American Solar & Roofing Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-time Part-time

2.5
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Joy Seitz

"Great company gone wrong"

Former Employee - Operations Manager in Scottsdale, AZ
    Former Employee - Operations Manager in Scottsdale, AZ

I worked at American Solar & Roofing full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

When I started in the company pretty much everything seemed fantastic. Great company image, everyone worked hard, the company was growing extremely quickly and making more money than management knew how to handle. There was a good balance of power in upper management with start-up members heading each department and working together to keep the company on the straight and narrow. In particular, the two owners were a nice balance of attitudes and the head of the engineering department had a very level head to keep them in check. I can't speak for their practices now, but the owners and management before 2012 were very keen on quality workmanship and good customer service. They had a great reputation for clean, quick installations with few problems, and were very good about resolving issues that arose.

Cons

Around 2010 or so, the current CEO was hired as an assistant to the companies resident lobbyist, who worked hard on pushing solar incentive programs and other pro-solar programs in the state. She's pretty much a scheming housewife (imagine a character on Desperate Housewives,) and within a few months she had her feet kicked up on a desk in her own office across the hall from the then-CEO and owners office (now her husband.) The person she was hired to work under was let go in very short order despite having been in the company for several years prior, and seeing the writing on the wall I made other plans and found my way out. They do have a habit of firing or laying people off however (with no notice) and so I was also laid off under those circumstances; good thing I was expecting it (having discussed it with my own manager informally a few months prior, I left on friendly terms.) Having stayed in touch with friends under their employ I heard about her transition to power, and all of the start-up members have been let go, including the actual founder of the company. Around that same time the company ran into major financial problems due to their misspending, laid off probably a third to half of their construction workforce and a few people from management and were able to hang on to get where they are now. I would definitely NOT consider it a company to build a career in, but maybe a decent place to learn some basic skills.

Advice to Management

They don't want anyone else's advice, and those who offered it have mostly been let go from the company I imagine.

"Beware!"

Former Employee - Manager in Scottsdale, AZ
    Former Employee - Manager in Scottsdale, AZ

I worked at American Solar & Roofing full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

You can learn about solar industry.

Cons

Truly the most toxic environment I've ever worked in. The husband and wife owners control every single detail and strongly discourage independence, initiative, or creativity by employees. Co-workers merely talking or emailing each other is reprimanded. A lot of distrust and an atmosphere that puts people on guard. Working hours are closely monitored down to the minute. Strict to the point of paranoia. A lot of mind games. Betrayal by co-workers. CEO has manic/bi-polar tendencies: changing gears constantly with roller coaster moods. Founder/Husband goes along with it and doesn't stand up. Over 30 people let go in less than a year. Easy to have PTSD after working there.

Advice to Management

Realize what kind of environment you've created. Encourage CEO to get support for manic/bi-polar behavior. Ask yourselves if you dislike and distrust people to this degree, how can you run a successful business that will grow?

"Wolf in sheeps clothing"

Former Employee - OSA in Tempe, AZ
    Former Employee - OSA in Tempe, AZ

I worked at American Solar & Roofing full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

When I got the call for an interview, I talked a length to the interviewer , and was really impressed by what I heard. I had the feeling that it might be too good to be true but I went ahead and turned down multiple job offers and excepted hers. On my 1st day I was given a spot in a cubicle and was did all my new higher paperwork. I will say I was very impressed with the technology and business model implemented. After day one, I started to notice things that turned out to confirm my suspicions. There was no training what do ever. All I basically did the whole time I worked there was watch videos on you tube on how solar works. I'm pretty much an expert expert now. Every time I'd get an email saying there was training, no one was there with a few exceptions. I did a few ride alongs and taught myself their sales force program but never had any type of support. I asked and asked for the opportunity to show how well I could sell I was never given the chance. Beginning of week 3 I was called into the wolfs den and was told I was being let go. No reason, no explanation, no warning. Had I been asked to work on something or address an issue, I would have been all ears. She was very smug and arrogant as she walked me out.

Cons

I should have ran when I went into her office and she had Obama posters and Clinton support things all over. These people are loony to begin with. If your looking for a job where all the employees, including the brass, walk around dropping the F bomb constantly, talking about how drunk they got last night, think they are perfect people then this is your spot. If you have morals, class and self respect, run.

Advice to Management

Lighten up and get a clue.

"Former employee"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Queen Creek, AZ
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Queen Creek, AZ

I worked at American Solar & Roofing (Less than a year)

Pros

Employees work well together to get job done.

Cons

No sense of being part of a team.

"Outside Sales Representative"

Former Employee - Outside Sales Representative in Tempe, AZ
    Former Employee - Outside Sales Representative in Tempe, AZ

Pros

Initially it was a positive place to work until you see the dysfunctional relationship with CEO & president towards their employees. It is positive that you are helping customers become environmentally conscious.

Cons

Very negative & non team environment. Company wants to compete with big solar companies but negativity breeds lack of success.

Advice to Management

Replace the CEO since she is toxic to your business model & employee morale.

7. "Enthusiastic Approach to Success"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Tempe, AZ

Pros

Helpful co-workers, exciting opportunities, advancement opportunities, employee appreciation. Management gives the employees a chance to take part in goal setting, problem solving and makes everyone feel like they are a part of the bigger picture. I really enjoy watching people succeed in this company.

Cons

Nothing I can think of

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work!

8. "Accounting Department"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Tempe, AZ

I have been working at American Solar & Roofing full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great open door policy and understanding of employees concerns. Opportunities to learn for advancement. Comfortable environment. Overall my experience working for the company has been great!

Cons

As of now, I have no cons on the company.

Advice to Management

Management team is awesome!

"Changing with the times and tons of learning opportunities"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Scottsdale, AZ
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Scottsdale, AZ

I have been working at American Solar & Roofing full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- Working with a great group of team players & friendly customers
    - Excellent work conditions
    - Many opportunities to learn your craft better
    - Great exposure

Cons

I think of these as not cons but areas that can be improved for the better:

- More all company events to help every co-worker get to know each other
    - Better lunch room so that co-workers can gather together

"Abysmal Company!"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Scottsdale, AZ

I worked at American Solar & Roofing full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Some really great people work or have worked here. Unfortunately, all the good ones have left, were laid off or are actively seeking other employment.

Cons

They treat you like a child--they actually keep tabs on when you arrive & leave to make sure you work a full 8 hours each day and that you never arrive later than 8:04 AM. (Almost everyone is a salaried employee too!) They have a lame PTO policy and don't pay out any unused earned time upon termination. You're required to use PTO if you don't work at least 8 hours in a day--whether or not you already worked over 40 hours that week. Absolutely no flexibility on work schedules. Pay is awful and although annual reviews are promised, they aren't ever actually given. They recently stopped their contributions to the company 401(k) plan due to finances. Don't cross the new CEO (2nd wife of former CEO) or you won't keep your job. She has her hands in EVERYTHING and she contaminates EVERYTHING she touches!

Advice to Management

Let managers manage their employees without the CEO's constant meddling. The HR department should be a voice and resource for the employees, not solely the CEO. Treat employees with respect.

"Management changes (01/2011) were necessary to some degree; unfortunately the morale has steadily declined since then."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Scottsdale, AZ

Pros

The co-founder Will Herndon is probably the most genuine person you'll ever meet. Also, the products are from quality suppliers.

Cons

Poor sense of direction and unrealistic expectations. Insatiable higher-ups created a difficult environment to thrive in.

Advice to Management

Implement consistency and clarity for future outlook/directives; increase morale by rebuilding some sort of support system back for employees.