American Medical Accounting & Consulting Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated March 7, 2017

1.7
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Linda L. Lively

1. "AMAC is a great place to build a career and work with some amazing people."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Marietta, GA

I have been working at American Medical Accounting & Consulting full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

I have worked with AMAC for 13 years. Upper and middle level managers are very compassionate and very willing to mentor. Compared to AT&T or Wells Fargo, AMAC is a small company, but that's one of the things I like most about it. Everyone at the company has a critical role in moving the company forward. Every role is important and every person is important. Healthcare is not a field for everyone, but if you are someone who works hard, is confident in your abilities/strengths and you are looking for a career, you should send your resume to AMAC. Benefits are great including a very competitive 401K. I've never had a problem getting time off approved but I also work very hard for the company and keep their interests in my focus too.

Cons

Sometimes it's hard to find good people. There are folks that claim to have certain skills and abilities but then are unable to perform. In a small company, those folks create a lot of work and frustration for everyone else.

Advice to Management

Keep up the hard work. You can't survive for 31 years in this industry without having a great product and great management. The future is definitely optimistic. Not only did you survive the crazy last few years, you grew! Positions were not eliminated. That's awesome!!!! Thank you for taking care of your employees!

"Disrespectful, no work-life balance and hostile work environment."

Current Employee - Administrative in Marietta, GA
    Current Employee - Administrative in Marietta, GA

I have been working at American Medical Accounting & Consulting full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Reasonable pay, and the team of employees are for the most part great!

Cons

Upper management, there is not a strong amount of boundaries within this workplace. I have never heard so many curse words dropped in a quasi-professional work environment.

Advice to Management

None.

"I feel it is a fair and good company to work for"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Marietta, GA

I have been working at American Medical Accounting & Consulting full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Employees have a great amount of information at their finger tips to learn the specialty. If you are skilled at what you do you are rewarded for that. Very fair and good place to work. When you schedule a vacation they are accomodating. They realize that their employees are an asset to their company

Cons

I do not have any negative comments regarding the company at this time

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work! You have been in business for 30 years for a reason!

"The Chaos this company company function under is ridiculous!"

Former Employee - Healthcare in Marietta, GA
    Former Employee - Healthcare in Marietta, GA

I worked at American Medical Accounting & Consulting full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Working with the other employees

Cons

This company does not support or take care of their employees. They constantly run positions in local job searches to replace people. They do not stand by their word and do not take advantage of mentoring their employees. They even foster an environment that encourages back biting and fighting amongst the employees. The VP of the company behaves like a 4 year old most of the time. The time they require the salary employees to work is crazy 9-10 hours a day and not because of the work load, it is because they are so disfunctional. You can work on a project that you have been given no direction and have to guess what they are looking for and of course it is not right!!! They are losing customers due to the way the run the business. Beware of this company the constant revolving door should give you an idea how they run their business

Advice to Management

They would not listen, they have been in business for 30 years!

"Unimaginable....if your looking for long term employment, this company is company is not for you!"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Marietta, GA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Marietta, GA

I worked at American Medical Accounting & Consulting full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Some friendly co-workers (unfortunately the friendly ones don't last long), networking with fellow co-workers regarding companies hiring, 401K with employer matching

Cons

Misleading information in the interview process, Crisis managed, not pro-active with anything, extremely poor employee retention, always understaffed, no training, cost for health insurance is outrageous and unaffordable, toxic atmosphere due to the way they treat their employees, extremely unorganized throughout the company, you must be able to "Miracle" task not "multi-task", projects are assigned as priorities but before you complete the one assigned you will be given 10 more that are a priority as well with impossible deadlines, accuracy is not a priority when project is assigned but once you rush through it quickly and bust out a huge quantity at their demand then they scold you if any errors were made and put something in your employee file (there is not time to do it quickly and then recheck for accuracy), this is not just accounting....it is Forensic Accounting, they tell clients that their employees are "Stupid", you will be hollered at and talked down to, no compassion in an emergency (they just want to know what time you will be back in that day), PTO is earned but requests to use it are never approved in a timely manner if at all (most of the time you are told it will be approved if all the work is caught up which is never), it is impossible to make arrangements for vacation, there have been times where no one was allowed for 3 months at a time to even use their PTO, employees have lost their PTO that they accrued even though they requested time off and it was never approved, you do not get paid for lost PTO even if you were never given the opportunity to take it, lots of dishonesty and broken promises, reviews are never done on time, very high stress, they will write you up even though you must rely on other departments to meet your goals, if there is a problem with another employee not doing their job (that affects your goals) in a timely manner it falls on deaf ears and YOU will be wrote up.

