American Seafoods Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated November 15, 2016

2.3
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Bernt O. Bodal

1. "A little behind the curve"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

I have been working at American Seafoods (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great benefits, salaries are competitive and technologies are fairly current.

Cons

"Old-school" business environment, dress codes, flex time very limited, top-down management style: "do as I say, not as I do"

2. "Beware!"

Former Contractor - Anonymous Contractor in Seattle, WA
    Former Contractor - Anonymous Contractor in Seattle, WA

I worked at American Seafoods as a contractor

Pros

It can be a good experience. Money.

Cons

Back stabbing. Human resources can't be trusted. They do not go by their own mission statement. They aren't honest and open.. Just be careful not to offend someone and if you do hold on tight because they can be very malicious.

Advice to Management

Follow your own mission and vision statement. Treat the people who make you money with respect and dignity not like subservient slaves.

"Bad management practices"

Former Employee - Engineer in Dutch Harbor, AK
    Former Employee - Engineer in Dutch Harbor, AK

I worked at American Seafoods full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Some good food. Excellent staterooms. Has Internet and direct tv. Some really cool folks to work with. Nice looking boAts, that are not too old.

Cons

Been working in fishing industry for 9 years with another company. Was offered a engineering position with American Seafoods. Quit my job with my other company, just to find out the ASC offer was a fraud by the HR folks. My only other choice was being a processor. Took a processor position. Was told I would have to work in the freezer hold for 3.5 months, with no rotation. I would also gave to provide my own freezer gloves, since they didn't have any. I was given gloves by another processor, since I didn't bring Any. I only last 2 weeks, due to the hard work in the freezer. They only have 2 folks working in the freezer hold, which hold over 1 million lbs of fish. I asked to be rotated...the foreman stated...either suck it up or quit! I finished my 2 week and given a bad eval. ASC is a horrible place to work at...would not recommend it anyone. The boat I was on is the Northern Jaeger

Advice to Management

Get a rotation going among positions. Put at least 3 folks in the freezer hold, and provide freezer gloves. Make it mandatory that at least 10min wArm up break out of the freezer every hour.

5. "This job gave me a great deal of insight in the electrical and IT industry. i have gained experience in many traits."

Current Contractor - Combi
    Current Contractor - Combi

I have been working at American Seafoods as a contractor (More than 3 years)

Pros

It's a great way to pay off school and save a lot of money. But very stressful at the same time.

Cons

You work with many people from all over the world with many different cultural views, which adds a little strain to the work environment.

Advice to Management

Too many family ties within the chain of command. Makes the work place unfair.

6. "Review of American Seafoods"

Current Employee - Compliance Manager in New Bedford, MA
    Current Employee - Compliance Manager in New Bedford, MA

I have been working at American Seafoods full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Besides, the big salary there were no pros

Cons

They compromise their worker's safety in a quest for higher profits.

Advice to Management

Take worker safety seriously.

7. "fish processor"

Former Contractor - Fish Processor in Dutch Harbor, AK
    Former Contractor - Fish Processor in Dutch Harbor, AK

I worked at American Seafoods as a contractor (More than 8 years)

Pros

Good salary, pay per share and good relationship between the employees and employer.

Cons

It is a company that i can refer friend or relative for.

Advice to Management

the company can keep the same management.

8. "trawlers: not really the place for female workers"

Former Contractor - Processor in Seattle, WA
    Former Contractor - Processor in Seattle, WA

I worked at American Seafoods as a contractor (More than a year)

Pros

working factory trawlers in alaska was the best legal way to make a quick buck back in the day, contracts were 90 days and can extend. harder workers could make their way to the better performing FTs

Cons

100+ people & less than 10% women out to sea for 3 months just a few stops to Dutch to offload- you do the math. sexual harassment is not a company accepted policy- uh reported, at least those who wanted to work. it's a hard, bone grinding job, mentally & physically. Know what you're getting into before you sign up.

Advice to Management

last year of employment was 1999, no option for that

"Total good ol boy mentality, mngmt is a clique."

Former Employee - Operations in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Operations in Seattle, WA

Pros

Use them to network within the industry.

Cons

If you aren't Norwegian or in with the "popular" management group you are overlooked and disregarded. Unfair bias against women and minorities.

Advice to Management

Management is not "managed", it's out of control in regards to checks and balances. There isn't any "boundaries". NO accountabiliy anywhere within management. It was embarrassing to hear the industry leaders talk about how awful the management behaves.