American Payroll Association Reviews | Glassdoor

Daniel Maddux

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "specialist"

I have been working at American Payroll Association full-time

Pros

Feels like a family enviroment

Cons

Pretty much down town traffic

May 22, 2018 – Human Resources Manager

We are glad to know that you feel like a part of our APA family, it is important to us that we foster a workplace that employees feel comfortable and welcome. We agree about the downtown traffic... More

2. "Management is Toxic"

I worked at American Payroll Association full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The time off is amazing ( A week off for Christmas!), the HR staff is the best, and people in most departments are really friendly.
    Lots of office parties, lots of free lunches, and they really do appreciate the Payroll Professionals and believe in helping promote payroll education.
    Health benefits were decent.

Cons

Pay is low and inadequate for the amount of work. Some departments are just two people, so the work load is seriously heavy and they don't allow over time in some departments.

The management tends to let their underlings take the fall for their mistakes and are not afraid to throw the people that work under them under the bus. Micromanaging is a huge problem.
    Management like to create monthly calendar to-do lists, but like to push deadlines up without informing you.

This is not a place where college graduates looking to build a meaningful career should work. It's perfect for those who are used to being corporate drones and used to not being heard.

Advice to Management

Every department needs to have an overhaul of the old APA ways and thinking processes. It's 2018 and everything, especially the people, is changing.

Stop micromanaging. You're killing everyone's livelihood. Stop throwing people under the bus for your own mistakes. Actually train your employees, and go get some training yourself. Give people raises and better pay. Stop dumping the work load onto one person or expand your departments.

Oct 16, 2018 – Human Resources Manager

Thank you for your feedback. We are happy to know that you were able to enjoy the generous paid holidays, benefits and the great workplace culture we have worked hard to build (and continue to work... More

3. "No Upward Mobility"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Antonio, TX

I worked at American Payroll Association full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Christmas week off with pay and no effect on PTO, frequent office parties, very little OT, if any, free sodas in break room.

Cons

Very little training, if any, no upward mobility, less than average pay, slow time off accrual, boring stretches of time, small pay raises.

Advice to Management

There must be a standardized program to train new hires properly on company operating system, educational product offerings, and company website. To not have something, even semi formal, in place is asking for trouble for new hires. You cannot expect new hires to succeed without proper and adequate training coming from burned-out employees who show little interest in their own jobs.

Sep 13, 2018 – Human Resources Manager

Thank you for your feedback. We would like to discuss and understand your experience. Please contact our HR Manager to share details to aid in our continuous improvement efforts.

4. "Stay far away from this toxic environment filled with zombies"

I worked at American Payroll Association full-time

Pros

None that I can even think of.

Cons

Horrible micromanaging, very low pay, terrible health insurance, stultifying work.

May 14, 2018 – Human Resources Manager

"Enjoyed Every Day of it!"

Former Employee - Business Analyst in San Antonio, TX
    Former Employee - Business Analyst in San Antonio, TX

I worked at American Payroll Association full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great company to work for. Really felt like you were around family. Great work/life balance, they allowed me to take ownership of my work, without micromanaging me. The company really cares for its people, and upper management was great to me.

Cons

I can't really think of a downside worth mentioning. They try their best to make it a great place to work and actually care about feedback.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you're doing. Great place!

May 14, 2018 – Human Resources Manager

Thank you for your review! We really do try to maintain a friendly and inclusive workplace, this is what we feel has contributed to APA being named a top place to work in San Antonio 5 times!

6. "Great company with lots of growth potential"

I have been working at American Payroll Association full-time

Pros

Great Company with lots of opportunities to improve your skills!

Cons

Working for a non-profit there is always the worry about the bottom line, so change can be slow with implementation of new technology.

May 14, 2018 – Human Resources Manager

Thank you for your review and for recognizing APA’s commitment to our employee's training and development! APA has heavily invested in new technologies and hire staff to support the new platforms... More

7. "Work Hard, Have Fun"

Current Employee - Marketing Support Specialist in San Antonio, TX
    Current Employee - Marketing Support Specialist in San Antonio, TX

I have been working at American Payroll Association full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Paid leave for most holidays
    Lots of paid time off
    Quick sick time accrual
    Great atmosphere to work in
    Lots of free lunches
    Good benefits

Cons

Longevity of employees means little chance of advancement
    Pay less than average for higher skill positions
    Slow to change or innovate

May 14, 2018 – Human Resources Manager

Yes! We work hard and play hard; in fact, fun is one of APA’s core values. Thank you so much for your review!

"Good work / bad pay"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Antonio, TX

I worked at American Payroll Association full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

love the staff; good work environment; mostly rewarding work (but upper management will take credit for your hardwork)

Cons

worked multiple positions at the same time for many years but when inquired about an increase was told it was not in the budget. When I left, they gave the person that replaced me more money with only being with them for a very short amount of time.

Advice to Management

review your salaries. many employees do more than just their job - but do not get rewarded

May 14, 2018 – Human Resources Manager

Thank you for your feedback. Although we are very happy to know you had a great work environment and coworkers we would like to discuss and understand your experience better. Please contact the HR... More

9. "Underrated"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Antonio, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Antonio, TX

Pros

Great People, Benefits, Very Family Friendly, I enjoy coming to work everyday. Best job I've ever had.

Cons

None really, this place is as good as you make it, Some of the negative reviews I notice are not about the San Antonio office, which is a solid place to work. Compensation could be higher, but money is not everything. Can't put a price on work/life balance.

May 14, 2018 – Human Resources Manager

Thank you for your review and for being on our team! We strive to provide our employees with work flexibility, work/life balance, along with affordable and rich benefits.

"Not a good place for Generation Xers"

I worked at American Payroll Association full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great people at APA, it is like a family, the benefits are rely generous for a small company.

Cons

No work life balance. Management has little to know idea of day to day operations. Some senior directors run other business while working at APA.

Values are not practiced and Mission is very vague.

Advice to Management

Evaluate your leadership and embrace Generation X employees.

May 22, 2018 – Human Resources Manager

APA works hard to maintain a diverse group of employee’s and is proud to have dedicated people on our team who represent almost every age group and generation. We are also proud to say that over... More