American Medical Response Reviews | Glassdoor

American Medical Response Reviews

Updated April 17, 2017

Full-time Part-time

Pros
Cons
  • Low pay, considering the things you see as an EMT (in 30 reviews)

• Low pay, long hours, depending on the shift you could be posted in the ambulance and not a station (in 17 reviews)

1. "Good for a new emt with no experience."

Current Employee - EMT-Basic in Redlands, CA
    Current Employee - EMT-Basic in Redlands, CA

I have been working at American Medical Response full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

If you're fresh out of emt school it is a good place to get experience under your belt. You can learn a lot if you pay attention. Not a place to stay for long term, you'll get burnt out quickly due to the long hours and high call volume.

Cons

Low pay, supervisors are unqualified and don't seem to know what they're doing, you can get in trouble for almost anything, always getting held over at least 2 hours, equipment is broken, lack of communication between crews, supervisors, dispatch, and vst's, extremely high call volume and low staffing.

2. "Not sure what to say.."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Modesto, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Modesto, CA

Pros

The pay is pretty good and the employees are nice to work with; also easy work

Cons

It was sometimes very stressful and things were always changing

Advice to Management

Be nicer to your employees

3. "AMR Las Vegas"

Current Employee - Paramedic NREMT Certified in Las Vegas, NV
    Current Employee - Paramedic NREMT Certified in Las Vegas, NV

Pros

Overtime is always available, approachable management, badge classes are free, new equipment. The company has always been will to work with my schedule changes. AMR paid for my paramedic training.

Cons

Difficult to promote. Raises are very small and not based on performance.

Advice to Management

Work harder to keep the employees you have.

5. "Don't do it"

Former Employee - EMT in Philadelphia, PA
    Former Employee - EMT in Philadelphia, PA

I worked at American Medical Response full-time (More than a year)

Pros

All the hours you want

Cons

Never get off on time. Held 3 to 4 hours past shift. Threats of being fired if you try to leave before their board is clear. Even if it's past your shift. No direction from management. Poor training. Bad equipment. No incentives. Bad raises. Same raise for everyone. Even if they are a horrible employee. Lowest pay around. There are better companies to work for don't settle.

Advice to Management

You all need managment classes. Probably shouldn't treat people different according to how you personally feel about them. All the managers should be fired and new ones with training to take their place.

6. "Not your average 9-5"

Former Employee - Driver in Las Vegas, NV
    Former Employee - Driver in Las Vegas, NV

I worked at American Medical Response (More than a year)

Pros

This company has some great staff. definitely feels like you are family. This company definitely allows their employees to grow, they offer schooling and you have the ability to move into different areas of the field. There is always an option for over time, which at times can take you out of state. It isn't your average job which makes it exciting and one most employees look forward to doing everyday.

Cons

Like most jobs there are times when it felt like being back in high school with all of the gossip, bad attitudes and poor work ethic.
    At times it felt as if this company was hiring anybody they could and it made for a very uncomfortable and negative experience for both you and the patients.

Advice to Management

The pay isn't great at all. An employee basically needs to work a lot of overtime in order to have a decent check. Put a stop to all of the gossip and drama. Hire people who show promise, a great work ethic, and people skills. The discipline steps that management has to take just doesn't seem appropriate, the company does not allow minors to work for them but yet they discipline the employees as if they were children.

7. "AMR New Haven"

Current Employee - EMT in New Haven, CT
    Current Employee - EMT in New Haven, CT

I have been working at American Medical Response part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good amount of hours and experience

Cons

Very stressfull, not so great pay

8. "Good experience"

Current Employee - Field Paramedic in Alta Loma, CA
    Current Employee - Field Paramedic in Alta Loma, CA

I have been working at American Medical Response full-time (More than a year)

Pros

It's a good place to get expierence. It's not the best, but it's certainly not the worst. Big company, big benefits...

Cons

The pay isn't great, and the hours are long. But it is what it is... AMR is the standard in the industr, BUT it does give you the ability to move around the country and stay with the same employer

Advice to Management

think about your employees as much as you think about the bottom line. we work hard for you, it would be nice to feel like you work hard for us too.

9. "EMT"

Former Employee - EMT/Dispatcher/Field Training Officer in Albuquerque, NM
    Former Employee - EMT/Dispatcher/Field Training Officer in Albuquerque, NM

I worked at American Medical Response part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Management take great care of staffs, upto date training. Benafits are also great for full time. There are also opportunities to further career path's. With a more being such a huge company transferring is always an option. I really have nothing bad to say about amr

Cons

Normal petty gossip from employees ext

10. "EMT"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Santa Rosa, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Santa Rosa, CA

I worked at American Medical Response part-time

Pros

Coworkers are wonderful; they can make a 12 hour shift fly by. The company has a lot of resources for CEs and training.

Cons

Management is not lenient when it comes to rules. A lot of struggles between management and the union. Trying to schedule shifts as a part-timer could be a nightmare.

11. "EMT-B"

Current Employee - EMT-Basic in Pompano Beach, FL
    Current Employee - EMT-Basic in Pompano Beach, FL

Pros

You get health care experience (good for fire rescue resume, or other health care careers such as PA or MD/DO), transport and respond to non emergency (non 911) calls, and most valuable of all, flexible scheduling. Part time is considered one permanent shift, and full time is considered working 32 hours a week. There are benefits available for going full time, such as health insurance and discounts on services such as cell phone providers, and so forth.

The staff at the Broward location are very friendly and always assist in answering questions that I may have about my job, situations while working, and directing me to the right person if they cannot help me.

The job itself is very easy and straightforward. Transport patients to and from medical facilities, write the reports for documentation and billing purposes, and perform some level of patient care, such as collecting vitals, providing oxygen, etc.

I've been told that AMR provides career opportunities to employees, as many of the administrative staff were promoted after working as an EMT-B. During orientation, we were told that the CEO Mr. Edward Van Horne started his career as an EMT-B for AMR.

Cons

Pay is on the lower end of the spectrum. A starting EMT makes $9.45 while being part time, and eventually you will gain a $1.00 raise after a three month probation. There are other incentives to gain anywhere from $0.75 to $1.50 more, such as working weekends, and you can work standby shifts where you are on call, but make an additional $50 whether you are called into work or not.

Some partners have been working here for a while and appear to be burned out. They will do as little as possible by delaying calls, and despite being good people, put you in an awkward situation where you can possible face punishment for a partner being difficult.

It isn't uncommon to come home an hour late after the end of a shift. If you are expecting to get off at 8:00 PM (20:00), expect to clock out around 9:00 PM (21:00). This is just the nature of the job, and working on the road with traffic in other counties within the area.

During the slow seasons during the middle of the year when the "snowbirds" return home, it can be tough to get enough hours to pay the bills, so for many employees, this is a second job. It seems odd that there is a constant flow of new employees that go through orientation on what appears to be a weekly basis, yet there are less shifts available for picking up for current employees. When it becomes very slow, it is possible that we can be cut from a shift entirely, resulting in a loss of steady income and work hours.

No responding to 911 emergencies if you work for Broward County, unless you are assigned to Lauderdale by the Sea's station.

Advice to Management

I would be very happy if more shifts could become available for current employees, rather than fighting and being desperate for shifts due to all the new employees this company is constantly hiring. "AMR is ALWAYS hiring year round" was what I was told before I applied, which was a great thing to me as this is my first job out of EMT-B school. Unfortunately, as an EMT-B for the company, this means that I have less shifts available due to all the new EMT-B and EMT-P picking up a shift after completing orientation.

If shifts cannot be added, perhaps increasing our hourly wage could help. After all, your employees are people with bills to pay too.