. We help keeps businesses keep going and growing by delivering calls and customers. Selling local advertising also facilitates local commerce as our print and digital mediums connect local buyers to local sellers.

The work is fun and you learn a lot about business working for smart, successful small business owners. No day is the same. When you're well planned and on offense, the day flies by. You develop highly transferable skills that enable upward mobility within the company or even outside of day-to-day work.

AMP is a place for career advancement - over 40 promotions into senior sales rep and leadership roles throughout the business in 2017. It's place for increased earnings year-over-year as you advance and choose to continue to improve.

AMP can and will take professionals with limited or no "sales experience" and pull out the inner salesperson in you. The lion's share of the top performing sales professionals have no sales background prior to joining the company. Some do, those skills will transfer, but AMP will teach you how to influence thinking and to sell.

Cons

Our work is empowering. We are in control. It won't always feel like that, even to the best, but the core components of sustained success are within our own span of influence. You have to be sharp, everyday. You have to be enthusiastic, everyday. You have to be disciplined, everyday. You have to be influential and inspirational, everyday. Most small business owners are NOT excited about advertising (any advertising from any company). It's not that they don't think it's a good idea, usually it's more that it's not something they feel they need to do the day you walk through their door. The point of this paragraph, the work is never easy and it won't get easier. In order to sustain success, it requires a commitment to consistently always getting better.

Advice to Management

Be proud. Be humble. Listen. Stay disciplined. Keep building!

"Sales Representative"

I worked at American Marketing and Publishing full-time

Pros

Good products that are relatively easy to understand, freedom to plan your own day and lots of autonomy. My direct supervisor was very responsive when I had questions. They also seemed to have a good career track if you could hang in there.

Cons

Very low base salary, especially when you consider the hours they require you to work. No lead generation. Very little investment in employees. High turnover.

Advice to Management

It became apparent to me that their business model for sales reps was to constantly be hiring because the majority wouldn't stick. It's probably a profitable model, but you won't get quality reps that way.

9. "Fully realize what you’re getting yourself into"

Former Employee - Inside Sales Representative in DeKalb, IL

I worked at American Marketing and Publishing full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Base compensation and incentives are good for sales workers... if the standard of living in your territory is low. Benefits aren’t too bad either. But that’s about it.

Cons

You’re selling only one product. Plain and simple: print ads in local phone books. If you’re working inside sales, be aware that you are NOT selling renewals but cross selling into different towns. Don’t be fooled if you can’t handle working in sales.

Advice to Management

Be upfront about the job. Stop the week long motivational training and actually explain what it is they’re selling.

"Start Sales Position"

Former Employee - Inside Sales Representative in DeKalb, IL

I worked at American Marketing and Publishing full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Teaches the aggressive motivational fundamentals for anyone who has never been in sales. Decent pay for the position and a good learning experience.

Cons

Far too much emotional manipulation. Many business owners feel they get lied to and many of them do get lied to by confused representatives from the company who are anxiety ridden for sales. Reps are given the hard focus to overcome fear of presenting and knocking on doors but very little focus in the product, integrity, and trust on the solid development of a long-standing business relationship. This is a revolving door company. There are no consistent rules for all of the sales representatives and outcomes change based on individual managers, each individual circumstance, each individual employee, and each individual customer. Sometimes discounts are given to customers for a color ad as low as $50.00 when they retail for $3,500. This is approved for one rep but not approved for by another rep. Other times no discounts are allowed and the rep is reprimanded. Communication is inconsistent and oftentimes changes in the middle of a crucial relationship with the client. AMP lacks consistency in relationships. This develops little to no trust and forces the rep to sell through in-the-moment force and not long-term trust. Retention is not a priority by the company but rather creating an aggressive person is. This mentality leads to many reps resort to lying or using unhealthy selling tactics just to hit goals so they can make money.

Advice to Management

Instill more consistent logic across the company. Trust that if you follow your heart with no fear while using integrity that the money will follow the heart. Do exactly what you tell your employees that you will be doing and do this always and consistently. Follow through and create strong trust with your employees and do not place the entire focus only on motivation. Crucial companywide decisions are made based on an emotional decision based on that moment, and that manager, only and not a logical decision based on trusting a successful End Result for the success of the unit as a whole. Create solid company-wide rules and discipline consistently and teach systems that are designed to instill trust with the client. Trust that success is yours and it will be. If this is achieved, negative emotional manipulation won't be necessary to achieve the income desired.