American Red Cross Reviews | Glassdoor

1,870 reviews

Full-time Part-time

1,870 Employee Reviews

Pros
Cons
  • High-pressured working environment with huge workload not offering work-life balance (in 57 reviews)

• Upper management needs to be reined in (in 98 reviews)

"National Testing Laboratory"

Current Employee - Medical Technologist in Saint Louis, MO
    Current Employee - Medical Technologist in Saint Louis, MO

I have been working at American Red Cross full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Honestly, there are no real pros. It is a paycheck and experience. They will hire almost anyone with a BS in biology or chemistry. There is always opportunity for overtime because people are always quitting. The turnover rate is extremely high. People usually stay between 6 month to a year.

They match the 401K up to 4%.

Cons

Bad pay. They use the excuse that the pay is low because they are Not-for-Profit, but upper management really makes all the money.
    Horrible health benefits and the employees pay for most of it. We have currently have Cigna but used to have Blue Cross.
    Horrible supervisors because they promote unqualified people.
    They hire and retain anyone. Even if they are not right for the job because they need people.
    Sometimes you work six days in a row because they don't know how to make a five day schedule.
    You don't get sick days, you get PTO and if you get sick more than three time in six months, they start to look for excuses to fire you because you call out too much.
    Some of the supervisors are very disrespectful staff, while their friends do anything they want.
    Too much nepotism and favoritism.
    Employees yelling matches in the lab is ignored.(this applies to the supervisors also because they don't know how to supervise)
    The training is a joke...Seriously. And they expect you to perform your job without any mistakes. When you make too many they use it as a reason to not give you a raise.
    The lab is dirty and they expect you to clean it because the cleaning staff is horrible.

Advice to Management

I had to give a star because this site doesn't allow for no stars. Get new supervisors who actually want to supervise. There are only three that are any good. Stop the favoritism and treat all employees the same. Invest in employees and they will invest their time in the company. Get better healthcare or give some kind of incentive to make people want to stay with this company. There currently is no reason to stay here. When are you going to open your eyes?

"Concerned Employee"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Douglasville, GA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Douglasville, GA

I have been working at American Red Cross full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

The pros are what the American Red Cross stands for, and that's helping people.

Cons

The cons are hard to move up in the company. It does not matter about employees abilities and skills. It's all about if you are liked.

Advice to Management

Don't hold back an employee because of being outspoken. That shows leadership abilities. But help them to develop those skills.

3. "IT Manager"

Current Employee - IT Manager in Oklahoma City, OK
    Current Employee - IT Manager in Oklahoma City, OK

I have been working at American Red Cross full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Work from home
    involved with disaster Readiness

Cons

Work from home
    limited projects
    unstructured projects for forward momentum company wide

Advice to Management

Team builder, innovative, loyal, hard working.

"Biomedical collections .. goar"

Current Employee - Special Collections Apheresis in Little Rock, AR
    Current Employee - Special Collections Apheresis in Little Rock, AR

I have been working at American Red Cross full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Benefits, PTO and can help save lives

Cons

Terrible high sales like pitch from management, my part of donor safety and collect blood ect, my super lines, sabotaged Apherrsis precedures and is a no show at work most times never there for us when we need her team lead is only there for her title to brag and then to talk down to her team, belittle them, not handle racist remarks against her team until I went above her head .. at that time the racist threatened to pull a ruffle on them .. It's all push for numbers with out realizing. We know our jobs and our donors and what is going to work we need a pervisor who knows the job and stops hurting people by sabatofinng our machine

Advice to Management

Investigate her , stop the lies .. make her accountability to her job ,,, she is never there .. does a go around the facility tells everyone what she doing then leaves ... lots of money wasted in turnover employees myself and several others will be more of them

6. "Recommend work as an intern"

Former Employee - Volunteer Coordinator in Miami, FL
    Former Employee - Volunteer Coordinator in Miami, FL

I worked at American Red Cross (Less than a year)

Pros

Family style work environment, my supervisor is really nice to willing to teach me a lot.

Cons

Heavy workload due to limited workforce.

Advice to Management

hire more full time employee to share heavy workload

"Need to be young with no family to work the hours they want."

Current Employee - Collection Tech in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Collection Tech in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at American Red Cross full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Meeting new generous people everyday who want to help save lives. Working somewhere different everyday. The pay is great. Knowing I'm helping to save lives.

Cons

Very physical and hard labor loading and unloading trucks for blood drives. Many tech end up with work related injuries. Horrible, horrible management. Always feel scrutinized and not appreciated. High turn over rated due to work conditions and bad management.

Advice to Management

Make sure you recognized all your employees hard work, not just the brown nosers. Do something more about the dangerous work conditions.

8. "Great Non-Profit"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at American Red Cross full-time

Pros

Really feel like you are making a difference. Great team who love working together. Really get to see the goodness in people.

Cons

Never enough hands to do the job. Politics within the company sometimes get in the way of doing the best job

Advice to Management

You have a wonderful opportunity to help people in their greatest hour of need, don't take that for granted by getting mired in the petty stuff.

"Great environment, passionate people"

Former Employee - Program Associate in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Program Associate in Washington, DC

I worked at American Red Cross full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The people working there are passionate about what they do. It feels great knowing your tasks are making such a difference. You really see how your efforts pay off.

Cons

Large organization so more difficult to move up- does have a plus of allowing you to move departments and learn new skills though

10. "Upper Management is great and genuinely cares"

Current Employee - Disaster Program Manager in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Disaster Program Manager in New York, NY

I have been working at American Red Cross full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great Mission
    Awesome Volunteers
    Opportunities to grow
    Management is very open to training opportunities for staff
    Decent vacation/PTO
    Not a lot of micromanaging- we are given the ability to run our programs how we want

Cons

Can be disorganized
    Some lazy team members (depending on what team you are on this can have a huge effect on your day to day work)

Advice to Management

Don't promote staff just because they have been around for years, find the best suited individual for each role. Continue supporting the team and providing great opportunities/incentives, it is great!

11. "Quality Control"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Charlotte, NC
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Charlotte, NC

I have been working at American Red Cross full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

ok working atmosphere, ever changing, some departments are better than others. ok benefits.

Cons

need to upgrade computers and system, hard to advance into management, no work life balance

Showing 1,870 of 2,035 reviews