American Queen Steamboat Company Reviews | Glassdoor

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Hard work"

Former Employee - Server/Waitress in Oregon City, OR
    Former Employee - Server/Waitress in Oregon City, OR

I worked at American Queen Steamboat Company full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Fun, safe, team work, fast paced, great pay.

Cons

Sharing rooms with more than 2people

Advice to Management

You are great

2. "Pay"

Former Employee - Housekeeper in New Albany, IN
    Former Employee - Housekeeper in New Albany, IN

I worked at American Queen Steamboat Company full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Company pays travel and food and roomie g

Cons

No employee reviews for records

3. "Musician"

Current Employee - Musician
    Current Employee - Musician

I have been working at American Queen Steamboat Company full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Quite simply, the most pleasing job I've ever had! It's great to work for a company that espouses, "happy crew, happy passengers." I'm thrilled to work with lots of people that I enjoy greatly.

Cons

The logistics of housing an entire hotel / food and beverage / housekeeping / entertainment / engineering and maintenance staff are horribly challenging, when every cubic inch of space is crucial, hence, crew quarters may not suit those who require an over-abundance of personal space.

Advice to Management

Continue to support us in presenting the zenith of customer service to our guests. Keep up the good work!

4. "Server"

I have been working at American Queen Steamboat Company full-time

Pros

Benefits travel staff from all over USA.

Cons

They work you non stop on the boats 6 to 7 days a week.

Advice to Management

Give people a chance to move up. Pay the servers hourly not the daily rate stuff. Appreciate the good employees and replace the bad ones.

5. "Cocktail Sever on Empress"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Vancouver, WA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Vancouver, WA

I worked at American Queen Steamboat Company full-time

Pros

Great Ceo 😍 I worked with a really hard-working team. My coworkers which became my family made my job a pleasure . I made amazing tips from amazing guests. I love d that it was a seasonal job so I was able to travel the world during my time off. Great Benefits 😀

Cons

I really don't have any.

Advice to Management

Continue to take amazing care if your hard-working crew.

"A company culture that disrespects people"

I worked at American Queen Steamboat Company full-time

Pros

They talk a good talk about team, corporate character, integrity.

Cons

Hollow words. When it comes down to it, cya starts at the top.

"This company cares about it's employees"

I have been working at American Queen Steamboat Company full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The president of the company and his wife are so selfless. They would do anything for their employees and their customers. This company is fair. If there is an issue, it is resolved fairly with our HR department (who are amazing). The benefits are excellent and the environment itself is very upbeat and positive. I love working here.

Cons

unpaid sick days unless you have PTO saved for the amount you miss.

Advice to Management

Department managers should be more open to ideas from their employees in that department. Allow employees to go on each vessel for a short cruise or even just a couple of days to get experience hands-on! Take the extra time to really listen to new ideas. They could make this company A LOT more money if some ideas were put into effect. Finally, you are appreciated by everyone, even on your bad days- remember that.

8. "ok"

Pros

good crew, good food, good cabins for management.

Cons

job insecurity and long hours

"Don't even consider working here if you already have a stable job/income."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Memphis, TN
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Memphis, TN

I worked at American Queen Steamboat Company full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- Lots of Travel
    - Ability to pay off debt
    - IF certain members of management like you, then you'll be promoted to top ranks fast
    - Work schedule is supposed to be 6-8 weeks on with 3-4 weeks off (unpaid time off)

Cons

- You're typically always working and are unable to leave the boat to explore the towns
    - Insane turnover! Employees are fired without any counseling or proactive measures - many are let go simply if certain members of management didn't like you
    - We were always short staffed because people would constantly be fired or would walk-off. Because of this, your work schedule would often change from working 8 weeks - to working 10 weeks or 12 weeks - or longer without ever having a day off.
    - No training or performance review process
    - Employees have no empowerment whatsoever
    - Your job is NEVER secure - nor will you ever feel that it is - I've seen people who were promoted up the ranks fast (by the right members of management liking them) and then that person does something unwittingly and they are fired without cause
    - The food they serve the crew isn't great - however, depending on your position, you may be able to eat the food served to the guests
    - Retaliation / harassment and threats seem to be the company culture
    - Company had numerous financial troubles
    - In the position I held as controller, many of our vendors would contact me asking why they haven't been paid. I spoke to the home office who said that finances are tight and they are only paying the bills for food and gas and if any company is constantly calling demanding their money
    - There were times onboard where we were running low on water and they advised all employees to not shower or use the water until we made it to the next major city (in 3-5 days)
    - There were times when the air conditioning would not work in the crew hold
    - There were times when the boat would breakdown and we would be stuck for days

Advice to Management

(1) Train your employees - regardless if they start at the beginning of the season or close to the end. (2) If an employee is failing to perform, provide coaching and help them succeed. If it's something that can't be coached, put them on a 3-step plan with a verbal warning, written warning and then a final warning, then termination. Don't just fire people - some of these people you have fired left good stable jobs that have pension plans - and they want to do a good job - but you don't give them a chance. (3) Give feedback that lets them know what they are doing well, and areas they can improve in, if possible tell them how to improve or what they can do to improve in the area(s) they might not be doing so well on. (4) Eliminate the bad members of management and replace them.

"Logistics"

I worked at American Queen Steamboat Company full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

High turnover means positions are hastily filled.

Cons

Their operation is total chaos. Employees are flown in from the southern U.S. at high cost to perform unskilled labor. Few attempts made to hire locals.

Advice to Management

Stop parading around like executioners to keep low-level employees on task. Acknowledge long-term costs and stop insisting on cheap, temporary solutions that are detrimental to your product, employees, image, and finances.