American Renal Associates Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

2.6
CEO

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Excellent work/life balance, hourly means you're compensated for all extra work, my boss is excellent (in 9 reviews)

• Professional Atmosphere, opportunity for growth, and good pay (in 8 reviews)

Cons
  • PTO a bit confusing and no 401K match (in 10 reviews)

• Poor management, limited growth, expensive insurance, no 401k match (in 10 reviews)

1. "Hardly Any Training Offered"

Current Employee - Social Worker in Phila, PA
    Current Employee - Social Worker in Phila, PA

I have been working at American Renal Associates full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Pay is above industry average

Cons

PTO lumped together can be confusing

Advice to Management

Provide better training

2. "Stressful but Rewarding"

Current Employee - Ccht in Carrollton, TX
    Current Employee - Ccht in Carrollton, TX

I have been working at American Renal Associates full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good company culture, small business feel, above average hourly pay (no differentials...) safe learning environment, appreciated and a good relationship with corporate. (They actually learn your name).

Absolutely would recommend ARA over most dialysis companies

Cons

No shift differentials, no matching 401k, LONG work hours, exposure risks,

"Troubled Future is evident in high turnover rate"

Current Employee - Billing in Beverly, MA
    Current Employee - Billing in Beverly, MA

I have been working at American Renal Associates full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Commute is better than working in Boston, friendly coworkers, free coffee. All other pros have been revoked recently, such as a full hour for lunch and other perks.

Cons

Workplace benefits for employees have slowly been revoked and continue to disappear. This makes it evident that the company isn't doing well. Lack of knowledgeable management staff and lack of proper training. Management is more concerned with proving their authority over employees rather than bringing in money for the company.

Advice to Management

Very inexperienced and inept individuals in management positions. Upward mobility requirements should be transparent and logical. Favoritism is clear, making it hard for managers to be taken seriously by staff. Show your employees that you are promoting based on merit and reward employees for a job well done.

"Collections"

Current Employee - Collector in Beverly, MA
    Current Employee - Collector in Beverly, MA

I have been working at American Renal Associates full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good pay, quarterly bonuses, casual office enviroment compared to other companies

Cons

FAVORITISM especially with advancement. Poor training, lack of professional knowledgeable supervisors

Advice to Management

Open your eyes.......there are reasons why so many people are leaving certain departments

"Medical Collector/Admissions Coordinator"

Former Employee - Medical Collector in Beverly, MA
    Former Employee - Medical Collector in Beverly, MA

I worked at American Renal Associates full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Somewhat reasonable pay. Quarterly incentives which range up to $1000. Most managers are very cool about time off, calling out sick, coming in late or leaving early. Great yearly Christmas party and a few cookouts during the summer months. Other collectors and admissions coordinators are super nice.

Cons

Where to begin?

First of all, they claim they offer competitive salary with an annual raise, however this is not across the board or fair to everyone. I was told in my interview that the starting wage was $18 per hour, regardless of experience. I was given a $2 raise when I went from admissions into collections, and after 3 years there my raise this year was 1.5% which totaled about 30 cents. I learned many admissions coordinators are being hired at $23-$25 an hour, when collections is supposed to be a promotion from admissions yet admissions is making more money. When confronting management, I was told to "focus on myself and my work and that the cost of living has gone up." Apparently I am excluded from the cost of living going up?

Second of all, management has absolutely no idea what they are doing. They have the directors running teams of near 40 people which is a lot compared to the workload of each employee. The "supervisors" who are under the directors did not earn their titles and have no idea what they are doing either. They got in their position by either quitting and being offered a nice raise and title change in order to stay, or they have kissed the ground of one of the directors and became a puppet doing whatever the director wanted them to do. Many of the supervisors have little knowledge about what they are doing and when being asked a question will often answer it with "try google." The directors do not have a care in the world about the needs of their employees. People are very often talked down to, belittled, and made to feel stupid or like a bother if they ask the directors a question. The directors and supervisors are also super micromanaging. In collections, they will run a report that will show all your account notes from throughout the day. They will review this and question you on any time gaps in your notes. Side note - this position has many aspects that cannot be noted, yet you are spoken to when there's time gaps in your notes. Another huge thing about the directors and supervisors is favoritism. There's a clear and evident difference with how certain people are spoken to versus others. Many complaints have been filed to HR regarding all of these issues and never once has any corrective action been taken by them. Any person in HR that had ever tried to do anything has been mysteriously "let go."

