American Marketing and Publishing Reviews | Glassdoor

1.0
American Marketing and Publishing CEO Abram Andrzejewski
Abram Andrzejewski

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Helping small business owners create success and hearing about it is so gratifying (in 37 reviews)

• It's a growing company that continues to be run like a small business (in 35 reviews)

Cons
  • Lots of your own gas and wear and tear (in 16 reviews)

• You will get rejected often by business owners and you need to know how to not take it personal and keep moving (in 31 reviews)

"Liars"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Milwaukee, WI
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Milwaukee, WI

I worked at American Marketing and Publishing full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I worked less than 1 day when I realized they lied about pay and hours

After I quit I did get a call back from the COO asking about my concerns.

Cons

The sales scripts are written by someone who has never done sales, its apparent.
    The supervisors are rude to customers, mainly because they don't know how to sell properly.

They lied about hours, promising 8:30-5 hours. I found out there were evenings and weekends required.

They lied about pay. Telling me average first year reps make 80k. It's closer to 50k.

Wouldn't trust the Milwaukee supervisors.

Advice to Management

Fire sale in Milwaukee. Get rid of your supervisors and start over with people who have had legitimate sales training.

"Do not work here"

Current Employee - Outside Sales Representative in DeKalb, IL
    Current Employee - Outside Sales Representative in DeKalb, IL

I have been working at American Marketing and Publishing full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I got paid the last week and I did nothing.

Cons

If I could give this a 0 rating, I would. YOURE SELLING PHONEBOOKS! No one buys phonebooks anymore but they lead you to believe that everyone buys them.
    Training was 2 weeks for at least 10 hours a day with the expectation of going home and doing 3 hours of homework.
    Unrealistic expectations of how much to seek within first 2-3 weeks of job.
    Some employees were fired writhing 2 weeks for underperforming while others got 2 months.
    100% turnover rate within 2 months in a training class of 16.
    They will ask you to resign instead of firing you.
    They do not help you learn your territory and what products cost what.
    Expected to work more than 40 hours with no overtime pay and expected to have "working lunches" or eat while driving.
    Extremely pushy sales people and offensive towards customers. The town I was in HATED the previous sales person going as far as calling the police on her for refusing to leave their business (that rep was a supervisor FYI)
    Their whole company is a scam, they do not tell customers that they aren't allowed to cancel contracts and advise you not to tell them that.
    You WILL be threatened and yelled at by potential customers.
    You WILL Abe driving at least 100 miles a day.
    You will spend all your time in the car.
    You are expected to use your own cell phone for lots of internet use and are not compensated.

Advice to Management

Learn how to train people and grow employees. Your belief system is everyone's replaceable and it doesn't matter but something is to be said when your company has such a high turnover rate.

"Impossible to Advance"

Former Employee - Account Manager in DeKalb, IL
    Former Employee - Account Manager in DeKalb, IL

I worked at American Marketing and Publishing full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Dedicated and friendly sales training.

Cons

Low salary, All large accounts and potential large accounts are given to vetted employees. Little chance of advancing in the company. Promoting outside sales efforts across a large territory with your OWN vehicle which you CANT expense.

May 9, 2017 – Recruiting

We appreciate the feedback and compliments relative to our sales training. We are disappointed that you perceived there to be little chance of advancement. We have prided ourselves on promoting... More

"Wouldn't recommend"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in DeKalb, IL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in DeKalb, IL

I worked at American Marketing and Publishing (Less than a year)

Pros

Extensive training. Good if you prefer not to be confined to an office.

Cons

Much wear and tear on vehicle. Too much turnover with employees. No work and personal life balance. Almost cult like expectations of employees.

Advice to Management

None

May 9, 2017 – Recruiting

We appreciate the compliments relative to our training. It’s a part of the business we’re never completely satisfied with and proudly upgrade every year!

Regarding your feedback that led to a... More

"Sales rep"

Former Employee - Sales Representative in Milwaukee, WI
    Former Employee - Sales Representative in Milwaukee, WI

I worked at American Marketing and Publishing full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Not trying to be pessimistic, but none to speak of. If you can manage to blindly BS yourself into believing what you're selling, you might just fit right in.

Cons

Let me give you the basic run down of how AMP operates, they are constantly hiring new reps, there are training classes every week. Most reps go crazy and quit within the first few weeks. You'll go to your market and pay for a few months of your salary within 2 weeks. If you can hit a couple thousand in sales (very easy based on renewals) you have now paid for your training and your paycheck for the company. You were a success to them, you're making them money. They will screw you on commission, ask you to work later, and work weekends. If you quit at this point, no big deal, they've probably hired and trained some other poor sap who will take over and get the same treatment. Shady business practices, no work life balance, unrealistic market goals. The price for print advertising is severely overpriced, even if you claim to be "15x less than the huge regional directories". The Optima product is a joke, it would take about 2 hours to "professionally claim" yourself across search engines. AMP charges between $685 and $1200, completely taking advantage of business owners who are not tech savvy. I can't morally justify convincing a small business owner (who might be scraping by) that a $1000 check for this service is a good decision when it's something he could do for himself with about an hour of his time. 95% of business owners know that it is a terrible product and company if they do any research. AMP makes their money by cashing in on the 5% of business owners who don't bother to do any research on the state of advertising in 2017. Please do not waste your time with this company.

