American Payroll Association Reviews | Glassdoor

Daniel Maddux

1. "Work Hard, Have Fun"

Current Employee - Marketing Support Specialist in San Antonio, TX
    Current Employee - Marketing Support Specialist in San Antonio, TX

I have been working at American Payroll Association full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Paid leave for most holidays
    Lots of paid time off
    Quick sick time accrual
    Great atmosphere to work in
    Lots of free lunches
    Good benefits

Cons

Longevity of employees means little chance of advancement
    Pay less than average for higher skill positions
    Slow to change or innovate

"Good work / bad pay"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Antonio, TX

I worked at American Payroll Association full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

love the staff; good work environment; mostly rewarding work (but upper management will take credit for your hardwork)

Cons

worked multiple positions at the same time for many years but when inquired about an increase was told it was not in the budget. When I left, they gave the person that replaced me more money with only being with them for a very short amount of time.

Advice to Management

review your salaries. many employees do more than just their job - but do not get rewarded

3. "Underrated"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Antonio, TX

Pros

Great People, Benefits, Very Family Friendly, I enjoy coming to work everyday. Best job I've ever had.

Cons

None really, this place is as good as you make it, Some of the negative reviews I notice are not about the San Antonio office, which is a solid place to work. Compensation could be higher, but money is not everything. Can't put a price on work/life balance.

"Not a good place for Generation Xers"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Antonio, TX

I worked at American Payroll Association full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great people at APA, it is like a family, the benefits are rely generous for a small company.

Cons

No work life balance. Management has little to know idea of day to day operations. Some senior directors run other business while working at APA.

Values are not practiced and Mission is very vague.

Advice to Management

Evaluate your leadership and embrace Generation X employees.

"Manager"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

I worked at American Payroll Association (More than 8 years)

Pros

Benefits, location, supportive team; experiential learning

Cons

Poor Leadership; gossipy management that is overly concerned with the employees personal lives

Advice to Management

focus on what is important rather then who is the most popular

"Dream job to start, but the cons started to outweigh the pros after several years. Egos definitely got in the way."

Former Employee - Middle Management in San Antonio, TX
    Former Employee - Middle Management in San Antonio, TX

I worked at American Payroll Association full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Incredible benefits and salary. Great inter-office experiences and support, as well as multiple travel opportunities and excellent interaction with members of the association. "Congress", though stressful, always the highlight of the year. Great vacation and leave policies, as well as yearly salary increases truly based on actual performance and not on seniority or favoritism.

Cons

Work-life balance can be a bit skewed and quite demanding for middle management. Some exempt employees are expected to pull off miracles after months and months of planning for certain events. Lots of upper management dropping the ball to be picked up at the last minute by middle management which often resulted in cost overruns which could have been easily projected had the upper management personnel been tuned in and paying attention. Lots of wasteful spending on certain "creature comforts" for upper management.

Advice to Management

Remember that employees are people too, and not just another person who gets a weekly paycheck. Engage and TRULY listen.

"An interesting company, to say the least..."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I worked at American Payroll Association full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good name recognition amongst payroll and tax professionals; standard work hours - if you could afford it, you could maintain a good work-life balance

Cons

If you are not a sales-oriented individual, it could be difficult to get into the spirit with regards to their annual APA Congress. Also, nearly all employees are older people who are content at their roles (not evident that they were interested in career advancement or change) and there is little room for advancement. Not sure what the average pay is for similar education non-profits, but salaries and bonuses were shockingly low (even for my entry level position). Lots of gossiping about fellow employees and their personal lives (possibly due to the small number of employees).

Advice to Management

Pay more and recruit more lively people who are interested in making the work enivornment more stimulating.

9. "Pleasantly Surprised!!!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Antonio, TX

I have been working at American Payroll Association full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The benefits are OUTSTANDING, coming from a different company to APA reduced my insurance deduction by about $300 (Saving me $600+ a month) that is only the medical. The company has offered me PAID Short and Long Term disability insurance as well as Life Insurance.... To me these benefits FAR EXCEED my expectations. I have observed that to succeed at APA you absolutely have to work hard, this isn't they type of company where you can "float by." Great Work-Life balance, beautiful building to work in every day, catered lunches are served a couple times a week, paid downtown parking, free drink bar (sodas, coffee, tea). I love my boss- gives clear directions and expectations are clear as well.

Cons

I don't have any Con's. Other than regular challenges that you might encounter at any company or any job that requires you to work with others.

Advice to Management

Keep up the great benefit offerings and thanks for understanding that work-life balance is so important to us!

American Payroll Association Response

Sep 5, 2014 – Human Resources Manager

Wow! We are glad you are on our team and thanks for the comment (we are blushing over here).

"A very mediocre workplace that will bore you to tears"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Antonio, TX

I worked at American Payroll Association full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Beautiful building. Good close parking as long as you get there early enough. Unless you are a workaholic, pretty good place for work-life balance. Some senior directors great to work for and with! Good benefits.

Cons

Very low pay and very limited opportunities for advancement. Many departments seem too content to maintain a "but this is how we've always done it" attitude. Many employees are very clique-ish. HR support was disappointing because I never felt comfortable about filing a complaint against another employee who was routinely abusive over emails.

Advice to Management

Figure out how to pay your employees better. The salaries are just laughable. Don't be so afraid to try new things. Find a way to fix the culture of procrastination.

"Good employer, advancement opportunities, nice benefits"

Current Employee - Director in San Antonio, TX
    Current Employee - Director in San Antonio, TX

I have been working at American Payroll Association full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

A fun and rewarding workplace. I'm constantly challenged with new and different projects. The benefits are good including a high quality health care plan, SEP retirement plan fully funded by the employer, 401(k). Vacation time is generous. Workplace flexibility is a common practice with many telecommuters on staff. The environment is professional, yet fun.

Cons

Working downtown can be challenging, although free parking is provided. The workload can sometimes be overwhelming.