American Society for Clinical Pathology Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-time Part-time

2.5
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Joel M. Shilling, MD, FASCP

1. "Okay company, but hierarchical (for only 150 employees)"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I worked at American Society for Clinical Pathology full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Small office, good benefits with a pension plan, great location in the loop, flexible work schedule

Cons

Gossip is everyone, there were 5 layers of management for 150 people.

Advice to Management

Remove the poor performers

2. "Medical Laboratory Scientist"

Current Employee - Medical Laboratory Scientist in Conyers, GA
    Current Employee - Medical Laboratory Scientist in Conyers, GA

I have been working at American Society for Clinical Pathology full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

It is a great place to do continuing education.

Cons

I don't have a con.

"Great people, good memories"

Former Employee - Web Content Manager in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Web Content Manager in Chicago, IL

I worked at American Society for Clinical Pathology full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

No micro-managers
    Project slow-downs between xmas & new years were encouraged
    Good human beings to work with...

Cons

As most non-profits must deal with, competitive salary is probably a challenge

4. "Revolving Door"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

Pros

* light work load ...

Cons

management is close door and pick favorites to go around ....

5. "HTL"

Former Employee - HTL in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - HTL in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at American Society for Clinical Pathology full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

So far so good . There are a lot chance to get a job.

Cons

Its certificates are not accepted in some states.

"Don't even bother to apply. You'll regret it!"

Former Employee - Membership in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Membership in Chicago, IL

I worked at American Society for Clinical Pathology full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

There were no pros. The cons so outweighed the pros that it canceled out the pros and it wasn't worth working for ASCP.

Cons

Most people quit. The place was a total revolving door. Those that were fired, were fired unfairly, unjustly, and viciously, which is exactly what happened to me. Every time a negative post appeared on this site, instead of learning from it, management would conduct a malicious witch hunt that made the staff miserable. There was very little talent and accountability at the upper levels, mostly a group of egotistical, grandiose people that used their position for their own advantage.

Advice to Management

I have no advice because it would make no difference to management. Management didn't care about the staffs opinions or feelings. The place operated on a gang mentality that caused a very toxic office environment. Management had their own agenda that was not in the best interest of the organization, its employees, or its members.

7. "Work hard and you'll succeed"

Current Employee - Manager in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Manager in Chicago, IL

I have been working at American Society for Clinical Pathology full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I like working here because my immediate supervisor sets reasonable goals that are a (good, healthy yoga) stretch for me. In addition, my supervisor is supportive and willing to go to bat for me and my colleagues.

My colleagues in other departments are very smart- after all, ASCP serves scientists, so we employ many scientists and science-writers.

The benefits are good (like flex time, healthcare, wellness programs and incentives), and we have a Morale Committee that takes care of monthly treats for the entire office.

Cons

While I respect the executive leadership, I think they can be... intense. This doesn't necessarily hinder my professional progress or projects.

Advice to Management

I do not have advice at this time.

8. "Competitive salaries for a NFP organization w/ some good, talented folks"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I have been working at American Society for Clinical Pathology full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The location is excellent. It's close to everything. Salaries are very competitive, and management is not opposed to bonuses for those that perform....and performance IS rewarded. I've found that once I proved that I was a dedicated and competent worker, it was easy to collaborate with all of the other disciplines here. They are very supportive, as long as you're willing to work as hard as they do.

Secondly, the company allows for flex time, which is absolutely awesome!

Lastly, most of the staff seem to be very happy, and the work environment is, for the most part, quite positive.

Cons

There seems to be some employees who, despite their incompetency, have managed to linger around the organization for awhile. These people are impediments to doing a good job, and may make your job tougher if you are relying on them. They also seem to be the most vocal about anything they perceive as negative, and like to spread their negativity. Luckily, there seems to be only a handful of these types of people.

Advice to Management

Cut out the dead weight in the organization...true, there's very little of it, but one rotten apple can spoil the whole basket, right?

"It's not the worst company I've worked for, but..."

I worked at American Society for Clinical Pathology full-time

Pros

It's difficult to put together a genuine list of pros. Here is my attempt:
    1) Location - The office has a convenient location in the Loop.
    2) Parties - They know how to throw down during company functions.
    3) Benefits - I probably won't come across a benefits package like theirs again.

Cons

1) Upper Management - They often ignore legitimate criticisms and don't see the potential in their own staff.
    2) Long Hours - This doesn't apply to everyone, but those who really care about the projects they're involved in seem to work 300% harder than their complacent counterparts (who outnumber them 10-to-1).
    3) No Room for Growth - There is no ladder to climb and there are hardly any opportunities to gain new skills. If professional development is important to you, I would highly suggest looking elsewhere.
    4) Compensation - This isn't really much of a con. It's a not-for-profit company, so low pay is almost an implication.

Advice to Management

Acknowledge the issues outlined in these reviews (and no, not the fake ones you've planted).

"Toxic Culture/Poor Leadership"

Former Employee - Education in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Education in Chicago, IL

Pros

Good location downtown. Easy commute

Cons

Leadership actually used a Townhall once to call all of employees sycophants and losers because we gossip! Leadership was out of touch, very clicky environment. Good people left constantly.

Advice to Management

Seriously, heed your own corporate jingos and start behaving like decent people.