American Red Cross Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

1,945 Employee Reviews

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • Work/life balance the scale will tip towards work (in 65 reviews)

• Upper management needs to be reined in (in 101 reviews)

"Excellence turned into mediocrity"

Former Employee - Chapter Operations
    Former Employee - Chapter Operations

I worked at American Red Cross full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Great mission, great media awareness

Cons

No longer provide direct financial assistance to disaster victims. Hand out sweat pants, a bucket and broom, or provide a cot instead of a hotel room for local disaster victims. Senior management gets bonuses based on profit margin rather than client outcomes. Margin increased is now based on lower level of assistance. Donations for major disasters help offeset balance sheet liabilities rather than helping the images of families on the TV. Will never donate to them again as long as the current senior management team is still employed there.

Advice to Management

To the National Board Chair -appointed by the President of the United States -- stop the bleeding and step one foot outside of DC in a local chapter --and move to replace the senior management team -- all of them for the sake of the future viability of the mission.

"A disappointing introduction to the world of non-profit."

I worked at American Red Cross full-time

Pros

I was attracted to their outstanding, admirable mission.

Cons

But found the worst business acumen of any organization that I've been associated with...

Advice to Management

*Gain a better understanding of the differences in management and decision-making processes required among the different facets of the organization; i.e. sales, service, disaster, fund development.
    *Research and plan before making significant impactful directives, rather than spending months and years unraveling poor decisions.
    *Work to narrow the vast communication void between senior management and those actually in the trenches, whether disaster, blood services or health and safety.

"Financial Mess with Incompetent and Entrenched Executive Management that Are Accountable to No One."

Current Employee - Manager
    Current Employee - Manager

I have been working at American Red Cross full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

You may think that you go there to help people, but the first time you hear someone in executive management say, "We are hurting financially, and we need another disaster," you stomach twists and you feel sick

Cons

The Chapter side laid off about 30% of its workers in the last 3 years and the biomedical side is in the process of laying off 15+% of their workforce. If you want stability of any kind, do not work at the Red Cross. Management hides the true financial disaster of the company because they are worried that it would hurt donations. For the last 5 years there have been 2 layoffs a year in Biomedical and they are in a major reorganization right now that could decimate employees. The worst morale that I have ever seen or could ever imagine, the endless layoffs just destroys people and the BEST people all are leaving because they don't want to deal with the endless financial mess and never ending layoffs.

Advice to Management

Tell the public what the true financial situation is with the Red Cross before you take their money and then your huge cut of it.

"The Red Cross Sweatshop....."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cincinnati, OH
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cincinnati, OH

I have been working at American Red Cross full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Forged some friendships that will last a life time. Other than this, there not a lot of good things one can say about working for the Red Cross......

Cons

No room for advancement unless someone above you leaves or die. Learned what kind of manager not to be while working here. Senior Leadership has no clue about operations in the field. Moral is at rock bottom levels. ARC is currently downsizing again and looking for very cheap labor. IT Systems are a wreck with Unisys now in the picture. Currently going through "Biomedical Re-Engineering" which only means more staff will be out the door and more promotions for leadership.

Advice to Management

It is very hard to believe how NHQ and Field Leadership has ran this ship into the ground. Please get rid of your worthless directors, CEO's and VP's. They are 99% of the ARC's problem.

"A disaster within itself"

Current Employee - Manager in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Manager in Seattle, WA

I have been working at American Red Cross full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Positive mission (in it's intentions...)

Cons

Huge mismanagement and wasteful spending with very few dollars actually getting to the clients, extremely poor leadership (both at Seattle directorship and nationally) , long hours (60+ per week), poor partner relations (monopolizes the publicity and donations with little return on value) and no staff support.

Advice to Management

Admit you are bankrupt due to your practices and fold

"Philanthropic Deception, abuse of power and brand."

Former Employee - Donor Recruitment Representative, Account Manager
    Former Employee - Donor Recruitment Representative, Account Manager

I worked at American Red Cross full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Few good sales and recruitment trainings. Red Cross is a recognizable name, good networking opportunity. Looks like a large restructuring is in near future, in a few years this may make it a much better organization.

Cons

Management is completely out of touch. When employees bring up issues the response is "deal with it," and no action is taken to see if the issue real, why the employee is upset or what can be changed. Management often responds to issues with “it is what it is…deal with it.”

Salaried workers are expected to work long hours (50-60+ a week) "because they are salaried." When in regional meetings recruiters are told that they should spend less that 25% of their time doing administrative tasks but there are no administrative assistants or support staff. All support people have left and have not been rehired. (See: speed up)

Management does what they can to prevent employees from receiving incentive pay. For example, if the trucks break down on the way to a blood drive the recruiter is held responsible. If the staff who are supposed to work at the blood drive need to call out sick and the drive is short staffed, the recruiter is held responsible. If there is a large snow storm that knocks out all power and blocks road, recruiter is held responsible.

