American Red Cross "upper management" Reviews | Glassdoor

3.3
American Red Cross President and CEO Gail McGovern
Gail McGovern
1,279 Ratings

"DCSC Donor Counselor II"

Former Employee - INFECTIOUS DISEASE DONOR COUNSELOR II in Philadelphia, PA

I worked at American Red Cross full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Some of the people and managers are great people. If you're on a good team, you all pull together to get the work done.

Cons

The ARC does great things, but I wouldn't recommend working for them (on the blood products side) unless you had no other options. It's clear upper management does not care about you at all. They screw their employees however they can to save a buck. Low pay, tons of stress, little appreciation. When you move on to another opportunity, it's even more clear how bad it really was.

Advice to Management

Care about your employees. You'd rather force someone to quit and have to re-hire and re-train a new employee who might not even stay than give a seasoned employee a small raise and a little appreciation. It's clear all you're worried about is your bottom line.

American Red Cross2016-11-20

"Donor collection specialist"

in Philadelphia, PA

I worked at American Red Cross

Pros

Coworkers are really nice and if you need help they are willing to help you out, flexible hours and days

Cons

Understaff, low pay, upper management are nasty and mean, high then around on staff, donors are nasty at days, check is always wrong

Advice to Management

Need better staffing and better pay rate.

American Red Cross2016-11-14

"Former Lab Assistant"

Former Employee - Lab Assistant in Charlotte, NC

I worked at American Red Cross full-time for more than a year

Pros

Working for a non profit, gained lab experience, full-time employment

Cons

Low wages, understaffed, stubborn upper management, low PTO earnings

Advice to Management

You really need to prioritize your staff. I was excited to get this job thinking it would be a stepping stone into the other labs. I'm currently working on my BS in Biology and thought that after graduation I would want to move over. I was so wrong! I'm glad I got to witness how unorganized and unprofessional you are with your staff. I promptly left after a year and now I'm with a company that pays for me to go to school and who has planned for me to move up when I graduate. Pay us, listen to us, respect us.

American Red Cross2016-10-13
  4. "Analyst"

I worked at American Red Cross

Pros

Somewhat flexible work hours. This box is requiring me to put in 20 words. I would say the mission is a pro, but then seeing how management really has the mission of creating their own fiefdoms, the written mission is not the real mission.

Cons

Apparently there is a 90% probability of loosing all ability to reason and problem solve if you are there for more than 5 years. Extremely immature upper management.

Advice to Management

Do not let anyone from DRD take a leadership role.

American Red Cross2016-10-14

"Unprofessional, Mismanaged, Lack of Communication"

in Tucson, AZ

I have been working at American Red Cross

Pros

Great coworkers Felt proud working for non-profit Good resume booster

Cons

Mismanaged on all levels of organization Unprofessional upper management Pay Accountability

Advice to Management

There are way too many figure head upper management levels between workers and corporate. One of the major issues caused by lack of communication stems from too many moving parts within departments and management structure. I have never worked for such a disorganized and unaccountable company in my life. I had an image in my head for years of the Red Cross being a legitimate organization that would be great to work for. I left work there with a completly different perspective causing me to dread the fact my former co workers will have to continue enduring such a horrid organization. People that had been working there for years went weeks with hundreds of dollars missing from their checks with little to no communication as to when they would get paid. In turn, people were held accountable to almost un realistic expectations where favoritism played a huge part. Constant updates and misinformation distilled from all levels of the organization caused a perpetual low morale. Turnover was huge and much of the older people that had been working there for many years were basically forced out and replaced after pay was cut. For being a charity organization ARC is extremely concerned with profit to the point I wonder what the actual point of the Red Cross is. I would never reccomended to anyone I cared about any role of employment within the American Red Cross.

American Red Cross2016-09-28

"Great cause, terrible job."

Telerecruiter in Omaha, NE

I worked at American Red Cross for more than 3 years

Pros

Great cause with competitive pay, but not much else.

Cons

Disconnect between the cause and daily work Upper Management does not lead or seem to care about staff Depending on the call list, can count on getting cursed at by potential blood donors daily

Advice to Management

Managers and Supervisors should lead by example.

American Red Cross2016-09-01

"PTO is one of the best benefits."

Current Employee - Laboratory Technician in Columbia, SC

I have been working at American Red Cross full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Satisfaction of knowing you are helping save lives. Good PTO and 401k. Many paid holidays and floating holidays too. Have locations nationwide.

Cons

Company is shrinking. Heath care benefits are not as good as they used to be. Upper management seems to be out of touch with the regular employees.

Advice to Management

Take care of your employees

American Red Cross2016-08-15

"Great Company to Work For"

Regional Account Manager in Minneapolis, MN

I have been working at American Red Cross for less than a year

Pros

Lots of autonomy and schedule flexibility. Perfect career for those interested in supporting the mission of the Red Cross - to eliminate human suffering around the world! There are a wide variety of opportunities available within the 5 major divisions. Base salary is reasonable, with great benefits and lots of PTO. Perfect for those with a family needing work/life balance.

Cons

Being part of such a massive global network has it's downside. Little to no on-boarding training and internal technology support and local support are severely lacking. However on the flip-side - lots of on-going remote virtual trainings are available. You are essentially on your own to figure out the ropes (aside from virtual trainings), and are guided to ask as few questions as possible (dig to find your answer) without engaging any actual individuals. Communication between management and employees almost seems discouraged. However this may not be the case in all divisions. Another major con is upper management decisions in continuous (annual) reorganization and mass layoffs. Job security suffers. People with great skills are lost without consideration of the scope of their contributions.

Advice to Management

I'm not sure that advice would ever be seen or heard or considered. This is a global humanitarian network consisting of employees, donors, and volunteers.

American Red Cross2016-07-13

"Disappointed, great employees are overlooked."

Customer Care Associate in Charlotte, NC

I have been working at American Red Cross for more than a year

Pros

Helping those in need. It is a great learning experience.

Cons

Upper management does not utilize the skills of employees or departments. Changes happens often and the new management does not set down with departments to see what is working or what is not working or to share the new vision for the department. Down sizing is often and 1 person is expected to do the job of 3 people.

Advice to Management

Use the skills that employees have and promote within. Be more open with staff and have meetings to discover new ideas.

American Red Cross2016-07-12

"Disaster Program Manager"

Former Employee - Disaster Program Manager in Mansfield, OH

I worked at American Red Cross full-time for more than a year

Pros

1.Helping citizens in the community is the best part. 2. Networking opportunities galore. 3. Opportunity to travel on paid deployments and training. 4. Amazing volunteers (but a limited number)

Cons

1. No work/life balance. 2. Unreasonable work hours, DPM's on average work 55 hours a week. 3. No support from higher ups in the organization. 4. No room for growth. 5. During interviewing for a DPS, I saw upper management blatantly discriminate against someone with a disability.

Advice to Management

Offer support to your boots on the ground staff. Leave Cleveland on occasion to work with your employees that are in outlying areas. Be sure to offer praise in addition to criticism and remember, if your employee fails, it's because YOU as a manager are failing in supporting them.

American Red Cross2016-07-13