American Senior Benefits Reviews | Glassdoor

3.2
Rating Trends Rating Trends
CEO

Pros
Cons
  • Your even told to call individuals on the Do Not Call list that have registered with the FCC (in 3 reviews)

• Grueling hours, phone calls and other cold calls, group critiques (in 3 reviews)

1. "Insurance Agent"

Current Employee - Insurance Agent in Ogden, UT
    Current Employee - Insurance Agent in Ogden, UT

I have been working at American Senior Benefits full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

ASB provides great training and support. I work here because I am treated fairly and am able to provide for my family in ways I could never do working elsewhere. I have a good work/life balance where I can spend the time with my family that I want and still grow my business. The workplace atmosphere here is friendly and supportive.

Cons

This career can be difficult to start in financially and commissions can sometimes be slow coming in. Remember that you are starting a business! New agents should have several months of reserve income (i.e. savings) that they are able to use.

Advice to Management

Since some lead sources are hit and miss from month to month, I would improve the consistency (quantity and quality) of those leads.

2. "Agent"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Ocala, FL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Ocala, FL

I have been working at American Senior Benefits full-time (More than a year)

Pros

It's overwhelming at first but the training and support is great. Everyone really want to see you succeed. They're promoting from within and opening new locations so there are definitely growth opportunities if you put in the effort. Once you're here a while, you also get a lot of flexibility.

Cons

Requires a lot of hard work and extra hours when you're new.

3. "Licensed Insurance Agent"

I worked at American Senior Benefits full-time

Pros

Great People, full srvice lead system

Cons

Eat what you kill compensation wise

Advice to Management

Mgmt could employ more sales and product training. Invest in your employees.

5. "Recruiter"

Current Employee - Recruiter in West Jordan, UT
    Current Employee - Recruiter in West Jordan, UT

I have been working at American Senior Benefits part-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Plain and simple
    I love my job!

I have been here for five years and it's home away from home. Wayne is the best boss I have EVER had in the years of working. He is such a kind and generous man.

Wayne Gray is a veteran of 36 years in the insurance industry. He has worked as a home office executive for Prudential, MetLife, and Mutual of Omaha. He has been a featured speaker for many insurance companies, the National Association of Insurance and Financial Advisers (NAIFA) and community organizations. He served as a moderator for the industries Agency Management Training Course (AMTC). He is active in the international General Agents and Managers Association (GAMA). Wayne is well known in the industry for his skills in agency building, new agent development, training and agent retention.

Wayne started as an insurance agent at age 24. He averaged over 250 life sales per year for the next three years. Since then he has built six nationally awarded agencies for Prudential, MetLife, Business Men’s Assurance, One America and American Senior Benefits.

In August of 2006 Wayne took the opportunity to begin building an agency of his own. He had strong feelings about building an organization around prospecting sources provided by the agency, not the new agent’s family and friends. He started with two agents working out of his living room. Today, they are the largest career insurance agency in Utah and Idaho in the Senior Market and have become a leading agency nationally with the parent company they are contracted with, American Senior Benefits (ASB). Wayne Gray is the CEO and Owner of Legacy Insurance and Financial Services, LLC. He serves as the Regional Manager for ASB covering Utah and Idaho. He also serves on the national Advisory Board for American Senior Benefits. In 2014 his agency became the #1 Region out of 55 nationally for ASB. They won that award again in 2015. Today, the agency is made up of six offices with over 70 agents and 16 support staff.

Cons

There are no cons on my end!

Advice to Management

management is AMAZING!!!

"Anger Management"

Former Employee - Recruiter in West Jordan, UT
    Former Employee - Recruiter in West Jordan, UT

I worked at American Senior Benefits full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The office staff and agents are amazing. I've never worked with better people.

Cons

The owner is a nightmare. He cannot manage his office or his temper. He has antiquated ideas of how business works and his inability to embrace change is going to be the thing that costs him his business, in addition to his toddler-like temper tantrums. He dresses down employees at a whim. He will not implement feedback. He is a tyrant and threatening in demeanor. I've never worked somewhere where I was treated so horribly. I think people work here out of loyalty to each other but not out of loyalty to the owners. If it were a bigger firm with an HR office he would have been fired by corporate long ago. They claim to run an office on integrity but I have yet to see it.

