American Society for Microbiology ASM Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-time Part-time

3.6
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Dr. Stefano Bertuzzi

1. "A good place to work"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

I worked at American Society for Microbiology ASM full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

My coworkers are amazing people that I am still close with; the benefits are really great; downtown location is excellent; most departments had actual offices (with doors and windows).

Cons

Little opportunity for advancement; very clunky management structure (though they're trying to change that); HR is not very helpful; no transparency.

Advice to Management

Recognize value in your employees and reward continued loyalty and excellence with promotions.

"Approach as a stepping stone"

Former Employee - Senior Program Specialist in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Senior Program Specialist in Washington, DC

I worked at American Society for Microbiology ASM full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Established and stable organization; great benefits and competetive pay; central DC location; engaged member committees that oversee the organization; some really great staff and colleagues to work with.

Cons

Silo-ed departments. There is a sense that political pandering amongst some departmental directors exposes staff to unnecessary stress and lack of leadership in HR backs any staff up when so exposed. Transitions in leadership have led to some gaps in terms of direction in specific departments: Marketing; HR, IT and admin; Journals; and, International. There is a paucity of 'safety nets' for staff that speak out. In addition, there are no continuing education or training opportunities even if job responsibilities change or require additional training.

Advice to Management

Create better controls for Directors to meet responsibilities; create a better staff capacity building framework that adapts to the needs and job descriptions and aligns with overall organizational direction; revamp HR to meet staff needs. The organization operates on an entirely top-down approach - technical and logistical staff input from the bottom up is not taken on board. A more bottoms-up approach without taking away from the member focused committee oversight structure of the Society would be much welcomed.

"Old school, high pay"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

I have been working at American Society for Microbiology ASM (Less than a year)

Pros

Great salaries, diverse, awesome HQ location, smart and funny colleagues.

Cons

Fuddy duddy attitude toward telecommuting, in the midst of major growing pains, lots of academic egos, departments work in silos. Takes 2 years for 403B to vest. Not super flexible in terms of work schedules (depending on your department).

4. "semiconductor cut back"

Former Employee - Senior Designer in Phoenix, AZ
    Former Employee - Senior Designer in Phoenix, AZ

I worked at American Society for Microbiology ASM full-time (More than a year)

Pros

r & d very interesting work

Cons

subject to the semiconductor economy

Advice to Management

none

5. "Copy Editor"

Former Employee - Copy Editor in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Copy Editor in Washington, DC

Pros

Bright, creative coworkers; good benefits and salaries; very high standards for editing

Cons

Pretty heavy workload to keep up with

"Loved this fellowship."

Former Employee - Congressional Fellow in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Congressional Fellow in Washington, DC

I worked at American Society for Microbiology ASM full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Friendly, professional staff who know what they are doing; interesting and timely events happen frequently at the headquarters, a great place to network and learn something new.

Cons

The fellowship program I enrolled in only lasted a year, and it was difficult finding employment in policy after only one year of training.

"ASM is by far the best employer I've had."

Current Employee - Editor in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Editor in Washington, DC

I have been working at American Society for Microbiology ASM full-time

Pros

I pay nothing for top-rated health insurance. They contribute to my retirement fund regardless of whether I do. Pay is excellent and awarded fairly. 12 yearly sick days that roll over if you don't use, start with 13 vacation days and then 20 after 3 years.

Cons

Hiring has slowed in my department. People leave and their positions are not filled, which creates a problem around the holidays and summer when everyone wants to take vacation.

"Great company but not a lot of room to move up"

Pros

My department has a great director and great colleagues. ASM has many great employees who are able to work together, across departments.

Cons

Some departments are not as great at communicating or have expressed concerns about their director's management. Not much room to work up the ladder.

Advice to Management

Continue to vocalize any changes that affect staff. With the change in leadership, there seems to be a bit of uncertainty of where we are headed but that can be expected.

"Mass Exodus from Meetings Department"

I worked at American Society for Microbiology ASM full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Pay and benefits are reasonable

Cons

Awful, terrible, no-good management of the meetings department. Head of department talks about superior, while exhibiting the the same behavior. If you don't enjoy extreme micromanagement, the current meetings department leadership isn't for you. Since new department leadership came in, 85% of department has left. Eeks! Head of department is indecisive and provides poor guidance. Second in department is incompetent, insecure, and meddlesome in other areas.

Advice to Management

My advice would be for someone to acknowledge the fact that an entire department turned over when leadership changed. It can't be an accident that everyone left.

"beware"

I worked at American Society for Microbiology ASM full-time

Pros

A great downtown location, easy commute via metro.

Cons

run, don't walk away from this once-great organization. New leadership is fiscally irresponsible to the point of questionable legal and ethical conduct. HR is all smoke and mirrors, benefits were great...ten years ago and haven't been recalculated since at least 2012. Sinking ship.