American Society of Anesthesiologists Reviews | Glassdoor

American Society of Anesthesiologists Reviews

Updated 27 Feb 2018

3.3
American Society of Anesthesiologists CEO 	Paul Pomerantz  (no image)
Paul Pomerantz

"Balanced Assessment"

I have been working at American Society of Anesthesiologists full-time

Pros

This is a medical specialty with a wonderful and impressive history. The vast majority of the members are great to work with. They are very smart and engaged and want to help advance the interests of the specialty. The ASA, itself, is one of the best managed medical specialty organizations in medicine. Excellent and dedicated physician leadership. Strong CEO. New C-suite team has brought energy and innovation... to the organization. While not consistent across all departments, most employees are loyal and help create a healthy and happy collaborative environment. Building is truly excellent. Very good compensation and benefits. One of the best 401Ks I have seen in a long time. Telework is part of the culture. People with a good work ethics (a real work ethic as judged by your boss, not you), who don't like drama, who are adaptable and learn quickly and who can really work collaboratively, can shine here.

Cons

The health care landscape is ever changing and evolving and this is impacting the practices of anesthesiologists. To keep up and serve its members, ASA has to be constantly changing and evolving. This can be tough at times. Priorities can change quickly. Your hard work on "the next big thing" could be tabled if circumstances change. And projects can be added to your assignments without lots of notice. That... can be frustrating. The physician members have high expectations and expect a lot out of ASA and its employees. They can be demanding. You will work hard here. This is not a place for slackers or clock watchers. Work/life balance is manageable.

Advice to Management

Help guide physician leaders in prioritizing projects and saying "no" to marginal ideas.

American Society of Anesthesiologists2018-01-30

"Overworked"

I worked at American Society of Anesthesiologists full-time

Pros

Insurance, 401k, people, people, people

Cons

Unrealistic expectations, stress, work load

American Society of Anesthesiologists2018-02-27

"Only for the lazy-minded..."

I worked at American Society of Anesthesiologists

Pros

Good, hardworking people. Good benefits.

Cons

HR is inexperienced and overstaffed while other departments are struggling to get things done because they are understaffed.

Advice to Management

Quit or actually do some work! Stop wearing out your staff members while you sit back and take credit for the good and point fingers on the bad.

American Society of Anesthesiologists2018-02-01

"Bad apples lead here"

I worked at American Society of Anesthesiologists full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

A lot of talented and dedicated staff and physician volunteers

Cons

CEO is tone deaf outside of CFO and some other exec staff.

Advice to Management

With CFO gone, perhaps there is now opportunity to focus on what matters to the members and the specialty.

American Society of Anesthesiologists2018-01-03

"Quality people, interesting work, solid tech, excellent benefits"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Schaumburg, IL

I have been working at American Society of Anesthesiologists full-time for less than a year

Pros

I joined for a new opportunity in the Digital Strategy team. There's a strong push from leadership to be "best in class" in all we do, among all organizations, which is an exciting opportunity for those who work comfortably with change.

Cons

Spent many years getting to work in downtown Chicago on public transit, so commuting by car was a concern. So far, it has been less of a challenge than I imagined.

Advice to Management

The benefits and work environment are strong selling points for new hires, but promoting how we compare to other associations and the for-profit world could be better communicated to staff.

American Society of Anesthesiologists2017-11-14

"Good place to work"

I have been working at American Society of Anesthesiologists full-time

Pros

The benefits are amazing. Great people to work with, casual dress and flexible work schedule. Depending on the department you work in, very manageable workload and work life balance. Realistic expectations are set. Overall a very good place to work.

Cons

There isn't always a lot of cooperation or communication between departments which can lead to some challenges. The members can be very difficult to work with. HR creates a lot of rewards programs for employees that all seem to be the same and are confusing as to why they are necessary.

Advice to Management

Focus less on creating programs to reward good behavior and change the culture- just lead by example instead.

American Society of Anesthesiologists2017-11-15

"Exciting Place for Creative and Forward Thinking People"

I have been working at American Society of Anesthesiologists full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

ASA staff are a lot of fun and high performing, results oriented people. The benefits and flexible work schedules are amazing. In education there are a lot of innovative and exciting opportunities happening and lots of interesting and creative projects come up frequently.

Cons

Along with new and exciting opportunities, also means that you have to be ok with thinking creatively to solve problems and “thinking on your feet.” If you have trouble in dealing with change, ASA is probably not for you.

American Society of Anesthesiologists2017-11-18

"Director"

I have been working at American Society of Anesthesiologists full-time

Pros

ASA is a great place to work- employee are engaged and hard working and the organization is dedicated to developing new products and fostering a creative and collaborative environment. The work is meaningful as the purpose of all that we do is to improve the quality care of patients. I am learning and growing as a professional every day, and feel appreciated, which to me is the end-all when evaluating your job... and employer.

Cons

There are numerous projects always going/being juggled - which can overwhelming but with the right attitude - can be exhilarating!

American Society of Anesthesiologists2017-11-14

"Great Culture and One of the Best Companies to Work For"

Former Employee - Instructional Designer in Schaumburg, IL

I worked at American Society of Anesthesiologists full-time for more than a year

Pros

One of the best company that I've ever worked for, the people make the place great! Between the pay, benefits, work environment, and culture I cannot name a single complaint. Did not want to leave but another opportunity with increased responsibilities presented itself. The CEO, managers, HR on down are supportive, helpful, hands-on, and approachable. I felt like HR and management truly invested in me and... valued me as an employee and a human being. You are given all the tools you need to succeed and if you use those, then you will do well. My job and team make it a pleasure to come into work every day and my opinions/thoughts were always heard.

Cons

In the whole scope of things, I really cannot think of any cons!

Advice to Management

Keep investing in people.

American Society of Anesthesiologists2017-10-15

"Best Employer I've Ever Worked For"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Schaumburg, IL

I have been working at American Society of Anesthesiologists full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Dynamic and fast-paced organization. High quality employees -- competent, professional, respectful, collaborative, and passionate about the mission and members. Excellent benefits, beautiful building, onsite fitness center, telecommuting and flexible schedules. Great HR team that cares about the employees and organization.

Cons

Heavy workloads, constant organizational change.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you are doing, while staying focused on ASA's values.

American Society of Anesthesiologists2017-10-04