American Public University System Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated December 2, 2017

1.0
Dr. Wallace E. Boston

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • The benefits are solid for a work-from-home position (all faculty are remote), and this does allow some flexibility (in 17 reviews)

• APUS has an incredible work life balance (in 8 reviews)

Cons
  • Low pay, company internal culture is changing (in 10 reviews)

• I was told full time also have to conduct research (in 9 reviews)

"No longer cares about hard working employees"

Current Employee - Front Line
    Current Employee - Front Line

I have been working at American Public University System full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Some remote work opportunities

Cons

Numbers focused , recent high attrition across departments. Zero opportunity for advancement, pay increases not proportional to work expectations.

Advice to Management

Back to basics. Treat employees with care you sill see results.

"Get out while you can"

I have been working at American Public University System full-time

Pros

Some co-workers make it a nice environment.

Cons

Changing leadership and policies have made working here unpleasant to say the least. Privileges and courtesies previously extended to employees have mostly been revoked. New extended hours were implanted with barely any notice inconveniencing everyone impacted. APUS clearly cares less and less about their employees and more and more about burning and churning new students. Fix the existing problems at hand, hire more staff and pay them better, and stop treating employees like a number.

Advice to Management

Stand up for your department.

"You don't want to work here"

Current Employee - Faculty in Miami, FL
    Current Employee - Faculty in Miami, FL

I have been working at American Public University System full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Some flexibility with work schedule if you have family.

Cons

I'm a 5 year faculty member. The university requires faculty teach an unmanageable 450 students per year. This means you are teaching 4-6 classes at anyone time on a monthly basis. Imagine having to manually markup (grade) 90-100 essays in 5 days after a course week ends. Now imagine having to grade hundreds of discussions on top of that. Throw in hundreds of quizzes that need to be graded with substantive feedback? But that's not all. You also have to set up new classes two weeks before the go live (monthly). Finally, imagine also having to be a course lead on 4-5 other courses.

In the time I have been there, not once has the administration thanked faculty or in anyway motivated them. Not even a "We appreciate you".

They don't care about faculty. All the management wants is money. The CEO and senior leadership make millions when you factor in stock. Faculty are paid well below industry standards.

Expect to work 14-15 hour days, 6 days a week. It's a terrible place to work with very low employee morale. I was personally told by a program director to "keep your mouth shut. Get up earlier and work later."

Advice to Management

Senior Management needs to be realistic about faculty workloads. You can't have faculty teaching 450 students a year (100 a month) month after month with super high teaching standards and expect people to stick around.

Today, there's lots of players in the field of online education. Just offering cheap tuition isn't enough. You can't force faculty enthusiasm by cracking the whip down on them and treating people like widgets.

My advice? Rethink your mission and give your faculty the a reasonable workload (like 350 a year). Allow them to do what they do best - teach. Otherwise, you are going to hemmorage faculty and staff.

It should be illegal the way management treats faculty.

"Slave labor with very bad leadership"

Current Employee - Faculty in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Faculty in Los Angeles, CA

Pros

The positive things that once applied no longer do.

Cons

I've been at APUS for 10 years. It used to be an innovative, fun environment where you wanted to teach. Over the past 5 years, that's gone.

Since January, I've been teaching over 100 students month after month after month. Harsh teaching requirements that require 12-15 hour days almost everyday. I'm a mom with a small child at home. I'm so busy that I don't even have time to be with her.

Last year I was unfortunate enough to have contracted the flu. When I called my program director to advise I was being admitted to the hospital with pneumonia, she literally said to me "You can still teach because most hospitals have Internet. Do you have a laptop?"

Speaking of program managers...

I've had 3 of them in the past five years because they all eventually quit. It's a good old boys club mentality. Look at senior management. How many are people of color? Maybe one?

Long term faculty that were once the brain trust of the school have left or are currently looking. Faculty aren't motivated and because they are managed by fear.

Students are dropping too because they can tell faculty have been turned into robots. APUS thinks if they just offer a cheap tuition rate, students will magically flock to them. At one time this may have been true but not anymore. There's just too many other schools out there now that are of higher quality at a similar price. Moreover, they're non profit schools.

I don't even remember the last time a faculty survey was sent out. The last time I asked, my current faculty director said management "doesn't want to read the negativity." That says a lot, don't you think?

I know others here have complained about the pay for faculty. I agree but also need to say things have reached a point that money alone won't fix . We're overworked to the point that is slave labor.

There has been some talk outside of the faculty lounge of a union. I sure hope that happens. I'd vote yes in a heartbeat.

