American Training, Inc. Reviews | Glassdoor

1.8
  1. "Program Manager"

Former Employee - Program Director in Lawrence, MA

I worked at American Training, Inc. full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Flexible work hours. Wonderful Supervisor Allowed to treat your programs as your own

Cons

On call 24 hours long hours to much paper work

Advice to Management

Visit program in the field more often

American Training, Inc.2016-06-30
  2. "Great Services Provided for People"

Former Employee - Human Resources and Training Coordinator in Andover, MA

I worked at American Training, Inc. full-time for more than a year

Pros

The services provided to Guests and Colleagues, and the staff overall were great.

Cons

Disorganization and a lack of communication.

Advice to Management

There is a great deal of room for more organization and communication between staff within departments and between different departments.

American Training, Inc.2019-10-10
  3. "Various"

I have been working at American Training, Inc. part-time

Pros

Relaxed environment great people to work with

Cons

Lack of communication and management

Advice to Management

Communicate with your employees don’t just rush them off and yes then to death

American Training, Inc.2019-01-11
  4. "Nothing WOW! Magic About This Place"

I worked at American Training, Inc. full-time for more than a year

Pros

Working with certain Colleagues and Guests.

Cons

Stay away from this organization. Trust me don’t bother to apply here. Go to another organization if your just trying to get experience. It’s not worth it. Anyone working here will tell you. Everyone here is fake. Starting with the big guy. That WOW! Magic philosophy is all bull. They will become world famous for the wrong reasons. They place will never be or come close to being like Disney. As long as the... big guy is running this place, he just going to run it to the ground. They expect you to put this place before your family We are know through the community with our business partners and vendors as difficult to work with, and like everyone owes us something. We have no idea what has happened to this place. Like 5 to 6 years ago this place was not like this. Person running People and Culture needs to loosen up and not let the guy get to her like he has already. What a change from when she started to now. Everyone in the organization has noticed this. People running program and residential. Treat your Colleagues like they are people. Everyone knows not to trust yous. You go to your puppeteer for everything like everyone says. Like others reviews say. The micromanaging in this place is out of hands. That’s why people can’t do their job, because it’s out of hands and to much pressure. We can be here all day.

Advice to Management

Stop brown nosing, and stick up for your self and your Colleagues.

American Training, Inc.2018-06-03
  5. "These past reviews don’t lie. Stay Away!"

I have been working at American Training, Inc. part-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Holidays, pto, vacation and depending who you work for in a department.

Cons

Omg! Like everything. Too much to list. Just read other reviews. With the way this place treats its employees, we should all should be making over $20 an hour with all the benefits and 401k. This place is really going down. It was a good place to work. People are very miserable here. They are slowly loosing all the good people. So many Colleagues quietly looking for other jobs or just looking to quit.... Then they are letting go so many good people for very dumb things. They will though tell you their version of why they had to be let go, wich is what’s convenient for them to tell you. The ones they should be trusting or treating very well, they don’t, but again that’s everyone in the company. We all feel forced to have to lie if we get asked if we like working here, and trust me we all lie. I do it and I’ve seen plenty of other Colleagues lie when asked what they think of American Training lol... you won’t last long working here if your honest. It’s so true what other reviews said. The micromanaging in this place is out of hand. Your expected to do more work than you would do working anywhere else. What’s crazy is, that every Colleague to even Managers know this and everyone talks amongst each other, but are afraid to speak up. What’s also awful is how the big guy, like other reviewers have said, has his like 3 or 4 puppets (program/Residential/maintenance Managers) going back to him for everything or acting like him. The Managers here are quick to throw people under the bus for no reason, just to please the big guy. Everyone is checked on and treated like kids. People are hired for their positions and treated like they don’t know what they are doing and micromanaged by everone above. You don’t see this anywhere else like you do here. They think this WOW! Thing makes people want to work here, but Colleagues are telling people to do the opposite and go elsewhere.

Advice to Management

My advice to Management and for everyone else is to get out of there while they can. If this place cant see what your worth is and really be treated like a Colleague and let you do the job you were hired for and be micromanaged then get out.

American Training, Inc.2018-05-12

"It used to be a great place to work."

I have been working at American Training, Inc.

Pros

Trust me... the only pros of working here are the holidays, pto, vacation and the Guests we serve. Nothing else. This really used to be a great place to work, but for like the past 7 to 6 years, this place has been slowly going downhill.

