American Public University System Employee Reviews about "apus"

Updated Sep 14, 2020

3.2
American Public University System President Dr. Wade Dyke
Dr. Wade Dyke
Pros
  • "The ability to work from home and flex time throughout the week for occasional accommodation needs(in 31 reviews)

• "Remote job; free schooling if take APUS courses(in 26 reviews)

Cons
  • "Check all other schools’ reviews that are as large as APUS(in 33 reviews)

• "low pay, ever-increasing workloads, weekly log-in requirements could be burdensome(in 15 reviews)

Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.

Reviews about "apus"

Return to all Reviews

"A modern technology and higher education company in historic Charles Town, WV"

5.0
    Current Employee - Senior Military Assistance Specialist in Charles Town, WV

I have been working at American Public University System full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

APUS has grown steadily over the last decade, and so there are plenty of career opportunities covering all aspects of modern online higher education. Employees of APUS enjoy a substantial education assistance program that would support you in any of your personal or professional goals.

Cons

As health insurance premiums continue to rise each year across the country, APUS's health insurance plans are no exception. Premiums can be costly, especially for family plans.

"At least my job is remote"

2.0
    Current Employee - Higher Education

I have been working at American Public University System full-time

Pros

Remote job; free schooling if take APUS courses

Cons

Low Morale; Low Authentic Engagement; Unfair treatment among employees; Management needs an overhaul

"Bad Management"

2.0
    Current Employee - Adjunct Professor

I have been working at American Public University System part-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Enjoy the students and variety of courses that I teach overall.

Cons

No pay raises and management needs to know that some of the directors need to go. If you email them, they never email back. Also, one of the directors has no management skill set and it really shows. He use to be in the police business for many years and unfortunately, has brought that skill set to APUS. This is academic, not police.

Continue reading

"Where Have All the Classes Gone?"

Current Employee - Adjunct Faculty in Walla Walla, WA

Pros

Freedom and flexibility regarding when to access the classroom (meaning the time of day). The pay can be good if the enrollment is high, as APUS pays $130 per student for undergraduate classes.

Cons

This list is getting longer every day. I have been at APUS over seven years, and "my" department has had more program and faculty directors than I can count. To me, this speaks volumes about how employees and faculty are treated here--even the "higher-ups." Class assignments in my own department have trickled to NOTHING in nearly a year, due (supposedly) to changing requirements for students. Thankfully, I have been able to get a few classes here and there in another department, and the workload for both students and faculty is far less than I'm used to (while the pay is exactly the same). I have repeatedly contacted my program director and faculty director to ask about classes, yet I've never received a satisfactory answer--or even one that makes sense. Classes are not assigned based on faculty performance or reviews or compliance with training requirements, so I'm not sure what the point of jumping through those hoops is.

Continue reading

"Would Recommend to Others"

Current Employee - Admission Manager in Charles Town, WV

Pros

- Department leadership that is receptive to feedback, advocates for its team members and is easy to work with. [My manager is the best I have every worked for and one of the main reasons I have stuck with this company during difficult times. Being on the other side of those trials, I can now say I am extremely happy to work here and overly satisfied with my employment at APUS.] - Flexibility. The ability to work from home and flex time throughout the week for occasional accommodation needs. - Pride in working for a University that genuinely seeks to uphold the institutions mission, vision and values. - Commitment to quality education at an affordable cost. - Ethical player in the market place. - More and more steps are being taken to address silos, provide better cross-departmental knowledge, invest in employees and retain solid talent. - Solid benefits and decent time off. - Strong commitment to quality programs that obtain and retain specialized accreditation. Along with modifying policies and offerings to align with student demand and industry movement.

Cons

- Fast launch of new programs or initiatives that are not structurally ready for launch. - Too many systems within and across teams (currently being addresses) - A ‘never close’ mentality. - Constant changes from Academics that have a direct impact on both students and staff without taking those impacts into account beforehand. - Some lingering negative employees that refuse to move on.

Continue reading

"Doing three jobs for a TERRIBLE Salary"

Current Employee - Faculty in Pensacola, FL

Pros

Somewhat flexible schedule but expect to work 6 days a week and at least 10-12 hours a day.

Cons

I've taught at a lot of places and APUS is the worst. As a full-time faculty member, expect to work six and likely seven days a week. This is an institution that makes instructors teach five and six classes at a time, month after month. On top of that, you also have to be the "course manager" on 3-5 courses (and you get no extra pay for this). The pay is TERRIBLE. I've been there for over five years with a PhD and masters and am paid LESS than 70,0000 dollars a year. And you expect us to design courses for free, do all of the technical crap and also teach tons of classes at the same time. SHAME ON YOU. You overwork faculty with too many tasks. What are you people thinking with having an instructor teach 5 or more classes at a time? Why do faculty with one year of service get the same vacation allowance as people with five, ten or more years? I can't wait to leave. I wish there were a union at this school. It would be voted in by your faculty in a heartbeat.

Continue reading
  7. "Talented team & growth opportunities"

Current Employee - Marketing Director in Manassas, VA

Pros

In my 6+ years at APUS, I've had numerous opportunities for professional development. My supervisors have honored my requests to take on additional responsibilities and learn new skills, and have carved a path for my career growth. Each year I'm able to attend conferences or seminars, and have also been added to internal committees for high-level initiatives. In addition: -Colleagues are talented and hardworking. -Department has been adding positions, helping us work on projects that have been pushed down our priority list due to bandwidth. -Work-life balance, ability to work from home twice a week.

