American National Insurance Reviews in Springfield, MO | Glassdoor

2.8
James Pozzi

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • Low pay but not bad for the area (in 13 reviews)

• Low Pay across company, Unachievable goals set by upper management, low quality qa analyst (in 8 reviews)

1. "Claims-PD Auto"

Current Employee - Crpd in Springfield, MO
    Current Employee - Crpd in Springfield, MO

I have been working at American National Insurance full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good hours, great people to work with, management team is great, company is financially very strong.

Cons

Salaries low compared to others in the industry, workload is high, minimal yearly raises, benefits are expensive and skimpy, lack of employee outings/programs and company pride of other employees, semi-difficult to advance once you get to a certain point as there are so many people that work in each department there are a lot of people that apply for any promotion that comes up.

Advice to Management

Take care of your employees more, have more programs in place for the advancement of employees that have been there longer and want to grow within the company as opposed to hiring other people over them for what appears to be bogus reasons.

"Management is completely out of touch - employees dropping left and right"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Springfield, MO

Pros

Healthy work/life balance (37.5 hour work weeks). Good benefits. Reasonable pay.

Cons

I have to say things at American National used to be a lot better. For the past couple years, in my department at least, things have just gotten worse and worse. Management preaches an ethical approach to business yet they promote and praise the worst employees and reprimand and even fire the faithful ones. When coworkers quit (to hold on to some of their dignity and sanity) before they even have new jobs lined up, you know things are bad. I've asked myself countless time if I am working in the Twilight Zone because things are so crazy and clearly are not going to change. Disappointed to say the least, but at some point you have to accept things for what they are and move on. Oh and good luck getting a promotion. You'll retire before that happens.

Advice to Management

Wake up. When everyone is quitting and/or actively job hunting, it's not rocket science figuring out that something is seriously wrong.

"Don't walk .... run"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Springfield, MO
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Springfield, MO

I worked at American National Insurance full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

The people who actually do the work care about and help each other. New hires are golden. Get some experience and move on to better places.

Cons

Management is the absolute worst. There is no consistency regarding employee performance evaluation. Managers are lazy and do not care about their team members. Do not trust HR. HR will never, ever listen to team members but they take everything the managers say as full gospel, not allowing the lowly team members to stand up for themselves or speak at all. This is the most oppressive environment I've ever worked in. If you enjoy abuse, this is the place for you.

Advice to Management

Top tier leadership....pay attention to what the team members are telling you about their managers. Make the managers accountable and hold them to the same , actually MORE expectations as the worker bees. I know you can't teach the managers to be human beings but you can teach them to be part of the team and expect them to show up and actually do some work.

"Deceptive and Unapologetic"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Springfield, MO

I have been working at American National Insurance full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The company provides a 7.5 hour work day and several paid holidays throughout the year.

Cons

The leaders and managers consistently provide false information on overtime and career paths for promotion. They later change the information to pay employees less and sometimes deny overtime after the time has been worked. It is a difficult and oppressive work environment. Turnover is excessive as the most skilled people do not stay very long due to low pay and dishonest managers.

Advice to Management

You should not be in a business of integrity and trust while treating your employees with such dishonesty and intimidation. Please treat the people who work for you with dignity. It is not too late.

"Don't even apply. I wish I wouldn't have!"

Current Employee - Administrative in Springfield, MO
    Current Employee - Administrative in Springfield, MO

I have been working at American National Insurance full-time (More than a year)

Pros

You get a paycheck...that may or may not be accurate. Your benefits will probably cover the medication it requires to work here as well as the frequent illness that comes from the dirty and poorly maintained building.

Cons

Ever increasing workload, below average pay, mediocre and overpriced benefits. They'll tell you that you're going to get overtime and then after you've worked it there's some technicality on why you don't get it and somehow sorry is supposed to be enough. Even though they have multiple feel good meetings that really only appease the employees that can't see through their lies they still make it clear that they don't appreciate their employees through harassment, lack of backup, lies and poor benefits and compensation. You can only view your pay stub from the work computers, you don't get one mailed or emailed to you. The morale is terrible and that make it clear they feel no need to fix anything. When you apply for positions within the company you are reprimanded by your supervisor. I asked the questions that I needed to in the interview to make a decision about working here and I was blatantly lied to. I left a job that I liked, but was too far from home based on those lies when I could've just waited for a better position to come along. They brag about how many agents they've added to the company but they also say they have no plans of adding anymore home office staff to handle the extra workload. Additionally, we are all two weeks and in some cases a full month behind on work and apparently they find this perfectly acceptable. Sadly, I work here and I'd NEVER consider having insurance through this place.

