American Senior Benefits Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

3.4
Jim Sweeney

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • ASB provides great training and support (in 4 reviews)

• Great job helping seniors with insurance products (in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • simply READ THE CONTRACT before you sign it (in 3 reviews)

• endless cold calls followed by a low conversion of field appointments (in 4 reviews)

"Successful Agent"

Current Employee - Agent in Maple Grove, MN
    Current Employee - Agent in Maple Grove, MN

I have been working at American Senior Benefits full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

"Putting People Back in the People Business" is who we are and we live by this. I've been with ASB since 2009. I struggled as a new agent and new to the sales industry. I kept at it until I got it right, and now I'm earning a good living.
     There is no better opportunity, no ceiling, and you get what you put into it. They are about training, support and growth. I am proud to be a part of this agency, and I will be around for life.

Cons

The only way to fail, is to not put in the work. Starting out you need do cold calling. It's not fun, but you have to start somewhere. I've seen a lot of agents fade out.. but only because they didn't commit to doing the work. They had the ability, but didn't give it time (or their time). No one's going to spoon feed you. Well maybe a little, but at some point you need to be cut off so you can learn and grow. The difference between a starving agent, and a successful agent, is the diligence shown in the beginning of their career and the consistency in your work week.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you are doing. I appreciate you all!

"Awesome Opportunity"

Current Employee - RSM in Chico, CA
    Current Employee - RSM in Chico, CA

I have been working at American Senior Benefits full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

What an incredible life I've been blessed to offer my family. You have the opportunity to make as much money as you want. You just have to be willing to go get it.

Cons

Not everyone realizes all you want to do is help them. Getting in front of people so you can tell them your story is always a challenge, but if you keep with it and create relationships it all gets easier.

Advice to Management

Agents need to take ownership in their successes and their struggles. Managers are there for support. Not to accept blame.

"Do your research...."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in West Jordan, UT
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in West Jordan, UT

I worked at American Senior Benefits full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The company as a whole is not a bad company, however each Regional Manager (franchise owner) has their own methods which creates inconsistencies within the company. The individual agents and managers nationally are a great group of individuals and I have created some wonderful long-lasting relationships. The Industry this company falls into is why I do this!! I love the industry.

Cons

Read the reviews online. Make sure you note what area those reviews are originating, some areas are better than others but ultimately READ THE CONTRACT before you sign anything and make sure you research other companies before you make a decision. You can search for common 'Red Flags' within insurance company models. I encourage everyone interested in this career choice to do so and AGAIN read the contract before signing anything. The model is really geared toward the managers and promoting managers within the agency.

I was a highly successful agent and manager with this company. I learned a lot, which is why I could not stay.

My negative review of the company is based primarily how things are handled in the Salt Lake Region, which covers Utah, Idaho, Colorado and some other areas.

Advice to Management

My advice would be to develop consistencies with your Regional Sales Managers on a national basis. Also to pass more commission down to the newer agents who struggle to get started in the first place.

"Sales Manager"

Former Employee - Sales Manager in Salt Lake City, UT
    Former Employee - Sales Manager in Salt Lake City, UT

I worked at American Senior Benefits full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

This is a manager centric business model so if you are manager you will benefit the most. They spend a lot of money on recruiting which helps you as a manager overcome the high agent turnover rate

Cons

It's very difficult for agents to succeed based on the lower commission levels. They say the training and lead support justifies the lower commission levels but you can get the same support at a significantly higher commission rate at other organizations. They have a 3 year Vesting schedule...Ridiculous and you are silly if you sign their contract. Commissions get paid to ASB not you so if you leave and they think you break the contract they simply stop paying you until they can come up with proof...that's assuming you are even vested at that point. No reason to sign up for a 3 yr vesting schedule or have your commissions assigned to the agency when you can get lifetime vesting on day 1 and commissions paid directly to you from the insurance companies at several other similar organizations. I'm convinced the only people that sign up to work at American Senior Benefits are people new to the insurance industry and don't have a clue or agents from other organizations who are getting screwed if harder. Don't take my word for it....simply READ THE CONTRACT before you sign it! By the way...this is coming from a top producer who left ASB and is making way more money while enjoying actual ownership of my business.

