American Society for Engineering Education Reviews | Glassdoor

CEO

"Stay away"

Former Employee - Program Assistant in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Program Assistant in Washington, DC

I worked at American Society for Engineering Education full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Can't really think of anything. There are a couple of departments that do some interesting work and bring large revenues to feed the entire organization. Others are full of incompetent people who are stuck there because they have nowhere else to go.

Cons

Boring place to work. The company's upper management is full of incompetent people, except few. The CEO is a very smart technocrat but lacks people skill. Communication is awful within the organization. Many people were recently laid off and staff did not know about it. No reward for hard work. There was no incentive for creativity. Am happy to leave the company.

Advice to Management

Improve communication. Recognize talents within the organization. Reward them for their hard work. Allocate resource for staff development and growth. If possible, get rid of incompetent managers and bring fresh blood who bring energy and fresh ideas to the company and take it out of ongoing financial conundrum.

2. "Ok"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

I worked at American Society for Engineering Education (More than a year)

Pros

Not man pros, but some of the coworkers were great

Cons

needs better organization it was not a great experience

3. "Great teams hampered by Weak Leadership"

Former Employee - Senior Web Developer in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Senior Web Developer in Washington, DC

I worked at American Society for Engineering Education full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

ASEE hires extremely talented individuals in the majority of the non-management roles. Your immediate coworkers will be some of the best people you ever work with. Benefits, as usual for a non-profit association, are good. Telework opportunities are present.

Cons

Senior leadership, starting from the very top, is under-performing and failing its staff. The executive director is out of touch with employees and headquarters and does not consistently demonstrate proficiency in executive leadership.

Advice to Management

Consider all of the major crises that the organization has sustained over the past decade and answer, honestly, whether the organization can grow and improve without addressing their source.

"Avoid"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

I have been working at American Society for Engineering Education full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

none- you don't want to work here unless you solely want a paycheck (not much at that, unless you are upper management) and nothing more out of a job.

Cons

Upper management doesn't know much. The Executive Director is a pompous jerk whom everyone in the office hates. Graphics dept is the only normal dept. Avoid every other dept! Turnover is insane. Every week someone would quit. In the 3 years that I worked there, I saw dozens of people come and go after a short while. Dont know how they manage to stay afloat with such high turnover rates.

Advice to Management

Learn your jobs.

"It was a job"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Pros

It is a generally positive workplace, usually low stress, depending on position. Some opportunities for advancement, efforts to promote from within when possible. The overall environment was good with friendly coworkers. It's in a great location. Benefits are good. Most people did not work overtime, and overtime was compensated with PTO. Recognition for good work.

Cons

There was no transparency from upper management. Things happened that would affect you and then you heard about them from the person sitting next to you, who heard it from the guy in the next office. There was a lot of bureaucracy for a small company. Efforts to foster a company community were often stifled by upper management. Some managers are incompetent liars. Some managers are just liars.

Advice to Management

Listen to your employees. Don't be secretive about things - employees have a right to know certain things. More transparency is good. Person A is gonna find out eventually if you picked Person B, so just tell everyone up front. Have a real open door policy. Don't lie to your employees, because they'll always find out.

7. "PhD Student Funded by ASEE"

Current Employee - PhD Candidate
    Current Employee - PhD Candidate

Pros

ASEE is responsive to all emails and phone calls, and experienced with managing the PhD students. They have been wonderful managers.

Cons

I have experienced no cons during my experience working with ASEE.

8. "Senior Development"

I have been working at American Society for Engineering Education full-time

Pros

good benefits, good location

Cons

I would like not to comment in this section

9. "Best Place"

I have been working at American Society for Engineering Education full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The benefits are very good. The staff is top notch and Senior Management and HR are turning things around. The staff use to be made up of complainers and "sour grapes" but new employees bring new fresh ideas and welcome positive attitudes. The locate is great and the hours and telework are good too.

Cons

The employees that complain about everything but do nothing to help improve situations. They need to move on and find other work.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work!

10. "Biggest mistake"

I have been working at American Society for Engineering Education full-time

Pros

Management is pretty lax on hours. A lot of employees get to work from home a couple of days there. I don't get to work from home, but I do my standard hours with an hour lunch everyday. For self, the company pays 100% of your premiums.

Cons

Where do I begin? The organization has a lot of turnover, I feel like top management does whatever they want to and the HR consists of one person who would rather gossip about employee affairs as opposed to keeping them confidential, as they should.

Advice to Management

Clean out top management and start fresh.

"Head for the hills...."

I have been working at American Society for Engineering Education full-time

Pros

Good location in Dupont.
    Good health insurance.

Cons

Very little benefits or PTO. Disconnect between staff and senior management. Severe lack of transparency with organization's financial situation (very bleak). A large number of staff seems to not do any work. Any decision takes months to actually be made, because of so much bureaucracy, back and forth. Office is gross (smells, dirty). Organization is stuck in the 90s.

Advice to Management

I think that management refuses to hear any advice, so it's pointless to provide.