Advice to Management

The Grays needs to be released of their positions by the owners of American Senior Benefits.

7. "Licensed Insurance Agent"

Current Employee - Licensed Insurance Agent in Ogden, UT
    Current Employee - Licensed Insurance Agent in Ogden, UT

I have been working at American Senior Benefits full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

American Senior Benefits has 50+ Regional Offices throughout the United States. The owners are very ethical men. They look out for their agents. The Salt Lake Regional Office has 6 offices. The owners of the Salt Lake Regional Offices are very honest men. They have high ethics and are helping the agents succeed. The training is suburb. I have learned so much. The main concern is to help our clients. The client’s interests always come first. American Senior Benefits have many lead sources. I don't run out of people I can call to set up an appointment to meet. The commissions are great. We are a brokerage, so there are many companies and products I can choose to help my clients. I am so glad I have found a place I will be with for the remainder of my career.

Cons

You need a 3 month reserve so you can wait for your income to be sustainable.

8. "Insurance Agent"

Current Employee - Insurance Agent in Boise, ID
    Current Employee - Insurance Agent in Boise, ID

Pros

ASB is a nation wide company with over 60 regions. Each region is owned and operated independently of the other regions. It is important to know seeing a reviews for Florida or Texas that these are completely different companies simply contracting with ASB nationally for bulk buying power. The individual management practices have no carry over from one region to an other. This review I am writing is for the Mountain States Regions that currently covers Utah and Idaho. So when making comparisons on these sites please make sure you are looking at the region you are interested in starting to work.

I have been with the company for 18 months in the Boise office. They promised 50K my first year I almost did that. I also took 5 weeks vacation. I have found the owners and management to be very approachable and honest. The company is exactly what was pitched to me. I have seen several people come and go over the last year. Without exception those who were not able to make this work were people who did not work the system as explained. They did not make the needed phone calls (4-6 hours a week), they did not keep a full schedule, they did not attend the weekly training meetings. This is a difficult job and not for everyone however it is exactly as it is explained in the career seminar.

I would recommend this company to anyone willing to work hard and who is tired of corporate america and want to be in charge of their own destiny. Great company, great people and incredible opportunity.

Cons

The first 3 months are hard. You need to have savings or income from a spouse for this time. Once you get past this point you should average 800-1000 per week. However there are weeks with no paychecks and other weeks where you make 3000. It is very inconsistent with lots of ups and downs. Pretty stressful for the first year until you start getting residuals. Hard but worth it.

Advice to Management

Make sure spouses, partners or significant others are well informed of the first year income and time requirements. Having them attend the career seminar and parts of the interview process has proven very important in selecting successful candidates.

9. "Word given,word not kept"

I have been working at American Senior Benefits full-time

Pros

Have fun with your team. Learn about many different products available.

Cons

Commission only. Most deals are split 50/50. They say your first yr you'll easily make $24k and residuals start year two...not exactly. Travel required. If you are the sole source of income for your family, I don't recommend working here.

Advice to Management

Be more transparent to potential emplyees

"Former Manager"

Former Employee - Manager in Ocala, FL
    Former Employee - Manager in Ocala, FL

I worked at American Senior Benefits full-time

Pros

Lot of products to sell just like any other agency except auto and home owners insurans

Cons

Lots of outbound cold calling on the phone, reminds of of a Penny Stock Broker operation. Your even told to call individuals on the Do Not Call list that have registered with the FCC. I refused to call them and was told everybody here does and no one has gotten in trouble and if the person sates the the are on the DNC list just say .. sorry I'll remove you from our data base. Never happens.

Advice to Management

Pay the agent your owe money to, its the right thing to do.

11. ""Terrible""

Former Employee - Insurance Agent in Farmington, CT
    Former Employee - Insurance Agent in Farmington, CT

Pros

Come and go as you please

Cons

A luck game not a job
    You have to buy your own leads they do not pay for leads.
    They make excuses as to why leads are not available all the time to sell
    A go broke trap .......Save your life run away from this place they lie