American Medical Response Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated September 19, 2017

Full-timePart-time

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • Low pay, considering the things you see as an EMT (in 31 reviews)

• Upper management ask for feedback but doesn't act or respond afterwards (in 18 reviews)

"Paramedic in Santa Cruz County"

Current Employee - Paramedic in Santa Cruz, CA
    Current Employee - Paramedic in Santa Cruz, CA

I have been working at American Medical Response full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

It is a small busy county, their is good and bad leadership like all AMR divisions. But overall since I came from another county its great comparatively. Leadership is laid back which is great and not so great at times.
    Most co-workers are awesome but we have a few duds. Pay is decent and you can live on it.
    Sheriffs are great and most local PD (depending on city) are good to work with.
    We are held to a higher standard of ALS care then FD's so I am proud to say the care level we provide is amazing compared to local departments.

It has its issues but at other divisions the supervisors never showed up to the ER with pizza when we were slammed, here they do. Some supervisors will even take a shift or two when we were short staffed so we could get a day off. So even with the negatives I would say this is a good spot to be, its has the potential to be great though.

Cons

-Leadership is laid back so that can be frustrating at times when things can take a day or two to get resolved.
    -Local FD's- most but not all their medics are not up to date with skills, overall knowledge or protocols. They can be an outright nightmare to run calls with at times.
    -Local hospitals have poorly trained staff, very few good MD's who are ER certified and MCN's who know when to turn patients away and when not to. When the good ones are on they take all patients and do not turn you away
    -FD politics and behavior sometimes makes you want to call the local paper and put them on blast. They will constantly withhold treatment till your arrival, or make the all too familiar statement of "I don't want any paperwork today"

Advice to Management

Corporate AMR management please give more decision making abilities to local leaders so its not a nightmare.
    Local AMR leaders call the local FD's out on their constant BS of poor performance and hostile attitudes. Publicly denounce their behavior if you have to, its the only way the horrible culture will stop. Even if it will cause issues, almost every crew from city, central, and south districts I would never want any of them showing up to treat my family.

"Fast Paced"

Former Employee - Emergency and Non-emergency Ambulance Dispatcher in Riverside, CA

I worked at American Medical Response full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Consistent Full time work
    decent benefits
    Opportunities to advance
    fast paced
    Good work environment
    12 hr shifts where I was, which meant you only worked 3 days one week and 4 days the next week. The gave a great deal of time to spend with my family. That was actually my favorite part of working for AMR.

Cons

Benefit premiums are far too expensive, tended to take over half of my income to pay the taxes and benefits.
    When in a supervisory position, they press you to discipline subordinates rather than simply speaking to them to resolve the issues of concern.
    No regular breaks. usually required to eat at your radio console

Advice to Management

Many opportunities to advance

3. "Up and Coming"

I have been working at American Medical Response part-time

Pros

AMR is breaking into the DC 911 system, has a full range of events, and a consistently busy IFT service that spans MD, DC, and VA. The units are mostly brand new or in good repair, and are well stocked.

Cons

This operation is dealing with the traditional growing pains of scaling up quickly.

4. "Good for experiance"

Pros

Laid back easy to work in environment

Cons

Many workers aren't professional in their appearance and attitudes

Advice to Management

Hire more professional people and offer a livable wage.

"The lowest of lows"

Former Employee - Paramedic in Phoenix, AZ
    Former Employee - Paramedic in Phoenix, AZ

I worked at American Medical Response full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I really do not see any.

Cons

After acquiring Rural Metro, the company did a poor job integrating its business units. Huge pay disparity between 2 business units working side to side was disastrous for morale. Company doesn't value its employees, but rather sees them as disposable. Scarce advancement possibilities for field employees. Poor employee retention. Horrendous working conditions (400,000+ miles on certain units and no AC in the Summer in AZ), sub-par patient care equipment, sub-par employee training. This company clearly doesn't value its employees and doesn't care much about the patients it transports. All that counts is profit.

Advice to Management

Value your employees.

6. "Honest review. Poor working conditions for field crews in the Central Az sector"

Current Employee - Paramedic
    Current Employee - Paramedic

I have been working at American Medical Response full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

- Benefits are good
    - Pay is average (but they are making hard cuts to OT) *See cons

Cons

1. Company does not care about their employees

2. Switched over to McKesson for their soft medical supplies. IV set ups fall apart in the middle of treatment, IV catheters are dull and cause unnecessary pain to the patient and an increase in missed/unsuccessful IV access, EKG pads that do not stick under good conditions and are useless with diaphoretic patients. Several complaints have been made to no avail.

