American Psychiatric Association Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

2.6
Norman B. Anderson

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "A solid association getting better"

Current Employee - Communications in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Communications in Washington, DC

I have been working at American Psychiatric Association full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Mission driven organization, a good deal of freedom and flexibility to innovate

Cons

Many competing priorities because of the member-centric nature

Advice to Management

Focus on a smaller set of priorities and communicate them broadly

2. "Not a place to work... Leadership is not transparent and go against their own workplace policies. Terrible culture."

I have been working at American Psychiatric Association full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

It used to be a wonderful place to work, new management has created a toxic culture in many divisions.

Cons

No open dialogue or communication. Management is completely out of touch with the culture they are breeding. Laying off many long time employees that have dedicated much of their life to an orgainzatino they loved.

Advice to Management

Do a climate survey and understand how bad their actions have made the culture of the organization. Look at APAs policies as to how to manage change and treat employees with respect. There is not open communication or a way for employees to voice concern.

3. "Love it."

I have been working at American Psychiatric Association full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Work is interesting and the member appreciation is gratifying.

Cons

Recent move and increased commute.

Advice to Management

Nothing to say right now.

"Many unhappy about office culture, low morale"

I have been working at American Psychiatric Association full-time

Pros

- near Rosslyn Metro
    - new offices at the Wharf in 2018
    - some great individuals to work with
    - department culture can help insulate from *some* of the organizational issues. Staff members with great department leadership enjoy coming to work. Negativity comes from outside department.
    - mental health and psychiatry are very important -- opportunity to be a great organization to work for

Cons

- lots of people are very unhappy about office culture, low morale. Lots of people leaving because of this.
    - budget cuts, no raises for regular staff, but rumors of excessive spending for other things like senior staff salaries
    - monotonous work
    - leadership not very open to new ideas or different perspectives
    - micromanagement
    - lack of understanding and respect for what individuals bring to the organization
    - people start and leave within months

Advice to Management

Practice what you preach. Lots of talk about making it a better workplace, but it doesn't seem likely to happen with current effort. Outside counsel is sorely needed.

"Editor"

Pros

Mental health awareness & education

Cons

Leadership is ruthless & treat staff horribly

Advice to Management

Create a better work environment

"APA"

I have been working at American Psychiatric Association full-time

Pros

Employees should never be bored

Cons

Management is disengaged from staff

"Terrible Leadership from CEO and a few underlings"

I worked at American Psychiatric Association full-time

Pros

Mental health issues are important - too bad yours is sacrificed.

Cons

Very little work life balance. The CEO has no idea how to run an organizations, and he is destroying the reputation of the APA. He micromanages chiefs and others under his purview. He is constantly focusing on the wrong details, and he has NO trust in over 75% of his leadership. Such distrust results in a culture of chiefs fighting for his approval. Only a few of the departments are led by competent chiefs who are not interested in TURF battles. A couple of chiefs should not even be in their positions - as they lack the requisite education needed to head up their department. A few positive reviews are from certain underlings who try to beef up the organizational score.

The only saving grace is that APA pays a little more than other medical specialty associations. However, the pay is not worth the discouraging culture in the organization which results in the high turnover in staff. Many of those in the organization are looking to jump ship.

They recently let go a large number of staff, but yet the CEO still has an inflated budget and CEO suite staff. The APA will never improve until they remove him and a couple of chiefs. He is quick to take credit for good work of others, and is quick to move out of the way once the **** hits the fan.

Run.

Advice to Management

Inform the Board or anyone who can help get rid of the CEO and certain leadership. Learn to motivate and encourage staff. Get a new head or the organization who does not need to work on his own ego and other issues through abuse of staff and distrust.

8. "Good Experience"

I have been working at American Psychiatric Association full-time

Pros

good experience with APA. Nice coworkers

Cons

benefits package could be better

9. "Enjoy my work and my team"

Current Employee - Director of Membership in Arlington, VA
    Current Employee - Director of Membership in Arlington, VA

I have been working at American Psychiatric Association full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I like most that I'm given the autonomy to own my work and try new things. Management is very supportive. Everyone there is genuinely passionate about mental health and supporting our members and their patients.

Cons

Not a ton of telework flexibility

"Well Shot of This Place"

I worked at American Psychiatric Association full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

My department, which was small, had wonderful esprit de corps, fostered through mutual respect and a willingness to allow the individual employee the autonomy to pursue new ideas and new ways of working. As our mission was somewhat independent of the larger membership focus, we were unique in our effectiveness and relative happiness. Nevertheless and despite the collegiality of our small program...

Cons

...the Executive team was not simply incapable of effective organizational management. They were aggressively wrong-headed. Lack of dot.org experience was exacerbated by their unflagging attempts to impose the rules and order that they learned in their time in DC and federal government slots. Rule-making to the lowest common denominator may be a necessary evil in massive organizations, but it borders on the ridiculous in a +/- 200 person shop. Rules are implemented to solve problems that don't exist; and problems are created by ridiculous new rules that are introduced.

The top managers are aloof and haughty until this is pointed to them, after which they struggle to rise to the level of simple but regular insincerity. Which leads me to my advise to management...

Advice to Management

...throw it in. Admit your cluelessness. Move on to someplace more suited to your bureaucratic mindset or bring in coaches to help you understand how to work with actual people, rather than spreadsheet line items.