American Savings Bank Reviews

Updated Jul 4, 2020

3.2
American Savings Bank President and CEO Richard F. (Rich) Wacker (no image)
Richard F. (Rich) Wacker
Pros
Cons
  • "Probably the worst part is if you work in-store then your branch is open everyday with long hours but that's it really(in 9 reviews)

• "But, reporting wrong doing just once destroys your career at ASB(in 7 reviews)

1. "n/a"

5.0
    Former Employee - Lead Teller in Waipahu, HI

I worked at American Savings Bank full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

good benefits, flexible hours, teamwork

Cons

when team mates intend to call out

June 1, 2020HR Teammate Experience Director

Thank you for sharing your feedback! We’re happy to hear that you enjoyed your experience on the ASB Dream Team. Creating a great place to work is so important to us, and we appreciate you sharing your thoughts.

2. "Great culture, great benefits, great people"

4.0
    Current Employee - Director

I have been working at American Savings Bank full-time

Pros

Beautiful campus where you can work anywhere in the building, if job allows, including huge lanai Free Starbucks coffee, free desserts in break room every month Really care about teammates (they don’t call you employees) and customers Take their time before making big decisions Quick to terminate non-performers

Cons

Can be a bit political near the top Lots of talk not so much action Not work from home friendly

June 11, 2020HR Teammate Experience Director

3. "Heavy on lip service with zero capability to deliver"

Former Employee - Professional in Honolulu, HI

I worked at American Savings Bank full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Health and retirement benefits are mainstream. Good to get overview of standard bank operations to prepare you for real career.

Cons

I wonder how the pool of executive management got to where they are esp the COO. Most have bad vision vision of where bank should be. Investing millions of dollars for office infrastructure that were counter to world class work culture tells you that they focus on employee control (minutia) rather than developing and motivating talented people.

July 8, 2020HR Teammate Experience Director

Thank you for sharing your feedback. We’re sorry to hear about your experience and are available to talk further if you’re interested in sharing thoughts directly. If so, please email us at recruitment@asbhawaii.com.

4. "It’s not good"

Former Employee - Manager

I worked at American Savings Bank full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Some really nice people work there. There is free coffee. Some leadership is very talented. Rich, the CEO is very, very smart and a genuinely nice person.

Cons

Septic culture. Childlike leadership. Bizarre power plays. Not a family friendly workplace. HR likes to flex and do interesting things like claw back benefits, instruct employees not to wear face masks, or refuse to let some employees work from home for reasons unspecified (while select few do have this option). Most of the bank’s technology is easily 30 to 40 years old and hanging on by a thread. The mentality of tech and leadership teams is to let it break and point a finger at someone internally. The middle management tier is full of wildly unqualified team mates. The company does not value or trust technology, which makes working on any project very slow and painful . Nothing gets done, while the politics will poison you. Bare minimum benefits touted as top tier.

5. "ASB, do better"

Former Employee - Manager in Honolulu, HI

I worked at American Savings Bank full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Health benefits, 401k, Paid Time Off, Pet Insurance

Cons

Workplace Culture, Executives, Senior Managers, Intimidation from Senior Management

June 15, 2020HR Teammate Experience Director

6. "Horrible place to work"

Former Employee - Personal Banker

I worked at American Savings Bank full-time for more than a year

Pros

Training is good. A good place to get your feet in the door in the banking industry.

Cons

Very high turnover rates. Managers scam the system and get away with it. They pretend that they care about the employees, but they really don't. Highschool like work environment.

June 15, 2020HR Teammate Experience Director

7. "Great place to work"

5.0
    Former Employee - Teller

I worked at American Savings Bank part-time for more than 3 years

Pros

The company culture is very positive. There's lots of room to work your way up if you have the drive.

Cons

If you're not good at sales, you'll have some challenges.

May 13, 2020HR Teammate Experience Director

8. "Be Aware and Do Your Own Research"

Former Employee - Teammate

I worked at American Savings Bank full-time

Pros

Benefits, Personal Time Off, Work Environment, 401K Matching

Cons

How you are treated when leaving a company speaks volumes about the company and the leadership culture. I would never wish anyone else to be treated in the manner I was treated. The longer you stay the more you'll see that there is a high turnover rate because of rotten parts of the teammate culture. Don't be surprised, when you decide to leave, or are told to leave, you will immediately become shunned and generally treated as if you don't exist. I take full responsibility that I could have handled certain situations differently and have never denied that fact. Beware that even though the company encourages you to speak up when you see an issue, if you decide to challenge certain senior leaders it is likely you will be fired or your position eliminated. I did and it was immediately reported to leadership that I was the problem because I wouldn't fall in line. It became clear that I was expected to lead two levels up my supervision chain and make senior teammates do their job. Don't be surprised to find you are talked about to outside ASB business partners and contractors and placed on the "do not rehire" list with no formal HR actions or documentation. I'm not implying that the whole company and all departments are this way - just certain areas and specifically five teammates - all of whom are senior leaders. I encourage you to do your research and don't get caught off guard like I was.

June 8, 2020HR Teammate Experience Director

9. "Good benefits/poor pay"

Former Employee - Sales Coordinator in Honolulu, HI

I worked at American Savings Bank full-time for more than a year

Pros

They have good benefits, PTO, and try to promote a super positive company culture (on the bank side at least, but less so in the investments and insurance division.)

Cons

As a Sales Coordinator on the investments side of the bank, I assisted Financial Advisors. We were essentially assistants to the FAs, many who are making 6 figures, yet we were paid $15/hr. and there were no real opportunities for significant raises.

March 9, 2020

Thank you for sharing your feedback. We’ll take this into consideration as we continue to improve our teammate experience. If you’d like to share more about your experience, please email us at recruitment@asbhawaii.com.

"Hypocritical and hostile work environment."

I worked at American Savings Bank

Pros

Payed time off. Fun coworkers.

Cons

Management, Human Resources protecting hire ups, favoritism. Human Resources and management says one thing to your face and then goes behind your back to protect hire-ups from wrong doing. If you are a good employee and report wrong doing they discourage it. If you volunteer, follow the rules, help create positive change, and come up with ideas to create a better work environment doesn’t do you any good. If you question anything you are automatically blacklisted. Other employees who do bare minimum get hired back. But, employees who do what is best for the company, but report wrong doing are black listed. Gave two weeks notice, tried my best, got compliments from customers, volunteered, problem solved. But, reporting wrong doing just once destroys your career at ASB.

March 17, 2020HR Teammate Experience Director