Meetings with manager usually consisted on manager looking at computer screen, either answering emails or shopping for clothing rather than having a conversation about how employee was doing in position.

Recruiters are not asked for their opinions. If something goes slightly wrong or if recruiter has a drive that does not come into goal then management is incredibly interested in why and asks for essays explaining from recruiter. However, when something goes well nothing is said. No positive encouragement.

Many workers are looking for a new job and "need to get out." It is sad how negative the culture can be at times.

Though the need for blood has dropped 14% and is expected to continue to drop about another 14% collection goals have not been adjusted, they have been raised. Often hear rumors of blood being thrown away because it cannot all be processed. When management is asked about it, question is not addressed they just want names to find where rumor is coming from. Very conflicting and if this is not true it should be told that is it not true....so is it?

Information is not shared so often employees are left in the dark. Change seems near impossible. HR department is hard to reach and does not respond to employee with questions, HR representatives will take questions and reach out to employee’s managers first before responding to employee.

Sexist environment, inappropriate comments often made about employees bodies, appearance and sex life. Often times terms such as “Lazy Bitch” and “whore” are heard in the office as reference to fellow coworkers who are not present.

Management likes to express political beliefs with strong passion in meetings. Management is very anti-union. When management tried to rid of many health care benefits and union workers stood up for their needs it was expressed very openly how easily replaceable everyone was.

Racist tendencies when it comes to serving and working in areas with minorities. Very negative things said about areas with predominantly minorities, employees often advised to lock doors in car when drive though certain parts of town. Needs to work on having management and staff respect and accept people from various cultures and backgrounds.

No training or orientation for new recruiters in their positions, just a long training on the history of the Red Cross.

Took over 3 months and numerous calls to HR to be paid for last months work.

Advice to Management

Restructure everything. Train managers. Give everyone diversity/sexual harassment training. Hire more people from outside the current organization.

"Donor Recruitment Representative"

Former Employee - Donor Recruitment Representative
    Former Employee - Donor Recruitment Representative

I worked at American Red Cross full-time

Pros

Working with sponsor groups to help the actual people who care to make a difference.

Cons

Long hours, little pay, very poor management. work every weekend. A lot of politics in the office. All management cares about is numbers and uses natural disasters to push their numbers. Very sad place to be a part of.

Advice to Management

When hired you might want to train or tell the new employees what the job they are actually ding is.

"Blood Services: hardest, most frustrating job I have ever had"

Current Employee - Area Manager
    Current Employee - Area Manager

I have been working at American Red Cross full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

The mission: we help save lives. Most of the people I work with are like family-a very disfunctional family, but family.

Cons

ARC is floundering-instead of addressing root cause of our problem, which is poor customer service to our donors and sponsors and no ongoing recruitment of new donors (or appreciation of existing ones), they consolidate call centers (so there is no personal touch), have no field management of Collection staff, so there are a lot who are lazy, inept and uncaring and prefer to do Facebook on their phone than interact with our donors. Drives begin late, supplies aren't taken, there are no programs to entice NEW donors, so we harass our existing ones. The latest bone-headed move is to allow more appointments to be made than we have staff able to process. So potentially (10) donors could all come in when there are only (5) appointment slots at a blood drive. Way to value and thank our donors, Red Cross! We already can't process donors in the time we are supposed to, so let's DOUBLE that amount!! Collections, Donor Recruitment and Hospital Services work HORRENDOUS hours-there IS no balance. People DREAD each day and turnover is ongoing.

Advice to Management

Get someone with some BUSINESS sense to run Blood Services! Pay Collections a decent wage so we can get more who actually care (as MANY of them do-"one bad apple") so we can FIRE the ones who aren't good.

9. "I worked in the Health and Safety Department as a CPR Instructor. Great mission, screwy organization."

Current Employee - Health and Safety Instructor in Portland, OR
    Current Employee - Health and Safety Instructor in Portland, OR

I have been working at American Red Cross part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great opportunity to help others and alleviate the suffering of one's fellow man...

Cons

Disorganized and extremely top heavy. It was impossible to get Departments to talk and coordinate. I really don't feel that they care about their people like they should.

Advice to Management

Listen more to the troops. Get out of the office on a regular basis and watch service delivery.

"Are you kidding me"

Pros

Make a difference in the community

Cons

Everything. Terrible Management. No concern for the employees.

American Red Cross Response

Feb 7, 2014 – Talent Acquisition Program Associate

Thank you for taking the time to leave a review. Making a difference in the community is a vital part of our mission, and we are glad to hear that this was a positive part of your experience at the... More

Showing 1,945 of 2,129 reviews