American Public University System Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

2.6
Dr. Wallace E. Boston

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "Work from home, flexibility in schedule, colleagues" (in 25 reviews)

• "Management understands work-life balance" (in 9 reviews)

Cons
  • "Low pay, company internal culture is changing" (in 13 reviews)

• "Some Travel and need PhD for full time work" (in 9 reviews)

"Solid place to work"

I have been working at American Public University System full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Flexible work environment, opportunities to work from home, depending on the department you're in you may have a great deal of autonomy. Lots of great people.

Cons

Changes are a constant, if you hate change, this is not the place for you.

Advice to Management

Focus on exceptional and over the top student support, and employee morale. Dedicate more team members to forward facing roles so we can better support our students.

2. "Pay is low."

I have been working at American Public University System full-time

Pros

You can teach online.

Cons

Workload is overwhelming.

Advice to Management

Take a look at the workload.

"Started out great"

Former Employee - IT Support in Charles Town, WV
    Former Employee - IT Support in Charles Town, WV

I worked at American Public University System full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Loved the atmosphere of the company

Cons

Things just started to go down hill. Management really started slipping

Advice to Management

Communication

"Lots of Pros, but also more and more Cons now"

I have been working at American Public University System full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

I'm trying to think of Pros that haven't been mentioned by others already yet, but I'll probably still end up echoing them anyway - sure, there is a great, solid benefits package, 401k, free tuition, remote work from home (a huge plus to be able to sleep in until right before work starts) etc. But this is also hands-down the best management and work environment I've been in - great bosses and great coworkers. They take ethics seriously here at APUS, too (which is something that couldn't be said for my previous employer, the one I worked for before coming to APUS.)

The work I do in my job is also fair, assessed fairly, not too stressful, and predictable enough that I don't have to worry about what I'll be doing the next day. It can be boring, but it's steady, calm, and not difficult. A great job for someone who likes stable security and low stress.

Management is also willing to think long-term. By implementing a new technological system one year, they were able to gradually reap huge benefits and greatly streamline work a year or two later (and for many years to come.) Made our jobs perhaps 15% easier.

If it weren't for the job location (management has become more restrictive about remote-work locations), I would want to work here my entire career, for decades, until the day I retired.

Cons

The company is rather spendthrift, spending many thousands of dollars on a needless fly-everyone-from-all-over-the-nation-together-for-a-big-meeting thing (to their credit, they only did it once and never again,) hiring an unnecessary wellness person to teach things like yoga and breathing, too often hiring new employees in a panicked rush to handle short-term problems when it could have been fixed simply by getting existing employees to work some paid overtime (would have been much cheaper,) building unnecessary facilities, etc. If APUS tightened its belt in a wiser and more surgical fashion, it could have freed up a significant amount of money and the company's finances would be in better shape.

Also, in some departments, it's all but impossible to get promoted. You could end up doing the same job for 5, 10 or even 15 years.

And senior management is sometimes quite cryptic; keeping lower-level employees in the dark about some things or making announcements that surprise or catch people off guard.

Advice to Management

Give salary raises of 3-4% instead of just 2% annually. Doing away with the bonuses was OK, but 2% is too little.

Stop spending money on unnecessary things. Don't be penny wise but pound foolish. And reduce the tuition rate back down to the GI Bill-reimbursed level, not a penny more. That was bad for student enrollment.

And although I'm not an adjunct professor, the adjunct profs should be paid more.

Other than that, you're doing great; this is still an A- workplace to be; a B+ at the very least.

"The integrity is gone"

Current Employee - Student Support Specialist in Charles Town, WV
    Current Employee - Student Support Specialist in Charles Town, WV

I have been working at American Public University System full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Telecommuting options for some departments, decent pay for the industry/ location

Cons

Very low morale across the board. No job security, continually increasing hours of operation, with forced, unannounced shift changes. N open all holidays and weekends with immense pressure to ‘volunteer’ to work holidays. Random and routine hiring freezes, promotion freezes and layoffs. Every day still being employed is truly a surprise.

Advice to Management

None at this point. You’ve done too much damage to repair the work environment. Outsource the under-staffed departments and merge with another institution already. That’s clearly the path we’re taking, though it hasn’t been communicated from management.

"Changing Scene"

Current Employee - Academic Advisor
    Current Employee - Academic Advisor

I have been working at American Public University System full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Many work benefits, generally a flexible schedule, and enjoyable coworkers. This does depend on department.

Cons

Executive changes influence front-line individuals, and the general atmosphere of professional development has diminished in the past 2 or 3 years. This again, does largely depend on the department. If you interview, I would suggest asking questions like "Does this department experience high turnover" and etc.

"Optimistic in IT"

Pros

After years of inadequate CIOs, the company has a CIO that is well qualified and already making a huge difference in just three months. He has years of issues and bad decisions to fix, so it will take time. The organization is lucky to have Patrik. I’m concerned the success of IT is dependent on keeping him on staff.

Cons

The previous CIO shared her political views with everyone in the company. If you disagreed with her, you were on her exit list. Those who agreed with her were protected. This, on top of not solving the IT or business issues, created a very unpleasant work environment.

Advice to Management

Keep the new CIO. Listen to his advice as he has great knowledge and experience.

"Leaving APUS in 2 Days"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Charles Town, WV
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Charles Town, WV

Pros

Aside from the tangible benefits which have been listed (ie. great employees, tremendous benefit package, and very comfortable working conditions) there's a layer not discussed. The Leaders, to include Dr Boston, truly care about their employees! In a time of crisis or need there's never a discussion of whether the university will look out for their own or not. It just happens! Why? Simply put, "because they care". Dr Boston has cultivated that environment. And the same applies for the student population. The intent and drive has always been "to support the needs of our student body". For any university employee -you can't ask for more! That's the pinnacle of success in terms of wanting to work with an institution of higher learning. APUS is a great university to work for and learn from!

Cons

Every organization has challenges and at times, not everyone will be comfortable with the outcomes. Too often I've read of employees leaving (for a variety of reasons) and apparently feeling the need to go out with a bang and post a few undesirable thoughts. I've had the privilege of working with APUS for almost 15 and a half years. At times I questioned 'things' but always kept the thought in mind "how am I accountable for any of this"? I've always asked myself "what am I doing to make a difference"? When you do this you may not always like the answer you find within. With this said, the negatives of this university are minimal. I think you would be hard pressed to find employment, anywhere, where everyone is always 100% happy.

Advice to Management

I know APUS will continue to excel. Rely on the 'best Leaders' and allow them to continue to shape the culture. Continue to make the focus on the students, as I know you will, and the keep the communication flowing to all employees.
    This has been a great 15+ years! I feel honored to have been a part of this!
    GV

"The culture has changed...not good"

Former Employee - Full Time Faculty in Manassas, VA
    Former Employee - Full Time Faculty in Manassas, VA

I worked at American Public University System full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Work from home, flexibility in schedule, colleagues

Cons

Pay, management, trust, overall leadership

Advice to Management

Be up front and informative. Don’t say one thing to turn around and go in the complete opposite direction. Don’t make a dept or committee do a lot of work to thenturn around and lay them off. Many years of hard work went into making a department the leaders of the university to then turn around and let them go. I hope you take notice of what made the university great and now that they’re gone you will see what’s missing.

"Not Great"

I have been working at American Public University System full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Remote capability
    Decent pay
    Insurance is good.

Cons

Upper management does not care about the employees. Employees are leaving left and right.
    Horrible work hours if you're on nights or weekends.

Advice to Management

Listen to your employees. They are unhappy!