3. inter-facility/911 back up ambulances are in horrible condition all the time. They have extremely high mileage, they are filthy, most have AC units that barely work, they ride rough and break down frequently.

4. Management that fails to manage effectively, micromanaging is not managing nor is lazy managing.

5. Very poor employee attitudes. 4 and 5 go hand in hand.

6. Excessive cutting back on full-time hours. Our ability to sustain our home life and pay bills greatly depend on our overtime in this field. We don't get paid what we should as it is. Take away our OT and the risk/liability/high expectations are not worth it. Less pay = less quality employees, high turn over and inability to handle call volumes.

-Losing all of our 911 contracts (nowhere for those people to go in the company) Senior crew members will push out a lot of new hires for positions.

- Inter-facility hours are being changed/reduced to 12 hour shifts 3/4 per pay period

Advice to Management

You have the potential to be a great company. Being one of the largest companies does not necessarily equate to good working conditions.

-Administration needs to be more directly present in what goes on in fleet and the condition of their ambulances. There are ambulances that desperately need to be retired. Units are being returned to the field that shouldn't be, many complaints not being addressed. If you don't care, how do you expect your field crews to care?

-Hire someone to clean ambulances and ensure that they are ready to go out in the field. Giving an oncoming crew or a crew that has to switch out due to mechanical issues (which is way too often), 20 minutes to load and go available when they have to clean up somebody else's mess is not effective and has never worked.

-Ensure that your management teams are doing their jobs and making sure our ambulances are up to par and clean at all times. There's too much laziness in the field management team which directly trickles down to the field crews.

-Use a soft equipment company that has quality equipment or at the very least don't buy the bottom line, cheapest supplies. What you are saving in money is causing problems in patient care

- Trust and listen to your crews. They know what is and isn't working

- Replace the old worn out units with the newer units that are sitting in the lot collecting dust. Fast track the newer ambulances into service.

-I put "no opinion" on my review for Ted Horne. The reason being is that I don't feel he has any idea of how bad the condition of our units and management team are. Maybe he should make an impromptu visit without giving a heads up to field admin or management. Your company and values are not being represented well.

7. "Money Over Patient Care"

Former Employee - EMT-B in Hartford, CT
    Former Employee - EMT-B in Hartford, CT

I worked at American Medical Response part-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Great co-workers who, for the most part, care about the communities they serve.

Cons

Everything is focused on the bottom dollar. They care very little about patient care, quality assurance, training and education, or keeping up with newest protocols/standards. Medics were lucky to have the baseline medicines required to be in the field or even a working monitor. For about 5-6 years, crews were sent on the streets without a radio, which was a huge personnel safety concern. Lastly, there was little-to-no community outreach or education programs. Instead of hiring staff to hang out at the hospitals and watch crews/pick-up transfers, send them to the communities to educate people about EMS, 9-1-1 use, etc.

Advice to Management

Reprioritize your focus. Patients and employees first, money last. You'll have more long-term success, lower attrition, and better patient satisfaction.

8. "Paramedic"

I worked at American Medical Response full-time

Pros

Was a great overall experience with other co-workers

Cons

Employees are just a number and aren't told the truth about their employment

9. "Just got Surface Pros!"

Current Employee - EMT-Basic in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - EMT-Basic in Seattle, WA

I have been working at American Medical Response full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Serious training program that allows you continued in field practice if you feel like you need more. Generally great people to work. There was a short time when I was solo because my partner went back to school and there was only 1/30 people I worked with in that time I didn't like. Fire is first on scene for almost everything so there is plenty you don't transport. Nap time. Love the uniforms. Plenty of time to study or do some other activity you enjoy between calls.

Cons

Some shifts are worked significantly (3x) as hard as others which also means particular shifts are nearly impossible to receive coverage for. Limited to 72 hours of sick pay per year regardless of how much you have accrued. PTO and sick pay accrual rate does not increase if you work overtime. Overtime is sporadic and difficult to get. Sometimes dealing with fire can be difficult.

Advice to Management

More transparency and benefits for new hires. More education about the differences (pros & cons) of particular shifts).

"Tough"

Current Employee - Field Paramedic in San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Field Paramedic in San Diego, CA

I have been working at American Medical Response full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Work with great people in the field.

Cons

Management does not care about you. They care about the bottom line.

Advice to Management

Care for the people who are the backbone of the co.