Cons

I’m speaking for a lot of people in all the departments that feel the same way. People here are just afraid to speak up and say something. If you don't do or agree with the big guy start looking for another job, because they will find a way to eventually get rid of you. Treats everyone like a puppet. Has people here nervous and afraid of him. Want to know more about him, just read some of the other reviews.... I’m not even going to get into the out of control WOW! Magic. They think that this philosophy makes the company a great place to work. It sounds great, until you start physically working here. Managers, Colleagues and departments are clueless of what’s going on between each other sometimes. Too many people involved on working and making decisions on the same things and no communication. There’s a hand-full of Managers who think they are better and more important than the other. You have Managers who act like they do a lot and pass their work on and then take credit for everything. It’s like being back in high school in this place with Colleagues. Colleagues create their own clicks and exclude others. Too much gossiping. This place likes to over work you and your expected to put this place first. Your expected to do more than what your hired for. If you come to work here, expect your life to revolve around American Training. People here are tired of getting in trouble for no reason. Stop waiting till the last minute to rush people to get things done. People are expected to get things done in a rush on top of everything else they have to do and everything else they keep throwing your way, but they think you don't have enough. Managers in Residential and especially in Program need to get with it and be more involved in their departments than just sitting in their office. Stop spending much of your time in your offices with the doors closed gossiping like you’re getting work done while your Colleagues under you do the work and then you take credit for everything going on. Managers and Colleagues here are quick to throw each other under the bus. Then we all get spoken to and written up for ridiculous things that we have absolutely no control over, no matter how hard we try to address the issue. We need not to forget and to keep in mind the type of people who we are providing a service to. The person in Maintenance should know better than that. Like work with everyone, were supposed to be working together. We know you don't have it easy but stop running back to your puppeteer for everything. You'll be next to go once he has no use for you. All of the above is due to the big persons MICROMANAGEMENT and his UNREALISTIC GOALS and ways of how he thinks things are done. It’s bad when everyone in the company knows this. He needs to let his Managers and Colleagues do what they are hired for and stop trying to be so involved, which is not helping at all. Everyone in that place is working under so much stress because of it.

Advice to Management

No advice to Management. As long as the big guy has his crazy ways of how he thinks a business is run and MICROMANAGING his Managers which then they pass the stress down to other Colleagues, nothing is going to change in that place.

American Training, Inc.2018-03-31
  7. "WOW! and not in a good way."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Andover, MA

I worked at American Training, Inc. full-time

Pros

Alot of great and dedicated Colleagues to work with, that are not treated or appreciated the way they should be. Wonderful Guests we serve. You get a good amount of paid time off, vacation and holidays. Great events celebrated through out the year for Colleagues, Guest and the community.

Cons

Where do I even start. Too much to list here. When I first started. I did not understand the rumors/gossip about the President & CEO of the company. Now I understand!!! The micromanaging that the President & CEO practices in this place, and has his managers do, is just way out of hand. You would need to work here to understand, experience it and to believe it. Its something you would never experience... anywhere else at that level. The micromanaging won’t help you get things done, and won’t help employees do their jobs better than they can. Why hire people? If you can do their job better. Colleagues are given more to do, than they can handle. It’s like your expected to put the company before anything else and your personal life. He gives people goals with the most unrealistic timelines. Expects things to get done at the blink of an eye. Wake up! It’s doesnt work like that in real life. Like other reviews say, this CEO doesn’t trust any of his employees. There is so much back stabbing in this place, because of him. it’s unbelievable. People are intimidated by him and avoid him at all costs. They feel like eyes are constantly watching them. I've never seen an organization or company have so many unproductive meetings with its employees like this place has. You come out of these meeting with nothing. If you even disagree or go against him or any other Managers or supervisors, for doing your job. You might as well walk out or give your 2 weeks, because trust me... they will find a way to get rid of you. The WOW! Philosophy is a great idea. I find nothing wrong with it. Though it’s handled the wrong way. Like another reviewer said, they try to shove it down your throat. Yes, everyone should be expected to follow the WOW! Philosiphy and apply WOW! Magic to everything everyday and provide WOW! customer service. Though they to stop forcing people to participate in eveything. They need commitees dedicated for certain events etc.. Reward the employees that participate, and then the other Collegues will see it. Thats how it works in other companies like Disney, Google and others. The worst thing is forcing people to participate in things they dont want to. What I learned being there, is that everyone feels the same way and it’s the rumor and gossip that’s talked about. Everyone and even Managers are afraid to say anything though. The Colleagues are the ones making American Training the great place it can be to work for. The President & CEO though is doing the opposite for everyone. People are fed up with it and are getting tired of it, but unfortunately nothing is going to change, because the people there are intimidated and afraid of him to speak up. They are slowly going to loose their good Colleagues, due to his wrongfull ways of he thinks things work. The

Advice to Management

Act like adults and Managers. It’s like kindergarten and grammar school in this place. Every Manager here thinks they are more important than the other. This is all due again to the President and CEO. Admin and Managers need to speak up. They are afraid to speak up to him, and nothing is going to change. Its his way (because hes always right and his way is the right way) or go work somewhere else.

