American Medical Association Reviews | Glassdoor

Create your profile to get personalized information

American Medical Association Reviews

Updated May 21, 2019

Found 150 reviews

3.2
American Medical Association CEO Dr. James L. Madara
Dr. James L. Madara
Pros
Cons
  • "No ethnicity in senior management(in 8 reviews)

• "The AMA is a sinking ship, from a membership standpoint and as a premiere non-profit(in 6 reviews)

"Nice place to work"

I worked at American Medical Association full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

It was a fine place to work. Good mission.

Cons

Nothing out of the ordinary - average amount of politics and back stabbing by management, other departments and team members.

American Medical Association2019-05-21

"Departments work in silos and your experience at the company depends on your manager"

Current Employee - Communications

I have been working at American Medical Association full-time

Pros

Great benefits, beautiful office, proud of their advocacy work.

Cons

Fragmented and passive aggressive communications, lack of access to leadership, lack of flexibility around working from home, extremely political & bureaucratic environment, trust no one

American Medical Association2019-05-06
  3. "Positive Change"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I have been working at American Medical Association full-time

Pros

New Leadership in the past 5 years; not the old AMA

Cons

If you don't like change.....may be hard if you have been at the AMA a while.

Advice to Management

Communicate, communicate.

American Medical Association2019-04-01

"Data Analyst"

Current Employee - Data Analyst in Chicago, IL

I have been working at American Medical Association full-time for less than a year

Pros

Work Life Balance is very good

Cons

Some strong personalities in coworkers.

American Medical Association2019-03-22

"Changing quickly and not always for the best"

Former Employee - Analyst

I worked at American Medical Association full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Great benefits, good people, willing to experiment, lots of resources.

Cons

Shifting priorities. In my unit understaffed, unrealistic lead times and expectations.

Advice to Management

If you cut lead times and double workload then things will fall through the cracks. Staff appropriately.

American Medical Association2019-03-20

"Overall good place to work"

I worked at American Medical Association full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

The people, for the most part, were great to work with.

Cons

Working remotely was frowned upon.

American Medical Association2019-02-28
  7. "I love my job!"

Current Employee - Manuscript Editor in Chicago, IL

I have been working at American Medical Association full-time for more than a year

Pros

I love this job. There is rigor, importance in what we do, a great amount of employment stability, a great benefits package, and wonderful people.

Cons

I have nothing to add as a con.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work.

American Medical Association2019-01-17

"It Is Unhealthy to Work at the AMA"

I worked at American Medical Association full-time

Pros

The name can be a good resume builder. The compensation and benefits are competitive.

Cons

It is a shame that the headquarters of this organization, with its scope and influence, is so grossly mismanaged. Do not be fooled by the AMA's mission. It is unhealthy to work for the AMA. During my time there both in an entry-level role and as a manager, I witnessed the following on a routine basis: - discrimination on the basis of sex (in the year following a new C-Suite executive's hiring, 15+ women in the... department quit, were let go or were demoted and several white men were promoted or hired in the same department); - discrimination on the basis of race (see the makeup of VP and C-Suite executives); - elitism; - bullying; - ignorance; and - cowardice from the top. The AMA membership base of physicians and medical students display the same behaviors. This makeup creates, without question, an adverse work environment for employees who do not accept this conduct. Should you accept a position here, do not stay long and expect an elementary Human Resources department, constant restructuring (I had 7 managers in 3 years), over-promising and back pedaling, and an old boy's club atmosphere. Folks who have been employed for 20+ years here are vilified yet rising stars are offered little opportunity to advance and no support when they do. This unusual combination creates a common, albeit backwards, managerial approach rooted in one's individual ego, not the needs of the organization. The ubiquitous distrust of the VP and C-Suite-level executives and the Board of Trustees existed since my first day. The AMA is a sinking ship, from a membership standpoint and as a premiere non-profit. Examine the job openings to understand where it is going awry: Chief Experience Officer, Talent Management Director, Tax Director... Take your talents to a specialty society or state medical society, not the AMA. Association work offers valuable experience for someone interested in management, business, finance, strategic marketing, and education. If you do work for the AMA, you will also learn to navigate the immoral realities of a desperate business. Expect to be disappointed.

American Medical Association2019-01-14

"Being a Student Intern/Paid Intern is overall an extremely positive experience."

I have been working at American Medical Association

Pros

Flexible schedule, great team members, meaningful work, opportunities for input

Cons

Not many opportunities for advancement

Advice to Management

Advocate for more entry level positions for interns to fulfill after their internship

American Medical Association2019-01-09

"Benefits good, work life balance bad"

Current Employee - Technical in Chicago, IL

I have been working at American Medical Association full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

I enjoy doing the job I'm doing (its changed several times). The benefits are good and current with today's standards with a little extras (half days summer days 2x, day off or 1/2 day early release before major holidays. Your co-workers are a joy to work with and learn from. I've mentored some of them.

Cons

Management provides no guidance and are very "whishy washy". There is only a WFH for those who do not work at work. No compensation for hours worked passed your schedule or weekend. Company is still operating in the 20th century, using old tech and move teams like "sliding puzzles" in order to create room for those who work from home.

Advice to Management

Take a survey of your real employees once a year, not just the drones.

American Medical Association2019-01-04