Advice to Management

It takes money to make money, hire enough staff to complete the work and then maybe the employee's can work proactively, employee retention is a combination of several things including being honest and straight forward, allowing employees to use their PTO they accrued, take the time to do each employee's job for just one day and see how productive you are, treat your employee's with respect as people and do not treat them as though you are better than them....I mean they are there working hard for YOU! I agree 100% that you should work on your lack of management and human interaction skills!

"Worst place to work EVER!!!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Marietta, GA

I have been working at American Medical Accounting & Consulting full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Some of the fellow employees/location to me

Cons

Everything else...management SUX; there are no perks whatsoever; it's a paycheck for now but definitely NO FUTURE there....who'd want to stay they treat you like you're an idiot & nit pick you to death about the most trivial stuff...claim to offer benefits in the interview then you take the job & find out the HMO cost $500 a month just for YOU...wow that's a benefit???NOT!!! They offer no compassion in an emergency, they NEVER let you take your time off...always telling you "when you get caught up" yeah right! BEST of all to all new employees you're on a 6 month probation period & don't get paid for any LEGAL HOLIDAYS; Wow LOVE THIS PLACE!!! NOT!!!

Advice to Management

Whats the point LLL says we're all idiots & she has 100's of resumes & everyone is replaceable....have funny honey with your revolving door of employees...it's definitely a reflection on YOUR LACK of management & HUMAN interaction skills....

"Horrible experience!"

Pros

No matter where you go from here, it can only be better.

Cons

OMG where does one begin to describe this nightmare? Its hard to believe that the treatment the owners inflict on their employees is actually within the law. Bullying, harassing, demoralizing, downright abusive....... Look at their website. After 33 years of "successful" business, their website only shows 2 employees aside from the 2 owners. That's because they are the only 2 who have lasted more than a year or so. There are almost 40 employees.

Aside from the mistreatment of employees and human beings in general, the owners believe they are above the law in their operations. i am aware of 2 employees who had their prepaid health insurance canceled retroactively upon their termination, ano did not get their premiums refunded. They will also discontinue your 401K so they don't have to match it, although this is illegal as only the employee can stop their own 401K contributions. And for years the company did not pay the minimally required amount for their share of health insurance payments for their EMPLOYER SPONSORED health insurance plan. And some me employees have been terminated for "knowing too much".

Advice to Management

Take your lithium.

8. "Don't do it to yourself"

I worked at American Medical Accounting & Consulting (More than a year)

Pros

It's a job that helps pay your bills.

Cons

I worked here for about 6 months. I got tired of the abuse, disrespect and being overworked. I watched individuals quit without even having another job because of the stress. The work that those women had was handed off to others without concern for their current workload. I watched someone else get fired for the mistakes of a "manager". I've seen individuals marked late because they had to wait for someone to come and open the building. Taking time off is a fantasy. My daughter broke her leg. I was told that I need to find someone else to go get her from school and take her to the hospital (what is this)? They also pick and choose who they allow to work from home. Some billers and A/R people are allowed to work from home. Others aren't. Its true!!! The good reviews were written by management. I was there when they were discussing it.

Advice to Management

Get new management. Find an outside company to run your business.

"Run for your life!"

Pros

The only pro to this company is that most of the co-workers are friendly.

Cons

Management is abusive to ALL of the employees. The two glowing reviews on here were written either by management themselves or employees who were intimidated into doing so. The owners are rude, insensitive, arrogant, and condescending. They act as though they themselves are the only intelligent life on earth. It is impossible to produce quality work with the volume of work they pile on everyone, and their expectations are unrealistic. They send an almost constant stream of rude or ranting emails all day every day, requiring you to do something, research something, or explain something that likely isn't your fault but you will be blamed for it. The full-time job of reading, acting on, and responding to emails makes it impossible to get your regular work done.

I think this company will survive in the short-term, but eventually their treatment of employees - and sometimes clients - will come back to bite them.

Advice to Management

Grow up and learn to relate to humans.