American National Insurance Reviews | Glassdoor

3.1
James Pozzi

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • Low pay but not bad for the area (in 11 reviews)

• Low Pay across company, Unachievable goals set by upper management, low quality qa analyst (in 7 reviews)

1. "inside sales agent"

I worked at American National Insurance full-time

Pros

I worked here for 5 years. Good pay.

Cons

Hard to get promotions. Must be young.

Advice to Management

Please spend more time instructing new hires.

2. "I worked in Springfield, ANPAC"

Former Employee - Cdt in Springfield, MO
    Former Employee - Cdt in Springfield, MO

I worked at American National Insurance part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Marketing department is amazing. If you're in the area, work here. Hands down.

Cons

None really. I was an intern so I'm not sure what the compensation structure is like.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work.

3. "Decent job if all you want is a paycheck"

Former Employee - Software Engineer II in Springfield, MO
    Former Employee - Software Engineer II in Springfield, MO

I worked at American National Insurance full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

37.5 hour work week was great. The insurance, holidays, and time off we're all pretty decent. That's about it for the pros.

Cons

It seemed like every six months the IT department was restructured and people were moved around.

There was a lot of finger pointing going on when bugs or issues came up. If there was a bug that may have been caused in one of my applications, I was instructed to only do enough work to make sure it wasn't our fault. Nobody cared about actually fixing the issue, they only cared about having someone else to blame for it.

"Getting Better"

Current Employee - Middle Management in Springfield, MO
    Current Employee - Middle Management in Springfield, MO

I have been working at American National Insurance full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

After the coming together of the Enterprise, I think we are on the mends. Communication is getting better and still has some improvements to be made. Facilities are being updated. Top management is providing more than lip service when they say they are listening. More focus is being put on helping folks have a satisfying career and not just a job.

Cons

Unfortunately, in some areas of the company the "good ole' boy network" is still alive and well.
    The top two items on the all employee survey were pay and health insurance. Communication as to what is or is not being done about both of those is not happening.
    There are too many layers in the management team. There are many managers/executives that have less than 3 people reporting to them and some with nobody at all. That doesn't seem very lean and seems like an opportunity.

Advice to Management

Address the tough questions.
    Do not assume an announcement on the intranet is getting out to everyone.
    Bite the bullet and address the pay situation.
    Keep up the good work on the things you are doing.
    Thank you for updating the buildings we spend 1/3 of our lives in. It is very nice to see the progress that is being made.
    Take a good strong look at your managers and executives. Are they growing their people or are they occupying a space?
    Who in management are your leaders, who are your followers, and who are your dictators (you currently have all three)?

5. "Great Company to Work For"

I have been working at American National Insurance full-time

Pros

There is TONS of support and they all want you to be very successful. The training is ongoing and they are always growing their marketing and social reach.

Cons

The underwriting is going through a revamp and hiring more employees which is good but in the mean time, they get overwhelmed.

Advice to Management

Get faster underwriting = more revenue for everyone!

6. "American National is a great Company"

Current Employee - Insurance Agent in Murray, UT
    Current Employee - Insurance Agent in Murray, UT

I have been working at American National Insurance full-time (More than a year)

Pros

American National is great in so many different ways. Bozena Brinkman is so supportive and is always there to answer any of her agents questions or needs. I have had my insurance with American National since I was 16 and my mom has been with them since 1993. They are always there to take care of any of their clients needs. I chose to work with American National over different companies because I believe in what the company provides and they have always taken care of me with my personal insurance! I would definitely recommend working for American National!

Cons

I don't have any problems or negative things to say about American National.

7. "Awful Company"

Current Employee - Home Office in Springfield, MO
    Current Employee - Home Office in Springfield, MO

I have been working at American National Insurance full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I honestly can't think of any other than the 37.5 hour work week. I'd gladly work 40+ hours somewhere else though.

Cons

Backstabbing is rewarded, crushing workload, pathetic rate of pay, management solves problems that don't exist but ignores the ones that need to be solved, antiquated systems, embarrassing turnaround time because of the antiquated systems and crushing workload, they add more agents but not more home office staff to handle the extra work, they don't really train the agents, the software updates are a joke, none of the departments seem to be able to work together, communication is nonexistent, last but not least - it seems to be accepted in their culture to use slurs and make inappropriate jokes yet nothing is said by management but management says plenty about petty issues once they decide they want you out of the door. The health insurance is so mediocre that being on the meds it takes to work here is still expensive. Pick any other place but here!

Advice to Management

Why bother? Management doesn't take advice anyways.

8. "Do not go"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Galveston, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Galveston, TX

Pros

Absolutely nothing is good about this company at all. I can't think of one good thing to say. Enjoy dinner with your co trainers.

Cons

Everything. Training was literally hell worse group of people. I highly recommend running from this opportunity. Do not even think about going to this training.

Advice to Management

You know.

"Anpac"

I have been working at American National Insurance full-time

Pros

The company offers a good work\life balace

Cons

Ocassional problems with interdepartment communication

"Great Place to Work"

Current Employee - Business Analyst in Springfield, MO
    Current Employee - Business Analyst in Springfield, MO

Pros

Great atmosphere - wonderful people
    Lots of paid time off - PTO, paid holidays and floating holidays
    Work from home option in some departments
    Paid industry classes including Management courses
    Tuition reimbursement
    Some departments have a flexible work schedules
    Many career growth opportunities in Insurance and Corporate Technology
    Good managers
    Company holds seasonal morale improvement activities
    Free stuff - Cups, Shirts, Bags, etc.
    Current department allows a great work/life balance
    Employees are surveyed regularly and improvements are made
    Easy to use Intranet

Cons

Expensive health benefits
    Relatively low pay in some departments compared to industry standards

Advice to Management

Continue to seek and accept feedback from employees. Our industry is going digital - make the move to grow with our clients. Complete more department wide focus groups so everyone, especially millennials, can feel and be heard. Implement employee ideas and if they don't work, go back to the drawing board. Change is good! Upper management: please raise pay so you keep the good employees. This company has so much to offer. If employees were paid better for their job duties, maybe more employees wouldn't leave for $5K more. Invest in and develop our young employees, they are our future.