American Printing House for the Blind Reviews | Glassdoor

American Printing House for the Blind CEO Craig Meador
Craig Meador
  1. "Changes"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Louisville, KY

I have been working at American Printing House for the Blind full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Amazing cause, exciting growth, and wonderful history. While other long-standing institutions may rest on their laurels APH is working hard to reach more people and have a bigger impact.

Cons

Seems to be some internal growing pains. Typical non-profit salaries but seems standard.

Advice to Management

Keep communication open, don't recreate the silos that we've been fighting so long to break down. Stay humble.

American Printing House for the Blind2019-03-12

"An incredible company with an awesome mission has become lost in the weeds."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Louisville, KY

I worked at American Printing House for the Blind full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Salary and benefits are good for a non-profit company, positive mission, most workers are truly passionate and dedicated, relaxed dress code, some of the managers encourage personal development and growth, decent opportunities for advancement in some areas of the company

Cons

Unfortunately, the organization seems to be losing sight of its mission while trying to expand and grow more quickly than is possible with existing staff. Bringing in new staff is great, but not at the expense of continuing to lose long-term staff at an exponential rate due to an extreme lack of leadership. There is an extreme lack of trust in leadership at the moment, and rather than attempting to address it,... they are just pushing out anyone who doesn't completely agree with the new direction. The fact that the industry of this company is now listed as "Advertising and Marketing" speaks volumes about direction things have turned.

Advice to Management

Practice what you preach. Communication, transparency, and trust are severely lacking right now. You were give one directive when coming aboard several years ago which was "You have a good thing going and staff who care. Don't mess it up." You've failed to follow that advice and have lost a lot of incredible staff who were the heart and soul of the company. It is never too late to turn things around. Remind yourself... of the mission and the purpose of the Act to Promote the Education of the Blind. Do not jeopardize what so many people before you worked so long and hard to protect. Slow down. Think and then act. Be willing to listen. Put quality above quantity. Regain the trust of your staff and your customers by demonstrating that you respect them and have their best interests in mind.

American Printing House for the Blind2019-05-17

"Toxic"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Louisville, KY

I worked at American Printing House for the Blind full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Salary, Coworkers, Lenient Dress Code

Cons

Disrespectful and Disorganized and Disingenuous

Advice to Management

What used to be a great place to work became a company where corporate wannabes took over leadership. The reason APH, a nonprofit, was established in the first place 160 years ago has been essentially lost in an arrogant, unthought-through attempt to be "big business." When I left, tried-and-true procedures were being dismantled, and nothing substantial was there to replace them. Time, energy, and money were being... funneled into image and appearance at the expense of our products and services. There was little sense of, or respect for APH's history and the talents old employees had. We were frequently not given what was required to do our jobs, then we were berated for trying to complete tasks correctly even as our needs were ignored. Employees were blamed for being resistant to change, but we just wanted more attention to be given to APH's mission, and to be heard and respected for what we had to offer.

American Printing House for the Blind2019-04-15
  4. "Coordinator"

I have been working at American Printing House for the Blind full-time

Pros

Kind and passionate environment working toward amazing goals for those who are blind and visually impaired.

Cons

pay isn't great but hard to be picky with a non-proft.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you're doing - listening to employees and fostering a safe place for growth.

American Printing House for the Blind2018-09-04

"Used to be a great place to work, not so much now"

I worked at American Printing House for the Blind full-time

Pros

Extremely nice and down to earth coworkers -- family-like environment

Cons

APH used to be a great place to work. I was hoping with the new president things would become even better, but now they're more strict than ever and definitely have taken on a more corporate type of environment. People who have dedicated decades to the place are getting fired. It seems they care more about tardiness and attendance than employee needs.

Advice to Management

How about instead of getting stricter, you try getting with the times by offering a more flexible work environment and allow employees independence and trust? Employees thrive when management has confidence in them and when their needs are being met. How does management not know this? Micromanagement will always lose - with your quickly declining reputation, you're losing great talent and dedicated employees. If... attendance is down, ask why - offer solutions like more vacation time, or flexible work times. APH is known for being old fashioned and I'm afraid you aren't improving in this regard.

American Printing House for the Blind2018-03-07
  6. "Great Company"

Current Employee - Customer Service Specialist

I have been working at American Printing House for the Blind full-time for less than a year

Pros

competitive pay, great benefits, and really nice, close knit company. They really care about you

Cons

I do not have anything bad to say about this company.