American Training, Inc.2018-02-03
  8. "Program Director"

Program Director in Andover, MA

I worked at American Training, Inc. for more than 5 years

Pros

Co- workers were great fun place to work .

Cons

No change of advancements. no raises and more and more responsibilities.

Advice to Management

Give cost of living raises

American Training, Inc.2017-10-16

"Right now there is nothing WOW! about working for the company. It’s all show."

I worked at American Training, Inc. full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

The Guest and Colleagues are what make the place a great place to work, and the time off you get.

Cons

Im saying this, not because I don't work there anymore. I left on my own, i was not fired. I wish I still worked there, because it can be an awesome place to work. Im speakingout out because I know how everyone there feels in all the different locations, homes and positions to all the way up to the top management level, but everyone is just are afraid to say anything and will never dare to admit it. Colleagues... there are known to throw people under the bus for no reason. People there can’t be adults and try to solve things on their own, but instead go right away running like little kids to the President & CEO, wich he expects people to do and that’s why the place has become a joke. Don’t trust the Colleagues that work close with him, that he has there as his pets. They kiss his behind, and will be quick to throw you under the bus to score some brownie points. Everyone knows who they are. The President & CEO can be a two face. He’s nice in your face, and then its a different Story when he closes the door behind him to his conference room. He has other people do the dirty work for him, so he can still look like he’s the nice guy to everyone. But he ain’t fooling people there. I still keep in contact with people in all different positions, and feel bad for all the Colleagues working there all the way up to Management. The President & CEO has everyone there stressed and on edge. He thinks he can do everyones job better than they can. Im speaking for everyone there, because not anyone will dare to speak up. Its sad that everyone in this company is afraid off him. Even when Colleagues know their doing nothing wrong and see him pulling in his car or walking into any of the properties, they freak out, and that’s bad! He stresses Management and then they pass that stress on to the rest of the Colleagues, which then gets passed on to the Guests. Your expected to do more and way more than you would anywhere else for less pay, and expect you to put American Training first before anything else. There’s Colleagues that feel guilty and buy tickets they cant afford sometimes for Galas and other events, that they don’t even go too, and just give them to anyone because if they at least don’t buy a ticket, they feel they will be targeted. They try using the, It’s for the Guests, all the time for everything to make you feel guilty. We know who we serve and why we work here. Ive worked for both big non-profit and large successful companies, and I've never seen an owner not trust his employees, stress the people out and micromanage like he does. Don't get me wrong, this is not to bash the owner or discredit the company. American Training can be a great place to work. We know he built this company and Its his pride and joy, but the owner needs to back off a little, trust his employees and let people do their job. The President & CEO can be a nice guy when he wants to and can mean well, but he needs to relax. He has People stressing going to work every morning. The people there are starting to get tired of it though. Don’t be surprised when the company starts to slowly loose all its good employees that they should really be appreciating. Right now the whole WOW! Magic is all smoke and mirrors like another reviewer posted. People get what they are trying to do with the WOW! Magic, but it needs to be handled a different way or people are going to quit. Thats not the way Disney, Universal, Apple, and Google treat their employees to make it a great place to want to come to work at.

Advice to Management

Start to make it a place where people feel they can be trusted, treated like adults, and not feel like they are being watched at all times like they are kids.

American Training, Inc.2017-11-10
  10. "Work in the business office or at LARE Institute"

I worked at American Training, Inc. full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

The events are fun, the building is beautiful, and the people served there are great.

Cons

The company desperately needs more colleagues in the day program and more management for the homes. Unfortunately they are not willing to hire additional people and pay the existing colleagues enough to make them want to stay. They also ram the Wow! Magic philosophy down people's throats to the point where it feels like all the work done is just never enough.

Advice to Management

Hire more people and pay them well enough to make all the extra work they do worth it.

American Training, Inc.2017-10-04