Thirdly, there is zero training. This job can be very grueling and the management feels like the can show you something once and you are expected to be a pro within a day. When things go wrong management never takes the blame and instead it is put on your shoulders, when you never even knew what you were doing in the first place. It's sad that so many people are literally set up to fail from the very beginning.

Fourthly, they recently changed the lunch policy. Before you had two paid 15 min breaks and a non paid half hour lunch. You could combine all these to take an hour lunch and clocking out was not necessary, your time card was just adjusted to remove the half hour non paid break. Policy is now you have to clock out and then clock back in for your 30 minutes, and you can no longer combine them with your two 15s. They say you can take the full hour lunch but have to make up the extra half hour at the end of the day.

Lastly, you are essentially not allowed to communicate with your co workers. Everyone has been spoken to about verbal conversations, and even emails. It's like being in a prison cell chained to your cube and you can't speak to anyone.

Advice to Management

In all, management needs to take some leadership and hospitality courses. There is no reason employees should be made to feel the way they do. We spend probably more time in the office than we do at home so it should be a friendly and welcoming environment. Most people are just miserable and waiting for something else to come along. Boost the morale of the company and employees will want to stay. The turnover rate is so high which can't look good for the company

"Patient Insurance Educator"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Beverly, MA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Beverly, MA

I worked at American Renal Associates full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Competitive hourly rate.

I must enter 5 words but that is literally the only pro,

Cons

Hourly rate is still not worth the misery of working here. These people have no idea how to run a company or lead a team. And worse, they constantly claim that the patient is the top priority but they constantly condradict that and only act on what will get them paid more. They are evasive, dishonest and quite frankly I don't know how they sleep at night. They do just enough to stay within the law and after that anything is fair game to them.

Procedures are inefficient and ineffective. Their priorities are always wrong.

It is frowned up on to take your lunch break. It is also frowned upon to leave at 4:30 even if your hours are 8 to 4:30 - this is because management typically comes in around 10, works until 6:30 so to them it looks like everyone else is "leaving early."

Management typically has no idea what our job entails. Incredibly out of touch. Most annoyingly, if they don't know the answer to a question they tend to just make it up (and most of the time it's wrong).

As a salaried employee they often require you to work late, or through lunch, or take 5:00am flights and then work until 8pm... but if you need to leave 30 minutes early for a doctors appointment or something you have to "make the time up that week." And then you will be constantly berated for not understanding how being salaried works. Really awful.

The first day I started a girl said to me, "If you don't ask questions you can go far in this company." She was right. If you just do as they say and turn a blind eye you will be quickly promoted. If you do question their actions or reasoning you will become their target.

Health insurance is expensive and doesn't offer great coverage.

PTO is not as great as they make it sound. You earn 7.7 hours every two weeks. This includes your vacation, sick time and holidays. 7.7 hours times 26 pay periods equals 200.2 hours per year or 5 weeks. They close the corporate office for 5 holidays and require you to use PTO which brings you down to 4 weeks. Most companies offer almost 10 paid holidays so if you want to be off when you're friends are off, that will bring you to 3 weeks. Use 5 sick days during the year and you're at 2 weeks vacation. It's pretty standard... but they get you in the door bragging about 5 weeks of vacation which just isn't the case.

No 401K match.

No maternity leave other than short term disability required by law.

Really, don't work here. All the negative reviews are right. Each department is different but 90% of people are miserable and just waiting for another offer, or waiting it out so they can have one year there for their resume.

Genuinely awful.

