American Red Cross Reviews | Glassdoor

1,907 reviews

Full-time Part-time

1,907 Employee Reviews

Pros
Cons
  • Working lots of hours-hard work life balance (in 59 reviews)

• Upper management needs to be reined in (in 100 reviews)

"Constant harassment and incompetence"

Former Employee - Blood Collections Specialist in Murray, UT
    Former Employee - Blood Collections Specialist in Murray, UT

Pros

Perhaps there are better jobs outside of the collections department. Many people who start in collections stick with it long enough to work in a different department and seem happy, but very few people work long-term in collections.

Cons

I heard jokes and offensive comments about women, jews, rape, black people, hispanics, etc without fail every single week from staff there. Several from my trainers, one who expressed that "men are just better than women" to a group of trainees, including myself. I spoke up about it and nothing was done. I came from a hospital background and found that most instructors had no technical knowledge of how blood products are actually used medicinally. My instructor fell asleep on the first day of teaching us about our job at the company, and his boss came in the room and thought it was funny. No one in management could figure out where one employee (who had to commute for mandatory training) was supposed to clock in, and the issue was not resolved for months. When I got fed up and quit there wasn't anyone to actually quit to that day, so I sent an email to their concerns group about why I was quitting. HR routinely leaves every friday, and sure enough they were gone before 2 pm that day, so I couldn't even quit to them.They sent me a letter saying I had been terminated for not showing up, the next week, even though I had quit and told them so. The sheer incompetency of every single department was apparent to me while working there. The additional week meant they subtracted 400$ from my remaining checks (their insurance is EXPENSIVE and not good). My first check was full, for one week of work, but every check after that retroactively subtracted additional pay for benefits, even though I didn't have my cards yet. When I called to ask how to get my money back for the last month of checks no one knew who to talk to. The collections department is not allowed to have breaks longer than 30 minutes, even when working long shifts, which seems as though it is illegal.

Advice to Management

If you don't do something serious, someone is going to file a lawsuit for a hostile work environment soon. Trainers and managers need to be disciplined for the environment they have created there.

"Continual decline in leadership, starting with the Board of By-Standers"

Current Employee - Senior Director in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Senior Director in Washington, DC

Pros

The front line employees are dedicated to the true mission of the Red Cross, and do a good job despite leadership that wastes money, resources, and opportunities. Employees up to a certain level work together to keep the operations moving forward. Blood donors, blood recipients, charitable donors and victims served are the true audience and customers of this organization.

Cons

Alleged 'experts', both consultants and senior leadership are clueless at identifying root causes of problems, developing expedient solutions, and implementing needed changes. Untold $Millions have been wasted on a revolving door of consultants with elaborate and unworkable 'solutions' which have either never been implemented or are only partially installed, and less efficient and less effective than prior systems and methods. Long term employees are pushed aside, or terminated for presenting realistic assessments of the ongoing failures, and weaknesses of the most fashionable 'transformation'.

Advice to Management

The Board of By-Standers, (Board of Governors) need to have 'skin in the game'. They have done nothing except hire and tolerate failures for the last 20 years. The highest level executives must come from within to truly understand the organization. Blood Services must be spun off, or simplified in to 4-11 independent organizations the same size as successful competitors. Chapter services must adopt more of a 'for profit' model, and expand the line of services to include day care, home safety technologies and devices, elder care and family safety. The "Can't Do" attitude at the top of the organization must go.

"Doesn't care about its employees, unfair staffing levels at blood drives, low comparable pay, poor benefit package."

Current Employee - Blood Services Charge Person (CSII) in Cleveland, OH
    Current Employee - Blood Services Charge Person (CSII) in Cleveland, OH

Pros

Nice to be linked to a company with a good name. We love our donors..some of the most caring people in the world. Helping people.

Cons

Long hours, few breaks, pay not keeping up, benefit package getting worse every year. Due to low staffing levels, long lines at drives which makes donor unhappy.

Advice to Management

Put caring for staff above the almighty dollar. Put good customer service, caring for donors, etc., as a priority. Treat others how you would like to be treated.

"American Red Cross"

Former Employee - Information Technology in Ashburn, VA
    Former Employee - Information Technology in Ashburn, VA

I worked at American Red Cross full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

non-profit organization with a good mission statement

Cons

too many reduction in forces and favoritism

Advice to Management

an overall review of current management should be performed

"The Phoenix location of the American Red Cross, Blood Services the worst place I have ever worked!"

Former Employee - Customer Service Specialist in Phoenix, AZ
    Former Employee - Customer Service Specialist in Phoenix, AZ

I worked at American Red Cross full-time (More than a year)

Pros

You can be a very close personal friend with your boss, going out to lunch in front of all of the employees and not try to hide the blatant disregard for the others under the supervisor's care. You can work alone in an office of 5 and never have to see each other unless by chance someone wants to yell at you for the 2nd or 3rd time that week, because your job is at risk if you don't make goal.