Cons

At times, projects come down to my team/department with little time to strategize and plan appropriately. Having two office locations also makes it difficult to work as closely with other departments as I would like.

Continue reading

"Working As Full-Time Faculty At American Public University Sucks!"

Current Employee - Full Time Faculty in Milwaukee, WI

Pros

They match your 401k. Honestly, that's all I can think of because the rest is atrocious .

Cons

After nearly a 5 years of employment as fulltime faculty, I finally quit. I couldn't handle teaching 6 classes a month with 100 plus students month after month for 11 months out of the year. It is bad enough we have to teach those kinds of numbers but it doesn't stop there. They also make you build new classes EVERY month that roll out the next month. Imagine grading 100 graduate level writing assignments PER WEEK (and marking them up comments) every week. Do the math. With 125 students (average), that's 125 papers you grade per week or 500 papers per month! Now throw in discussion assignments you also must grade each week. That's another 500 (or more) you grade per month. But wait ... there's more. Fulltime faculty also are forced to be course managers for up to 5 classes. This means monthly tweaks and technical updates that you are REQUIRED to attend to. And because they jettisoned textbooks to save money, they rely on faculty to scour the web for free reading material. Would you go to a school for a masters degree and not have a textbook in ANY of your courses? I'm not kidding, this is exactly what APUS does through it's "open resource" "initiative. And did I mention they required you to respond to 50 % over all posts in a substantive way? That may not sound bad but when you teach 125 students a month, we're talking 62 posts a week. This doesn't include having to reply to 100% of the introductions in week 1. Now throw in student emails (average 10 per day) and the technical tweaks ... plus required faculty meetings, and you are literally working 12 hour days, 7 days a week. You don't dare take a day away from the classrooms because if you do you'll never catch up. And omg NEVER get sick. Nobody will cover your classrooms. Did you know faculty who have worked there 15 years get the same vacation time as 1 year? Oh, and did ya know the "1 month" vacay is really just 2 weeks because you are building classes during your time off?

Continue reading
  9. "A Caring and Dynamic Company"

Current Employee - Administrative in Charles Town, WV

I have been working at American Public University System full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

APUS is a company that sits in the heart of a small community with a keen appreciation for the rich culture and history of its hometown. APUS is a conscientious organization that values its employees and students. Despite how large this company has grown over the years, its high touch approach to dealing with employee relations and customer service has never faltered. This is a forward thinking company with a vision to be the best higher education institution! There are many ways APUS proves how valuable its employees are daily, including: fair and competitive compensation, stellar benefits, telework, and opportunities for advancement.

Cons

Sometimes the company struggles with its identity because it has had to reshape itself through the tremendous growth spurts it's enjoyed. It is important to continue to be patient while management works through unraveling that knot.

Continue reading

"Students are leaving; teaching opportunities are dwindling"

Former Contractor - Adjunct Instructor in Reno, NV

I worked at American Public University System for more than 8 years

Pros

These days, there are none, since the school is no longer assigning me any sections.

Cons

After teaching for APUS for eight years (without a raise, despite good reviews of my work) and routinely being assigned about seven to nine eight-week online classes per year, the classes suddenly stopped coming last spring. I queried management and received an answer something along the lines of "you'll get a class when it's available; we take care of full-time instructors first." Since the school no longer has an online forum where instructors can hold conversations with one another (that disappeared several years ago), this adjunct has been left wondering about the degree to which other adjuncts have been experiencing the same dearth of classes. I don’t have recent numbers concerning full-time and part-time instructors at the school, although in 2010 they broke down as follows, according to a U.S. Senate report from that year: 261 full-time and 1,062 part-time faculty. If the numbers are similar today, that’s a lot of adjuncts to leave in the dark about why they are not getting classes. Given that registrations per quarter have dropped precipitously in the last few years (127,000 to 81,000; the information is from the online 10-Q quarterly reports for APEI, the APUS parent company), the lack of classes is no surprise. In addition, APEI paid the state of Massachusetts $270,000 to settle the "alleged failure to disclose job prospects [and] high-pressure enrollment tactics." The company also had to post a $700,000 letter of credit to cover of portion of Title IV funds that it failed to return during 2016. See other comments in the APUS Glassdoor review section regarding issues that the school is having in abiding by other Title IV stipulations (particularly those concerning the sources of the school’s income). To make matters worse, the 10-Q report from November 2018 notes that the school’s textbook supplier went bankrupt and closed in October 2018. Says APEI of this development: “While we believe that this will not have an adverse effect on APUS’s registrations or our results of operations, there is no guarantee that APUS will be successful in fulfilling all books and materials orders prior to the start of a course or that this will not have a negative impact on student retention, costs or results of operations.” It gets worse. The November 2018 10-Q report notes Walmart’s May 2018 announcement that it will be leaving its partnership with APUS as of June 2019. In addition, revenues are down and forty-eight workers were laid off in early 2018 to save cash, according to the November 10-Q report. At the same time, the school awarded cash bonuses to senior management officials for “meeting certain Company financial and operational goals.” My guess is that those goals included saving the company money by laying off the forty-eight workers. Goodbye peons, now give me my bonus! Things don’t look so good for APEI/APUS. Oh well, at least APEI President and CEO Wallace (Wally) Boston is still doing well. He was paid $1.97 million in 2017, a year that APUS adjuncts made the same money per course that they made back in 2010: $3,250 for a twenty-five person class.

Viewing 1 - 10 of 49 English Reviews