Oh, one more thing... they will make agreements with you when you accept a position (work from home, change your review date, pay you X amount). Then, they will not provide you with a written agreement and they will go back on their end of the deal after you are already working there.

Slimy.

Advice to Management

Walk around the floors, make yourself available and seen. People only want to work for you if they respect you and literally nobody respects you.

Promote people who are good leaders, not just people who know about the job. The job can be learned easier than leadership.

Right now you are doing the bare minimum to remain compliant legally. Instead, just do what's right... "The rest will follow." These patients deserve it.

"If you want to be treated like a child- you've found the right place."

Former Employee - Billing in Beverly, MA
    Former Employee - Billing in Beverly, MA

I worked at American Renal Associates full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I have to write 20 words for this description but there are no pros about this company - at all.

Cons

MANAGEMENT - on all levels. They treat their staff with no respect and speak to us with with no tact or manners. We are micromanaged day in and day out. Hourly employees 1 hour lunch breaks were recently revoked and are now only allowed 30 minutes, while the salaried employees get to keep their 1 hour lunch break and also do not have to clock in & out for their shifts. They are able to keep extremely close tabs on the hourly employees hours worked, but not the salaried. Management used to be flexible with making up a couple hours during a week if you needed to leave early for an appointment, but now they give you a hard time about making hours up and force you to use your PTO most of the time. Speaking of PTO - all of our sick time, vacation and holidays are in one bank that is accrued at 7.7 hours (employees there less than 5 years) hours every 2 week pay period. In an entire year you would accrue 200.2 hours IF you didn't have to use any PTO. Remove the 6 major holidays and your down to 152 hours, which leaves you with roughly 3.8 weeks of PTO. Most companies give you all major holidays, plus 2 floaters. 1 week sick time and 2 weeks vacation- all up front at the beginning of the year. We would essentially have to work an entire year without using our PTO (which is impossible with the holidays built in) to get the PTO benefits most companies give to their employees. It's evident that since the company went public and was subsequently sued by United Health Care, the environment has become extremely toxic to work in. It's clear that their main concern above anything else is revenue and their bottom dollar. Collectors are told to do many things that are borderline illegal/very questionable. I wouldn't recommend this company to anyone.

Advice to Management

Don't force your employees to do illegal or questionably immoral tasks. Step back and take a look at your upper and middle management. Re-evaluate. Bring in a company that specializes in training managers and give them some in depth training on how to treat their employees like humans, not animals. Reinstate the one hour lunch. Look around- your turnover is atrocious and for good reason. It likely won't slow down anytime soon. Find a way to fix it.

"WARNING - DO NOT WORK HERE!!!"

Current Employee - Analyst in Beverly, MA
    Current Employee - Analyst in Beverly, MA

I have been working at American Renal Associates full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Compensation is competitive, people are nice. Not many pros.

Cons

Everything. High-ups are totally clueless as to what management does, and it is absolutely terrible. Crazy high turn-over, more than I have ever seen...but for very good reason. Do not work here.

Advice to Management

Upper management is horrendous. Shady business practices should not be tolerated or encouraged.

"Administrative Assistant"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Beverly, MA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Beverly, MA

I have been working at American Renal Associates full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good company to work for, good work-life balance and decent pay

Cons

no cons at the moment

Advice to Management

none

"American Renal full of games and lies"

Current Employee - Support in Beverly, MA
    Current Employee - Support in Beverly, MA

I have been working at American Renal Associates full-time (More than a year)

Pros

This company pays great .

Cons

There is no professional I experienced this everyday for the 3 years I have worked here , it's like a scene from mean girls , there are clicks and of course certain employees and teams are favored more then others , there is no training , they are always changing rules , certain managers and team leads are way to friendly with certain staff , there is no investigations about things that have been reported to HR they just take the word of whoever is making the report , team l ads are more Supervisors then the actual supervisors .

Advice to Management

Make sure all staff and supervisors follow the same protocol , Explain to supervisors that there is no room for favortism all staff should be treated equal . Put training in place for new employees instead of just throwing them in to the wolves .