American Printing House for the Blind2018-01-10
  7. "Great mission, great place!"

I have been working at American Printing House for the Blind full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Has a great mission and does what needs to be done in a small segment of the economy. Without the American Printing House for the Blind, there wouldn't be a company willing to take the risks, make the investments, and push the field further and further. The segment of the population that is blind is very low and most of that segment is unemployed. The unemployment rate is a tragedy in its own right but it leads to... the economic incentive being very low when it comes to innovation. While a lot of companies in this field are pushing the same products at the same high prices, APH is doing everything it can to bring down costs and to bring innovation to this field. I am both happy and proud to come to work for this wonderful organization everyday. The culture is great! People are treated with respect and judged on their merits. I started at a relatively low position in the company and have moved up quickly. They have recognized my abilities as an employee and rewarded me appropriately. I feel that I will climb further still.

Cons

Pay could be better but is competitive for a non-profit.

American Printing House for the Blind2017-11-10
  8. "Wonderful people, wonderful place to work!"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Louisville, KY

Pros

Wonderful people, wonderful work and purpose when my work was to help students and people, who are legally or totally blind, live more rewarding lives with the assistance of APH educational materials/products, reading materials and devices.

Cons

Salary is better in a corporate world, but the job itself is much more rewarding.

Advice to Management

Keep up the awesome work to improve others' lives.

American Printing House for the Blind2017-11-05

"Advancing Depends on Who You Are"

I worked at American Printing House for the Blind full-time for less than a year

Pros

Great mission. Rich history. Positive impact on a lot of lives.

Cons

Obscene salaries for some. Pretty disgusting for a charitable non profit. It’s all publicly available information on guidestar.com. Charities have to report the salaries of their top paid employees on their IRS 990. Not many women or other minorities in top positions. Inflexible work environment.

Advice to Management

Diversify your culture. Show some flexibility and loyalty to your veteran employees. Share the wealth...pay everyone a good wage.

American Printing House for the Blind2017-11-11

"Where Blind School Administrators Go To Retire..."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Louisville, KY

I worked at American Printing House for the Blind full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

The bar is low—APH won’t work you to death. Paid holidays, on site cafeteria, close parking,

Cons

APH likes to market itself to be saving the world one blind student at a time and to offer revolutionary products, but this is far from the truth. Yes, you will be “helping” people, but you will be doing it in a terribly inefficient way. My 3 Problems with APH: 1. APH takes a huge chunk of federal money that is supposed to go to special ed. teachers' spending accounts to subsidize bloated "product research"... departments, bizarrely unionized antique production areas, and some really questionable programming like Braille prison programs or trips for half of the research leadership team to go to a conference in Germany to man a tiny booth. When federal money isn't being spent, they are using donor money, which is even worse, because the company sure isn't generating any profits (check out their form 990)-- in other words, maybe 1 cent of that dollar you donated is going to tangible books or products for blind kids. 2. At the end of the fiscal year there are literally MILLIONS of dollars in quota funds that go unspent. High-ranking special ed teachers from each state are issued an account of money from the federal government that can only be spent at APH-- literally, they can have anything in the catalog, all they have to do is go to the trouble of ordering it. APH can't even entice some of these teachers to take products for FREE! At the end of the fiscal year there's a big rush of spending on random items that sit in warehouses unused because teachers want to spend their money off before they lose it, rather than because they actually need/have a use for the product. Most of the stuff you make/develop will sit on a shelf rather than be used by a kid. 3. APH has been dragging the same tech product prototypes around to conferences for the past 2-3 years, but most of them are really far from actually being available for purchase and still have major problems (OrbitReader, Graffiti) . They're also really overblown (think BrailleBlaster). Once the tech products finally become available, the company has really abysmal supply chain management, and most of the customers will have to take a rain check before they can get one.

Advice to Management

Quit hiring former school administrators or high-ranking execs from other non-profits for the disabled to lead your organization. Yes, it makes sense for a few of them to be peppered around the research department, but running a school for the blind is a lot different from running a company. If APH is going to succeed you need someone with education, training, and skills in running a successful company--these are... the exact same skills that are needed for running a successful nonprofit organization.

American Printing House for the Blind2017-10-20