Advice to Management

Start treating your employees with some sort of respect, stop messing with their paychecks and duping them into working extra hours for less than what they were promised, make things right when you give them wrong information and stop using the bullying tactics. Actually start listening to your employees. Upper management has forgotten that they depend on decent employees.

"Decent job if all you want is a paycheck"

Former Employee - Software Engineer II in Springfield, MO
    Former Employee - Software Engineer II in Springfield, MO

I worked at American National Insurance full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

37.5 hour work week was great. The insurance, holidays, and time off we're all pretty decent. That's about it for the pros.

Cons

It seemed like every six months the IT department was restructured and people were moved around.

There was a lot of finger pointing going on when bugs or issues came up. If there was a bug that may have been caused in one of my applications, I was instructed to only do enough work to make sure it wasn't our fault. Nobody cared about actually fixing the issue, they only cared about having someone else to blame for it.

7. "I worked in Springfield, ANPAC"

Former Employee - Cdt in Springfield, MO
    Former Employee - Cdt in Springfield, MO

I worked at American National Insurance part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Marketing department is amazing. If you're in the area, work here. Hands down.

Cons

None really. I was an intern so I'm not sure what the compensation structure is like.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work.

"Getting Better"

Current Employee - Middle Management in Springfield, MO
    Current Employee - Middle Management in Springfield, MO

I have been working at American National Insurance full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

After the coming together of the Enterprise, I think we are on the mends. Communication is getting better and still has some improvements to be made. Facilities are being updated. Top management is providing more than lip service when they say they are listening. More focus is being put on helping folks have a satisfying career and not just a job.

Cons

Unfortunately, in some areas of the company the "good ole' boy network" is still alive and well.
    The top two items on the all employee survey were pay and health insurance. Communication as to what is or is not being done about both of those is not happening.
    There are too many layers in the management team. There are many managers/executives that have less than 3 people reporting to them and some with nobody at all. That doesn't seem very lean and seems like an opportunity.

Advice to Management

Address the tough questions.
    Do not assume an announcement on the intranet is getting out to everyone.
    Bite the bullet and address the pay situation.
    Keep up the good work on the things you are doing.
    Thank you for updating the buildings we spend 1/3 of our lives in. It is very nice to see the progress that is being made.
    Take a good strong look at your managers and executives. Are they growing their people or are they occupying a space?
    Who in management are your leaders, who are your followers, and who are your dictators (you currently have all three)?

"I think its on the lower side of average."

Current Employee - Senior Business Analyst in Springfield, MO
    Current Employee - Senior Business Analyst in Springfield, MO

I have been working at American National Insurance full-time (More than a year)

Pros

37.5 hour work week
    1$:1$ 401k match up to 6%
    Around 3 weeks vacation per year -- fully granted

Cons

I have been here almost 8 months. There has been little to no training on their systems.
    The teams I have encountered are locked into the "we have done it this way" type of mentality.
    There are lots of people who have been here for decades many of wich have not seen/worked for other companies and refuse to open their eyes even if there is a better way to do things.
    Not overly welcoming for new associates - at least I feel that way
    There are only a few leadership and higher paying positions opened up every month because the company is so top heavy so be ready to stay in your position for a while

Advice to Management

1. Communicate
    2. Allow mentoring, job shadowing, personal as well as professional development
    3. Allow your company to grow people not keep them down

I understand that insurance is really around managing risk, and yes I can agree that there are good reasons to be conservative but you are being so conservative that it makes new people not feel welcome. I wonder what the turnover rate here is....

"Great Place to Work"

Current Employee - Business Analyst in Springfield, MO
    Current Employee - Business Analyst in Springfield, MO

Pros

Great atmosphere - wonderful people
    Lots of paid time off - PTO, paid holidays and floating holidays
    Work from home option in some departments
    Paid industry classes including Management courses
    Tuition reimbursement
    Some departments have a flexible work schedules
    Many career growth opportunities in Insurance and Corporate Technology
    Good managers
    Company holds seasonal morale improvement activities
    Free stuff - Cups, Shirts, Bags, etc.
    Current department allows a great work/life balance
    Employees are surveyed regularly and improvements are made
    Easy to use Intranet

Cons

Expensive health benefits
    Relatively low pay in some departments compared to industry standards

Advice to Management

Continue to seek and accept feedback from employees. Our industry is going digital - make the move to grow with our clients. Complete more department wide focus groups so everyone, especially millennials, can feel and be heard. Implement employee ideas and if they don't work, go back to the drawing board. Change is good! Upper management: please raise pay so you keep the good employees. This company has so much to offer. If employees were paid better for their job duties, maybe more employees wouldn't leave for $5K more. Invest in and develop our young employees, they are our future.