American Trading International Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-time Part-time

3.4
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Seth Merrick Wilen

"Great company and individuals"

Former Employee - Export Accounts Coordinator in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Export Accounts Coordinator in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at American Trading International full-time (More than a year)

Pros

It has been a pleasure and honor to work with ATI this past year. This is a very talented bunch of individuals and I’ve been challenged in so many ways here to become a better person and overall employee. I’ve made so many wonderful friendships here and met some really amazing people. I wish all of you many successes in your future endeavors and hope you all make the most of your time here at ATI. The Company is growing in a new, exciting direction. The Company has a great company culture with fun events, clubs, and teams working cross-functionally.

Cons

I made a decision to leave the company because I accepted a position more aligned to my interests, but I am sad that I will no longer be part of ATI. My decision to leave certainly was not an easy one, but I am very grateful that I had the chance to work here and learn everything I did—ATI really is a special place.

"Logistics"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at American Trading International (More than 3 years)

Pros

1. The company pays for your medical / dental insurance.
    2. Co-workers are great!
    3. Casual work wear.

Cons

1. ATI likes to micro-manage employees
    2. High turnover
    3. The owner can be very controlling

"Better and better"

I worked at American Trading International full-time (More than a year)

Pros

When I first got there, it seemed that this place was not going to be to my liking. The way things are run and how the system is structured, is different than most other places and I think that is what might drive people away. However, once you adjust to the way things operate, it becomes very easy and second nature. It's simply a manner of being patient and taking the time to learn their methods, before having negative judgments. Most negative reviews I believe were created by short-term employees that were impatient.

It helps that during my time there, the owners and management made huge improvements on how the company runs. They did a lot to boost morale and motivation. Here is a list:

- Divided departments into teams to make them run more efficiently
    - Canceled weekly meetings that were unnecessary
    - Created weekly meetings that were necessary
    - Expanded the office to allow more space so teams can sit in closer proximity
    - Assigned junior staff customers to work with on a continuous basis
    - Assigned junior staff regions of the U.S. to specialize
    - Allowed employees to have their own systems that helps them operate best, without interfering

Also, in terms of administration, the owners really care about retention and keeping their employees happy to be there. Here are some benefits they added during my time:
    - 401k
    - Increase sick leave
    - HSA
    - Increased time off
    - Happy Hours

The owners do care and it definitely shows.

Furthermore, if you're interested in international trade, it's definitely a good place to begin your career. You learn about custom regulations, country to country laws, logistical practices and more. Also, it allows you to stay on top of current events more than most industries. During meetings you discuss how current events (wars, weather, diseases, recalls, etc) might change your game plan for future shipments.

Most importantly though, the employees there are some of the most amazing people I've met. The vast majority of them are incredibly intelligent, insightful, funny, caring and witty.

Cons

So here are the few reasons this place didn't get 5 stars:
    - Employees don't have the opportunity to show off/demonstrate their abilities to their full potential. (This is important to me, but it might not be to a lot of people)
    - Shared accounts are frustrating for most junior staff

Again, these are just my preference and it might not matter to some

Advice to Management

Let your employees show off. Their is suppressed talent because the system doesn't allow them to show what they have to offer. Also, when a staff member has an issue with a vendor, take the side of the staff member. It'll improve trust and morale.

"Great Team, Exciting Company"

Current Employee - Director in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Director in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at American Trading International full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

I’ve been an employee at ATI for 8 years and feel very proud and privileged to be working at such a diverse and dynamic international enterprise. The opportunities, challenges, and rewards have been very exciting and immensely satisfying. I have an education rooted in the field of international business and there isn’t a day that goes by that I don’t get to apply what I have been passionate about from the start. I have had the opportunity to work in all departments (sales and logistics) and am grateful to have gone from Coordinator to Manager to Director. The company enjoys an excellent reputation in their industry, is very well established, and has won several awards and accolades for it’s achievements.

Pro’s:
    • Interact with people from all over the world (both in the office and all of our overseas customers)
    • Opportunities to use your foreign language (more than 20 spoke in the office already!) and culture (company is very culturally sensitive and takes pride in respecting different cultures)
    • Travel (company does business in over 80 markets)
    • Respectful – to customers, suppliers, and employees that work here
    • Talented People who’s ideas and solutions are listened to, respected, and often implemented
    • Productive & Comfortable Office Environment (now even more with a $150+ K office expansion) and the only company I am aware of that utilizes SAP in the industry
    • Excellent Opportunities for Growth (not only for the individual, but for the company at large)
    • Limitless Boundaries / Long-Term Potential
    • Freedom to explore and create your own path, direction, and opportunities
    • High Expectations
    • The President / CEO is an excellent role model and extremely accomplished for his age. Compared to other CEO’s I have known he is very considerate, kind, and passionate about what he does, the company, and everyone who works for him (especially management). I consider him a mentor and a friend.
    • Excellent reputation in the industry (both domestic suppliers, and overseas customers). All of our competitors always want to be us!

Cons

• Because the company has grown so much so fast in the past 10+ yr it still feels like there is a lot of catching up to do in terms of procedure, policy, training, and management; however the company has always been very open to change and flexible when it comes to adding new policies, procedures, and management and I am proof of that.
    • Too young. Even though the company has been around for 20+ years they have made mistakes hiring too many people at once that were too young and too inexperienced (both in the workplace and in life) which has led to higher turn-over in that group. This goes hand-in-hand with maturity. This fortunately is changing, but has been an unwanted distraction when so many are focused on growing and taking things to the next level.
    • Something that the company has not been addressing properly are inaccurate posts on Glassdoor. This company is obviously not for everyone. We only want employees who love their work, responsibilities, and what they do and are truly “international” and “like-minded” individuals. The company has an excellent reputation and image in the industry with suppliers and customers alike. This is something we are most proud of and has taken more than 20 years to achieve.