Advice to Management

Be honest with your employees about the ungodly turnover rate. Bring down the price of print advertising or go completely digital. You are NOT helping local communities, you are siphoning money out of their communities and using anecdotal evidence to motivate your salesmen that they're really helping people.

Mar 14, 2017 – Recruiting

This is a painful review for us to read. We do take your feedback seriously and don’t think that your experience was representative. In any good direct sales job, there’s going to be turnover among... More

"Discouraging"

Former Employee - Digital Sales Representative
    Former Employee - Digital Sales Representative

I worked at American Marketing and Publishing full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Hmm, I can't seem to think of any, pls heed the reviews.

Cons

There were 6 in our training class, one quit during training, 3 quit/let go within two weeks because not enough sales (what did they expect), the others feared for their positions constantly, turnover is unbelievable.

Advice to Management

Just vet your interviewees more, why hire 100 people when 2 are going to stay. When you could just spend more time searching for people who will actually succeed at the position. Be honest, sales averages/expectations are so skewed...if some make 25,000 and a few make 100,000, they say most make 50,000. It's a horrible lie.

Mar 7, 2017 – Recruiting

"Sales"

Former Employee - Sales Representative in Indianapolis, IN
    Former Employee - Sales Representative in Indianapolis, IN

I worked at American Marketing and Publishing full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The training in DeKalb for a week was actually pretty good and our trainer, Chad, was an awesome guy who I actually learned a lot from. The majority of other people in my sales training class were also recent college grads that I still keep in touch with.

Cons

I was thrown into a territory following sales training with literally 0% opportunity to succeed. Every singe business I visited had been harassed multiple multiple times by sellers before me who quickly realized how awful of an industry this is and quit. I literally had a few business owners threaten to call the cops on me. The amount of miles/wear and tear you put on your car isn't worth it at all. Oh and "golden hours" are the most ridiculous concept ever. Being required to knock on home doors at 6:00pm while families are eating dinner was embarrassing and again I had people threaten to call the cops if I didn't leave them alone. I wouldn't recommend working here to my worst enemy.

Advice to Management

I had ZERO communication with my manager. I actually found a local business that was interested in buying one of the covers and I was immediately told I couldn't sell it because my manager wanted to sell it. Print is a DEAD industry and after no guidance or communication from upper management I quit after 1 month.

"Nice Scam!"

Former Employee - Sales Representative in DeKalb, IL
    Former Employee - Sales Representative in DeKalb, IL

I worked at American Marketing and Publishing full-time (More than a year)

Pros

For those desperate to make money while holding an absence of morality this business offers some chance for adequate compensation if you don't mind "drinking the coolaid". The position also has some hope that in the process of working with other businesses you may find your self worth.

Cons

Unfortunately while the core of the business seems legitimate, and it is in some sense because ultimately business owners need help in exposing their business, the tactics the company ultimately forces you to engage in, in order to make the aggressive expectations they have, are extraordinarily unethical and border on criminal and predatory,

You are asked to blatantly deceive people, albeit in a "clever" way. There are a number of instances of credit card fraud that I became aware of whereby the company would trick the business owner into being charged for other services once they had the business owners credit card in file. A particular target for this is tech unaware old ladies.

Witnessing the fraud and deception of the company practices firsthand makes a conscientious employee very discouraged with the business world.

Advice to Management

Properly represent yourself to prospective employees. Admit that you rely on people who are not honest and don't feel a sense of obligation to other people. It's a take the money and run sales rep that you're looking for. Do not falsely represent your company and waste people's valuable time. Quit ripping off old ladies and people with language barriers. Quit stealing from people because you have their credit cards.

"Dead End."

Pros

If you are able to earn commission. Money can be very well.

Cons

Endless hours of planning.
    Management will pressure you to quit before terminating you.

Advice to Management

Stop lying to employees about how easy job is. No one uses yellow pages anymore.

"Fast Track to Depression"

I worked at American Marketing and Publishing full-time

Pros

Work your own hours
    Meet some cool people
    My manager was pretty cool but I've heard others aren't

Cons

Everything you've already read on here is true. Really thought I had found a great place to work. It turned out to be a fast track to depression.

Advice to Management

My manager was great. Always willing to help however you can only do so much while trying to sell phone books