Advice to Management

You've lost your way. Full time faculty shouldn't be teaching 5 and 6 classes at one time month after month like robots. Stop making faculty do the job of 3 and paying them for one. Thank your faculty at least once a year - a simple email goes a long way. Treat faculty like human beings.

This school is going to go the way of UOP if you keep it up. In fact, it might be too late.

"Nothing to see here"

Current Employee - IT Support in Charles Town, WV
    Current Employee - IT Support in Charles Town, WV

I have been working at American Public University System full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Flexible work hours and telecommuting.

Cons

Extreme top down management drives away the truly talented and innovative, leaving behind the mediocre and fearful. Employees are "encouraged" to offer new ideas that are ignored and then get labeled as trouble makers. If you are not in the CIO's personality cult, you're not going anywhere.

Advice to Management

Your middle management is substandard and suppressing your employees. Get rid of them.

"University...or Sweatshop?"

I worked at American Public University System part-time

Pros

Only the dedicated, hard-working faculty who give their best every day for students and in return are browbeaten and bullied by "leadership" (term used very loosely in this case)

Cons

--1,000s of rules like how many, where, what to post totally unrelated to teaching quality

--Furthermore, these rules change on a whim - even more appear suddenly at evaluation time - like faculty are just supposed to read their minds on what we are supposed to do,

--Poor quality assignments that are little more than regurgitate from the book; no critical thinking is expected of students,

--"Evaluations" of faculty lack credibility. You can do 999,999 things right on their ever-growing list of expectations. Miss the millionth and you will get the lowest possible score.

--Word has it that they want only very young employees whom they can mold more readily. Could it be that the above is a thinly disguised attempt to discriminate on the basis of age, to force out the long-standing faculty so that they can hire younger ones at lower pay?

Advice to Management

Why bother? In order to benefit from advice, one has to possess a modicum of leadership aptitude, not to mention ethics and integrity.

"No no no. From fab to bust with new leaders"

Former Employee - Instructor in Remote, OR
    Former Employee - Instructor in Remote, OR

I worked at American Public University System part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Health insurance and matching 401k
    Migrated to Sakai, a relatively straight forward system after you learn the tips and tricks
    The students (most) work hard

Cons

Management. A couple short years ago, instructors and adjuncts were analyzed on their teaching ability. I was told full time also have to conduct research. When I left, it was so micro managed and instructors were so attacked with passive-aggressive messages that many of us felt our jobs were constantly under threat.
    Faculty are evaluated on items they did not know they would be evaluated on
    Less emphasis on teaching than anything else.
    Cost cutting
    A lot of meetings even for adjuncts
    Pay is not very good anymore
    Management feels out to get you instead of in your corner to teach students. It's become very political and appears some folks are trying to prove their worth by firing people or getting people to resign, like me. Student count is down and management seems to be grasping at straws. The job became so depressing I had to go.

Advice to Management

There are specific "leaders" who have instituted these changes. They are not for the best and do not seem to be well meaning. Students lose when you micromanage. You will continue to get teachers but you won't get people who are invested like I was with this method.

"It's a good start."

Former Employee - Transfer Credit Evaluator in Manassas, VA
    Former Employee - Transfer Credit Evaluator in Manassas, VA

I worked at American Public University System full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Working from home kept me there for so long. I feel like some reviews are because they are still there and are trying to be positive. There is light at the end of the tunnel tho. A lot of light. Trust me!

Cons

The money definitely didn't keep me there. The pay is crazy crazy low. If you don't kiss a lot of butts you won't get promoted. I'm so so so so glad I left.

Advice to Management

They don't listen to employees at all even tho they always have an open session that lasts a full day. It is a for profit college and the employees make as much as a retail associate. Soooo where's the money???

"Associate professor"

Current Employee - Associate Professor
    Current Employee - Associate Professor

Pros

Distance work, enjoying teaching students

Cons

Very low pay, may be 30000 below than an Associate professor made in other colleges or universities. Work-load amount constantly increasing, but the salary is the same. last 6 years no pay raise.

Advice to Management

It is time to try to safe this place. Wake up!

"Instructor"

Current Employee - Instructor in Charles Town, WV
    Current Employee - Instructor in Charles Town, WV

I have been working at American Public University System full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Work from home. That's it.

Cons

Increasing workload with no increase in pay. No promotions. Raises only based on publishing, not based on job performance. There is no time to publish with the enormous workload. Things get getting worse. Micro-management is out of control. It's like being an indentured servant.