American Savings Bank Reviews

Updated Mar 16, 2021

3.4
American Savings Bank President and CEO Richard F. (Rich) Wacker (no image)
Richard F. (Rich) Wacker
Pros
  • "Room for movement, great benefits, new campus, and lots of opportunities to volunteer in the community(in 15 reviews)

• "good benefits, flexible hours, teamwork(in 12 reviews)

• Cons
  • "Probably the worst part is if you work in-store then your branch is open everyday with long hours but that's it really(in 8 reviews)

• "There are no Cons this Bank is the best bank in Hawaii to work for it take cares of the employees(in 7 reviews)

• More Pros and Cons
    Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.
    1. 5.0
      Former Employee, less than 1 year

Excellent benefits, excellent culture, supportive work environment

Mar 16, 2021 - Loan Processor in Buffalo, NY
      Business Outlook

Pros

Great benefits, lots of PTO, supportive company culture, 401k match, good training, willing to take on fresh college grads with no or limited experience.

Cons

Pay is good but not great. That may be more reflective of the Hawaii job market than ASB though.

HR Teammate Experience Director

Thank you for sharing your feedback! We’re happy to hear that you're enjoying your experience on the ASB Dream Team. Creating a great place to work is so important to us, and we appreciate you sharing your thoughts.

2. 2.0
      Current Employee, more than 3 years

If you like a very laid back company, this is it.

Jan 7, 2021 - Branch Personnel in Honolulu, HI
      Business Outlook

Pros

*Good HR *Some managers are flexible with scheduling *Pay is known as higher than the other major local Hawaiian banks *8 hours of Wellness PTO and 8 hours of Birthday PTO *Not too strict with hitting the goals, but still highly recommended and it is competitive

Cons

*Too laid back. If you tend to feel guilty for slacking off, do not work here. Bad leadership examples. Some teammates I have worked or am working with literally spent their time at work to assist their kid(s) to do homework while getting paid, instead of assisting customers or do their job . Some are always on social media. Some are always out and we do not know why. This resulted in you working hard, multi tasking and assisting customers in whatever your physical condition is, since others are busy with their own family affairs (again, while getting paid). *The "Chain of Command" culture is very strong. Regardless of how skillful you are and how the company can benefit more if they are willing to invest in you today, it won't happen. They will always go with seniority, regardless or the seniors' skills. At the end, the senior will get the title, acknowledgment and pay increase while you are the one that does the job behind the scene because you are willing to always learn and take on challenges.

HR Teammate Experience Director

Thank you for sharing your feedback. We’re available to talk further if you’re interested in sharing thoughts directly. If so, please email us at recruitment@asbhawaii.com.

3. 3.0

Standard cubicle job

Mar 16, 2021 - Credit Risk Analyst
      Business Outlook

Pros

Amazing views of the makai and mauka. Friendly co-workers. Good work life balance in the sense that work isn't too stressful and you can take your time.

Cons

Not as much opportunities to move up or be challenged or grow. Slow paced. Open floor plan which means you have to look busier than you are because there isn't a lot of work to do. If you want to move up, you really have to go and get it yourself. Highly encouraged to eat in the cafeteria with everyone.

HR Teammate Experience Director

Thank you for sharing your feedback! Creating a great place to work is so important to us, and we appreciate you sharing your thoughts.

4. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 8 years

COVID proves how much they care

Feb 5, 2021 - Anonymous Employee in Honolulu, HI
      Business Outlook

Pros

During COVID. They have provided lunches for us. Extra pay for working on site when others worked remotely. A special no interest loan program and other cool stuff. I love my company!!!

Cons

It is stressful to work during Covid.

5. 5.0
      Current Employee, less than 1 year

PTO

Feb 13, 2021 - Teller
      Business Outlook

Pros

PTO is very generous. Starting is 18 days up to 35 days, depending on years of service.

Cons

Health insurance is on the high side.

6. 3.0

Sales Analyst

Mar 15, 2021 - Sales Analyst in Honolulu, HI
      Business Outlook

Pros

Friendly peers, laid back, and stable.

Cons

Not open to new ideas or more efficient workflows if it is different than what they currently do even though they emphasize the opposite.

7. 1.0

Be Aware and Do Your Own Research

Jun 1, 2020 - Teammate
      Business Outlook

Pros

Benefits, Personal Time Off, Work Environment, 401K Matching

Cons

How you are treated when leaving a company speaks volumes about the company and the leadership culture. I would never wish anyone else to be treated in the manner I was treated. The longer you stay the more you'll see that there is a high turnover rate because of rotten parts of the teammate culture. Don't be surprised, when you decide to leave, or are told to leave, you will immediately become shunned and generally treated as if you don't exist. I take full responsibility that I could have handled certain situations differently and have never denied that fact. Beware that even though the company encourages you to speak up when you see an issue, if you decide to challenge certain senior leaders it is likely you will be fired or your position eliminated. I did and it was immediately reported to leadership that I was the problem because I wouldn't fall in line. It became clear that I was expected to lead two levels up my supervision chain and make senior teammates do their job. Don't be surprised to find you are talked about to outside ASB business partners and contractors and placed on the "do not rehire" list with no formal HR actions or documentation. I'm not implying that the whole company and all departments are this way - just certain areas and specifically five teammates - all of whom are senior leaders. I encourage you to do your research and don't get caught off guard like I was.

3 people found this review helpful

HR Teammate Experience Director

Thank you for sharing your feedback. We’re sorry to hear about your experience and are available to talk further if you’re interested in sharing thoughts directly. If so, please email us at recruitment@asbhawaii.com.

8. 4.0
      Former Employee, more than 1 year

Helpdesk Analyst

Dec 28, 2020 - Helpdesk Analyst in Honolulu, HI
      Business Outlook

Pros

Everyone was very helpful and kind

Cons

IT department was going through some changes and was difficult to see future goals of the company

HR Teammate Experience Director

Thank you for sharing your feedback! We’re available to talk further if you’re interested in sharing thoughts directly. If so, please email us at recruitment@asbhawaii.com.

9. 4.0
      Current Employee, less than 1 year

Great company. Lacks resources

Nov 19, 2020 - Anonymous Employee
      Business Outlook

Pros

Unique Benefits. Really care about employees and customers.

Cons

Lacks resources and systems to get work done. Individually have to do work that other banks have departments for

10. 4.0
      Former Employee, more than 1 year

A growing financial institution

Aug 27, 2020 - Platform Manager in Honolulu, HI
      Business Outlook

Pros

There are a great deal of opportunities to grow as long as you are patient. Financial institutions will always be more reserved in making decisions with the company strategy and this is important if there are close competitors. The work environment is positive and there are many opportunities to help others while also being granted to the opportunity to learn as well.

Cons

There have been many organizational changes and growing pains as the company has continued to grow. Again, if you are patient this may not be negative. If dynamic changes are not an issue, this is not a problem.

HR Teammate Experience Director

Thank you for sharing your feedback! We’re happy to hear that you enjoyed your experience on the ASB Dream Team. Creating a great place to work is so important to us, and we appreciate you sharing your thoughts.

Viewing 1 - 10 of 132 Reviews