Cons

You are yelled at almost daily and degraded because the supervisor thinks she can. The Tucson office is out of the picture and visit the Phoenix site only to make show approximately once every 2 months. The stress in the office from most of the employees is so high that everyone attempts to be out of office as much as possible. Most direction is given by email so that a person can track their request because they have a lack of trust in each other. Employees have had to sue the company because of their prejudices, the management tyraids, the fear felt by the employees personal, emotional and mental, we never knew if we were going to have a job that day or be terminated because of a choice by management. Many employees left the company because of he previous manager and won suits against the company by the labor board. There is little trust that if we speak to upper management or Human Resources that anything will happen. We are fearful to speak to them for the unknown results by our supervisor. Current supervisor is very close friends with one of the employees and doesn't care how it affects the department. They have offside meetings and spend most evenings together. This is not done with any of the other employees. Anyone who gives notice to terminate is harassed and has it held over their head until they leave. Terms that are used when giving notice are "I thought we were friends." "Why didn't you tell me you were leaving." Not words you'd normally heave from your Supervisor. When there was a situation where coaching was needed, and corporate involvement was requested by employee on two occasions; it never happened. Supervisor wanted to resolve the issue on her own as the other person involved in the problem was her very best friend, even after two requests for assistance. Supervisor decided that she would work the employees separate shifts so that they would not have to be see each each other instead of involving corporate for their assistance.

Advice to Management

Hire someone as supervisor at Phoenix who is not a previous co-worker in the area and a "best friend" to one of the employees. A manager in Donor Recruitment or an experienced Supervisor is needed. Include HR more in the mix and make employees feel a part of the big picture. Reinforce employees communicating with HR and Donor Recruitment Manager in Tucson to ensure a feeling of an open door policy and that employees (due to their remote location) should be welcome to contact Manager as needed. When you tell employees repeatedly to get their medical out of the way before the end of the year and extended time off is medically necessary, don't lay off a seasoned employee on the day they are to return to work for a new employee, because the best friend of the current Supervisor did not like the current employee.

"Dysfunctional management will destroy the organization in the long term"

Current Employee - Donor Recruitment Representative in Arlington, VA
    Current Employee - Donor Recruitment Representative in Arlington, VA

I have been working at American Red Cross full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Some days are short were the best part of the job

Cons

Too many issues to comment on!

Advice to Management

EVOLVE

"Humanitarian company abuses employees (blood services)"

Current Employee - Donor Recruitment Supervisor in Nashville, GA
    Current Employee - Donor Recruitment Supervisor in Nashville, GA

I have been working at American Red Cross full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

the mission-we literally save lives

Cons

60-70 hour workweek is not only common, but expected. Hospitals depend on blood supply, but is sometimes very hard to be empathetic when you have been standing in a store parking lot for 5 hours in the rain or the snow begging people to get on the bloodmobile and donate blood. Hospital needs supercede human needs of Red Cross employees and there is absolutely no work/life balance in the Donor Recruitment and Collections departments...we work weekends, all holidays except Thanksgiving and Christmas, and lose vacation time (for which we are not paid) every year....altho office people have 40 hour work weeks, no weekends and can take two week vacations without worrying. The pressure is constant and employees regularly go WEEKS without one day off.

Advice to Management

Stop expecting two departments to take the brunt of your needs. Market for NEW donors, incentivize current donors...SPEND MONEY instead of just expecting Donor Recruitment to pull in donors with less and less support.

"Great Mission but Horrible Management!"

Current Employee - Administrative Assistant in Madison, WI
    Current Employee - Administrative Assistant in Madison, WI

I have been working at American Red Cross full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The American Red Cross has a wonderful mission and their branding is known around the world. PTO policy is the only positive employee benefit.

Cons

While recognized as a humanitarian organization, they treat their employees horribly. This organization strips you of your work ethic and degrades your skills. Very wasteful of the resources they have and not open to very simple changes to improve. A very negative and dysfunctional environment to work in. A revolving door and most of those going out are key talent that management should strive to retain. Poor health benefits; horrible management who are unable to effectively lead - a total disappointment as an employer.

Advice to Management

A good manager always hires the best and brightest. The management at ARC isn't the brightest at the top so they continually hire dumb and dumber all the way down the management chain. Appreciate the employees who are busy doing the work and carrying out the mission for they are your number one asset.

"Poor Leadership, no respect for family life-St. Louis"

Former Employee - Donor Recruitment Representative in Saint Louis, MO
    Former Employee - Donor Recruitment Representative in Saint Louis, MO

I worked at American Red Cross full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Bonuses and pay are extremely good for a non-profit if the territory that you get is set up to succeed. Team enviornment at the employee level and within Phlebotomists and Donor Recruitment Representatives. Great way to network and meet people in your community.

Cons

Managers and Directors are extremely out of touch with the work put in by Recruitment Reps and Phlebotomists. Employees work very long hours and often 7 days a week. Employees are expected to answer their phones and emails immediately at all hours. Directors and Supervisors cause conflicts between Phlebotomists and Recruitment Reps. Everything is about money when it should be about helping the sick. Say they believe in diversity, but they don't understand diversity.

Advice to Management

Clean house from the top down. Appreciate the people at the bottom who are making you all of the money. Don't reorganizing territories when Reps begin to succeed. Change the way that you do business before other Blood Organizations completely take over. Attempt to understand diversity and the diverse cultures, without them you will never succeed.

"14 1/2 Years With American Red Cross"

Former Employee - Network Analyst in Johnstown, PA
    Former Employee - Network Analyst in Johnstown, PA

I worked at American Red Cross full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Worked 5 miles from home.

Cons

No accountability. Executives make sweeping changes based on Politics, then falsify numbers to look good. Even if the numbers are bad, they are not accountable.
    Washington DC American Red Cross is a "Good ol' boy" hotel.
    Washington DC is trying to run everything from DC in a company that was started as a community based organization. They are eliminating local decision making.
    The Red Cross public approval rate is falling rapidly.

Advice to Management

Executive VPs need to make their subordinates accountable by giving them a time limit to make their Departments work. If they do not perform, then they are out.

Showing 1,907 of 2,081 reviews