American Pharmacists Association Reviews | Glassdoor

Found 15 reviews

3.5
Thomas E. Menighan
  1. Featured Review

"A Positive Culture & Passionate People"

I have been working at American Pharmacists Association full-time

Pros

One of the things I enjoy most about working at APhA is the culture. I'm surrounded by many hard-working staff members who are genuinely passionate about fulfilling our company's vision and making strides in healthcare. I'm able to enjoy a very flexible work policy, I feel valued, and I'm very fulfilled in my day-to-day worklife, which is extremely important. Overall, I can honestly say I feel empowered in my job and...

Cons

Like any association, APhA is always doing it's very best to accomplish a lot with a little. Although there are times where it seems like there is a lot of work to be done, the upper management at APhA are really great about setting reasonable expectations. If you're skilled at your job and transparent with your workload and capacity, you will be happy in your job here.

Advice to Management

Continue to help foster collaboration between the different departments... I've already seen great strides in this area!

American Pharmacists Association2018-10-04

November 5, 2018Associate Director, Recruitment

Thank you for your feedback. As one of our core values, collaboration, we are actively working to infuse this value throughout the organization at all levels.

2. "Administrative"

I worked at American Pharmacists Association full-time

Pros

Worked with good people. Everyone was knowledgeable and committed to helping the profession. Enjoyed my time there. Great location.

Cons

Do not have any cons.

American Pharmacists Association2018-10-04

November 5, 2018Associate Director, Recruitment

Thank you for your feedback, we are pleased to hear that the staff’s passion for our mission is reflected in the office.

"Not great"

I have been working at American Pharmacists Association full-time

Pros

The employees (non-management) are good to work with.

Cons

The organization has a long way to go in terms of showing respect for its employees. The HR department is unorganized and often makes up policies as needed to deal with issues. A lot of money goes into hiring upper management, but that is not true for coordinator or manager-level positions.

Advice to Management

Respect your ALL of your employees.

American Pharmacists Association2018-07-18

November 5, 2018Associate Director, Recruitment

Thank you for your feedback. HR has spent the last few months updating polices and creating a new communications site where all employees can access them as needed. To, remain competitive and successful, and to meet specific desires of APhA’s Board, we have made and continue to ...

"Look elsewhere, there are way better places to work!"

Current Employee - Manager in Washington, DC

I have been working at American Pharmacists Association full-time for more than 2 years

Pros

I'm trying hard to think of pros here. The only that come to mind are easy highway access or proximity to the mall if lunch time runs appeal to you.

Cons

Plagued by discrimination and old school mentality (micromanagement and bullying of staff). Save yourself time and grief and work anywhere else in DC. There are much better employers in DC that actually value diversity and inclusion. Not the case with APhA.

Advice to Management

You need to take a good look and the way you operate and not be afraid of evolving with the times.

American Pharmacists Association2017-10-31

November 5, 2018Associate Director, Recruitment

Thank you for your feedback. We are committed to creating a comfortable, transparent and collaborative environment for all of our employees; the HR department strives to address all reported incidents of discrimination. As one of our Core Values, we define Respect as “promoting ...

"Employer evaluation"

I have been working at American Pharmacists Association full-time

Pros

Staff are focused on mission for the organization and profession giving meaning to their work. People are good to work with.

Cons

As with most organizations with passion you could always use more resources.

Advice to Management

Keep focus on priorities

American Pharmacists Association2017-08-04

November 5, 2018Associate Director, Recruitment

Thank you for your feedback. APhA is actively working to increase and /or reorganize resources to better meet organizational needs.

"APhA - Great People and Great Mission"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

I have been working at American Pharmacists Association full-time

Pros

The talent and comraderie of APhA's staff; flexible work arrangement; opportunity to impact pharmacist's role in advancing patient care

Cons

Organizational effectiveness is one area needing attention.

Advice to Management

Focus on refining strategic direction and strategic planning

American Pharmacists Association2016-10-28
  7. "On a mission with high quality, motivated teams"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

I have been working at American Pharmacists Association full-time for more than 9 years

Pros

A nonprofit with a great mission to improve medication use. A respectful, caring and productive workplace

Cons

Challenged to meet high expectations

Advice to Management

Continue to see greater focus

American Pharmacists Association2016-07-13

"A Mixed Internship Experience"

Former Employee - Intern in Washington, DC

I worked at American Pharmacists Association

Pros

Being able to say I interned in Washington, D.C. in the same building as the State Dept. was a plus. The work environment is very quiet and orderly. Most people I was in contact with were very friendly and cooperative as far as working with you on projects. From an intern's perspective, they were very interested in me getting experience from the position.

Cons

2012 was the time of the website redesign so everything was a little chaotic, which accounts for some of my negative experiences. That said, there were workflow problems--my tasks would be spread out and then suddenly a bunch of things would need to be finished. Communication was also a big problem--getting in touch with supervisors was sometimes difficult, and I didn't always hear from them as quickly as I wanted to.

American Pharmacists Association2016-01-14

"Past employee (5-10 year history)"

I worked at American Pharmacists Association

Pros

Pros would be the work/life balance, which the organization strives for... some employees are granted a work from home day each week. Additionally, the building is very nice and comfortable to work in. The majority of employees are always extremely respectful and great to work with.

Cons

Almost every year it's doom and gloom come budget season, and each department is feared into tightening up the bootstraps... or we could face going deep into the red... which many employees fear could mean loss of jobs... or at the very least - loss of a potential bonus for staff. This comment is likely the lesser of the issues. More importantly, the organization has gone through changes in departmental leadership......

Advice to Management

You need to pick your main focus area for improvement and put more into that one thing. There were too many initiatives... too many new toys (tools, software, etc) for staff to learn... all these things were thrown into staff's laps... while under-staffed... trying to keep heads above water... improving from years past... and this really stressed out your staff.

American Pharmacists Association2015-12-24

"Senior UI/Graphic designer"

Current Employee - Senior Graphic/UI Designer in Washington, DC

Pros

I was able to change hats between User Interface, Branding, Web Development and other technology projects that was great experience.

Cons

The commute to foggy bottom daily is long and tiring.

Advice to Management

It would be a great work place if our chief concern is the end user, not about how much of each managers feedback is implemented in the end product.

American Pharmacists Association2015-12-24