Advice to Management

We have accomplished and achieved so much in such a relatively short period of time. I applaud not only our management team, but all the 4, 5, and 6+ year employees that have been the backbone of the organization and our success. Keep up the good work! Lots of more exciting times to come!

"Great First Job"

Former Employee - Export Logistics Coordinator in Los Angeles, CA

Pros

Like the title says, this is a great first job to have. Lots to learn about a dynamic, global business.

Cons

Where to start, this is a small company and you can tell by their approach to their staff. Very micro-managed to the point of being counterproductive. There are clearly people who are preferred by management over others despite lesser experience, education, or aptitude. The overall mood in the office was never happy - more secretive and spiteful. ALL emails are read and shared. If this is your first job it will do - but if you've ever run a department, owned your own business, or are an independent thinking kind of person - odds are you will not feel comfortable here. I personally NEVER want to work for a company where I would need to work for 4,5,6 years to feel like an integral part of a company.

Advice to Management

I would suggest giving your employees the respect and dignity of handling their own workload without having to answer to the entire chain of command for one email. Oh, and stop bcc'ing. It's sneaky, and if I were a customer I would not want to find out that there are people in on my conversations that I don't know about.

"Export Logistics Coordinator"

I worked at American Trading International full-time (More than a year)

Pros

-Get to learn quickly about the ins and outs of the export logistics scope
    -Sales managers are very helpful
    -Attention to detail is key when dealing with P.O.s and Pro Formas
    -You have to be quick on your feet and display knowledge and a desire to learn about sales if you want to move forward into sales

Cons

High Turnover rate; which may result in employee discouragement.

Advice to Management

Improve culture and more team building skills to encourage more employee cohesiveness.

"Big Brother"

Former Employee - International Logistics Coordinator in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - International Logistics Coordinator in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at American Trading International full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

My time at the company was brief but it seemed to me all the employees were oppressed by Big Brother. Everyone looked over their shoulder and whispered so as to not be heard by management. Emails are read by management and it almost seems that they do not even like their employees to smile. You cannot have a good time working there.

Cons

Cons are many. Only work there while looking for other jobs if you can handle Big Brother watching your every move.

Advice to Management

Morale was very low when I got there and even lower when I left. If you make employees happy they will work more effectively.

"Not So Bad After All"

Former Employee - International Trade Coordinator in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - International Trade Coordinator in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at American Trading International full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I was able to work with major domestic manufacturers and International buyers in a short period of time, and I was able to learn how to negotiate and organize myself as a professional. Even though I did not have experience in this industry I came from a completely different background (but was still in sales) but was given the opportunity to learn International Business and Food and Beverage Industry. Given that I am currently looking for employment I look back on my experience at ATI and realize that I did not really appreciate the opportunities that I was given at the time or the willingness of the company to teach me how to maximize my potential while growing the sales for the company. There are some excellent opportunities at this company especially coming from someone who has had 2 jobs since – both that promised more but turned out to be much less.

Cons

Since I came from a sales background in a different industry I thought that I would be able to pick up and just start selling, however I quickly learned that International Sales is much different than domestic sales and even a traditional sales position that I have held at several other companies. It can be frustrating to someone that is used to producing immediate results or landing accounts quickly. International sales takes a lot of time and is not for everyone, especially not people that think they are “sales” people. This position required working on several leads over 6 months to over a year in order to come to a completed order. That being said working in the international arena is still very exciting and every day is different. Not everyone can handle that and not everyone can deal with situations that change from deal to deal with no set equation on success. While I was at ATI I saw several new employees that were just out of school that came in and really thought that they were going to conquer the world but that is not the case, this position takes time and patience to learn, it is only after a good solid year that you really understand what you are doing and working on. Even after several years and developing my own accounts I was constantly challenged with new issues and problems that I had never worked on or dealt with before in any employment. Looking back I regret that I did not have more patience and realization for the unique opportunity that I was being given, especially the opportunity to travel overseas for the company.

Advice to Management

Stop hiring people straight out of school or ones that can’t seem to hold a job anywhere for more than 1 year at time (no matter how many languages they speak); it is hurting the sales dept to be constantly training and dealing with employees that don’t know what they are doing and that only use ATI as a stepping stone (because they don’t know better) and not interested in long-term careers at the company. Many of these employees bad mouth management behind your back and from what I witnessed it was just the immaturity and insecurity of these employees rather than any real issues. After leaving ATI for another job I realize from working in some really demanding and strenuous situations that these employees are just looking for excuses to complain and do not appreciate the amazing opportunity and company that they are working for.

"Good Company"

I worked at American Trading International full-time (More than a year)

Pros

My experience at this company was very good, I was able to learn a lot about coordination and managing multiple tasks at once. I found it rewarding that as an entry level employee I was given the ability to work on an order from start to finish and not just one small part of a process like at other jobs I’ve had. I don’t have a problem being accountable for my work so this was a good for me.

Cons

This company is flexible on letting people have off for work so it was hard to sometimes reach a supervisor for approval on problems.

Advice to Management

Don't be so forgiving to the sales department when they make the errors that logistics has to clean up.

"Limited growth within the company. Definitely a Big Brother atmosphere, very uncomfortable."

I worked at American Trading International full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Working in the field of international business and meeting people of various backgrounds.

Cons

Management is subpar and lack in productive communication with their staff.

Advice to Management

Listen to staff suggestions without being so defensive.