American Nurses Association Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

2.1
Dr. Marla Weston

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Good location in the heart of downtown Silver Spring (in 9 reviews)

• Relatively autonomous with a really good work-life balance (in 7 reviews)

Cons
  • Staff do not trust HR or leadership to handle the bad work environment because people sense that it is about being friends with leadership and HR (in 9 reviews)

• High turnover due to poor management and unreasonable workload demands (in 4 reviews)

1. "Good Place to Work"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Silver Spring, MD
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Silver Spring, MD

I have been working at American Nurses Association full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I have been here close to a year and the organization is invested in addressing the concerns of the employees. Values and training have been rolled out and the culture is focused on core values including Respect and Empowerment. Change is difficult but I am seeing great effort at all levels of the company to improve the culture. I'm glad I did not read the negative reviews on this site prior to being hired because I would have missed out on a great position. There are challenges at all companies but this one has proven to be a great place to work and I'm glad I pursued the position.

Cons

Going through a culture change which can be difficult for some

Advice to Management

Continue the educational opportunities

"Good Values Not Upheld"

I worked at American Nurses Association full-time

Pros

Excellent benefits, decent sense of community.

Cons

Although the organization developed great values to guide the workplace culture (Joy, Creativity, Trust, Respect, Excellence, Empowerment, Collaboration) they are unprepared to enforce these values when they are violated by upper management. The IT Department is in shambles due to heinous and disrespectful management by Gopi Gopinath and Sarah Edwards. They are the worst managers I have worked under both functionally and emotionally. Despite several employees complaints to HR and all levels of management over many months, following all suggested steps, no improvements were made and no changes were introduced. AVOID the IT Department, it is very sad what happened to it, was high functioning when I came.

Most employees are forced to pay union dues. I didn't like having to do this, but Maryland is not a right-to-work state.

Advice to Management

Uphold the values! Why have them if you are unwilling to uphold them?

Also dislike the increased use of contractors over a longer period of time. The contractor feels like they 'don't belong' do not get the benefits of their full-time colleagues, which creates imbalance and hurts team cohesion and motivation over time.

"STAY AWAY - You deserve better"

I worked at American Nurses Association full-time

Pros

Decent benefits (401k best I’ve seen)

Cons

Absolute joke of a work environment. Every manager seems to be a bully giving no type of real leadership or direction to their team. Everyone talks about each other behind their back. Terrible chemistry and work morale to suffer through each day. CEO stepped down, probably to avoid this major headache. Have never seen so many grown adults operate like high schoolers. Negative energy everywhere you turn. They try to hide it with the pot lucks, culture transformation, values, etc. If you are a minority, you’d better enjoy significantly lower pay, positions, and be looked down on. They have managers and supervisors in place who have no idea what leadership or developing talent requires. If you look at the top you’ll see similar faces and many things in common.

Advice to Management

Who is management? Uproot everyone and start over. Get some diversity.

"Things Could Be Better"

Pros

Benefits are awesome. and so are the people.

Cons

High level management... They tend to be very secretive.

Advice to Management

They do a lot of "talk" but never any true actions

"Train wreck"

I have been working at American Nurses Association full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Decent benefits and pay is good too.

Cons

Organization is poorly managed as finance missed a $2.5 million deficit thus forcing layoffs. I find it odd that there is a review here on Aug. 2 about how great the place is to work when the layoffs took place on Aug. 1. The money losing NKC division was spared but other departments were hit really hard, even though they didn't cause the problems. Many managers are bullies and just bad managers who should have stayed working as nurses. For a while ANA was trying to promote work values and improve the culture but following the layoffs, the talk of values was halted since it sounded hollow after the ham handed way the layoffs were handled. Departments are understaffed but the workload continues to increase. Stay far away from this place as I can't wait to get out. The organization is going through a digital transformation but that has been botched and many IT people have left to avoid that train wreck. The project is way behind schedule and no one has any idea what the final product will look like or if it will even work.

Advice to Management

Stop wasting so much money and get rid of programs and products that draining organizational resources. Bring in better managers and stop tolerating bullying. Many staff are overworked while others get by without doing anything at all.

"Leadership problems"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Silver Spring, MD
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Silver Spring, MD

I worked at American Nurses Association full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

The good part of working at ANA is that nurses are great people. The actual members are fantastic - ethical, appreciative, supportive, smart.

Cons

I left ANA during a time of reorganization that suffered from very poor, top-down style leadership. It caused huge turnover. Since I left, the turnover has gotten worse and there have been severe financial problems that led to hiring freezes and layoffs.

Advice to Management

Embrace ANCC's culture of bottom-up empowerment. There's a reason ANCC employees love their company and ANA employees are unhappy. I think ANA could be turned around by putting ANCC Magnet leaders in charge of high-level executive positions. Hire managers who are good at managing people. They don't need to be MBAs or nurses, they need to be good with people and inspire trust and loyalty.

7. "Member of the Organization"

I have been working at American Nurses Association full-time

Pros

Promoting the advancement of nurses across America.

Cons

Limited correspondence and lack of continuity in correspondence.

"Worst work environment I have ever been in"

I have been working at American Nurses Association full-time

Pros

Non-management staff are nice, committed and the high performers in the organization.

Cons

Leadership bullys their staff, they pretend to address issues by stating the issue then saying they dont see a problem, leadership throws their staff under the bus all the time and takes all the credit for the good work. Some of the directors are never around, take long lunch breaks, and do not respond to questions - leaving their staff to make decisions out of their hiring range.
    Staff do not trust HR or leadership to handle the bad work environment because people sense that it is about being friends with leadership and HR.

Advice to Management

You need a top down change. The organization is not doing well and there is a lot of turnover still, especially of the best employees.

"Buyer Beware"

I have been working at American Nurses Association full-time

Pros

Lot's of lunch options in walking distance.

Cons

Poor leadership. Hostile work environment. Zero accountability. Endless culture improvement training with no effect.

Advice to Management

Start with new leadership from the top and work down

"Never ending spiral downward."

Former Employee - Management in Silver Spring, MD
    Former Employee - Management in Silver Spring, MD

I worked at American Nurses Association full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

compensation is ok but the benefits are great

Cons

IT is on a never ending downward spiral towards failure!

Advice to Management

Look at the room problem in IT and get rid of the CIO and the of SPO.