American Optometric Association Reviews | Glassdoor

CEO

Sort: PopularRatingDate

"AOA"

I worked at American Optometric Association full-time

Pros

Overall, it was a good place to work. Decent pay, great benefits, fun activities for staff. The volunteers are wonderful and committed to the profession.

Cons

Some micromanaging; each board makes changes.

2. "Do not work here!"

Current Employee - Current Employee in Saint Louis, MO
    Current Employee - Current Employee in Saint Louis, MO

I have been working at American Optometric Association full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Location is nice, the building is new and there are dedicated volunteers who make it a better place.

Cons

If you are considering employment with this association, do yourself a favor and run. I can't comment on the Washington DC office, but I can on the St. Louis office. The St. Louis office is led by a completely incompetent Associate Executive Director. She doesn't have the training or knowledge to lead. She micromanages senior staff to the point of misery. (Which is passed down to the staff.) Morale is incredibly low and most employees have given up and do not respect leadership. It is a toxic and depressing place.

Advice to Management

Get rid of your St. Louis Associate Executive Director and bring in a person with the background, degree, and leadership to turn the place around.

3. "Associate Director"

I worked at American Optometric Association full-time

Pros

Location is close proximity to lots of local businesses and retailers. Small office.

Cons

Low employee morale and engagement, high turnover. Satellite office to HQ in St. Louis, therefore not as much support in the day to day operations.

"Very Little Value of the Working Staff"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Saint Louis, MO

I worked at American Optometric Association (More than 5 years)

Pros

Decent pay and benefits. Central location.

Cons

Having worked for this company for several years, I witnessed first hand that there was a definite totem pole/pyramid, and if you weren't at the top, your work was not valued. Those of us who did the "grunt" work were treated as expendable. Which we were; and are, given the recent uptick of layoffs over the last 2yrs. Frankly, I don't know how the place is still running. I agree thoroughly with the 2 of the other reviews which labeled the management as "the good old boys club."

There is a strong air of micromanagement. It's hard to feel as though you can grow at a company when you are constantly treated as a throw away who can't win for losing.

They routinely cut whole departments with little to no notice. Though I was being laid off, and not fired, I was made to come in one morning; got a phone call to report to HR, then walked out like a criminal, as they did with all other laid off staff.

Advice to Management

Start treating your staff as though they matter, and don't have to constantly be on alert for being laid off. Listen to those who lay the foundation by doing the daily work.

"Toxic Work Environment"

I worked at American Optometric Association full-time

Pros

Local co-workers and location are pros.

Cons

Toxic leadership, incapable of managing people and in constant competition with one another. Major disconnect between St. Louis office and Alexandria office.

Advice to Management

Telling people to just get along is not management.

"Coordinator-Level Professional"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Creve Coeur, MO
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Creve Coeur, MO

Pros

Decent salary. Great coworkers. Centrally located.

Cons

Terrible leadership. Sexist bordering on misogynistic. Old boys club.

"Executive Assistant"

Former Employee - Executive Assistant
    Former Employee - Executive Assistant

Pros

Few. I worked in my office all day long and processed tasks and paperwork. Very little interaction with coworkers. No office comraderie.

Cons

No training. Expected to be given a task and know how to do it. Told one priority and then criticized when other tasks took a little longer.

Expected to know everything with almost no explanation. Then, when mistakes are made, there was no understanding.

Not allowed to make a mistake, never given ANY feedback, no coaching or training, then perfection is expected.

Even speaking to supervisor, giving updates, following up, asking for clarification, taking initiative- will NOT help you.

Advice to Management

Associate Executive Director is a complete control freak. It is her way or the highway, literally. Even working very hard, trying your very best, is put under her microscope.

Unless you are capable of reading her mind and performing flawlessly without her communicating her expectations- you have no hope.

"Good place to work"

I worked at American Optometric Association full-time

Pros

Overall, an enjoyable workplace. Good people and benefits, and a good environment for self-starters. Good work/life balance--it's a nice place to work if you don't like to take your work home with you at night.

Cons

Rampant, unabashed cronyism by the most recent CEO. Turnover has been extremely high recently. Decision-making can take eons if it reaches the senior management level (which it usually does).

Advice to Management

The people who keep the lights on know what they're doing. Let them do their jobs and make more of their own decisions.

"Poor leadership at best."

Former Employee - Manager in Saint Louis, MO
    Former Employee - Manager in Saint Louis, MO

I worked at American Optometric Association full-time

Pros

Good work-life balance
    Nice people
    Flexible hours
    Good organization to learn and move on; quickly.

Cons

Leadership is very poor as is communication. Top down organization and vision constantly changing. Senior Management team is a disgrace which is part of the reason why the organization is failing. Performance reviews are outdated and although I cannot speak of every department, there are no organizational goals set to achieve promotions or advancement. Very low pay scale.

Advice to Management

Recognize staff talents and promote accordingly. Communicate with staff and provide ALL details from senior management meetings. Invite staff to senior management meetings to provide input. Promote more team centered events and meetings.

"Positive"

Pros

I thought the communication was rather good. There are lots company-sponsored food days. Extra holidays off. Closing at the mention of snow. My department was well-run and organized. More of a casual work environment.

Cons

I will have been here less than 2 years, so I haven't really encountered much to complain about. There's been lots of turnover lately, and the reason is unclear to me. Probably hard to get promoted, unless your immediate supervisor leaves.

Advice to Management

None