Advice to Management

You really need to have carriers do the trainings...much more engaging and enlightening.

"Pyramid Scheme"

Former Employee - Insurance Agent in Boise, ID
    Former Employee - Insurance Agent in Boise, ID

I worked at American Senior Benefits full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

They will pay for your insurance license training. You won't have to worry about locking up because they won't give you a key!

Cons

You pay them to work for them. They charge you for office expenses and require you to purchase their leads. You are in the negative from day one. Even if you are a high performer you will struggle to make any money at all. I believe that they rely on the influx of new "employees" paying office expenses to cover their own costs. On top of that, most of your office needs will occur when the office is closed (BUT YOU PAY THEM FOR OFFICE EXPENSES!). Be prepared to have a home office in order to get your work done.

Commissions are very meager.

Advice to Management

You should be ashamed of yourselves for the way you treat your "employees." You demand that they work only for you, require them to pay office expenses and buy your leads, yet your commissions are paltry. I knew sales leaders who were receiving food stamps and selling plasma to buy groceries.

"Recruiting Director"

Current Employee - Recruiting Coordinator in West Jordan, UT
    Current Employee - Recruiting Coordinator in West Jordan, UT

I have been working at American Senior Benefits full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I love seeing people come into our business and their lives change! I work with all of the agents each day and I know first hand what kind of money they are making and the lifestyle they are living. It's wonderful to see people take back their freedom.

Cons

The biggest con for me isn't with the company, it's with those people who aren't willing to recognize that they are opening a business. When you open a business you need to be willing to put in the time, hard work and money.

7. "Best Value proposition in the business"

I have been working at American Senior Benefits full-time (More than a year)

Pros

If you want to make a difference in a life, this is the place to be. I Started in 2015. Was very hard at the beginning. Now I get to come and go as I want. Just got moved up and now beginning to recruit.

ASB teaches system in which new people can learn how to make money selling insurance to seniors. The market continues to grow.

The value proposition that ASB gives is phenomenal. Gives you full ownership within 10 years of your book of business. Very few insurance positions offer that large of a return. Earnings are directly tied to your ability.

Cons

Earnings are directly tied to your ability. If you're not cut out for this type of sales, The cons list can be very long. However, if you like the insurance business but you're at the wrong place this is the best place to be. When you are building your business, there are long hours and the balance between work and family/play is out of whack. However, One soon becomes very adept at doing the work and there is a lot of ability to have great family time and fun.

Advice to Management

There is none to give. If you're in management at American Senior Benefits you have earned it by hard work, dedication to service, and a high level of integrity.

"Administrative Assistant"

I worked at American Senior Benefits full-time

Pros

How low can you rate a company that calls you in for a job that doesn't exist?

Cons

This was a bait & switch employment situation. I was contacted to interview for an administrative position. Several other women applied for different positions. We sat around a table while a manager started to give us a slide presentation of the company - - for insurance sales only. None of us were seeking that type of job. One asked about the positions we were told this interview would cover. Well, it appears there are no other positions. We all stood up and left the building. They continued to call me again every few weeks for several months.

Advice to Management

Don't lie to people.

"upside potential with a high risk platform"

I worked at American Senior Benefits full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

opportunity to make commission and grow your own team

Cons

endless cold calls followed by a low conversion of field appointments. Most regions arent equipped for back office support. systems are vastly different from office to office, there is no consistency

Advice to Management

continue to evolve.

"Too many lies"

Former Employee - Insurance Broker in Saint Louis, MO
    Former Employee - Insurance Broker in Saint Louis, MO

I worked at American Senior Benefits full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Uhhh you work on your own.

Cons

Said no cold calling, theres lots of cold calling. Said no door knocking, better believe youre knocking doors. Said I could make 45k/year, no one at that branch even gets close to 30k. Said you dont work saturdays, you have to work saturdays to make money.

Advice to Management

Tell the truth about how the company works. Dont lie to people. Things are eventually going to be figured out.