American National Bank of Texas Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-time Part-time

3.3
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Robert Hulsey

1. "Loan Servicing Specialist"

Current Employee - Loan Servicing Specialist in Terrell, TX
    Current Employee - Loan Servicing Specialist in Terrell, TX

I have been working at American National Bank of Texas full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Friendly service, home town bank vibe, all in all easy to learn.

Cons

Not many career move ups.

2. "Ok employer if you're in banking."

Former Employee - Bank Teller
    Former Employee - Bank Teller

I worked at American National Bank of Texas full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Of course the hours were good. First level managers were supportive. Some sales pressure but not near that of larger banks.

Cons

Never felt supported by anything above an assistant manager. Pay is low but survivable. Equipment and process is old for banking.

Advice to Management

Support first line employees more. They are the face of the company and feel abandoned when having to discuss policy and procedure with customers.

3. "Manager"

Former Employee - Manager in Terrell, TX
    Former Employee - Manager in Terrell, TX

I worked at American National Bank of Texas (More than 3 years)

Pros

Lack of sales pressure you see at competitor banks, very family oriented

Cons

No cons to speak of

Advice to Management

Continue to stay true to your core principles as a local, hometown bank

5. "Small Company"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Plano, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Plano, TX

I have been working at American National Bank of Texas (Less than a year)

Pros

Small company with a family feel

Cons

Small company and lower wages

Advice to Management

None

6. "Worst bank to ever teller at."

Former Employee - Bank Teller in Wylie, TX
    Former Employee - Bank Teller in Wylie, TX

I worked at American National Bank of Texas part-time (More than a year)

Pros

My customers. Nothing else really. Probably one of the worst places I have ever worked at. Promoted those who never did anything above those who wanted extra hours.

Cons

Everything. Upper management, getting days off was a hassle even when put in months in advance. Hire you on saying student schedules are fine but when it comes down to it. It isn't.

Advice to Management

Look at your branch managers. Half of them don't even know how to be a teller. How are you gonna tell me to run the bank when you don't even know the flow of your bank. Let ALONE the jobs I do on the daily or how they are achieved.

7. "Keep looking"

Current Employee - Anonymous in Terrell, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous in Terrell, TX

I have been working at American National Bank of Texas full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The work is doable and the atmosphere is friendly..

Cons

Not a lot of training. Very hard to climb the ladder of success. Pay is below average.

Advice to Management

Teach employees. Withholding information only harms the department.

8. "Great Overall Experience"

Former Employee - Senior Teller in Wylie, TX
    Former Employee - Senior Teller in Wylie, TX

I worked at American National Bank of Texas full-time

Pros

Co-workers, community involvement, home/work life balance

Cons

Low pay compared to other financial institutions. Small company so technology and streamlining of procedures is lacking.

Advice to Management

Don't be threatened by the advancement of employees. Take time to nurture and guide those under you so everyone can succeed.

"Leaving was the hardest decision I ever made professionally."

Former Employee - Loan Servicing Specialist II in Terrell, TX
    Former Employee - Loan Servicing Specialist II in Terrell, TX

I worked at American National Bank of Texas full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Standard 8-5 schedule with paid holidays and vacation time with ESOP and 401k. Family like company culture. I felt like it was a home away from home with people that genuinely cared about each other. Great opportunity to network and build relationships with people. I'll never forget the managers that did everything they could to take care of me at work. I did my best at my job because they deserved it.

The amount of learning experiences I've had working in Loan Operations there were almost limitless. There was new, valuable information to be learned almost every day, and I had managers that valued my opinions and were genuinely interested in my ideas. It made me want to give back in any way I could, so I helped out with projects I wasn't a part of.

If I had the ability to make a difference, I did it. Current employees need to understand that going beyond the call of duty rewards you. I was compensated with things like a day off as well as growth opportunities as a thank you for my stepping up and helping even when it wasn't requested.

Cons

Sometimes I felt like some my particular job had some random duties that didn't make sense to the role I had. It was like they weren't sure who to assign that task to, so they just gave it to my position.

Also, the company seems to operate on a skeleton crew all of the time. If the purchasing manager is on vacation, no one in the entire company gets office supplies until he gets back. If one person is gone on vacation, the backlog can get insane because there's not really anyone else there that is familiar with that particular job function, which gives a very compartmentalized feel that just BEGS for a better training program. The company technology is also antiquated, but they seem to be moving forward, albeit a snail's pace.

Also, I felt like the amount of work that was required to be done was rewarded with too little in terms of payscale. By industry standards, the pay here is significantly less. I have a friend working at a grocery store that makes more than I did working at ANB. Just an unfortunate truth.

The benefits are good and the hours and experience are fantastic, but it was more than difficult keeping my head above water with living on my own and paying for college. Also, it's hard to invest in your 401k or pay for your insurance deductible when you aren't paid enough to do that realistically.

Advice to Management

If there is way to fight the beaurocracy so employees could be paid better, please discover it. You won't remain in the top 100 places to work if your employees aren't happy with their quality of life.

10. "Bank Teller"

Former Employee - Bank Teller in Corpus Christi, TX
    Former Employee - Bank Teller in Corpus Christi, TX

Pros

The training process is thorough and I was prepared before I started at a branch. Everyone was incredibly nice and the work atmosphere was enjoyable.

Cons

Everything depends upon the branch that you are assigned. There can be some talking behind employees' backs and days can be longer and more work if you're at some branches.

11. "Branch Manager/ AVP"

Current Employee - Branch Manager in Saginaw, TX
    Current Employee - Branch Manager in Saginaw, TX

I have been working at American National Bank of Texas full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Wonderful bank to work for. Small town community bank out of Ardmore, OK. Great work family as well as an awesome customer base.

Cons

locations in the Dallas FT Worth metroplex