American Public University System Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

2.9
Dr. Wallace E. Boston

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Depending on your manager, you may have the opportunity to work from home at times (in 19 reviews)

• APUS has an incredible work life balance (in 8 reviews)

Cons
  • Low pay, company internal culture is changing (in 10 reviews)

• I was told full time also have to conduct research (in 9 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Great benefits!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Charles Town, WV
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Charles Town, WV

I have been working at American Public University System full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Great benefits, flexibility, employee-friendly culture, opportunities to advance and learn new things. Free tuition for employees and discounted tuition for family members!

Cons

Different expectations and standards from department to department can create challenges ; communication across departments could improve.

Advice to Management

More communication from the top will help employees feel connected to the organization.

2. "Associate Professor"

Current Employee - Associate Professor in Nowhere, OK
    Current Employee - Associate Professor in Nowhere, OK

I have been working at American Public University System full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great working environment with a lot of autonomy and flexible schedule. Excellent managers in the school of business

Cons

Many projects and tasks outside of teaching along with a heavy teaching load

Advice to Management

Have content experts or vendors work with professors to update and renew courses instead of putting this on the professor or reduce the teaching load so there is more time for the other projects outside of the classroom.

"Spiraling company, and not upward"

I have been working at American Public University System full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Fair and equitable compensation for most positions other than IT, Ethically sound for-profit online University, Dedicated service to the military and public safety communities.

Cons

Company has become stagnant and overly risk adverse. APUS is publicly traded and the CEO is not innovative in the technology or education/training acquisition spaces. Stock price hovers right at IPO price even after 11 years. There exists a pervasive attitude toward filling senior leadership roles with those who have past or personal connections to the CEO and/or to members of the Board of Directors. IT operations are mediocre because the organization does not offer competitive compensation for top IT talent. Long time employees (10 years or more) are devalued and are frequently passed over for promotion in favor of new, outside hires. New and potentially innovative projects are derailed by a highly risk adverse attitude.

Advice to Management

Become more aggressive concerning potential acquisitions and new lines of business to help increase shareholder value. Invest more in IT innovation and competitive compensation for IT talent. Change a pervasive risk adverse approach to new projects and lines of business with a "can-do" attitude. Extend greater recognition and respect for longer tenured employees who have valuable knowledge of institutional history and continue to be dedicated to success of the organization. CEO is a ghost and should be more visible to company staff.

"Too many people quit and too many changes."

I have been working at American Public University System full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good Pay
    Great Travel Time
    Good Staff

Cons

Horrible Retention Rate
    Too many changes

5. "Pretty Great Company"

I have been working at American Public University System full-time

Pros

My direct manager is wonderful, company seems to care about employees, having monthly birthday parties and other ways to try and recognize workers

Cons

Pay is just too low

Advice to Management

There is almost no upward movement available. Open up some jobs to entry level managment in places other than on phones.

"Online Adjunct Review"

Current Employee - Online Teacher in Charles Town, WV
    Current Employee - Online Teacher in Charles Town, WV

I have been working at American Public University System part-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

This is a good online school to work for because of the support they offer as well as the ongoing training. They clearly communicate who your contact person is when you need to speak to someone.

Cons

There are none that I can identify.

Advice to Management

There is no advice that I have to offer.

"Adjunct Instructor"

Former Employee - Learning and Development Professional in Charles Town, WV
    Former Employee - Learning and Development Professional in Charles Town, WV

I worked at American Public University System part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Can work virtually from anywhere, any time.
    Felt supported by management and support teams.
    Felt like I really helped students grow.

Cons

As a for-profit school, it seemed like we were expected to err on the side of customer service rather than academic excellence, which I felt did an injustice to some learners. Pay was a bit low considering the time commitment to teach courses online.

Advice to Management

Good business model, find that tricky balance between profit and education.

8. "Love coming to work every day!"

I have been working at American Public University System full-time

Pros

Great atmosphere to work. Supportive management. Friendly co-workers and employees. Lots of choices for benefits.

Cons

Benefit cost is a little high. Communication is lacking from the executive leadership.

Advice to Management

Communicate more. Employees need to know the direction they are going in to better support the company.

"Some improvements made, but not pay!"

Current Employee - Full Time Faculty in Remote, OR
    Current Employee - Full Time Faculty in Remote, OR

Pros

Since I last reviewed the school a year ago, my department has been overhauled (new Program Director and Faculty Director). I'm feeling a lot more supported, although my work load has increased (primarily with curriculum redesign projects). My new PD has actually been able to make some changes in my scheduled classes, whereas my previous PD was empathetic, but my schedule was never altered and the overload continued.

Cons

To expect full-time faculty to be engaged in courses at least four days per week (including one weekend day), grade in 5 days (but they really want it done in three), do Office Hours, chase absent students, resdesign up to 5 courses, and somehow still find time to research and present/publish is insanity. And I did not receive one single penny in terms of a raise for 2017. Not one penny. Disconcerting to say the least. I fear for the future of APUS. They are scrambling to make the university seem legit to reviewers, but they are killing us in the process. And we certainly are not sharing in the profits.

Advice to Management

You've got to put your money where your mouth is. If you want to keep quality faculty, you've got to lighten the load and pay us appropriately.

"You don't want to work here"

Current Employee - Faculty in Miami, FL
    Current Employee - Faculty in Miami, FL

Pros

Some flexibility with work schedule if you have family.

Cons

I'm a 5 year faculty member. The university requires faculty teach an unmanageable 450 students per year. This means you are teaching 4-6 classes at anyone time on a monthly basis. Imagine having to manually markup (grade) 90-100 essays in 5 days after a course week ends. Now imagine having to grade hundreds of discussions on top of that. Throw in hundreds of quizzes that need to be graded with substantive feedback? But that's not all. You also have to set up new classes two weeks before the go live (monthly). Finally, imagine also having to be a course lead on 4-5 other courses.

In the time I have been there, not once has the administration thanked faculty or in anyway motivated them. Not even a "We appreciate you".

They don't care about faculty. All the management wants is money. The CEO and senior leadership make millions when you factor in stock. Faculty are paid well below industry standards.

Expect to work 14-15 hour days, 6 days a week. It's a terrible place to work with very low employee morale. I was personally told by a program director to "keep your mouth shut. Get up earlier and work later."

Advice to Management

Senior Management needs to be realistic about faculty workloads. You can't have faculty teaching 450 students a year (100 a month) month after month with super high teaching standards and expect people to stick around.

Today, there's lots of players in the field of online education. Just offering cheap tuition isn't enough. You can't force faculty enthusiasm by cracking the whip down on them and treating people like widgets.

My advice? Rethink your mission and give your faculty the a reasonable workload (like 350 a year). Allow them to do what they do best - teach. Otherwise, you are going to hemmorage faculty and staff.

It should be illegal the way management treats faculty.