American National Insurance Reviews | Glassdoor

3.2
James Pozzi

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • Low pay but not bad for the area (in 11 reviews)

• Low Pay across company, Unachievable goals set by upper management, low quality qa analyst (in 7 reviews)

1. "Getting Better"

Current Employee - Middle Management in Springfield, MO
    Current Employee - Middle Management in Springfield, MO

I have been working at American National Insurance full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

After the coming together of the Enterprise, I think we are on the mends. Communication is getting better and still has some improvements to be made. Facilities are being updated. Top management is providing more than lip service when they say they are listening. More focus is being put on helping folks have a satisfying career and not just a job.

Cons

Unfortunately, in some areas of the company the "good ole' boy network" is still alive and well.
    The top two items on the all employee survey were pay and health insurance. Communication as to what is or is not being done about both of those is not happening.
    There are too many layers in the management team. There are many managers/executives that have less than 3 people reporting to them and some with nobody at all. That doesn't seem very lean and seems like an opportunity.

Advice to Management

Address the tough questions.
    Do not assume an announcement on the intranet is getting out to everyone.
    Bite the bullet and address the pay situation.
    Keep up the good work on the things you are doing.
    Thank you for updating the buildings we spend 1/3 of our lives in. It is very nice to see the progress that is being made.
    Take a good strong look at your managers and executives. Are they growing their people or are they occupying a space?
    Who in management are your leaders, who are your followers, and who are your dictators (you currently have all three)?

2. "American National is a great Company"

Current Employee - Insurance Agent in Murray, UT
    Current Employee - Insurance Agent in Murray, UT

I have been working at American National Insurance full-time (More than a year)

Pros

American National is great in so many different ways. Bozena Brinkman is so supportive and is always there to answer any of her agents questions or needs. I have had my insurance with American National since I was 16 and my mom has been with them since 1993. They are always there to take care of any of their clients needs. I chose to work with American National over different companies because I believe in what the company provides and they have always taken care of me with my personal insurance! I would definitely recommend working for American National!

Cons

I don't have any problems or negative things to say about American National.

"Great Place to Work"

Current Employee - Business Analyst in Springfield, MO
    Current Employee - Business Analyst in Springfield, MO

Pros

Great atmosphere - wonderful people
    Lots of paid time off - PTO, paid holidays and floating holidays
    Work from home option in some departments
    Paid industry classes including Management courses
    Tuition reimbursement
    Some departments have a flexible work schedules
    Many career growth opportunities in Insurance and Corporate Technology
    Good managers
    Company holds seasonal morale improvement activities
    Free stuff - Cups, Shirts, Bags, etc.
    Current department allows a great work/life balance
    Employees are surveyed regularly and improvements are made
    Easy to use Intranet

Cons

Expensive health benefits
    Relatively low pay in some departments compared to industry standards

Advice to Management

Continue to seek and accept feedback from employees. Our industry is going digital - make the move to grow with our clients. Complete more department wide focus groups so everyone, especially millennials, can feel and be heard. Implement employee ideas and if they don't work, go back to the drawing board. Change is good! Upper management: please raise pay so you keep the good employees. This company has so much to offer. If employees were paid better for their job duties, maybe more employees wouldn't leave for $5K more. Invest in and develop our young employees, they are our future.

"I think its on the lower side of average."

Current Employee - Senior Business Analyst in Springfield, MO
    Current Employee - Senior Business Analyst in Springfield, MO

I have been working at American National Insurance full-time (More than a year)

Pros

37.5 hour work week
    1$:1$ 401k match up to 6%
    Around 3 weeks vacation per year -- fully granted

Cons

I have been here almost 8 months. There has been little to no training on their systems.
    The teams I have encountered are locked into the "we have done it this way" type of mentality.
    There are lots of people who have been here for decades many of wich have not seen/worked for other companies and refuse to open their eyes even if there is a better way to do things.
    Not overly welcoming for new associates - at least I feel that way
    There are only a few leadership and higher paying positions opened up every month because the company is so top heavy so be ready to stay in your position for a while

Advice to Management

1. Communicate
    2. Allow mentoring, job shadowing, personal as well as professional development
    3. Allow your company to grow people not keep them down

I understand that insurance is really around managing risk, and yes I can agree that there are good reasons to be conservative but you are being so conservative that it makes new people not feel welcome. I wonder what the turnover rate here is....

"ANICO - Family of Companies"

Current Employee - Associate Manager in League City, TX
    Current Employee - Associate Manager in League City, TX

I have been working at American National Insurance full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good benefits with strong 401k plan and plenty of vacation time for new employees just starting out, strong job security in the right department, growth potential for hard workers

Cons

Very poor salaries, there is some disorganization in most areas, there is high turnover in the lower ranks which lead to poorly trained units and staff which in turn results in very micro-managing upper management. The customer service is very poor and the amount of agents leaving the company nearly equals the new ones coming in

Advice to Management

Management need to try harder to keep good employees from leaving. Paying people so low and taking away incentives to stay leads to such high turnover that it hurts you in the long run. Stop playing checkers and start playing chess

"Insurance Agent"

Former Employee - Insurance Agent in Eagle Pass, TX
    Former Employee - Insurance Agent in Eagle Pass, TX

I worked at American National Insurance full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

You're not stuck in an office and you have freedom to go visit clients. If you meet the quota for the year, you have a nice vacation paid for.

Cons

Company does not provide fuel allowance. Chasing clients for their premiums. Sales managers and district managers are also on commission so they are constantly on you about sales.

Advice to Management

Learn to work with your agents, remember we are a big part of the company and your salary.

"Loved this job"

Former Employee - Field Sales Agent in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Field Sales Agent in Houston, TX

I worked at American National Insurance full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great pay as long as you work hard
    Loved my Co workers
    Great bonuses
    If you do good you get to go on trips
    Make your own schedule

Cons

I had no bad experiences

Advice to Management

None

8. "Alright"

Current Employee - Associate Underwriter in Glenmont, NY
    Current Employee - Associate Underwriter in Glenmont, NY

I have been working at American National Insurance full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Flexible schedule and a relaxed environment, also not too stressful. A lot of team building activities. 401k match is decent

Cons

Pay is well below average. Lots and lots of turnover, however this may be due to pay. Responsibilities can change at the drop of a dime. Company has resorted to using a different job title to try and draw in applicants.

Advice to Management

Improve salaries

"Terrible. Don't waste your time"

Current Employee - CIF AUW in Springfield, MO
    Current Employee - CIF AUW in Springfield, MO

I have been working at American National Insurance full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Hours are nice. We get to wear jeans once a week. That's about it.

Cons

Expensive benefits. Company manages their own employees benefits and still charges more than competitors. Horrible raises. Most years you'll maybe get an extra 20 bucks a month but you're expected to work harder each year. Poor management. People at top don't listen and ignore everyone else. Hr is pointless. They're in the pocket of management and don't care about the individuals. Outside applicants get favor over internal candidates.

Advice to Management

Leave the company and seek psychological help.

"Sr. Licensing Adminstrator"

Former Employee - Senior Licensing Associate in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Senior Licensing Associate in Houston, TX

I worked at American National Insurance (Less than a year)

Pros

Vacation was given as hired

Cons

Worse Management Skill.

Advice to Management

Stop treating employee like a slave. Stop Bullying.