American Public University System Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-time Part-time

2.9
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Dr. Wallace E. Boston

Pros
  • Work from home, rare online teaching position with full benefits (in 12 reviews)

• APUS has an incredible work life balance (in 8 reviews)

Cons
  • Low pay, not competitive with market (in 8 reviews)

• Reliance on full time faculty means that more students can be taught at a cheaper rate ( (in 6 reviews)

1. "a good way to work remotely"

I have been working at American Public University System part-time

Pros

Flexibility and working from home are the best benefits of this job. The students are engaging and interesting and are stationed all over the world. Of course, there is a range of ability and effort. My supervisors have always backed me up in plagiarism cases and they are quick to answer questions. There are useful professional development courses available to faculty.

Cons

Someone is financially benefiting, but it is not the instructors. There has been no pay raise in the 10 years I've been there. Full-timers seem overloaded by duties, and therefore course improvements are slow to take place.

2. "Great place to work."

Current Employee - Systems Administrator in Charles Town, WV
    Current Employee - Systems Administrator in Charles Town, WV

I have been working at American Public University System (More than 3 years)

Pros

The company care about it's employees.

Cons

There are long hours several times a month.

3. "Great people, great benefits, engaging work"

I worked at American Public University System full-time

Pros

Small company feel and remote work options

Cons

Extraordinary growth has led to reorganization and culture shift

Advice to Management

Communicate with staff

5. "Student-focused"

I have been working at American Public University System full-time

Pros

Smart, hardworking staff who have students' needs as focus

Cons

Silos, top-down management, communication lacks

"Too little understanding of educational work among executives and upper managers"

Current Employee - Assistant Professor
    Current Employee - Assistant Professor

I have been working at American Public University System full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Flexible work hours: it's very handy, being someone with young kids, to schedule my work around things like medical appointments and such

Flexible location: being able to live anywhere I can get a decent internet connection is great

Cons

Workload is too high, making burnout inevitable: I teach approximately twice as many students and twice as many courses per year as colleagues at non-profit, face to face universities. In addition, the constant cycling of course starts makes it hard to remember student names after a course ends, let alone truly see every student as an individual. After a while, the fact that I'm teaching the same classes over and over, and the fact that every set of students makes the same mistakes over and over gets extremely frustrating and makes teaching actually feel useless.

Pay is too low: I'm getting paid nearly $25K lower then other assistant professors with comparable experience

Isolation from colleagues: working remotely makes it hard to connect with colleagues even in the same department, and what little communication we have is within company view, and therefore feels anything but private

Upper management has an adversarial attitude: we're constantly under surveillance to make sure that we're meeting the required metrics (most of which are focused on appearance of quality rather than actual quality), and one of the higher-ups in my area apparently regards faculty as adversaries trying to cut corners and get away with stuff, rather than as professionals who are invested in their jobs. While my immediate supervisors have generally been wonderful people, the supervisors up a level from them have been problematic.

Upper management has little understanding of faculty as professionals and experts: this has not only led to the problems noted above, but also to inappropriate work assignments because they regard everyone with a particular degree as having the exact same knowledge base (not the case in higher ed, especially in fields that cover a very wide range of material). Even worse, when this inappropriate delegation has the easily predicted results, the faculty get blamed.

Advice to Management

Gain a better understanding of educational work, and find useful metrics to calculate appropriate workloads for faculty in different fields. Treat faculty like professionals instead of like naughty children who have to constantly be watched. If you don't trust us to do our jobs, you shouldn't have hired us in the first place.

"Skip it"

Pros

Lots of great co-workers who care about their positions.

Cons

Passive aggressive management all around.

8. "Great Company"

I have been working at American Public University System full-time

Pros

Minimal Commute, Positive Culture, and Supportive Colleagues

Cons

Less than national average pay

9. "Nice place to work"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Charleston, WV
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Charleston, WV

I have been working at American Public University System full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great work location in Charles Town, very nice facilities, good pay, great benefits, free education! Things can vary from department to department but the opportunities and support provided to me have been exceptional.

Cons

Sometimes limited opportunity for advancement due to limited turnover in management and thus limited openings

"Education is taking a back seat"

Current Employee - Adjunct Faculty

I have been working at American Public University System part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Flexible schedule. Interesting students. Pay is better than being an adjunct at my local community college.

Cons

As several other reviewers have said in the past month or two, the course content can be really bad. The students think they are getting an education, and sometimes, they are not. Management used to be interested in course quality, but with a change in management, that interest ended. Current management is also very rigid, which isn't compatible with responsive student-faculty interaction. I don't want to scam the students into thinking they are getting a college-level education when they aren't, so I might resign.

Current initiative to meet accreditation standards for HLC is creating a lot of administrative craziness. The focus is on getting any procedure in place to meet a standard, rather than considering what procedure will meet the standards and also provide for good educational outcomes.

Potential faculty take a training course from the professional development wing. There is apparently no communication between the people who teach the training course and the people who supervise the faculty, given how different the expectations are. The supervisors have much lower standards than the professional development folks and really do not expect you to exceed their lower standards.

Advice to Management

Focus on the product, which is education. It's the best way to improve the bottom line and to achieve accreditation.

"Leaves you alone to teach...too much sometimes."

Current Employee - Adjunct Faculty

I have been working at American Public University System part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Lots of flexibility within the prepared curriculum.

Cons

The prepared curriculum can be horrible. I have worked in classes that had materials that were just plain WRONG and spent the entire term trying to "fix" the curriculum, but that was just for my class. It would be reset to the default (wrong materials) for the next class.

Advice to Management

Have some oversight regarding who is preparing your courses! Recognize that paying instructors PER STUDENT disincentivizes the teaching of high engagement, low-enrollment classes.