American Red Cross Team Supervisor Reviews | Glassdoor

Gail McGovern
  1. "Team Supervisor"

Current Employee - Team Supervisor in Norfolk, VA

I have been working at American Red Cross full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

You can work from home on office days.

Cons

Salary pay gives no room for overtime

American Red Cross2016-08-16
  2. "The job was a great place to work until management changed and the reason for coming to work was no longer enjoyable.."

Former Employee - Team Supervisor in Charlotte, NC

I worked at American Red Cross full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Well known organization recognized in the community and around the world.

Cons

Realizing that money isn't everything. People do have their reasons for staying in a department when it is what they enjoy and would like to be appreciated instead of ridiculed constantly.

Advice to Management

Making sure that your employees are appreciated and happy with their work environment, especially when they have been dedicated workers for many years.

American Red Cross2020-01-22
  3. "Great place to work but keep cutting benefits"

Current Employee - Team Supervisor in Bloomington, IN

I have been working at American Red Cross full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Fun job! Get to travel but are home every evening. Very rewarding.

Cons

Keep cutting benefits. Pretty soon I will be a volunteer!

Advice to Management

Need to get the union out of there!

American Red Cross2019-05-31
  4. "Great rewarding job"

Current Employee - Team Supervisor in Raleigh, NC

I have been working at American Red Cross full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Feel good about helping others

Cons

The hours are a varying schedule daily.

American Red Cross2019-04-18

"Lots of potential, so far unrealized"

Current Employee - Team Supervisor in New York, NY

I have been working at American Red Cross full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

This is in respect to the Blood Collections department exclusively -Great deal of job satisfaction: you are helping to save lives -The donors are typically friendly and happy to be there, unlike many customer-facing jobs where the customers are typically unhappy and talking to you because something has gone wrong -Active and varied work, you use your hands, computer software, interact with people and equipment -Lots of prestige, people respect a person who works for an organization like Red Cross -No sick time, but more than average PTO for an entry-level job -ARC has by far been the most difficult *and* the most rewarding job I've ever had

Cons

This is in respect to the Blood Collections department exclusively -The pay is not great -The hours are insane. You get a schedule 2 weeks in advance which can make planning your personal life difficult. The hours are long, and involve many early and late days. The hours are extremely irregular, with in-times often earlier than 5 AM and as late as 11:30 sometimes back-to-back. The irregular schedule can be the most difficult thing to adapt to -Disorganization. It's hard to believe that ARC has been collecting blood for decades and still has so many problems with it's operations. It is particularly bad in the Greater New York area. From top to bottom it feels like no one is "running the ship" so to speak. Lots of small, easily anticipated, problems add up to drives opening late or unable to collect which can be very frustrating. -Non-profit, management is always trying to save money, so whenever somebody leaves their position management's first response is to have everyone else pick up the slack even if the responsibilities are far outside of their usual duties. What you get is a sharp decrease in the quality of the work being done for both the empty position and the other positions as they dedicate already scant time and resources into handling more responsibilities. You also get disgruntled staff. -High turn-over rate, leading to being short-handed

Advice to Management

This is in respect to the Blood Collections department exclusively Hire more personnel in collections. Trying to grow by withholding resources until growth occurs is insane. GNY needs it's own operations manager, office manager or both. When someone leaves ARC the position must be filled rather than trying to have everyone else pick up the slack even if it's far outside their duties. Were you aware that collections staff are handling scheduling responsibilities when a person calls out? ARC is already paying a scheduling department to handle scheduling, and the excuse that the scheduling department is overworked doesn't stand up to scrutiny considering Collections typically work 50-60 hours a week. If we lose enough people are you going to have scheduling department folks come in to set up drives and perform phlebotomies? The reason the region is failing is not because of it's people it's because of how those people are being treated.

American Red Cross2018-03-03
  6. "Registered Nurse BSN"

Former Employee - Team Supervisor in Farmington, CT

I worked at American Red Cross full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

I have a strong work enthic. I have had 12 years of either Managing or as an Instructor. I am anxious to learn new skills experience in the computer field. I do have some computer skills but most of the programs I learned were just for the American Red Cross. i have been a RN BSN since 1981 and have had a variety of experiences. I look forward to new challenges

Cons

I have worked at the American Red Cross and was promoted to many different jobs. I learned how to be an instructor, how to manage people, how to ensure a blood drive runs smoothly, and how to give good customer service. I don't think of these as cons but as knowledge I can pass on.

Advice to Management

I feel I have the skills you are looking for. I want to expand my nursing skills and knowledge .

American Red Cross2017-06-19

"Good Coworkers, not good for long-term"

Former Employee - Team Supervisor in Peoria, IL

I worked at American Red Cross full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Feels like family, learn many different skills that transfer to other jobs.

Cons

They guilt you into working more and more by reminding you of "the mission". Your outside life doesn't matter to them. Management changes course frequently.

Advice to Management

Work/life balance for staff

American Red Cross2017-06-06
  8. "Team Supervisor"

Current Employee - Team Supervisor in Indian Land, SC

I have been working at American Red Cross full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Friendly people, work together as a team.

Cons

Long hours, low salary,

Advice to Management

Listen to staff

American Red Cross2016-12-27

"Stay Away"

Team Supervisor in Birmingham, AL

I worked at American Red Cross

Pros

At the time of employment, salary

Cons

Hire or put people in positions they are not qualified for, advancement is a who you know and how close they are to the bosses. Terrible hours. Plays favorites. Encourages staff conflicts.

Advice to Management

Hire for experience and job qualifications per job descriptions, get more reliable staff that are willing to work instead of goofing off while a select few work very hard. Stop rewarding bad performances and ignoring good performance.

American Red Cross2016-11-27
  10. "Collections Supervisor"

Current Employee - Team Supervisor in Fort Wayne, IN

I have been working at American Red Cross full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Saving lives... everyday. I love the donors I meet everyday. People from every walk of life.

Cons

Long hours, lots of travel, salary position

Advice to Management

Keep in mind that techs are the face of the american red cross

American Red Cross2016-09-04