American Solar & Roofing Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

2.3
Joy Seitz

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Good, honest local company"

I worked at American Solar & Roofing full-time

Pros

Co-workers are helpful and easy to get along with. Healthy office culture with lots of support.

Cons

Employee retention could be improved. Negatively impacts morale, and often leftover work and accounts get lost in the shuffle.

"Disturbing Place"

I worked at American Solar & Roofing full-time

Pros

The money was the only good part.

Cons

The boss is really disturbing.

Advice to Management

Good luck.

3. "Not Good, Man, Not Good"

Former Employee - Installer in Tempe, AZ
    Former Employee - Installer in Tempe, AZ

I worked at American Solar & Roofing full-time (More than a year)

Pros

My career really took off after I left.

Cons

The management is horrible...'nuff said.

Advice to Management

They don't take advice. They know all.

"outside sales"

Former Employee - Outside Sales Representative in Tempe, AZ
    Former Employee - Outside Sales Representative in Tempe, AZ

I worked at American Solar & Roofing full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

There would be zero pros about this company.

Cons

On its way out of the market. Owners are the worst at maintaining a business, little concern for the customers as well as the employees. It would be amazing if they have one employee happy to be working here, except for owner's wife who is ruining the business.

Advice to Management

Get rid of Joy and you will keep your employees and your business will succeed.

"Dont be fooled, this is a Ma & Pa run business with Ma being a micromanager to the fullest"

I worked at American Solar & Roofing full-time

Pros

Base plus commission, but commission is extremely low.

Cons

MicroManager Joy. When the people on the second floor hear her coming they call out a Joy alert. Just her walk is intimidating, but then the overbearing, over the shoulder, telling you what to do and how to do it gets old REAL fast.
    Joy, if not having a good day will fire someone that may not think her way or may have spoken up and gave advice....you are NOT allowed to think for yourself.
    Just down right micromanaged to death....all day.....every day....micromanaged by JOY

Advice to Management

Joy, hire an outside agency to run the business and GET OUT ! You may be able to save the company as you are so far behind the competition. Told Ya!

"Engineering"

I worked at American Solar & Roofing full-time

Pros

They have a nice looking office.

Cons

Management is running the business into the ground. Pay and benefits are not competitive. Workers are disrespected.

Advice to Management

The best employees always have options, the worse employees stay because they have little choice.

"Beware!"

Former Employee - Manager in Scottsdale, AZ
    Former Employee - Manager in Scottsdale, AZ

I worked at American Solar & Roofing full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

You can learn about solar industry.

Cons

Truly the most toxic environment I've ever worked in. The husband and wife owners control every single detail and strongly discourage independence, initiative, or creativity by employees. Co-workers merely talking or emailing each other is reprimanded. A lot of distrust and an atmosphere that puts people on guard. Working hours are closely monitored down to the minute. Strict to the point of paranoia. A lot of mind games. Betrayal by co-workers. CEO has manic/bi-polar tendencies: changing gears constantly with roller coaster moods. Founder/Husband goes along with it and doesn't stand up. Over 30 people let go in less than a year. Easy to have PTSD after working there.

Advice to Management

Realize what kind of environment you've created. Encourage CEO to get support for manic/bi-polar behavior. Ask yourselves if you dislike and distrust people to this degree, how can you run a successful business that will grow?

"Wolf in sheeps clothing"

Former Employee - OSA in Tempe, AZ
    Former Employee - OSA in Tempe, AZ

I worked at American Solar & Roofing full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

When I got the call for an interview, I talked a length to the interviewer , and was really impressed by what I heard. I had the feeling that it might be too good to be true but I went ahead and turned down multiple job offers and excepted hers. On my 1st day I was given a spot in a cubicle and was did all my new higher paperwork. I will say I was very impressed with the technology and business model implemented. After day one, I started to notice things that turned out to confirm my suspicions. There was no training what do ever. All I basically did the whole time I worked there was watch videos on you tube on how solar works. I'm pretty much an expert expert now. Every time I'd get an email saying there was training, no one was there with a few exceptions. I did a few ride alongs and taught myself their sales force program but never had any type of support. I asked and asked for the opportunity to show how well I could sell I was never given the chance. Beginning of week 3 I was called into the wolfs den and was told I was being let go. No reason, no explanation, no warning. Had I been asked to work on something or address an issue, I would have been all ears. She was very smug and arrogant as she walked me out.

Cons

I should have ran when I went into her office and she had Obama posters and Clinton support things all over. These people are loony to begin with. If your looking for a job where all the employees, including the brass, walk around dropping the F bomb constantly, talking about how drunk they got last night, think they are perfect people then this is your spot. If you have morals, class and self respect, run.

Advice to Management

Lighten up and get a clue.

"Great company gone wrong"

Former Employee - Operations Manager in Scottsdale, AZ
    Former Employee - Operations Manager in Scottsdale, AZ

I worked at American Solar & Roofing full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

When I started in the company pretty much everything seemed fantastic. Great company image, everyone worked hard, the company was growing extremely quickly and making more money than management knew how to handle. There was a good balance of power in upper management with start-up members heading each department and working together to keep the company on the straight and narrow. In particular, the two owners were a nice balance of attitudes and the head of the engineering department had a very level head to keep them in check. I can't speak for their practices now, but the owners and management before 2012 were very keen on quality workmanship and good customer service. They had a great reputation for clean, quick installations with few problems, and were very good about resolving issues that arose.

Cons

Around 2010 or so, the current CEO was hired as an assistant to the companies resident lobbyist, who worked hard on pushing solar incentive programs and other pro-solar programs in the state. She's pretty much a scheming housewife (imagine a character on Desperate Housewives,) and within a few months she had her feet kicked up on a desk in her own office across the hall from the then-CEO and owners office (now her husband.) The person she was hired to work under was let go in very short order despite having been in the company for several years prior, and seeing the writing on the wall I made other plans and found my way out. They do have a habit of firing or laying people off however (with no notice) and so I was also laid off under those circumstances; good thing I was expecting it (having discussed it with my own manager informally a few months prior, I left on friendly terms.) Having stayed in touch with friends under their employ I heard about her transition to power, and all of the start-up members have been let go, including the actual founder of the company. Around that same time the company ran into major financial problems due to their misspending, laid off probably a third to half of their construction workforce and a few people from management and were able to hang on to get where they are now. I would definitely NOT consider it a company to build a career in, but maybe a decent place to learn some basic skills.

Advice to Management

They don't want anyone else's advice, and those who offered it have mostly been let go from the company I imagine.

"Former employee"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Queen Creek, AZ
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Queen Creek, AZ

I worked at American Solar & Roofing (Less than a year)

Pros

Employees work well together to get job done.

Cons

No sense of being part of a team.